Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 7 million dollar swing- Pujojs contract details revealed

pretty good read.. I see why he choose the Angels.. some nice perks

Albert Pujols will get a nice payday for breaking Barry Bonds? home run record | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
JDK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

He seemed upset with the Cardinals. Would he have accepted such a deal from the Cardinals if they had a chance to counter?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonStatus View Post
He seemed upset with the Cardinals. Would he have accepted such a deal from the Cardinals if they had a chance to counter?
If they would have made a strong offer up front they wouldn't have needed the chance to counter. They had more than ample time to offer a deal with his desired terms and chose not to.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonStatus View Post
I was listening to an interview on the radio with Tony La Rusa and he said Pujols was willing to take 60-65 million less to stay in St. Louis. The Cardinals just wouldnt reach that 185-190 million over 10 year mark so Pujols went for the most cash. Here is the link to the podcast: It's under Gary and Larry Podcasts on 1/5 They start talking about it around the 2:45 mark.

http://www.knbr.com/Podcasts/tabid/1065/Default.aspx

Last edited by imnotded; 01-06-2012 at 04:05 PM.
imnotded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
If they would have made a strong offer up front they wouldn't have needed the chance to counter. They had more than ample time to offer a deal with his desired terms and chose not to.
Look, St. Louis probably knows exactly how old he actually is, and chances are that is 35-36. Even if he is actually 32 years old, the end of this contract is pretty ugly. Do you really want to be paying $25 million to a 39, 40, 41 and 42 year old player in the post-steroid era?

I expect him to be the all-time home run king and get to 3500 hits. He is going to be like Paul Molitor and age well, but not $25 million a year well.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Look, St. Louis probably knows exactly how old he actually is, and chances are that is 35-36. Even if he is actually 32 years old, the end of this contract is pretty ugly. Do you really want to be paying $25 million to a 39, 40, 41 and 42 year old player in the post-steroid era?

I expect him to be the all-time home run king and get to 3500 hits. He is going to be like Paul Molitor and age well, but not $25 million a year well.
I don't think that they were wrong to not offer him just merely making the point that if St. Louis brought a strong offer to the table they wouldn't need a chance to "counteroffer". I agree that there has to be some skepticism about his actual age and no doubt that there was a reason probably beyond the monetary aspect why St. Louis didn't pay him what he was asking. I don't believe that his contract will end well either. Look at how Arod's deal looks 4 years in to his 10 year deal.