Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default First look: 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen baseball cards

First look: 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen baseball cards

November 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

One of Topps‘ most popular retro baseball card lines of the year, Gypsy Queen, will be back once again in 2012.

The company revealed the basic product information and preview images for the second edition of the cards modeled after the 1880s tobacco cards on Thursday, and it looks like it will once again include two autographs and two Relics per hobby box when it arrives on April 18.

Next year’s edition will include a 350-card base set with 50 short-prints as well as standard and mini versions. There also will be mini exclusives again, too, as each 24-pack hobby box will contain a 10-card mini box-topper. That set will consist of 91 players with autographs — a new inclusion– and other inserts also included in the box-toppers.

Parallels for 2012 will include Blue Paper cards limited to 599, Black Paper cards limited to just one copy apiece and printing plates. Minis will have GQ backs, straight cut backs, black parallels, green parallels, sepia tone parallels and printing plates.

The autograph lineup will include autographed Relics, dual autographed Relics and triple autographed Relics with all cards signed directly on the cards.

Meanwhile, the Relic lineup will include Indian Penny Relics, standard Relics, framed mini Relics, a new round of game-used patch sketch cards and stadium seat Relics.

The insert card lineup will include Moonshots, which feature home run hitters, Glove Stories (strong fielders), Slide Show (base stealers) and Gypsy Kings — – all also with mini framed printing plate versions — as well as a 12-card set of the “famed mythical 1887 Barnstorming team,” which will also include autograph and bat Relic cards.

Among the signers on the preliminary checklist for on-card autograph set include: Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Albert Belle, Allen Craig, Bob Gibson, Carlton Fisk, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, Frank Robinson, Frank Thomas, John Smoltz, Robinson Cano and Ryne Sandberg, among others. That set will include at least 40 players.

The mini autograph preliminary checklist is much smaller. It will include only 15 players and, thus far, only Thomas, ALCS hero Nelson Cruz and Matt Kemp have been announced.

For the autographed Relics, there will be at least 20 players featured, including Hall of Famers Reggie Jackson and Carl Yastrzemski as well as Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzalez, Cruz and Jesus Montero thus far. Players slated to appear on multi-player autographed Relics include Jackson, Montero, Yaz, Ralph Kiner, Dustin Pedroia, Andrew McCutchen, Ernie Banks, Starlin Castro, Chipper Jones and Evan Longoria.

Refresh in a few minutes — more to come.

First look: 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen baseball cards |
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

I like it! GQ is my favorite 2011 product and is looking like it will be strong again in 2012.
txbevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do we know if the price problems will be addressed? It was impossible to find this product anywhere and when I did, it cost $180 for a box!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow. Those look amazing!
nofrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

It was under ordered last year, nobody believed in the product, so the price shot up due to demand and lack of product. I don't expect that to happen this year as people will buy it from the sell sheets earlier and stock up more.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I didn't care for the little plastic Gypsy 'jewel' cards, and I don't like the idea of stadium seat cards, at the shop we joke all the time about Topps using stadium seat wood instead of real GU bats, especially when they admitted it w/ Ruth and one other guy(Podres maybe) in Tribute a couple years back.
coltsnsox07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I actually like the design and list so far and as long as they get rid of the Gypsys (even though it would crush Tyler) it should be fine, BUT for the love of God no one talk about it! Let us all agree to keep the buzz negative or low. Vote that you hate it on the link above because if Topps thinks that even a portion of us like this product and we start pre ordering they are going to delay the hell out of this and water down that checklist!!!

Don't let Topps Angel Pagan us!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tim

[QUOTE=blowoutcards;1825528]
it will once again include two autographs and two Relics per hobby box when it arrives on April 18.

why does it say "once again?" It SHOULD say, "once again it will include one autograph if you are lucky and a box topper that you will need to send to Topps for yet another quality control screwup so you can redeem for a $2 common autograph."
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
I actually like the design and list so far and as long as they get rid of the Gypsys (even though it would crush Tyler) it should be fine, BUT for the love of God no one talk about it! Let us all agree to keep the buzz negative or low. Vote that you hate it on the link above because if Topps thinks that even a portion of us like this product and we start pre ordering they are going to delay the hell out of this and water down that checklist!!!

Don't let Topps Angel Pagan us!!!
This is true. look at what happened with Tier One. Nobody talked about it...upgraded checklist. Marquee well yeah we know what happened.

Meanwhile i anted to get some gypsy queen this year but the price killed it. if that gets fixed im all in on this stuff.
Looking for Carlos Santana, Shin Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera and Indians Prospectshttp://s624.photobucket.com/home/Gsizemore24/index Give the bucket a look its growing let me know if you find anything Thanks!
Gsizemore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsizemore24 View Post
This is true. look at what happened with Tier One. Nobody talked about it...upgraded checklist. Marquee well yeah we know what happened.

Meanwhile i anted to get some gypsy queen this year but the price killed it. if that gets fixed im all in on this stuff.
See and just he opposite happened with 2011 Gypsy. The majority of us hated the design, the gypsys, the jewels and the price. A lot of us were saying it would have no value at over $100 a box and that no one would want the minis or base. Came out on time at a lower price of I belive < $90 a box. After the initial breaks, then the price started to climb even though they screwed everyone out of the autos.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Beautiful product...

But for the life of me why did 2011 go to $200 dollars a box..

The product is great at about 75-80

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH

Last edited by kyle1707; 11-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Harley View Post
Do we know if the price problems will be addressed? It was impossible to find this product anywhere and when I did, it cost $180 for a box!
That is because nobody ordered it and when it became popular it was already sold out and people were clamoring to get it...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

gypsy queen is a joke at $80... let alone $180. i sent in 6 upcs from the LCS first week due to lack of autos... every box had one auto. when i got them back in they came to me with no sleeve or toploader in a non-bubble mailer, corners dinged and all scrubs!
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

When did Angel Pagan become the poster boy for what's considered "worthless crap"?
cmnkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmnkb8 View Post
When did Angel Pagan become the poster boy for what's considered "worthless crap"?
When Topps decided to flood his cards into their mid and high end products. If I get a Pagan in Topps Series 1 or 2 fine, but if in Marquee I get 2 Pagan "Hits" out of a half case there's something wrong.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
When Topps decided to flood his cards into their mid and high end products. If I get a Pagan in Topps Series 1 or 2 fine, but if in Marquee I get 2 Pagan "Hits" out of a half case there's something wrong.
I got Pagan'd twice in the same Marquee box...consider yourself less-than-completely-effed-in-the-ay

To those who couldn't understand GQ at such a high price: supply and demand, people. Look it up.
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to whywhy

I like the indian head penny cards alot! I have to see the base design before I decide if I like it or not though
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywhy View Post
I like the indian head penny cards alot! I have to see the base design before I decide if I like it or not though
I think they have it at the bottom of the Beckett page...they were there somewhere, I believe...and yeah, those are awesome! Definitely going to get a bunch again this year!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to whywhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
I think they have it at the bottom of the Beckett page...they were there somewhere, I believe...and yeah, those are awesome! Definitely going to get a bunch again this year!
oh lol I see them now, I like last years better. . . If price stays low i will buy
Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I don't care for this. Wonder if the price will skyrocket like this years.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote