Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Personally, I think the Harper centering looks good. If anything, L/R is off a hair.

Sleeves/Holders can distort the images sometimes. I sometimes have to scan a card "naked" to get it to show up accurately.
tattooelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Hate to break it to you RedSux2011 but your Douchebront is way off L to R, which is why it graded a 9. The Harper gold, I have enlarged and measured and it is a spot on 10 on the centering. I also have measured your card that you are whining about and like I said after first looking at it, it is off L to R.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
Hate to break it to you RedSux2011 but your Douchebront is way off L to R, which is why it graded a 9. The Harper gold, I have enlarged and measured and it is a spot on 10 on the centering. I also have measured your card that you are whining about and like I said after first looking at it, it is off L to R.
I concur. I also measured these and I think you were lucky not to get an 8.5 on your card there. That 9 was a gift. It is as plain as day for anyone in the know. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for the laughs, boys. Funny stuff. LOL. Rhoude-ini, thanks. You are too much.

Tyson thought I didn't know the card was off L/R....man this guy is good for laughs. Anything else Tyson? LOL.

Tat: how on earth do you not see the Harper is off T/B?
REDSOX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
Proportionately, the Doubront is more centered L/R than the Harper is T/B (87% to 83%).

Any more comic relief for me?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOX2011 View Post
Proportionately, the Doubront is more centered L/R than the Harper is T/B (87% to 83%).

Any more comic relief for me?
Nope, I think your denial is enough for comic relief for everyone. That Doubront is off left to right.
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
Nope, I think your denial is enough for comic relief for everyone. That Doubront is off left to right.
No kidding? Did I ever say it wasn't? Read the thread. Both are 9.5 on centering, so both subs are wrong.

How about this 9 on centering to save the overall gem grade?

Last edited by REDSOX2011; 01-06-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
clear the ego from your eyes and look again, sherlock:

Now, revisit my initial question on the matter. CLEARLY one is a 10 and the other a 9, right? Or, er, wait a moment here. Perhaps the sleeve in the harper is skewing the proportions, but not in the Doubront, right? Funny guy this Tyson is. Funny indeed.

Or how about this 8 on centering, which BGS gave a 9? Makes the Doubront look like a 10, eh?

I don't like agreeing with redsox but the Harper and the Dubrount look very close to the same. The Dubrount stands out more because of the white border, but the Harper is off left to right.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #34 (permalink)

wahhhh I didnt get a 10
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
wahhhh I didnt get a 10
dude, i always look forward to tonedef's posts, short sweet and *(&% YOU!!!

yeah seriously, i submitted a large order IMO, and did not get any 10's soon the scans will be up and redsox will have much more cannon-fodder.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #36 (permalink)

The centering on the Doubront looks better to me than the centering on the Harper but the Harper pic isn't of the best quality. I would trust Beckett grading over a very low quality photo.
01Sajman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
You're as blind as you are intelligent.
What does this mean exactly? He's extremely blind and extremely intelligent or not blind and not intelligent? Either way your attempt at a one-liner fails miserably.

There's no shame in quoting Oscar Wilde or something. Leave the homegrown zingers to the big boys.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #38 (permalink)

For all of you perfectionists out there, I would encourage you to send your resumes to askbgs@beckett.com and explain to them why you are suited to be better grader than what they have on staff.

Until then, keep in mind, its a human process - and you are going to be see differences in grades from different graders at different times.

I have submitted this card three times, check out the grades from each time - not one sub grade remains consistent all the way through:

It's not just BGS though, I have had cards come back from BGS as trimmed or restored like this one, but PSA had no problem grading it like this:

Last edited by bradical; 01-06-2012 at 10:09 AM.
bradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #39 (permalink)

Centering should be the easiest and most cut and dry sub grade there is.....

Collection Bucket: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/dachman/James%20Starks%20PC/
Busting Packs PC Profile: http://www.bustingpacks.com/pc-profile/james-starks
dachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #40 (permalink)

Are we not in the 21st century?

Why can't surface flaws, centering, edges and corners be judged by a friggin computer instead of being subjected to human error?

You know why? Because BGS 10's wouldn't exist period, that's why.
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post

Why can't surface flaws, centering, edges and corners be judged by a friggin computer instead of being subjected to human error?

We have to still hand count votes for our presidential elections.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
clear the ego from your eyes and look again, sherlock:

Now, revisit my initial question on the matter. CLEARLY one is a 10 and the other a 9, right? Or, er, wait a moment here. Perhaps the sleeve in the harper is skewing the proportions, but not in the Doubront, right? Funny guy this Tyson is. Funny indeed.

Or how about this 8 on centering, which BGS gave a 9? Makes the Doubront look like a 10, eh?

That Taillon is actually not as bad as it looks. I saw it in person when the forum was orignally posted. The scan for some reason makes it look like a 8 when it could definately pass for a 9 if you had a chance to see it.
wolters03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal875 View Post
Check out this new listing. How did Beckett give this a 10 for centering?

2011 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper Gold Refractor Auto!!! BGS 9.5 w /10!!! 16/50!! | eBay
I can't tell that the centering would be off by looking at the picture but that is just me I guess! I'm not a big fan of graded cards because of all of the fees involved and I'm just fine with raw cards. I know that having a mint card does add more value probably than an ungraded card but I think a majority of a card's value to me comes from how rare the card is and also if it has an auto and game used piece on it. Just thought that I would express my opinion on this but anyways nice card!
Tpm2780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradical View Post
For all of you perfectionists out there, I would encourage you to send your resumes to askbgs@beckett.com and explain to them why you are suited to be better grader than what they have on staff.

Until then, keep in mind, its a human process - and you are going to be see differences in grades from different graders at different times.

I have submitted this card three times, check out the grades from each time - not one sub grade remains consistent all the way through:

It's not just BGS though, I have had cards come back from BGS as trimmed or restored like this one, but PSA had no problem grading it like this:

you should submit the Strasburg one more time...its definitely trending in the right direction (if the pics are in the order it was submitted).

nice card btw.
dimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer10 View Post
you should submit the Strasburg one more time...its definitely trending in the right direction (if the pics are in the order it was submitted).

nice card btw.
Wow that is eye opening!!!!!!!
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

After seeing the Centering grade float on the Strasburg. I am pissed, I thought they used a caliper when measuring but they are totally eyeing it up, lame.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #47 (permalink)

I guess what I'm most interested to know is what scanner settings Bradical is using to get such hi-res scans of his graded cards? I can never get high quality scans.

and yeah, they are eyeing up centering. I started a thread about this a while back and posted scans of two harpers i had graded...one got a 10 for centering, the other an 8.5, and when all was said and done and I had measured it using a loupe and such, the 8.5 actually had better overall centering
maddux31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post

In that respect....why can't EVERY SINGLE CARD MADE not be perfectly centered????

Seriously, if we do live in the 21st century, why can't card companies perfectly cut their cards????

Cuz it costs more money....
alexcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #49 (permalink)

Complain all you want...but people still go buy these graded card...so the grading company can do whatever they want..

as long as there is a market for it, they will graded...

as long as there is no repercussion of their inconsistencies, it will cost them less and make more money to be less "careful"...

Like redsox and the OP, "this is b/s grading and that is just terrible..." but yet they probably keep submitting cards to be graded... isn't that funny...

Just like some of us bash panini, but yet we keep going back to the well and hope it would be different next time... stop the crying and do something about it... I did with Panini....
wegoingsizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #50 (permalink)

you can't judge centering from a camera pic, it can easily be skewed. a scan yeah but not a cam pic.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote