Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mickey mantle auto ball w/ coa shop at home stay away?

Have a chance to buy this and I've read that there were fakes of them. Does anybody know if they were all fake or some happened to be fake and gave shop at home Mickey mantle auto balls a bad rep?
CMpunk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

....are you kidding me?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesKRD View Post
....are you kidding me?
You don't need to be rude Just an honest question.
CMpunk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

IMO, stick with an item that has been authenticated by a reputable authenticator such as PSA or James Spence. At least there's a chance the autograph is legitimate.
Doing anymore ghost hunting?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depends on what shop at home and what the date was and who the auth cert is by.
Yankees remark comes from a lack of knowledge
per JSA/PSA...step up,hand me your money and watch me point out several fakes on ebay right now,authenticated by those companies
There are no legitimate authenticators working for either company whom can ID a mantle with 100% certainty,if there ever was such a thing.
A member here purchased a card that was in a special, that was debunked by a co-conspirator of Marino's as one of his fakes and it was put out by UD in packs
The seller and owner swear by it and it even has an additional JSA letter with it.
You have to be wary all around,but it is easy enough to limit the "in plain sight" danger by answering a few of the above questions
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I suppose the only real way to know you have an authentic Mantle was to actually see him sign your item in person at one of the many shows he did in the late 80's & early
90's. I still regret not having him sign a Mantle store bat I have.
Who do you trust? If PSA & Spence aren't worth a crap, what's a collector supposed to do?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Mickey Mantle Shop At Home Forgery Fake

This is your typical Shop At Home Mickey Mantle forgery from the 1990's.

Mickey mantle auto ball w/ coa shop at home stay away?-vj-1.jpg

Mickey mantle auto ball w/ coa shop at home stay away?-vj-2.jpg
CollectorYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
Depends on what shop at home and what the date was and who the auth cert is by.
Yankees remark comes from a lack of knowledge
per JSA/PSA...step up,hand me your money and watch me point out several fakes on ebay right now,authenticated by those companies
There are no legitimate authenticators working for either company whom can ID a mantle with 100% certainty,if there ever was such a thing.
A member here purchased a card that was in a special, that was debunked by a co-conspirator of Marino's as one of his fakes and it was put out by UD in packs
The seller and owner swear by it and it even has an additional JSA letter with it.
You have to be wary all around,but it is easy enough to limit the "in plain sight" danger by answering a few of the above questions
Ok you go too far and I guess like spreading misinformation. It was the 2005 SP Legendary Cuts Ruth/Cobb/Wagner/Johnson Quad Cut 1/1 that was shown on teh HBO special and the forger pointed out the Ruth and Johnson autos as being faked by him. Before the show actually aired, the people from HBO sent all 4 autos (cut out seperately in digitalized pictures so they didn't know where the autos came from or have any context to rely on) to GAI, PSA, and JSA. ALL 3 REJECTED THE WALTER JOHNSON AND BABE RUTH. THAT CARD WAS NEVER AUTHENTICATED AND NEVER HAD A LOA FROM ANYWHERE...ONLY SLABEBD BY BGS AS BEING AN AUTHENTIC UPPER DECK AND BGS 9 GRADE CARD...NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE AUTOS.

Furthermore, that is NOT MY CARD (although I wish it was as UD ended up striking a deal with the guy and making him an original hall of fame class 5 cut auto card that was authenticated by JSA/BGS and he had up on ebay for $250k).

My card is the 05 Legendary Cuts Ruth/Mantle/Foxx/Williams Quad Cut 1/1. This card was FULLY AUTHENTICATED BY JSA/BGS.
Edit: And my card was NOT shown on the HBO special

Please have a clue before you make baseless claims.

