Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I Get Such A Kick Out of BIN or BO

I know, I know, enough is enough.

I just can't help it.

So I have a card for $15 BIN or BO.

Guy offers me $5.
I counter with $10.

He counters with $6 and says, "can't you meet me halfway, let's get it done."

Exactly what constitutes meeting someone halfway, giving it to him 60% off my original price, delivered?

I responded, "I wanted $15, you offered $5, wouldn't $10 be meeting you halfway?"

I just love BIN or BO!
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I get grumpy with the BIN/OBO and I'll look through recent sales and send a price only to be declined with no counter. At least you send counter offers, I tip my cap to you.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you're gonna get annoyed when people do stuff like this then just don't offer the Best Offer feature....
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

all i do is BIN/BO - i assume they offer 90% less than asking because they hope you will make a mistake and accept.

you're gonna have to get used to lowballers, or set your auto-reject for each item individually
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoHester View Post
I get grumpy with the BIN/OBO and I'll look through recent sales and send a price only to be declined with no counter. At least you send counter offers, I tip my cap to you.
It's tough when setting BIN or BO prices and considering counters for exactly what you said.

What is the going rate of a card and should I sell it for that?

I actually spend a lot of time debating this when I receive an offer and if more people would offer me in the ballpark of the going rate, I'd do a lot more business.

At the same time, hard to find cards, low serial #'s, etc are tougher to determine. If I have a rookie #'d to 25, I don't care if some idiot sold his for $5, I'm not selling mine for that price. But for say a 2011 Bowman Chrome Lawrie base, I will meet any offers that are the market rate. And for some of my scrub cards, I might accept below market just to move them.

My last thought, and a personal favorite, is this. Say I have a card of a good prospect for $10. It's probably worth that, but not moving. He hits 3 homeruns in a game and the hype wagon starts. The $5 offers come pouring in! I always chuckle. That's when I raise my price, not accept lowball offers!

As a whole, I love BIN or BO. I'm just frustrated by those that don't share my philosophy of how it works. Not that I'm necessarily right, but my philosophies do make logical sense, which can't be said for those offering me $1 delivered for a $13 card!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
I know, I know, enough is enough.

I just can't help it.

So I have a card for $15 BIN or BO.

Guy offers me $5.
I counter with $10.

He counters with $6 and says, "can't you meet me halfway, let's get it done."

Exactly what constitutes meeting someone halfway, giving it to him 60% off my original price, delivered?

I responded, "I wanted $15, you offered $5, wouldn't $10 be meeting you halfway?"

I just love BIN or BO!
You know you can set it up to reject all offers under $10,this way you don't have to deal with guys like that.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
You know you can set it up to reject all offers under $10,this way you don't have to deal with guys like that.
Then I wouldn't have anything to cry about! LOL

Actually, as long as the offer is over $2, I will at least negotiate with the buyer. Someone on here made a good point a while back that some people try the lowball approach first and then are willing to pay a fair price if that doesn't work.

Just the logic that some people use is what makes me shake my head. Meet him halfway? Isn't halfway the number between yours and mine???
Old 04-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

One thing that I can't stand about BIN/BO is when a sell sets his prices extremely high and doesn't want to budge at all
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

People want everything for free or close to it , in life. Regardless of how reasonable you are. No matter what the average sale was of a card from past week, they want it for 15-20% less than that

as long as you don't budge, and give in, you'll do fine

its comical that after you countered with $10, he raises his offer up a whole dollar

just sorta classless IMO
WalterAZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

There are 2 cards I've been watching a guy has had up for months at $35 and $40. I've tried to negotiate with him but he just rejects even when I sent an offer of $30 and $35 respectively. Now for no real reason that I can see, he's raised them to $50 and $55, so with the ebay coupon I sent him an offer of $35 and $40, the original asking price that he's had them up for almost 3 months now, and he rejects it and says he can't take less than $90 for the pair. Whatever man, just make it a BIN then...
and any Indiana Hoosiers in any sport
marklemerchants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I absolutely hate selling by bin/bo. The only time I do it now is when it's something I could care less about in terms of sale price.

When it's something I wanna sell and need a certain price like inclvestments and such I just use bin.

Case in point I had some nice oakleys I was trying to sell here. After a while and a few offers here I decided to bin/bo it at 149.99 no offers.

So I looked a the average sale and then adjusted my bin/bo to 129.99 to field offers. I set the auto declines where I needed to be and then when I got offers they came in under 100 bucks and no one wanted to pay over that when the average was 109.00 to 120.00. I was a little irritated at the cheap ass buyers so I set it to bin at 109 and it instantly sold. I laughed at the idiots who thought I was gonna fold and sell less than a c-note on a brand new pair of excellent oakleys.

I just set the bin now and wait. Always works better for me personally.

MY PC NFS/NFT: http://www.zistle.com/bboi30/collections/baseball
bboi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
all i do is BIN/BO - i assume they offer 90% less than asking because they hope you will make a mistake and accept.

you're gonna have to get used to lowballers, or set your auto-reject for each item individually
yes,just set the amount to the very lowest you will accept for each card.
Problem solved.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Problem solved.
Not really. Reason I say that is you get a buyer who "assumes" you will set at or near that price.

In the sellers mind it's their start to negotiate price usually so both sides see it different. That's why I hate to use it.

