Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IP auto interest with provenance ?

Ok
Here is the story
Lamar North, who can be seen here, was a scout for several baseball teams. He played in the minors for some 15-16 years and was drafted into the Army during the Vietnam war. He was injured in the war and unable to continue playing upon his return to the US.
He returned to baseball and was a Coach,manager and finally a scout for the Yankees,Dodgers and the Orioles
North's longest gig as a scout was with the orioles where he scouted and recruited Ben McDonald and Nick Markakis.

The point of this thread is I am now being offered his memorabilia collection. He lived about 3 miles away and his God-Son and I do business on a weekly basis. He found out I dealt with sports cards ( I buy zippos and other tobaccicana from him) and asked if I could give him a hand with valuing and selling some of this.

He and I will be getting together this week or weekend and going through and trying to catalog some of his items. the SADDEST part of this story was back in the 1983 he had acquired a world series ring from the Orioles. later in the 80's things go so bad financially he sold it for 300.00ea...i wish I could be offering World series ring today, I really do.

Anyway
He has around 190 baseballs all signed by the players for him as well as stadium tickets to World series,Division titles and such for the orioles. He also has a multitude of signed programs and such and random baseball related items like 1983 World series pins.

Several of the balls are pre-1963 and I will be looking into those as well.

My question is with me being able to provide direction provenance such as this,will people have issues with the autos ?
i know everyone is afraid of fakes,but I am considering that if I can show enough supporting material as for people to feel comfortable these were acquired in person by a man who was affiliated with baseball for near on 60 years, will there be so much of a hassle ?
Dating balls pre 1970 are simple enough. my concern would be the Ripken balls he has and people fretting and wanting to pay 20-25.00 for a ball that I am confident did come from Cal's own fingers and not some random counterfeiter

Anyway
Input would be nice
Thanks guys
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
XL5

The best way to get the most value out of the provenance is to do the sales through a reputable auction house.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

a LOA typed up about his background with a spot for his signature and the item written in would help. Keep in mind for about $15 a deal can be struck with JSA for basic certs.
ldsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

He died last summer,so a signature would be...difficult at best :P
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm interested. Shoot me a PM with HOfer names and maybe we can deal.
signal_fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

We should be going through it by the end of this week/weekend, will update the post with what was there.