Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good vs. Bad COA Companies for Memorabilia...

There was a topic brought up in another section about good vs. bad COA's... so I thought I would copy my response here for more eye's to see.. Hopefully this helps some people out in the future....

Let me preface this by saying I was the 'manager' (only employee outside of the owner lol) of a card shop for nearly 3 years....

JSA and PSA/DNA are the best 3rd party authenticators... period

1st party (meaning it's their items) stuff is best from... Steiner, UDA, Mounted Memories, Field of Dreams (which is Mounted), Tri Star, and Onyx Authentics... one no longer in business but was good was Gridiron Authentics...

Now here's what to stay away from and why....

GAI.... A BLEEP ton of their COA's were copied and fraud went everywhere. They no longer keep their registry up to date.. so it's impossible to know what is real and what is fake.

Score Board (or Scoreboard).... an employee infamously replaced good items with fakes.. deluding all their items... Ken Goldin was also "authenticating" items 10 years after he was already dead somehow lol... A lot of their mid 90's "pack" auto's were also released with no auto on the card (but COA'd on the back).. fraud again went nuts here.

AAU... This is the guy we see on pawn stars... The reason you see him on that show is because in the first or second season someone brought in a fake Lou Gehrig Jersey with his authentication. AAU is not accepted on eBay.. and is well known for taking money under the table to authenticate fake items. More than likely (this is my assumption) he appears on that show free of charge because of the Gehrig Jersey.

STAT... like the above STAT is not accepted on eBay and is one of the biggest red flags of a fake I know of lol... ironically STAT too was a COA on the above quoted Gehrig Jersey

PAAS... This is a guy who is an up start authenticator who I have witnessed in person. All he does to "authenticate" is take an item.. do a google or ebay search for real items to compare.. and slaps a COA on there saying it's real. I won't name him, but I wouldn't touch anything with a PAAS cert on it either

Stacks and Plaques.... They were good when they existed.. but were very dumb about their COA's... rather than put a sticker on the item.. they would simply put a plate on the back of their items certifying what they were. All a fraud had to do was open the frame or plaque.. remove the good item, and replace it with a fake.

***Mounted Memories... I am putting asterisks here because this is 100% hearsay. I heard from a very respected person that MM uses teenagers and kids to chase athletes to obtain their autographs. The person went on to tell me one of their buddies did this circa the 1990's and would fake the auto of certain players.. just to get the commission from MM. This is again hearsay.. but I thought I would add it in here.

Outside of the companies named above.. I wouldn't touch the item if it were offered to me. A no name cert.. or a mom and pop card shp cert will never pass muster. If you are unsure though... google the company/person who certified the item. It should tell you everything you need to know

Last edited by Imac7065; 05-04-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Imac7065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for this write up. I have been purchasing allot of memorabilia lately. I get most of mine from Steiner, also got a helmet from Radtke. I like the way MLB does there authentication with the hologram you can look up on there website. I wish the NFL did that.

I wish Blowout had a seperate area for memorabilia.

This company always seems to puzzle me. They have a ton of stuff but I just dont trust them 100%.

Sports Memorabilia, Autographs, Signed NFL, MLB, NBA - Fast Shipping
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Thanks for this write up. I have been purchasing allot of memorabilia lately. I get most of mine from Steiner, also got a helmet from Radtke. I like the way MLB does there authentication with the hologram you can look up on there website. I wish the NFL did that.

This company always seems to puzzle me. They have a ton of stuff but I just dont trust them 100%.

Just make sure you get the items with PSA/DNA authentication off of that site
Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

As someone else said dob't buy unless it's 3rd party COA'd.. if you google that company and red flags pop up.. that could be telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post

Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
There was a topic brought up in another section about good vs. bad COA's... so I thought I would copy my response here for more eye's to see.. Hopefully this helps some people out in the future....

Let me preface this by saying I was the 'manager' (only employee outside of the owner lol) of a card shop for nearly 3 years....

1st party (meaning it's their items) stuff is best from... Steiner, UDA, Mounted Memories, Field of Dreams (which is Mounted), Tri Star, and Onyx Authentics... one no longer in business but was good was Gridiron Authentics...

GAI.... A BLEEP ton of their COA's were copied and fraud went everywhere. They no longer keep their registry up to date.. so it's impossible to know what is real and what is fake.

Score Board (or Scoreboard).... an employee infamously replaced good items with fakes.. deluding all their items... Ken Goldin was also "authenticating" items 10 years after he was already dead somehow lol... A lot of their mid 90's "pack" auto's were also released with no auto on the card (but COA'd on the back).. fraud again went nuts here.

AAU... This is the guy we see on pawn stars... The reason you see him on that show is because in the first or second season someone brought in a fake Lou Gehrig Jersey with his authentication. AAU is not accepted on eBay.. and is well known for taking money under the table to authenticate fake items. More than likely (this is my assumption) he appears on that show free of charge because of the Gehrig Jersey.

STAT... like the above STAT is not accepted on eBay and is one of the biggest red flags of a fake I know of lol... ironically STAT too was a COA on the above quoted Gehrig Jersey

PAAS... This is a guy who is an up start authenticator who I have witnessed in person. All he does to "authenticate" is take an item.. do a google or ebay search for real items to compare.. and slaps a COA on there saying it's real. I won't name him (I semi know him) but I wouldn't touch anything with a PAAS cert on it either

Stacks and Plaques.... They were good when they existed.. but were very dumb about their COA's... rather than put a sticker on the item.. they would simply put a plate on the back of their items certifying what they were. All a fraud had to do was open the frame or plaque.. remove the good item, and replace it with a fake.

***Mounted Memories... I am putting asterisks here because this is 100% hearsay. I heard from a very respected person that MM uses teenagers and kids to chase athletes to obtain their autographs. The person went on to tell me one of their buddies did this circa the 1990's and would fake the auto of certain players.. just to get the commission from MM. This is again hearsay.. but I thought I would add it in here.

Outside of the companies named above.. I wouldn't touch the item if it were offered to me. A no name cert.. or a mom and pop card shp cert will never pass muster. If you are unsure though... google the company/person who certified the item. It should tell you everything you need to know
Not all field of dreams stuff is good, in fact a lot of it is horrible. Many of the Field of dreams mall stores are run seperatly from Mounted Memories and most of the autographs are questionabe.
sportsnutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also, 1st party authenticators by players (say hey, ironclad, etc.) are generally good to buy from.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Good stuff bro! But i wont buy ANYTHING that isnt psa/dna period.
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnutcards View Post
Not all field of dreams stuff is good, in fact a lot of it is horrible. Many of the Field of dreams mall stores are run seperatly from Mounted Memories and most of the autographs are questionabe.
Field of Dreams is the retail name for Mounted Memories.. the "horrible" stuff you are referring to is explained in a later asterisk...
Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure Gridiron Authentics is still in business, and I totally trust them.
gmarutiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
I'm pretty sure Gridiron Authentics is still in business, and I totally trust them.
That would be news to me... are they? lol.. every cert I've ever seen is from the early to mid 90's
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ace has also been banned from ebay.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Ace has also been banned from ebay.
That's one ive never heard off.. too small or too local maybe?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Field of Dreams is the retail name for Mounted Memories.. the "horrible" stuff you are referring to is explained in a later asterisk...
Most of the field of dreams retail stores have store managers who buy the autographs from outside sources or a retail buyer. This has nothing to do with Mounted Memories themselves who sell 100% authentic stuff. The two operate as two different entities with totally different managment.
Stacks and Plaques is still in business and everything I have seen from them has been good. Scoreboard did initially have good stuff, but a lot of their itmes have been replaced with bad items. Ken Goldin is still alvie and still selling. Paul Goldin, his father passed away and most autographs with a Ken Goldin cert are bad.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Most of the field of dreams retail stores have store managers who buy the autographs from outside sources or a retail buyer. This has nothing to do with Mounted Memories themselves who sell 100% authentic stuff. The two operate as two different entities with totally different managment.
Stacks and Plaques is still in business and everything I have seen from them has been good. Scoreboard did initially have good stuff, but a lot of their itmes have been replaced with bad items. Ken Goldin is still alvie and still selling. Paul Goldin, his father passed away and most autographs with a Ken Goldin cert are bad.
I may have gotten the Goldin's mixed up.. but the rest of that I stand by... if a company is called stacks and plaques.. it's not the same company that existed 20 years ago (the same way Leaf isn't really Leaf).... Ken Goldin was infamous for QVC sales (which are real) but the memorabilia was not.

As for the MM vs. Field of Dreams.. FoD started (and still is) as a retail outlet for Mounted Memory items. Yes, some are independently owned (franchises).. but all are backed by Mounted. Yes, it is true that FoD franchise owners can buy their own merchandise to stock the store with (and most do).. but 95% or more of the inventory is Mounted or FoD authentication.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ever heard of Mail Order Concepts? Have something from them that looks pretty legit to me, but just curious if you have anything to say about them.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Did anyone else remember Ken Goldin's "show" on ABC Family from like 2004-2005? It was comical watching him convince you he was selling hundreds of dollars worth of memorabilia at such a great price...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Ken Goldin was infamous for QVC sales (which are real) but the memorabilia was not.
He's still on QVC every now and then when they do sports collectibles but at least most stuff he sells now are Steiner authenticated.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I may have gotten the Goldin's mixed up.. but the rest of that I stand by... if a company is called stacks and plaques.. it's not the same company that existed 20 years ago (the same way Leaf isn't really Leaf).... Ken Goldin was infamous for QVC sales (which are real) but the memorabilia was not.

As for the MM vs. Field of Dreams.. FoD started (and still is) as a retail outlet for Mounted Memory items. Yes, some are independently owned (franchises).. but all are backed by Mounted. Yes, it is true that FoD franchise owners can buy their own merchandise to stock the store with (and most do).. but 95% or more of the inventory is Mounted or FoD authentication.
Staques of plaques is definatly still in business and has been run by the same guy since the 80's. I was recently set up next to him at an autograph show up here in new jersey...
As for score board. The did sell a ton of legit stuff. If you areare buying dfrom someone who bought it direct in the 90s there is adefinatly good chance the autos are good. They even did na ton of yankees stuff in the late 90s before steiner had complete control.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Staques of plaques is definatly still in business and has been run by the same guy since the 80's. I was recently set up next to him at an autograph show up here in new jersey...
As for score board. The did sell a ton of legit stuff. If you areare buying dfrom someone who bought it direct in the 90s there is adefinatly good chance the autos are good. They even did na ton of yankees stuff in the late 90s before steiner had complete control.
Tony Posada.. he's the guy who ruined Scoreboard.. and I sadly set up next to him at a show myself.

The guy had the balls to come up to me and call my (then) boss a pr!ck... the guy I was working for is probably the most respected dealer in the state of Florida lol
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
That's one ive never heard off.. too small or too local maybe?
Nah they are or where pretty big, it was Justin Priddys company fronm GAI. They authenticated a ton of forgeries before ebay yanked them. I would say for a good year or 2.

I think if you google ace authentication (Not the tennis company ace authentic) it should pull up the site
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

ebay's NOT allowed list:
Autographed items, Certificates of Authenticity (COAs), and trading cards policy

Autographed items with COAs and LOAs, or references to COAs and LOAs from the following people or organizations:

ACE Authentic
Coach's Corner Sports Auctions LLC
Christopher L. Morales
CSC Collectibles
Donald Frangipani
Forensic Document Services
Hollywood Dreams
J. DiMaggio Co. / J. DiMaggio Company
Legends Sports Memorabilia
Nathan's Autographs / N.E. Autographs
Nicholas Burczyk
Pro Sports / Pro Sports Memorabilia
Rare and Signed.com
Robert Prouty
R.R.'s Sports Cards & Collectibles
SCAA / Front Page Art / Angelo Marino
Slamdunk Sportscards & Memorabilia
Sports Alley Memorabilia
Sports Management Group
Stan's Sports / Stans Sports Memorabilia
TTA Authentic (formerly STAT Authentic)
Universal Memorabilia
XMI Authentications
USA Authentics
Blank COAs and LOAs
COAs and LOAs as stand-alone items
COAs and LOAs from anyone listed on the FBI's Operation Bullpen website
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinar View Post
ebay's NOT allowed list:
Autographed items, Certificates of Authenticity (COAs), and trading cards policy

Autographed items with COAs and LOAs, or references to COAs and LOAs from the following people or organizations:

ACE Authentic
Coach's Corner Sports Auctions LLC
Christopher L. Morales
CSC Collectibles
Donald Frangipani
Forensic Document Services
Hollywood Dreams
J. DiMaggio Co. / J. DiMaggio Company
Legends Sports Memorabilia
Nathan's Autographs / N.E. Autographs
Nicholas Burczyk
Pro Sports / Pro Sports Memorabilia
Rare and Signed.com
Robert Prouty
R.R.'s Sports Cards & Collectibles
SCAA / Front Page Art / Angelo Marino
Slamdunk Sportscards & Memorabilia
Sports Alley Memorabilia
Sports Management Group
Stan's Sports / Stans Sports Memorabilia
TTA Authentic (formerly STAT Authentic)
Universal Memorabilia
XMI Authentications
USA Authentics
Blank COAs and LOAs
COAs and LOAs as stand-alone items
COAs and LOAs from anyone listed on the FBI's Operation Bullpen website
The one I put in bold is personally hilarious to me lol... I know the owner of that company
Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Good info

But COA's are just as easy to fake as the autos are. Best thing to do is just get the auto inperson.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Some other good coas:

Radtke
schwartz
AAA (Absolute Authentic)
Sports integrity
plinvestments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

PAAS... This is a guy who is an up start authenticator who I have witnessed in person. All he does to "authenticate" is take an item.. do a google or ebay search for real items to compare.. and slaps a COA on there saying it's real. I won't name him (I semi know him) but I wouldn't touch anything with a PAAS cert on it either

Used to work at Score Board, all autographed memorbilia goten from Score Board Inc. are %100 percent real. I'm sure this is gonna make some people mad, but I promise you, you don't know anyone who knows more about what went on behind the scenes.
1 ... an employee infamously replaced good items with fakes.. deluding all their items... NEVER HAPPENED.
2. Steiner, Stacks, and a few others got some of their autographs from the Score Board. Exclusive contracts with certain players left no other choice.
3. Don't know who Tony Posada is, maybe a show guy loosely affiliated maybe, but the name rings no bells, and most definitely NOT involved in operations in any kind of way, no access to inventory and nothing to do with day to day.
4. Score Board was the first company to really pimp out the industry as far as memorbilia, lotta anger and hate directed at them in the early 90's from the guys at shows with tables, and later by QVC/ HSN victims who thought Ken Goldin was really giving them a "deal of a lifetime" and finally by redemption people who just got flat out screwed. All this resulted in a lot of fairy tale rumor and innuendo.
5. As for the autographs, I knew everyone involved, from raw materials to finished product, from the front door to the back door. Inventory was strictly controlled, you just didn't take something from inventory, and you sure as hell didn't return anything directly to inventory, EVER. Basically, I knew/ know all the dirt, and where the bodies were buried, how much everything costs (really). Some middle management and upper management were morally inept and made some shady deals, but that had nothing to do with inventory of autographed items.

SORRY FOR THE RANT- ALL certs can be copied, the only way you're ever going to be sure is get them from a reputable company or become familiar with the autograph you're after. Compare them to a lot of other signed pieces by same player. If you look long enough at ones you know are good, the bad ones will become obvious.

As for authenticating companies, It's a business, thats all, as for PSA/DNA, very well respected,blah, blah, charge an arm and a leg for their services, I wonder if they could be influenced by lets say a financially vested third party? Grading on a curve maybe? LOL It's not about grading, it's not about authenticating, it's about money.

For not really a collector, not emotionally or financially invested, just sharing what I know to be true.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote