Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Philadelphia Phillies Fan Thread

I wanted to make this thread for Phillies fans and baseball fans alike, to come post comments about the team or air your frustration.

Making one thread about the team in general saves space than making multiple threads about a certain game or play. I made one for the Eagles about a year ago and seemed to work out famously. Respect of each others teams is strongly recommended. Thanks for coming in to talk.
shadymccoy25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't really have a place to air frustration off of the computer since I live in Braves/Nationals country in VA.

What are your thoughts about how the Phillies can jump start their offense and put some runs on the board. I like the late little rally they had in the 9th in Arizona last night, but it was a little too late. Glad to see John Mayberry went 2/4 with a 2B.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think things will change a lot when howard and utley come back. I know utley is coming to the end of his career but he still demands respect at the plate and the batters around him will see better pitches because of it. I hope they put pence in front of howard in the lineup when he comes back because pence's BA will sky rocket once that happens. But until then i don't see it getting any better with ty wiggington, pierre, thome in the lineup on a daily basis.
Lastminute73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Phillies fan here!
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikey121581

Phillies fan all day
Brooke Tessmacher,WWE Elite Figures,Green Arrow
mikey121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

It seems like the only players I have faith in right now are Juan Pierre, Carlos Ruiz and Freddy Galvis. Polanco is done, Thome is done, Rollins pops everything up the the left side of the infield. Mayberry, Nix, Wigginton are all struggling.

I don't see Utley making a big difference, I don't understand how it takes him so long to get back to playing again. What does he do from October until now?? Does he sit around until March and then when he works out again realizes that his knees are messed up??? I don't get it.
rcgdodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Huge Phillies fan. They need to get the offense going. Chase took BP yesterday, hopefully he can come back soon, although I'm not sure how helpful he's gonna be at age 33. Howard will help a lot if he's healthy, which will help Pence A LOT. I'm just hoping that this amazing run of division championships isn't over.
If you're interested in Phillies car magnets or stickers, or anything else philly, I've got you covered:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

-Mike
mjcsportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tough go of it thus far, for sure. But not unexpected. We knew that with Howard and Utley out it would be tough to score runs, and left this team with no room for other significant injuries. Losing Cliff Lee is just more salt in the wound.

Gotta hope they can kick around just enough to have a chance to make a big push when Howard et al can return and start producing.
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Honestly with the offense struggling I really think its time to call Dom Brown up, play him in LF everyday and see what happens. Juan Pierre has been pretty good, but come on he is not in your future. Brown's trade value can't be any lower so its not like they would ruin that if he struggled. I think its time to really see what he can do with a reasonably sample size. They need to tell him "this is your job, no looking over your shoulder" At this point what do they have to lose?
SORRY I DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR DC
dbaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also - awesome thread
Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

You guys need to find this guy. I hear he can hook you up with a Phillies ball girl.

Not sure on protection
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaks View Post
Honestly with the offense struggling I really think its time to call Dom Brown up, play him in LF everyday and see what happens. Juan Pierre has been pretty good, but come on he is not in your future. Brown's trade value can't be any lower so its not like they would ruin that if he struggled. I think its time to really see what he can do with a reasonably sample size. They need to tell him "this is your job, no looking over your shoulder" At this point what do they have to lose?
Agreed....why not call him up and see if he is worth hanging on to. I don't see the harm at this point in the season.
jauncer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to whywhy

Phillies fan here
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can't wait till I'm done school here in a week so I can get back up in the area to go to some games.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Wrong, at this point Dom Brown is not even able to hit AAA pitching and is still a complete butcher in the field. Why bring him up and just further sap the little confidence that he has? At this point, you know what he gives you, and it's not good.

As a huge Phillies fan, I don't want to be a fatalist, but this teams offense is just putrid, and it's not early season struggles. Even if/when they get Utley/Howard back I don't think it'll change much, because who knows how much they are going to be able to give, given their health.

All in all, I am very "worried". The pitching is still great, overall, but the pen is shaky and the hitting is just a joke.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcsportscards View Post
Huge Phillies fan. They need to get the offense going. Chase took BP yesterday, hopefully he can come back soon, although I'm not sure how helpful he's gonna be at age 33. Howard will help a lot if he's healthy, which will help Pence A LOT. I'm just hoping that this amazing run of division championships isn't over.
If you're interested in Phillies car magnets or stickers, or anything else philly, I've got you covered:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

-Mike
Also dude..you gotta STOP spamming all the Philly related threads on here. Not only is it against the law here, but it is annoying as hell. Please sell your crap somewhere else.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Wrong, at this point Dom Brown is not even able to hit AAA pitching and is still a complete butcher in the field. Why bring him up and just further sap the little confidence that he has? At this point, you know what he gives you, and it's not good.

As a huge Phillies fan, I don't want to be a fatalist, but this teams offense is just putrid, and it's not early season struggles. Even if/when they get Utley/Howard back I don't think it'll change much, because who knows how much they are going to be able to give, given their health.

All in all, I am very "worried". The pitching is still great, overall, but the pen is shaky and the hitting is just a joke.
How do you know this? I'll give you he hasn't looked good in the field...but come on 180 big league AB's is not even close to a big enough sample size to say "you know what he gives you and its not good." Plus, all those AB's were looking over his shoulder not knowing how long he'd keep his job.

Obviously the tools are there or else he would not have been considered one of the best prospects in baseball. And ask any scout or GM and they will tell you they don't even look at minor league numbers, so I really don't think it matters what he's hitting AAA.

For the record I am worried too!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree time to bring up Brown nothing to lose at this point .If now's not the time will there ever be in philly ? On a side note a.262 avg and 1 e in 15 game's isn't herendous and worthy of a shot of a Real shot at left .
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

The thing that worries me about Dom is facing left handed pitching. He has only 11 at bats so far in the minors this year against southpaws, though has 4 hits in those at bats.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thome needs to retire or catch fire. They need to trade an ace for a bat. And, howard or utley need to come back in may. Kendrick wouldn't be horrible in the rotation if he was able to pitch on a regular basis.
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Also, mayberry back to AAA and Dom Brown up like you have said...
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamonKid View Post
Thome needs to retire or catch fire. They need to trade an ace for a bat. And, howard or utley need to come back in may. Kendrick wouldn't be horrible in the rotation if he was able to pitch on a regular basis.
Kendrick would be a decent starter but the only starter that can be moved out of the rotation is blanton and theyre not going to pay him 11 million dollars as a relief pitcher.
Lastminute73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymccoy25 View Post
The thing that worries me about Dom is facing left handed pitching. He has only 11 at bats so far in the minors this year against southpaws, though has 4 hits in those at bats.
It's all about adjustment's the only way he's going to get better is by faceing lefty's But 4 hit's in 11 ab is promising .
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymccoy25 View Post
Remember when they said that about Utley and Howard too....they used to have kid gloves with them too, but eventually they realized they had to just play them against RHP & LHP. He can't figure out hitting against big league lefties in AAA where the lefties are has beens or never gonna make it guys.

Did I mention awesome thread
Old 04-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Remember when they said that about Utley and Howard too....they used to have kid gloves with them too, but eventually they realized they had to just play them against RHP & LHP. He can't figure out hitting against big league lefties in AAA where the lefties are has beens or never gonna make it guys.

Did I mention awesome thread
+1 It seem's Manuel favors Mayberry a little to much .They have jerked Brown around so much , it's time for a real chance to contribute and see what will happen .