Blowout Cards Forums
Save big on officially licensed NFL fan merchandise at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Removing Allen & Ginter/Gypsy Queen cards from their frames

I love the mini cards but I hate the frames. I have a good sized collection of Yankees relic cards removed from their frames. I re ally hate the look of the frames but love the classic look of the mini cards. The interesting thingI found when removing them is that they are not paper but a really nice plastic. Now I am not thinking about selling them since they are for a PC but I was wondering if they can be graded out of the frames and how much removing them hurts the value.
dusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I imagine that ruins the value, but if it's for your PC then I wouldn't worry about it.
worldwidebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

You so crazy, I think I wanna have yo baby.

Salt-n-Pepa - Whatta Man ft. En Vogue (HQ Video) - YouTube
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mini cards in the frames are amazing looking. Even if they have the gay design that allen and ginter put on them every yr. To each their own tho. I know i pc any mini relic with the frame. And as brian said im pretty sure it ruins the value all together and doubt they would be able to be graded. Would prolly slab it for you as authentic but they wont grade it i dont think.

Most Wanted: 2011 Topps Chrome Julio Teheran printing plates.
EZACLY THAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

I took a Todd helton relic out of the frame for shits and giggles, and actually really like the look of it without the frame...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you have any 2011 ginter frames lmk
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I remove all my minis from the frames - I have had many of them graded. I had a 2002 pujols mini auto come back 9.5 with 10 auto. No worries , won't ruin value at all. BGS and PSA will grade after removal from frame.
tmpierced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpierced View Post
I remove all my minis from the frames - I have had many of them graded. I had a 2002 pujols mini auto come back 9.5 with 10 auto. No worries , won't ruin value at all. BGS and PSA will grade after removal from frame.
I'm curious as to your basis for this. Do the minis removed from the frames sell for the same prices as the ones in it? If so, that is not what I would have expected.

Last edited by Andrew Jones; 03-22-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well I don't sell very often , I did buy a couple 2010 pujols mini autos from Topps 206 and I removed them both from the frames - paid 180 and 200 n change for them seperately. After I removed them I had them both raw graded at a show and they both recieved 9s with 10 autos. So I put one for sale on eBay and had a 275 offer but didn't get the 300 I wanted so they all went back in PC. I bought a 2002 pujols 206 auto for 180 that had a crease in the frame. Pulled that from the frame and it got a 9.5 with a 10 , I think it would sell for much more than the 180 I paid. So they are the reasons I'm making that statement that in my opinion removing won't hurt the value - in my cases it increased the value.
tmpierced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
If you have any 2011 ginter frames lmk
Just the frames? I have a stack of them but obviously they are torn in the corner to get the card out. I guess they could be resealed.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpierced View Post
Well I don't sell very often , I did buy a couple 2010 pujols mini autos from Topps 206 and I removed them both from the frames - paid 180 and 200 n change for them seperately. After I removed them I had them both raw graded at a show and they both recieved 9s with 10 autos. So I put one for sale on eBay and had a 275 offer but didn't get the 300 I wanted so they all went back in PC. I bought a 2002 pujols 206 auto for 180 that had a crease in the frame. Pulled that from the frame and it got a 9.5 with a 10 , I think it would sell for much more than the 180 I paid. So they are the reasons I'm making that statement that in my opinion removing won't hurt the value - in my cases it increased the value.
Takes some guts to remove those high value cards from the frames

I have a Cano auto coming and I am debating setting it free.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusen View Post
Just the frames? I have a stack of them but obviously they are torn in the corner to get the card out. I guess they could be resealed.
Oh I remove mine by sliding the card threw the top,I use the frames for customs
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Any tips on removing minis from the frame?
wkpeters3213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Gave this thread a shout out, in a sense, in my recent article.

Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Relics Reveal Too Much to Collectors
ETSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

I personally don't care for the frames either. But they are there in the spirit of the original Allen & Ginters from the late 1880s, in fact that is a big part of why I love the product in general. The frame design (as lame as it may be) is the exact same design they used on framed cards from the originals. I wouldn't remove them from their frames, but who am i to judge if you do.
the1runt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

I did this with my 2011 Gypsy Queen Relics

Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1runt View Post
I personally don't care for the frames either. But they are there in the spirit of the original Allen & Ginters from the late 1880s, in fact that is a big part of why I love the product in general. The frame design (as lame as it may be) is the exact same design they used on framed cards from the originals. I wouldn't remove them from their frames, but who am i to judge if you do.
Wait, are you trying to say that the A&G cards from the 1880s came in frames, or just that it is the same design from 2006?
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry, I just reread my post and realized how poorly worded my comment was. No, I wasn't meaning to say anything about the original 1880's A&G having frames. In fact, now I can't even recall what it was I was trying to say.
the1runt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

As someone who is building the master sets of A&G relics and autos, this completely and 100% destroys all resale value in my eyes. Since it is for your PC, and you like it without the frames, then go for it. But it really pains me to hear that people are doing this (unless I already have the card, and then ruin away as it makes the print runs smaller).

For those that call the frames "gay"; The palm fronds being used in Allen & Ginter designs is over 130 years old. I believe they were taken from the image below. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see the new design this year, because as far as I can tell it has no historic linkage to the original cards (and isn't that the whole point of the set?). Topps had plenty of sets that needed tweaking, but my collection might stop at 2011.

IUjapander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpeters3213 View Post
Any tips on removing minis from the frame?
Just pull the top corner up...it comes up very easy.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusen View Post
Just pull the top corner up...it comes up very easy.
Thanks. I'm going to free my autos!

Metsfan- Let me know if you want the frames 2006-2010.
wkpeters3213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the ideas! I think I might use a few of the 2012 frames for some Minis I am going to get TTM autos on. Very Cool!!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

From what I have read on this site, the card itself does not include the frame. Meaning, if you were to take the card out of the frame and get it graded it, the card would not be considered altered or damaged. However, as stated above, the resale value is likely killed by taking it out of the frame, because it would appeal to a much smaller audience.
CubsFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Personally, I think it's crazy to remove them, but you know...it only makes the unspoiled ones in circulation more valuable I suppose.

I don't care much for the 2006-2009 and 2011 designs of the frames. Not the palm fronds or whatever, but the dimensions. The minis look like crap when they don't meet the edge of the frame. They don't stay centered and just generally look bad with the negative space between the card and the frame, especially when the card doesn't stay centered in the frame.

The 2010 and 2012 editions look great though...especially 2012. I'm hoping 2013 follows the same dimensions as these years. Otherwise, I fear I may end up staying out of the 2013 A&G market...
Evazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
I did this with my 2011 Gypsy Queen Relics

This looks a lot better IMO.
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote