Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big DET/FLA Trade - Willis/Cabrera for Maybin/Miller/Others

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396?MSNHPHMA

The guys on Sportscenter at the winter meetings (Gammons, Olney, etc...) just said it could be formally announced as early as tonight.

Surprised Detroit would give up two of their best young guys.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Still in shock.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think this a great deal for Detriot. They did have to give up two of their top prospects but Cabrera is 24 and a proven All Star and Willis is unhittable at times (and potential bat off the bench??). Maybin and Miller have potential to be as good as Cabrera and Willis but potential does not win games. The Central division will be very competitive next year and probably better than the East or the Angels. Santana could swing the power back to the East though.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

What I hate the most about this is that I got an authentic Maybin Tigers jersey this fall
Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tim

I think it favors Florida just barely. Miller will be way better than Willis, and Cabrera will be a lot better than Maybin, but pitching is more important. Watch out for Florida in a couple years.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

As someone with a pretty sizable Maybin stash, here are my thoughts.

Wow. Just wow.

Until today, I'd always thought he was next to untouchable. About a year ago, Dombrowski raved about him, saying he wouldn't trade him straight up for Soriano. This morning, it was merely a rumor. I dismissed it.

Until today, there was no inkling he was going anywhere. After all, the Tigers had already given up two of their better prospects to Atlanta (Gorkys & Jurrjens), making it sparsely populated with potential stars.

And then, the world turned on its ear.

For me, anyway. I have more into him than any other prospect.

Now, I'm not sure whether to be jumping for joy or banging my head into the wall. The Tigers obviously wanted some major impact players who could contribute TODAY. The Marlins wanted more talent they could mold into future stars. It's been their MO.

I'm wondering what will happen to his stock. He's certainly gone to a lower money team, but could contribute a lot faster now. He may even break into the starting lineup out of ST (although I think he needs more seasoning - I'd put him in AAA for most of '08 first).

In any case, it has opened my eyes to one thing - NO ONE is untouchable. If tomorrow there's rumor of Justin Upton getting traded, I'll believe it without hesitation. Well, maybe SOME hesitation.

The Tigers' farm system is practically barren now. Save for one young HS dream kid, who obviously will now be their # 1 dog, according to BA. Rick Porcello. I'm also a bit shocked they parted with de la Cruz, who was another Top 5 guy in their system.

The shock will stay with me for some time now. But, life goes on. I hope it was worth it for both parties.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

on the 1 hand, i'm happy b/c the marlins are my boys after the angels and dodgers. on the other hand...wow. not so much b/c i have a huge maybin stash (used to, but sold most of it...down to blue ref psa 9, blue ref bgs 9.5 and xfractor psa 9), but wow...why go from pretty much 'yay cameron, he's invincible' to trading him away before he's really had a chance to prove himself? wondered the same thing about phil hughes. guess this is the year where no one's safe.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

I would guess that the Tigers realized they could get a proven MLB All Star caliber player that is only 24...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

- Gotta Admit it- Love the trade- hope to see more teams be willing to get better-
1 Good to see the Tigers getting better and trying to win and spend the money they have been making the past few years with the new ballpark and with going to the World Series-

(SIDENOTE" Doug Melvin AND Owner Attanasio- YOU HAVE MONEY also: Get BETTER_ you just lost half of the bullpen and your best 2 moves this offseason are getting Jason Kendall and picking up Eric Munson off Waivers

2 The Marlins know talent, example A Hanley Ramirez. they will be better than you think and ,WOW, will they be young exciting to watch and we dont even know 2 of the players they got in the trade

Between this and the Delmon Young trade I am very happy to see this happeneing instead of teams just standing pat thinking they'll get better
DadofTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Love this trade for both teams. If you're the Tigers, you do this trade all day long and twice on Sundays. If you're the Marlins and you are operating under their self-imposed budget, I mean, you can't complain about what they got.

Tigers win the trade, clearly, but the Marlins got some great talent as well.
MaddoxBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

If Maybin and/or Miller pan out they could very well wind up back with the Tigers in a few years when their pay increases...
Old 12-06-2007, 04:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

I can see why the tigers did it but its saddening to see them giving up Maybin, Rabelo and Miller to get them. Heck I was shocked they gave up Gorkys a few months back. Even Badenhop and Trahern were decent the few times I got to see them play for the WhiteCaps. Im sure they will be better this year but Ive never really been much for the whole "buying" a championship thing. Just my opinion.
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

pearljam, I read yesterday that Porcello will likely be starting out in West Michigan this year! If he does, I will be making the 2 hour drive a few times!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
pearljam, I read yesterday that Porcello will likely be starting out in West Michigan this year! If he does, I will be making the 2 hour drive a few times!
Let me know when! I'll split the gas!
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was also surprised that Detroit would move Maybin, but as a Maybin investor, I see this move as only a huge positive. He'll be playing in a very low-pressure environment (which I believe can only be an asset for young, highly-touted prospects, at least early in their MLB careers), and he's now in the NL (somewhat weaker level of opposing talent). If the Marlins have a healthy Hermida for an entire season next year, they could have a pretty potent offense.
southbound_pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

I don't see why you'd be surprised that the Tigers gave up Maybin. They didn't have anywhere for him to play, and he wasn't very good when he was called up.

Yes, he's 20 years old and has a ton of potential. But the Tigers didn't need potential, they needed stars. With Rogers and Pudge probably leaving/retiring after this season, the window to establish themselves as a legitimate Red Sox-type contender was very small.

The Tigers just dealt made themselves into one of the two front runners for the 2008 World Series title, and all they gave up was prospects.
MaddoxBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Cabrera in the middle of that line-up (if Sheff and Maggs can stay healthy)will be lethal. The guy had ZERO protection around him in Florida and put up great numbers. Put him in the middle of a healthy Maggs and Sheff and look out. Granderson and Polanco (why the Phils traded him and kept David Bell still has me befuddled) will set the table and then the bombers come up. The ONLY negative I see with Cabrera is his weight problems. Looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy early on last year.

Not a big Willis fan as there were times last year where he looked like he was speeding on the mound. Something just rubs me the wrong way with that dude.

Meanwhile the Phillies refuse to spend any money once again. The ownership pretty much tied Gillicks hands in Nashville. Still no 3B or CF or middle reliever. I don't understand why another Philadelphia team with alot of talent refuses to spend some money to fill holes and go for a championship.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

I agree with Maddox. Detroit is ready to win now, and Maybin isn't ready yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
Thats awesome news. I think I just found a use for the official major league ball that I didnt get Sandberg to sign last year

I also heard that the Caps are doing a Maybin/Gorkys dual bobblehead giveaway one night. That should be interesting!
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

They are having a Dave Rozema Karate kick bobble leg giveaway too! I plan to try to make it to all of the bobble giveaways