Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Has anyone ever had a Problem with Emailing Code Cards on Ebay. Does Ebay allow this?

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had a Problem with Emailing Topps Code Cards with anyone on Ebay. I sold some and i have always just Mailed them the Cards. The buyer wants me to email them. Thats fine with me but just wanted if anyone knows if Ebay does allow this? Thanks
itsinthecards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have done it many times. It usually helps to e-mail because the buyers can get the codes right away. I advertise them as e-mail only.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have done it as well, either email or ebay message, seems to work fine. I just ask the buyer what they prefer!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have done it too, but I specify only by ebay mail, so that ebay has a copy of it & they can't jerk me over. I also link it to my email address just in case too when sending.

MY PC NFS/NFT: http://www.zistle.com/bboi30/collections/baseball
bboi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've mailed hundreds of codes via ebay's message system, and have never had a problem.
stardog-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think TECHNICALLY eBay can get you for selling something digitally, but not sure. Because the buyer can claim an "item not received" claim, and then the seller can't provide the tracking number, etc...
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

As long as you send the codes through ebay's messaging system you should be fine

yes techniquelly there is no tracking number, but its done through their site so if they buyer trys to screw you over you should be fine
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

You have NO protection if you email the codes. I had an issue with a buyer who opened a chargeback against me for "not receiving the goods". When I talked to Paypal, they said anything electronic like this has zero coverage. It might be worth throwing them in a envelope for .45 and mailing them on top of the email.
bcarneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Hi guys. There is a lot of bad info here so I thought I would clear it up.

As a few guys have said, I have also done this many, many times and never had a problem.

HOWEVER, it IS against eBay TOU. You can have your auction removed. I have not had this happen with codes, but it certainly could.

ALSO, a buyer CAN claim items not as described.

Here is the thing though - even if you mail the codes the buyer can claim not as described and you lose anyway. If he is a scammer... you are stuck either way so you might as well save yourself the shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboi30 View Post
I have done it too, but I specify only by ebay mail, so that ebay has a copy of it & they can't jerk me over. I also link it to my email address just in case too when sending.
They would still win a claim though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
I think TECHNICALLY eBay can get you for selling something digitally, but not sure. Because the buyer can claim an "item not received" claim, and then the seller can't provide the tracking number, etc...
This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxbam619 View Post
As long as you send the codes through ebay's messaging system you should be fine

yes techniquelly there is no tracking number, but its done through their site so if they buyer trys to screw you over you should be fine
No, eBay message system is NOT a recognized delivery system by eBay. You would lose this claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarneal View Post
You have NO protection if you email the codes. I had an issue with a buyer who opened a chargeback against me for "not receiving the goods". When I talked to Paypal, they said anything electronic like this has zero coverage. It might be worth throwing them in a envelope for .45 and mailing them on top of the email.
If you put them in an envelope for 45 cents, how are you protected? You would lose a "not received" claim because you have no tracking and you would lose a "not as described" claim because you have no proof that the codes worked.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I take my chance, ive had no problems, if a buyer's going to claim Item not as described over a 20.00 sale, than they will die a miserable death someday, and we will have the last laugh
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
I take my chance, ive had no problems, if a buyer's going to claim Item not as described over a 20.00 sale, than they will die a miserable death someday, and we will have the last laugh
Agreed. I do the same (take my chances... not death).

Just wanted to get the info correct though.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well, adding tracking for $1 may be worth it in the end. I have no faith/trust in ebay buyers any longer, way too many problems. This seems like the perfect opportunity if someone wants to be a crook and try to take advantage of the system.

My thought was...would Topps be able to tell you who/when the specific code was used. I had a guy that said two of his codes didnt work, so I sent him two others. He then said 1 of those didnt work, and I said I was contacting Topps to check to see if any of them were valid, and if they were used. He stopped contacting me after that. I did send an email to Topps, but I never heard anything back...not too surprising.
bcarneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default No protection from buyer protection...

For the record, ebay just awarded "buyer" ty8675309 his money back today on an e-mailed topps code transaction. I replied with the original ebay mail message with his codes, including e-bays "message tracking" number; he escalated for an ebay decision and had his money back within a few hours.

He seems to buy, try to resell higher, and apparently pads his profits with the occasional false filing. E-bay has no problem rewarding this and labeling him a top seller despite a stack of negative fb's. Yay ebay - scammers rejoice!
cardhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardhamster View Post
For the record, ebay just awarded "buyer" ty8675309 his money back today on an e-mailed topps code transaction. I replied with the original ebay mail message with his codes, including e-bays "message tracking" number; he escalated for an ebay decision and had his money back within a few hours.

He seems to buy, try to resell higher, and apparently pads his profits with the occasional false filing. E-bay has no problem rewarding this and labeling him a top seller despite a stack of negative fb's. Yay ebay - scammers rejoice!
eBay does not and will not accept any electronic delivery, not even their own.

In eBay's defense, they would be stuck paying the chargebacks if they did. So it really is unreasonable to expect them to.

That is why electronic delivery is not allowed.

See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Hi guys. There is a lot of bad info here so I thought I would clear it up.

As a few guys have said, I have also done this many, many times and never had a problem.

HOWEVER, it IS against eBay TOU. You can have your auction removed. I have not had this happen with codes, but it certainly could.

ALSO, a buyer CAN claim items not as described.

Here is the thing though - even if you mail the codes the buyer can claim not as described and you lose anyway. If he is a scammer... you are stuck either way so you might as well save yourself the shipping.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've purchased items with codes and had them emailed to me on payment and have never had a problem. BUT, I recently bought a redemption and the buyer had been burned by providing the code through EBAY email and lost his money because the buyers said the code had already been used. So this seller had been burned.

It's such a waste of money, time, shipping, materials, etc to mail a redemption card but I fully understand and respect why a seller would not want to send a code via email. The seller of the card will still receive 5*'s from me.

With that being said personally I think S&H on a code card should be a flat $1.76 with DC tops. No need for bubble envelope, under 3 oz, and no top loader, etc.... Charging $2.50 - $3 to deliver a redemption card is bunk.

Just my 2 cents...
2013 Bowman/5 Auto,2013 Tribute WBC Patch, All 1/1's.
pigeonsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
I've purchased items with codes and had them emailed to me on payment and have never had a problem. BUT, I recently bought a redemption and the buyer had been burned by providing the code through EBAY email and lost his money because the buyers said the code had already been used. So this seller had been burned.

It's such a waste of money, time, shipping, materials, etc to mail a redemption card but I fully understand and respect why a seller would not want to send a code via email. The seller of the card will still receive 5*'s from me.

With that being said personally I think S&H on a code card should be a flat $1.76 with DC tops. No need for bubble envelope, under 3 oz, and no top loader, etc.... Charging $2.50 - $3 to deliver a redemption card is bunk.

Just my 2 cents...
While I agree that $3 is too much. Technically (i've never had problems with it but it is thier posted rules), the PO requires DC envelopes to be .75in thick so a padded envelope is still the way to go. But still....$1.64 ship + $.06 for a padded + $.05 for supplies (paper/ink) + free packing peanut. = $1.75 and still within your guidelines and is appropriate.
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Aside from the ebay rules, the only times I have heard of an issue is when its a brand new product and Topps doesn't have the redemption codes loaded up on their end.
JzWand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

To those who e-mail codes to buyers, you guys are all VERY selfish. How is eBay supposed to hit you with fees on shipping if you are sending the codes via e-mail? Does no one bother to think about how eBay is supposed to pay their bills if you're skirting the fee application process? Geez...
Triple B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Either way with redemption codes if the buyer wants to scam you they can. If you email them, they can say the item wasn't received. If you mail them, the customer can say the code didn't work. You can try to contact the company to try and help but I'm not sure what help they would be. Luckily there are some honest people out there.
mcdo0423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdo0423 View Post
Either way with redemption codes if the buyer wants to scam you they can. If you email them, they can say the item wasn't received. If you mail them, the customer can say the code didn't work. You can try to contact the company to try and help but I'm not sure what help they would be. Luckily there are some honest people out there.
True, however, it seems that more people, if they were truly going to scam would go for the easier route in the digital buying, as they know they can 100 percent win the case with no question. Buyers of codes can still possibly win even if they are shipped, but I'm sure scammers see digital code sales as easier bait. The same thing can technically be done with redemptions too. Anything with a code can have this same problem, although 99 percent of the time the buyer is honest.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

update time! i just had my first problem. it's the same guy clipped cardhamster - ty8675309.

he paid on 1/22, filed a complaint about not receiving item on 3/3. i filed a fraud complaint with ebay, referencing this thread, today. of course, i'm still going to be out the cash.

(in the meantime, i notice he won another one of my auctions for codes in february. time to go to the post office.)
stardog-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Didn't read the rest of the posts but Ebay is pulling auctions if you have email in the title or description. Digital is exactly why they are doing it. They will allow it but it needs to be in a specific category.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

add me to the list of people he scammed out of codes..........once I realized there was a problem I mailed the codes out, and they still sided in his favor, he filed a claim then escalated it immediately, they refunded him
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Wow, looks like a bunch of posts were deleted while I read the thread. So, the easiest way around this is to say the person is buying the card and the code may or may not work but is not guaranteed to work. This way, they aren't buying the code, per se and can't claim "Not as described.".
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxbam619 View Post

Nope, it states in eBays rules you can NOT sell a nontangible item. If an item has a code on it, the item MUST be shipped.

This is the funny part: If a buy claims a chargeback and you give eBay/PayPal your eBay messages as "proof". You are risking being banned from eBay. Because you violated the terms of service, the buyer did not.

Keep in mind also, a buyer will win 100% of their chargebacks if you email them the codes and provide no tracking of a tangible item.

How do I know this? I own an eBay business and we use to deal in World of Warcraft Loot cards. I use to only email the codes but I had a strike against my account for doing it. So I use to email the codes AND ship the item. What happened? Someone did a chargeback and I got a SECOND STRIKE because I emailed the codes.

So it's possible yes, it's MUCH easier and much cheaper. As long as you don't mind knowing the buyer can take their money back and you have no chance of fighting it. Plus you run the risk of losing your eBay account if someone flags your auction.
derium is offline   Reply With Quote