MY PC NFS/NFT: http://www.zistle.com/bboi30/collections/baseball
bboi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Then I wouldn't have anything to cry about! LOL

Someone on here made a good point a while back that some people try the lowball approach first and then are willing to pay a fair price if that doesn't work.
I prefer the term haggling . When attempting to buy a card/other item, I usually submit a low offer, just to test the waters. For all I know, the seller could be desperate for some cash and be willing to sell it then and there. More often, though, I hope that the seller will counter with something he/she deems reasonable and we can go from there. I usually assume that with BIN/BO, the seller's not looking to get 54 dollars for a 55 dollar card, so a little civilized back-and-forth is not something I shy away from. I tend to extend these rules when I'm the seller, too, and am miffed when a guy turns down what I deem to be very reasonable counteroffers and tells me there's no way I'm going to get a particular price for a particular card. I guess that's life, though!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

someone just offered me $1 for my squirrel card, i countered w/ .01cent off my BIN price
NonFlammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Sometimes sellers list a card for WAY more than market value and end up selling for half of their BIN. I've seen a few Cam cards lately listed at $1500 and end up selling for $750.

I know the strategy, hoping an OP will not know how to check completed ebay listings and will make a crazy offer for their dream card!
Astronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

You have to just play the game and take low offers with a grain of salt. For example: i recently put a Brett Lawrie bc auto bgs 9 up on ebay with a bin of around 350 with a bo option. I was sent an offer from a gentlemen of 125 dollars so i countered with an offer of 349. Of course it wasn't accepted by the buyer but he then sent me a more realistic offer.

Not too long ago i sent a offer on an item (can't remember what) that i thought was put very high. I sent a offer i thought was reasonable along with a message (i think the price i have offered is very fair, let me know). I was then countered with a extremely high price and a message (although the card may be high it is worth it due to the FREE SHIPPING!!!!). Needless to say i did not make a deal with this seller but i believe he took a great approach and certainly gave me a good laugh.

I just don't see the anger over the offers given by people. There is an auto decline option and just because an offer is sent doesn't mean a deal is done, it just means someone is interested in your item. They will start low, you will start high.
bj3nnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
I prefer the term haggling . When attempting to buy a card/other item, I usually submit a low offer, just to test the waters. For all I know, the seller could be desperate for some cash and be willing to sell it then and there. More often, though, I hope that the seller will counter with something he/she deems reasonable and we can go from there. I usually assume that with BIN/BO, the seller's not looking to get 54 dollars for a 55 dollar card, so a little civilized back-and-forth is not something I shy away from. I tend to extend these rules when I'm the seller, too, and am miffed when a guy turns down what I deem to be very reasonable counteroffers and tells me there's no way I'm going to get a particular price for a particular card. I guess that's life, though!
I agree with you, but when we are talking about $5 or BO items that are offered for $1, that's just ridiculous. If it's an $80 card and someone offers me $40, we can at least talk.

I've seen 2 potential deals fall apart over the past week over $1-$2. I have a card that is $48.99 or BO. He offers me $30. I counter with $38, he counters with $31. I come down to $34. He won't go above $32. Seriously, he wants the card, he's haggling with me and will pay $32 (delivered) but won't pay $2 more?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

I like the fact that I can set the bin price high and have had people bin just so they didn't lose the card to an offer I might accept. I say set the bin at the high end and reject offers below the low end.
JoeD617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

I've seen 2 potential deals fall apart over the past week over $1-$2. I have a card that is $48.99 or BO. He offers me $30. I counter with $38, he counters with $31. I come down to $34. He won't go above $32. Seriously, he wants the card, he's haggling with me and will pay $32 (delivered) but won't pay $2 more?
A person can only pay with as much money as they have. I could not get a Buy It Now the other day because of the $3 shipping because I did not have 3 more dollars. I made my offer and the seller just ignored my offer for two days and it canceled itself and then I bought the same card for $10 cheaper from someone who coincidentally listed it that day ha ha.

People who list Buy It Now instead of auction for cards under $50 are probably screwing themselves over in fees in some instances because Ebay charges 11% on the first $50 on Buy it Now, whereas auctions are 9%, plus Buy It Now has to pay the 50 cent fee up front with auctions free at any start price (of course I'm sure there are seller discounts and store deals in play for some people,)

Last edited by ArsonCuff; 04-19-2012 at 11:11 PM.
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

MadHandle11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Problem solved.
Not me...I've sold too many cards with a BIN/BO that was higher than my bottom dollar price. It may be annoying but i set BIN/BO high and go from their. Most of the time I get a reasonable offer and I accept immediately.

GO TRIBE
ShadeTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

The only thing I HATE about bin/obo is when the seller rejects your fair offer for whatever reason and then you see 3 or 4 days after that he accepted the same exact offer from someone else! I don't get it! That's happened to me 2 times in the past 30 days and is so frustrating! Not cool....
smillz300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillz300 View Post
The only thing I HATE about bin/obo is when the seller rejects your fair offer for whatever reason and then you see 3 or 4 days after that he accepted the same exact offer from someone else! I don't get it! That's happened to me 2 times in the past 30 days and is so frustrating! Not cool....
I have actually been a seller that has done this, but I always contact the previous person that put the offer in first to see if they want the card before I accept the current offer. I usually have a fair price in mind when I have my BIN/BO and if I get one offer I don't like, I will counter and then if I get a closer offer a few days later I will realize that this may be the selling point for the card.
prospectorgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Yes this can be stupid some time

But I love when the seller has a auction with auction/BIN

Starts the auction at say 9.99 and has a BIN of 10.99.

There have been so many of these that do not make sense to me at all. But hey it's their card and there price I guess.
Pine Tar is online now   Reply With Quote