Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default Amazing "My 1st Sandy Koufax Auto" Mailday.

I got a good story to go with it too. So I was on ebay the other night cruising for cards and came across this auction.

Donruss Signature Series Significant Signatures SANDY KOUFAX R3 Autograph 24/25! | eBay

I just quickly skimmed by it thinking it was the /2000 version that goes for around 150 since the seller was asking for 179 + 10 shipping, and had no bids. It had about 5 minutes or so left. Then as I was looking at other items I realized that card had a rainbow tint to the pic, so I went back to look at the auction again and it had just ended. I was soooooooo pissed of at myself that I missed it. 170 for that card is a absolute insane price, one sold back in April for 375.00. The SP version like this hardly ever pop up on ebay.

So I decided to contact the seller and throw the hail mary. I asked him if since it didn't sell if he'd still take 179 for it, or if he planned on re-listing it? Totally expecting him to say "no thanks" he got back to me the following morning saying he'd take 185 paypal for it. I told him to send me a paypal request and the rest is history.

I am so stoked, got it in the mail today. It is in beautiful condition. I was worried the auto was going to be faded, but it looks great, just a little bubbling. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm definitely going to get it graded first. Then I'm thinking I should sell it and freeroll with a cheaper Koufax auto for the PC, and put 150-200 bucks in my pocket at the same time.

24/25
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,273
Default

Wow, i really like that card design. What year n set is that from?
Nice haul btw!
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcwecfan View Post
Wow, i really like that card design. What year n set is that from?
Nice haul btw!
Thanks man. It's from 1998 Donruss Signature Series. You can get the #ed/2000 version for around 150. Easily found on ebay. They don't have the "refractor" shine like these parallels do though. They are pretty cards for sure.

edit: my bad, they do all seem to have the rainbow sheen to them.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects

Last edited by Burt-Reynolds; 06-06-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
Thanks man. It's from 1998 Donruss Signature Series. You can get the #ed/2000 version for around 150. Easily found on ebay. They don't have the "refractor" shine like these parallels do though. They are pretty cards for sure.
No doubt. Ima be checking ebay for these cards. Love the design!!
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
njterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,679
Default

its an awesome set, one of my favs. Just sent my musial of this set in for grading. Some more info if youre curious, not all are refractors. From baseballcardpedia:

Significant Signatures
This 18-card set features autographs of some of baseball's all-time great players. Only 2000 sets were produced and each card is serial-numbered.

Sandy Koufax was on the original checklist but his cards were not returned in time for the pack out. Thus, officials at Donruss made the Billy Williams card an exchange card. Each collector that pulled a Billy Williams card could send it in to Donruss for a Koufax card. In addition, the signed Williams card was sent back too.

Special exchange cards were created for Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith. The cards were randomly seeded into packs and then redeemed to Donruss for the real autograph cards. The exchange deadline for cards R1-R3 was December 31st, 1999. All three "R-Series" exchange cards (Ryan, Koufax and Smith) feature refractive, shiny fronts whereas the other cards seeded in packs are printed on basic foilboard.

At some point in time after the product's release, non-refractive versions of the Koufax (#'d of 2000), Ozzie (#'[d of 2000) and Ryan (#'d of 1000) cards made their way into the secondary market. Each card features a different card front image than the Refractor versions (most notably with Koufax wearing a Brooklyn cap). Representatives at Donruss-Playoff were unable to provide us with information on this matter given that the company was technically owned by Pinnacle in 1998 and then purchased out of bankruptcy in 2001 by the new Donruss-Playoff Corporation.

The Catfish Hunter card was signed in either blue or blank ink. Only 1,000 serial #'d copies of Phil Rizzuto's card were produced.
__________________
Go Cardinals! 12 in 14!
I collect Cardinals (Gibson, Musial, Holliday, Wainwright, Milller in particular)
https://picasaweb.google.com/117475275250062460101/1ModernCards?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKeUu97Oq6DC9AE&feat=directlink
njterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njterp View Post
its an awesome set, one of my favs. Just sent my musial of this set in for grading. Some more info if youre curious, not all are refractors. From baseballcardpedia:

Significant Signatures
This 18-card set features autographs of some of baseball's all-time great players. Only 2000 sets were produced and each card is serial-numbered.

Sandy Koufax was on the original checklist but his cards were not returned in time for the pack out. Thus, officials at Donruss made the Billy Williams card an exchange card. Each collector that pulled a Billy Williams card could send it in to Donruss for a Koufax card. In addition, the signed Williams card was sent back too.

Special exchange cards were created for Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith. The cards were randomly seeded into packs and then redeemed to Donruss for the real autograph cards. The exchange deadline for cards R1-R3 was December 31st, 1999. All three "R-Series" exchange cards (Ryan, Koufax and Smith) feature refractive, shiny fronts whereas the other cards seeded in packs are printed on basic foilboard.

At some point in time after the product's release, non-refractive versions of the Koufax (#'d of 2000), Ozzie (#'[d of 2000) and Ryan (#'d of 1000) cards made their way into the secondary market. Each card features a different card front image than the Refractor versions (most notably with Koufax wearing a Brooklyn cap). Representatives at Donruss-Playoff were unable to provide us with information on this matter given that the company was technically owned by Pinnacle in 1998 and then purchased out of bankruptcy in 2001 by the new Donruss-Playoff Corporation.

The Catfish Hunter card was signed in either blue or blank ink. Only 1,000 serial #'d copies of Phil Rizzuto's card were produced.
Huh? Interesting. Great info, thanks man. I did notice the different blue ink versions with the Brooklyn cap, and this sheds light on it. Definitely more of those versions on Ebay than the black ink L.A. cap version. Makes the #ed/25 versions seem even rarer now that you know there are 2 different sets of 2000.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
njterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,679
Default

I had honeslty never heard of the /25 version until this thread, and ive been aware of these cards since 98. Very cool. I would def get it graded. Thanks for sharing the pics.
__________________
Go Cardinals! 12 in 14!
I collect Cardinals (Gibson, Musial, Holliday, Wainwright, Milller in particular)
https://picasaweb.google.com/117475275250062460101/1ModernCards?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKeUu97Oq6DC9AE&feat=directlink
njterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njterp View Post
I had honeslty never heard of the /25 version until this thread, and ive been aware of these cards since 98. Very cool. I would def get it graded. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Yeah. I only knew about it because I had done a completed listing search. The only /25 version on ebay besides mine is this one back in April.

SANDY KOUFAX AUTO Ultra Short Print #20/25 R3 Redemption 1998 Donruss Signature | eBay

That's what made me jump on this one. I thought it was a /2000 version like normal. Then I saw this completed listing, and ran back to the auction but it ended after I realized what it was.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Postman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 918
Default

Nice card! I love the way his auto looks.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default

Thank you sir. Definitely one of the best sigs in the hobby.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default

Does anyone know if the other autos in this set have SP'd versions to 25? That would be a hell of a set to try and put together. I haven't seen any other players in this set # to 25 besides the two Koufax's I've linked in this thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
edclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,036
Default

Sh*t I'm sooooo jealous! Great pick up
edclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Burt-Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
Sh*t I'm sooooo jealous! Great pick up
Thanks. I must have looked at it about 20 more times today, and I had it in front of me on my desk all day yesterday. I still can't believe he let it go at that price. In his defense though his ebay doesn't scream sports collector.

I'm still interested to know if every auto has a short print or just Koufax. I can't find any evidence of the other guys having a SP.
__________________
Check out my Kobe PC: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13/Kobe%20Bryant%20PC/
Cards for Sale and Trade: http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj527/mdefaz13
I collect: Kobe, OJ Mayo, and Baseball Prospects
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
njterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
Thanks. I must have looked at it about 20 more times today, and I had it in front of me on my desk all day yesterday. I still can't believe he let it go at that price. In his defense though his ebay doesn't scream sports collector.

I'm still interested to know if every auto has a short print or just Koufax. I can't find any evidence of the other guys having a SP.
If no one else on here has any more info, I would email some card blogs/sites and maybe beckett. Maybe their editors could dig up some info? Im sure others would be interested in this, especially if it as rare as I think it is.
__________________
Go Cardinals! 12 in 14!
I collect Cardinals (Gibson, Musial, Holliday, Wainwright, Milller in particular)
https://picasaweb.google.com/117475275250062460101/1ModernCards?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKeUu97Oq6DC9AE&feat=directlink
njterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
BoxBreaker72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,368
Default

Beautiful card from a underrated set. Can't beat an on card auto from a legend like that.
BoxBreaker72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
danmecum51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Autzen Stadium
Posts: 4,718
Default

Looks like my next big purchase will be the hermit Koufax himself. For $175 a Koufax auto is a steal in my opinion. Those cards are nasty and hard signed. Good look+hard signed + Koufax = chubby
__________________
blowouts resident criminal.
BUYING ALL TOMMY THORPE USA panini cards
danmecum51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.