Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First impressions: 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter

Topps offered the first glimpses at the seventh installment of its most popular baseball card lines on Friday as it teased 2012 Allen & Ginter via a behind-the-scenes snapshot.
The tobacco card-styled set arrived in 2006 with eccentric autograph inclusions and always-anticipated mini cards that remain a prime drawing card in the product to this day.

Beckett News First impressions: 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter
blowoutcards2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I really hope Topps does something like the State cards last year. It was a blast trying to find them and I was lucky to pull one!
u_want_my_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

As usual, super pumped.Prob. go with 5 cases rather than 10 this year tho
Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_want_my_cards View Post
I really hope Topps does something like the State cards last year. It was a blast trying to find them and I was lucky to pull one!
It would be cool for them to do a world map. Imagine how cool a piece of the Great Wall of China or some other sweet landmark would be as a relic.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
It would be cool for them to do a world map. Imagine how cool a piece of the Great Wall of China or some other sweet landmark would be as a relic.
That would be awesome, but do you think they should include every single country or just the most significant ones? Might be weird to have like San Marino and Andorra and stuff.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Those look great. I might have to save for a case.
imnotded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of my favorite products each year
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahkalifungo View Post
That would be awesome, but do you think they should include every single country or just the most significant ones? Might be weird to have like San Marino and Andorra and stuff.
I'd think they would go with some major countries and some regions, kind of like how they had New England as one piece.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Looks better than 2011 did. This years just fell flat with me. Wasn't excited about it at all.
2012 may be a bit more exciting with all the Legends that Topps has signing now. Hopefully they go back to 1 auto and 2 relics per box though. Didn't really like the whole 4 autographs per case thing that it seemed this years had.
Uter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nice looking set. Hopefully this stuff doesn't tank like last years set.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

i just hope they bring back the Negro Leaguers...I didn't buy any this year because they dropped them.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

best allen ginter design ever. just wish they would have released a bit more info. im wondering what the big non baseball player card will be. last year was manny pac . i would realy love it if they would put a mma card back in this set.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Looks a lot like the Gypsy Queen set.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not digging it, but in the comments, the discussion brought something else out that might be nice. I'd like to see an Allen & Ginter Chrome set. Not mixing Chrome & Base sets, but a standalone, 4 cards/pack inc. 1 mini.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Not digging it, but in the comments, the discussion brought something else out that might be nice. I'd like to see an Allen & Ginter Chrome set. Not mixing Chrome & Base sets, but a standalone, 4 cards/pack inc. 1 mini.
Now THAT I would buy. What a great idea. Love the shiney stuff!! How cool would colored refractor parallells of Ginter be!!
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Now THAT I would buy. What a great idea. Love the shiney stuff!! How cool would colored refractor parallells of Ginter be!!
I think they could do it with a different insert set though, have minis of the players with new colored parallels instead of changing the backs, and less of the beard, dinosaur, and other weird minis.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyagain View Post
Looks a lot like the Gypsy Queen set.
it kind of does. but i will take this over gypsy queen anyday
Old 12-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
I think they could do it with a different insert set though, have minis of the players with new colored parallels instead of changing the backs, and less of the beard, dinosaur, and other weird minis.
you all are taking out what makes A&G ........A&G.

Dont' do anything to the set... continue to be creative with the player autos and crazy/wierd stuff.

Making it chrome will ruin values of everything
dwest13cavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest13cavs View Post
you all are taking out what makes A&G ........A&G.

Dont' do anything to the set... continue to be creative with the player autos and crazy/wierd stuff.

Making it chrome will ruin values of everything
making it chrome would skyrocket the value of singles. the novelty of A&G has worn off and the last few years of sales are proof. set prices are down, singles are down.. even minis are down. Topps needs to give it an injection of a PED (aka chrome) and watch an entirely new collector base emerge to purchase it.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
making it chrome would skyrocket the value of singles. the novelty of A&G has worn off and the last few years of sales are proof. set prices are down, singles are down.. even minis are down. Topps needs to give it an injection of a PED (aka chrome) and watch an entirely new collector base emerge to purchase it.
Allen and Ginter has one of the largest collector bases of any set produced by any company. Why change that? I understand adding Chrome, but as a standalone product? You'd just end up splitting value between them and they'd both be considered flops. If you add Chrome, add them as box hits or something (2-3 per box) . Only the baseball players of the base set, Blue, Gold, Orange, Red and Superfractors. Or put Super's in the Rip Cards.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post
Allen and Ginter has one of the largest collector bases of any set produced by any company. Why change that? I understand adding Chrome, but as a standalone product? You'd just end up splitting value between them and they'd both be considered flops. If you add Chrome, add them as box hits or something (2-3 per box) . Only the baseball players of the base set, Blue, Gold, Orange, Red and Superfractors. Or put Super's in the Rip Cards.
totaly disagree......... maybe the first 2-3 releases had a large collecting base, but not anymore. the product is stale and sales back that up. Ginter needs a makeover and not just design wise.

now, i agree with only adding Chrome as parallels and not a stand alone product.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post
How about this one, put a boxtopper in each of either a red /25, purple /10, superfractor 1/1 of a baseball player along with the checklist of the jumbo relics and whatever else is in there, and weigh them so the Chrome cards are 3 per case.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
How about this one, put a boxtopper in each of either a red /25, purple /10, superfractor 1/1 of a baseball player along with the checklist of the jumbo relics and whatever else is in there, and weigh them so the Chrome cards are 3 per case.
i wouldnt mind this . or just one chrome card per pack . is topps actually considering this ? or just us talking about it ?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Beckett News First look: 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter (updated)

solid auto checklist . not too crazy about the world champion list though . hopefully it will be more appealing. havent seen the full checklist yet .
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

I love this product way too much. It's sad really. Can't wait for the Federer and Griffey autos... that Griffey will be SP to the max, I can see it being a $300 card