Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default when an ebay buyer doesn't pay the listed shipping?

OK, so a guy wins an auction from me for $100 six days ago, makes a payment for the card today, but doesn't send money for the shipping ($2), which is clearly listed in the original/completed listing and the invoice. I emailed to ask for the $2 he didn't send. He writes back, "The listing said 'free shipping'...call me if you want to", and leaves me his phone number.

What is wrong with people? Can someone please explain this to me?
REDSOX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Link to the auction and his user ID plz
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default pm sent

pm sent.....................
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

How bout posting the link here for others to judge?

If the listing said free shipping in one place and $2 in another, just own up to the mistake and let it go. Do you really want to lose the $100 sale over $2?

If not, well then...same situation applies, but just block the bidder in the future.
cmnkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah post a link to the listing so we can check it out....what im guessing happend here was where you place your bid it said FREE SHIPPING so the buyer assumed shipping was free and thats how the invoice was sent to him regardless of whether or not your had $2 shipping charge in the item description. So basically whatever price you put in the shipping box goes.

And as another member said what the hell is $2 bucks, yeah it may be annoying that you have to pay the $1.75 shipping now but it sounds like it was your mistake and I would loose out on a $100 sale for that
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Both the listing and the invoice, which I copied to myself, state the s/h cost @ $2. The guy is just being difficult and wants to save $2. Ebay verified for me that nowhere did it state "free shipping" for him.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOX2011 View Post
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Both the listing and the invoice, which I copied to myself, state the s/h cost @ $2. The guy is just being difficult and wants to save $2. Ebay verified for me that nowhere did it state "free shipping" for him.
You have a shipping option of "FREE local pickup". On some smart phones, the eBay app will automatically choose the lowest shipping cost for the buyer, thus he may have never seen the $2 option, even though you list that $2 option first.

These eBay smart phone apps are causing all kinds of problems. I'm not 100% sure this is what happened here, but I've had this happen on a few transactions already.

I don't list any extra shipping options anymore. just the base shipping cost for USA First Class Mail, or whatever the default may be.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

so you are moaning about $2 on a card that sells for $65 that you sold for $99.99

Raimel Tapia was born to hit baseballs
gunshowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
You have a shipping option of "FREE local pickup". On some smart phones, the eBay app will automatically choose the lowest shipping cost for the buyer, thus he may have never seen the $2 option, even though you list that $2 option first.

These eBay smart phone apps are causing all kinds of problems. I'm not 100% sure this is what happened here, but I've had this happen on a few transactions already.

I don't list any extra shipping options anymore. just the base shipping cost for USA First Class Mail, or whatever the default may be.
my eBay app on my droid doesnt show auctions as OBO either

Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I see that "free shipping" is not mentioned anywhere in the listing. As much as I'd like to tell buyers like this to go bone themselves, you did get a lot more for that card than it usually sells for, so if I were you, I'd bite my lips and ship it free. I would also place the bidder on my block list so that I don't encounter that penny pincher again in the future.
cmnkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshowboy View Post
my eBay app on my droid doesnt show auctions as OBO either
I'm sure they'll get these problems hammered out soon. But it takes time. eBay is not an easy thing to build a smart phone app for. There's bound to be hundreds of bugs.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxbam619 View Post
yeah post a link to the listing so we can check it out....what im guessing happend here was where you place your bid it said FREE SHIPPING so the buyer assumed shipping was free and thats how the invoice was sent to him regardless of whether or not your had $2 shipping charge in the item description. So basically whatever price you put in the shipping box goes.

And as another member said what the hell is $2 bucks, yeah it may be annoying that you have to pay the $1.75 shipping now but it sounds like it was your mistake and I would loose out on a $100 sale for that
I didn't think it would be an issue if he checked the listing AND the invoice and clearly saw he owed $2 on s/h. I thought it was just his oversight, but now it clearly looks like he's just trying to be a Scrooge and swindle a couple bucks off the deal by claiming he thought he saw "free shipping" -- which he didn't see on this listing. But sure, I can send for free shipping and block the guy, which I might do if he doesn't pay by this time tomorrow, or I can keep the card. Either way I'm fine with it. I just didn't realize I was dealing with this kind of person when I alerted him to the fact he failed to pay the s/h. Him asking me to call him over this is retarded. He waited 6 days to pay, and I didn't file a non-pay item even. I've been patient with him the entire time. It just astonishes me that someone paying $100 for a card won't pay the shipping when it's clearly in the contract to do so. Again, people amaze me. Not a big deal, in the end, it's just the fact someone would do this over $2.

