Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Exclamation Preview of 2012 Bowman Platinum

Beckett News First Look: 2012 Bowman Platinum baseball

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

UPGRADE!!! Now go get Darvish to sign also Topps!
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Looks good, but so did 2011 before they horribly bait and switched it.
jp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

looks cool. hopefully they got the hint of what they did wrong from 2010 to 2011
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

This makes me a little nervous, they've already announced that they better names will be harder to get autos of, and their top two autographed prospects (Rendon and Cole) aren't going to be what is driving this product. There is some nice stuff, but its gonna be very hard to pull any of it. I'll buy a box or two this year, but I think I'm staying away from a case, because this set is neither good for sets, or good for hits, that means it could be a disaster again except for the few lucky people that pull the 1:~10 case amazing hits.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
This makes me a little nervous, they've already announced that they better names will be harder to get autos of, and their top two autographed prospects (Rendon and Cole) aren't going to be what is driving this product. There is some nice stuff, but its gonna be very hard to pull any of it. I'll buy a box or two this year, but I think I'm staying away from a case, because this set is neither good for sets, or good for hits, that means it could be a disaster again except for the few lucky people that pull the 1:~10 case amazing hits.
Good points Be interesting to see the checklist when it comes out and then see if they pull something like last year. I pulled a Harper auto but a friend of mine is still in pain from the kick in the junk he took on his case.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
looks cool. hopefully they got the hint of what they did wrong from 2010 to 2011
it does look cool....
but, what did they do wrong in 2011? i mean, they sold all the product to dealers and distributors, so what do they care?
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Harper better make the Nats sometime this year otherwise he'll have 4 years worth of "pre" rookies.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

either A, Topps is doing their best to kill the value of almost every Harper Auto

or B, Harper being in EVERY set even when he doesnt have an official MLB atbat, means the value of his FIRST Bowman cards in 2010 will still be hot

IMO, just dumb, they should hold any new Harper auto's until later when he can finally have an official RC logo auto
WalterAZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

that harper patch auto is nasssssssssssssssssty
Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Why don't they do on-card auto's for vets? It's really a bummer for a product using the word 'Platinum' in its title...

If they absoutely need to do stickers, limit this stuff to retail and leave it out of hobby.
gr33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

The combo of subpar autos, and the admitting the couple of good guys will be SP or even SSP really kills the value IMO. might be good for a 50-60 dollar box, but not for what Platinum will probably sell for. Plus, resale value seems to be the worst of the Topps products, There was a time you could a Harper auto from there for 100. It's still only 150, while his chrome one goes in the mid 200s.

I'll just wait for Chrome later this year for my prospect fix.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Love that Jumbo Patch!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
crossing my fingers...I absolutely loved 2010 and hated 2011...
vinson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

idk ill probably buy a box or two but last years platinum was just horrible, and overall platinum seems to hold no value...just my opinion but i think i ll save more of my money for topps archives!!! and my pc of course lol, thats been taking up all of my money but i ve been having more fun with it than wax lately!!!
rgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Seeing 2010 and 2011 go well below cost, why would anyone buy this? After Topps hosed their buyers on the checklist in 2011 again why would anyone buy it? I got killed on it last year, never again.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've bought a limited amount of this product the last 2 years and I was always underwhelmed. I mean, what is the point of this product? Aren't there enough Bowman releases every year? It's defianately not a high end product and it doesn't look like their heading in that direction. Get rid of it and put some effort into getting all on card autos in stuff like STERLING! It must sell, this will be their third year of production. I just wonder why people will keep on buying it.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

I wonder if they're going to be padding the auto checklist with guys like John McDonald again.
hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundley View Post
I wonder if they're going to be padding the auto checklist with guys like John McDonald again.
Without a doubt. Look at all of Topps products, tier one, all of the $.99 autos in a $100 box. Just sad.

And the shortprint idea of base autos of prospects is NUTS. They did it in sterling, and sterling SUCKS because of it. You get ONE bubba/bauer/etc total per box. Just pathetic.
Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Now it looks like a mesh of Tri-Star and USA baseball cards compressed to make a "new: card.....pass.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
it does look cool....
but, what did they do wrong in 2011? i mean, they sold all the product to dealers and distributors, so what do they care?
what they did wrong from 2010 to 2011 is completely watered down the auto checklist and produced WAAAY more product making 2011 worthless compared to 2010. So you are right they sold out because dealers and distributers were expecting the product to be like 2010, now that they have a bad taste in their mouth from 2011 do you think they sell out as fast!? doubt it.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

I was so happy with Topps when I pulled an Evan Meek GU Auto /25 out of 2011
tonezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
what they did wrong from 2010 to 2011 is completely watered down the auto checklist and produced WAAAY more product making 2011 worthless compared to 2010. So you are right they sold out because dealers and distributers were expecting the product to be like 2010, now that they have a bad taste in their mouth from 2011 do you think they sell out as fast!? doubt it.
yeah, i knew all that i was just being sarcastic... it's obvious what they need to do, merge platinum and sterling into BOWMAN TITANIUM !~!~!~!~!~!~!

make both into ONE product per year, with all on-card auto's, and have each and every auto NUMBERED.

keep bowman baseball, bowman chrome and bowman draft, and number all the auto's as well. i don't mind base auto's but i/we would like to know print runs even on the base.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
This makes me a little nervous, they've already announced that they better names will be harder to get autos of
Quote:
The combo of subpar autos, and the admitting the couple of good guys will be SP or even SSP really kills the value IMO.
Where does it say this? I've read the article twice and I see nothing about that. I think you might be misinterpreting the statement about the most plentiful relics being #'d to 199, followed by the sentence about Harper and Trout. It's worded weird, but I don't think that's an implication of anything being short printed.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonezone View Post
I was so happy with Topps when I pulled an Evan Meek GU Auto /25 out of 2011
Uhhh how do you think I felt when I pulled an Evan Meek Gu auto /700.... lol