Last edited by dmogull; 04-01-2012 at 01:58 PM.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I hate to break it too you but JSA has been going down the gai route the past 2 years, granted at a slower rate of decline but still a decline. So having a COA from them while ok is nothing rock solid as it once was.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
Ok you go too far and I guess like spreading misinformation. It was the 2005 SP Legendary Cuts Ruth/Cobb/Wagner/Johnson Quad Cut 1/1 that was shown on teh HBO special and the forger pointed out the Ruth and Johnson autos as being faked by him. Before the show actually aired, the people from HBO sent all 4 autos (cut out seperately in digitalized pictures so they didn't know where the autos came from or have any context to rely on) to GAI, PSA, and JSA. ALL 3 REJECTED THE WALTER JOHNSON AND BABE RUTH. THAT CARD WAS NEVER AUTHENTICATED AND NEVER HAD A LOA FROM ANYWHERE...ONLY SLABEBD BY BGS AS BEING AN AUTHENTIC UPPER DECK AND BGS 9 GRADE CARD...NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE AUTOS.

Furthermore, that is NOT MY CARD (although I wish it was as UD ended up striking a deal with the guy and making him an original hall of fame class 5 cut auto card that was authenticated by JSA/BGS and he had up on ebay for $250k).

My card is the 05 Legendary Cuts Ruth/Mantle/Foxx/Williams Quad Cut 1/1. This card was FULLY AUTHENTICATED BY JSA/BGS.
Edit: And my card was NOT shown on the HBO special

Please have a clue before you make baseless claims.
Before you bash someone else about their baseless claims, maybe you should check out what you write first.

The forger of the Ruth & Johnson on the Upper Deck quad cut was Greg Marino; he was the forger. The person on the HBO Sports Special who pointed out the forgeries was Shelly Jaffe. Mr. Jaffe did not forge those cut sigs of Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
I hate to break it too you but JSA has been going down the gai route the past 2 years, granted at a slower rate of decline but still a decline. So having a COA from them while ok is nothing rock solid as it once was.
I agree. A while ago, I was reading up on Babe Ruth authentication and JSA was noted as having some questionable authentications. Not saying that I would never buy some JSA authenticated but you should also do some homework before jumping in.
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I also wanted to add that the Home Shopping channels back in the 1990's purchased approximately $750,000 in forgeries that was eventually sold to the public.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Please post a picture of the baseball and we could try to give opinions. I have a ton of in person Mantles so I am familiar with them.
Joed25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectorYank View Post
Before you bash someone else about their baseless claims, maybe you should check out what you write first.

The forger of the Ruth & Johnson on the Upper Deck quad cut was Greg Marino; he was the forger. The person on the HBO Sports Special who pointed out the forgeries was Shelly Jaffe. Mr. Jaffe did not forge those cut sigs of Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson.
Ok, my mistake, it was the guy's partner who forged them. However, even if Jaffe didn't forge them himself, he was working with the guy who did forge them so they are both part of the same criminal operation...technically they were both parties to the forging. Anyways, that is not the point at all of my comment at all....

The point is that Gibebrish was accusing (maybe mixing up is a better way to put it) my card of being the one displayed on the HBO special and being fake. Furthermore, he was trying (as he has tried many times) to discredit JSA/PSA by saying the faked card on the HBO special had a LOA, which IT DIDN'T.

It was actually the exact opposite, where JSA, PSA and GAI (yes, GAI), all maintained the Ruth and Johnson were fraudulent and WOULD NOT issue a cert....

Last edited by dmogull; 04-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
Ok, my mistake, it was the guy's partner who forged them. However, even if Jaffe didn't forge them himself, he was working with the guy who did forge them so they are both part of the same criminal operation...technically they were both parties to the forging. Anyways, that is not the point at all of my comment at all....

The point is that Gibebrish was accusing (maybe mixing up is a better way to put it) my card of being the one displayed on the HBO special and being fake. Furthermore, he was trying (as he has tried many times) to discredit JSA/PSA by saying the faked card on the HBO special had a LOA, which IT DIDN'T.

It was actually the exact opposite, where JSA, PSA and GAI (yes, GAI), all maintained the Ruth and Johnson were fraudulent and WOULD NOT issue a cert....
You are absolutely correct about that. That Quad Cut card with the Ruth & Johnson forgeries was not authenticated by either PSA/JSA. That was happening during the time when Upper Deck was going on the cheap and not having their cut sigs checked by any authenticators, and it was eventually discovered that there were numerous forgeries contained in their product.