Last edited by REDSOX2011; 09-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

It's $2 who cares.. You already sold the card higher than they usually sell
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post

alex, could be he used a smart phone and missed the s/h fee. again, it's obviously not a huge deal. I find it so pathetic that I posted it, but if you're right, and he checked the invoice and the listing on the computer, he'd contact me, apologize, and just send the $2...which he hasn't. Therefore, I'm pasting giving him the benefit of the doubt. He simply wants to save $2 and make it more difficult for me, obviously assuming I won't refund him $100 because of this.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Like Alex said, it's your "free Pick-up" that is causing this. Buyers can choose that option if they want too. I know this was discussed on here a while back. You need to remove that option from your listing to avoid this issue in the future.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 09-06-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecancelliere View Post
It's $2 who cares.. You already sold the card higher than they usually sell
so for every sale you make and don't receive payment on shipping you will just not alert the buyer they missed the s/h cost? that's all i've done so far.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Like Alex said, it's your "free Pick-up" that is causing this. Buyers can choose that option if they want too. I know this was discussed on here a while back on here. You need to remove that option from your listing to avoid this issue in the future.
okay, I'll do that. thanks. maybe that's the whole issue. i'll let him know it's not a big deal. i really don't care, either way, actually.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

I used to list local pickup until I got tired of having to edit every invoice because eBay defaults to the lowest shipping.

Also, I have stopped 'charging' for shipping and I only list cards as free shipping after getting a 1/5 rating for $2 shipping. Just markup the card in the future to include shipping.
sdhofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOX2011 View Post
alex, could be he used a smart phone and missed the s/h fee. again, it's obviously not a huge deal. I find it so pathetic that I posted it, but if you're right, and he checked the invoice and the listing on the computer, he'd contact me, apologize, and just send the $2...which he hasn't. Therefore, I'm pasting giving him the benefit of the doubt. He simply wants to save $2 and make it more difficult for me, obviously assuming I won't refund him $100 because of this.
I know exactly the feeling you are having right now. It's not so much the $2, it's more the principle of it. You don't want to be suckered out of something, especially when someone agreed to it already. That is a moral and emotional issue, not a $2 financial issue.

But he could have used his cell app, and thus not even known there was a $2 charge for shipping. Plus, like others have said, you did GREAT on this sale. Congrats!

In my experience as an eBay seller, I constantly have to remember to not get stuck on small moral/emotional issues. In almost all cases the best thing to do is move on to the next sale. There are other positive transaction that await you in your eBay future. Don't take the negatives personally, and don't let it ruin your own morals, and move on to the next sale.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

card is in the mail today, either way; if he pays, fine. it could well be an honest mistake on his end.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

There is also an option on your invoice to allow the buyer to edit shipping totals. Make sure that is NOT checked.

When I was selling jackets, I had that available so that someone could adjust shipping for multiple purchases. About 1 in 100 would edit the shipping out completely. I was shipping so many jackets, that I did not notice one of these and he got me.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

thanks for all the positive input and suggestions guys. turns out, he claims, he is/was using a smartphone and originally only saw 'free shipping' on the listing, then when more carefully examining it he saw the $2 fee. i'm guessing it had to do with my option of letting the buyer pick up the item from me, but who knows? he said he'd pay it via his home PC tonight. i told him to do whatever he wants. card is in transit. case closed on this incident.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Ps. no need to block the guy. I'm going to remove his ebay ID from the thread here.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

how did he NOT pay the shipping is the question, redsox?

the invoice should have shown the total so how did hew pay less than the invoice?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshowboy View Post
how did he NOT pay the shipping is the question, redsox?

the invoice should have shown the total so how did hew pay less than the invoice?
It's because he offers free local pick up and/or allows buyers to edit their own invoices which causes way more problems than necessary.

The easy solution for all eBayers is to stop allowing for local pickup and make sure invoices can not be edited by the buyer. Also, make sure you have the option set for your shipping discounts to automatically be calculated at checkout. This eliminates 99.9% of invoicing problems and saves you from getting low DSR's.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote