Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 National in Balitmore...is it too early to start talking about it?

Originally, I wasn't planning on going...not because it's not awesome, but because I just switched jobs and have no leave, I have a baby boy on the way, and I'm broke.

But then I said to myself...It's the NATIONAL. The 2010 National was so much fun...I don't know how I could possibly miss this one.

So who's going?

Also, I BEG and PLEAD...do not turn this thread into a flame/"looking forward to seeing you at the National so I can punch you in the face" thread. I did a search of the forum and the only other National thread I found was a back and forth between a few people that want to kill eachother. Let's keep the peace.

Curious, how far will you guys be traveling?

For those of you that have never been to a National, save up NOW. Going to the National is like sports card overload. The best time you will have this year.

For those of you in the DC/Baltimore Area, you will regret missing this one.
pakman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I live in Ellicott City, and hopefully will be buying a V.I.P ticket. I CANT WAIT!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I will be there. Hoping my buddy dealer can get me free VIP tickets
Also want your Brook Lopez, Mason Plumlee and Deron Williams
yankeesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

i'll be coming down from NJ, about a 2.5-3 hour drive or so.

i'll have +/- $1000 cash and some trade cards. As well as the Lawrie Super, to see if i can trade that away for some sick PC stuff.

plan on purchasing some nice graded vintage cards or modern ungraded bowman stuff and skipping the wax purchases this year.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I'm coming from Colorado. Flying to Pittsburgh Tuesday, driving down to Baltimore for the show Wed/Thursday, back to Pittsburgh on Friday, landing in Colorado Saturday.

Anybody thinking about throwing down at the greatest card show in the world needs to think about their priorities. You get such a rush walking into it that you just get instantly happy.

This is my 11th show overall, still get giddy thinking about it.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Betty_White

Im coming in from Cincinnati
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Anybody thinking about throwing down at the greatest card show in the world needs to think about their priorities. You get such a rush walking into it that you just get instantly happy.
Man, this is so true....I've been kicking it around and thinking the Chicago Sun Times show would be a band-aid for missing it, but I think I need to re-adjust my priorities into shooting for this instead. I've been to over half of the Nationals since the 2nd one in 1981 and all were a great time!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely in for this one. It'll be even better since my buddy is returning from a year deployment to Afghanistan in July. Always a great time breaking boxes with friends.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

well im not going to Nationals and ive never been to a card show but i wish i could go.
hopefully i can go someday
rck1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is my third National I will be attending. Im driving in from Brick NJ. I really enjoyed the last two years HOWEVER I found that there were not great deals there. What ever was there, there is alot more of the same stuff on Ebay for cheaper. I am discussing modern cards and autograph. I dont collect vintage. There is a ton of vintage if thats what you collect.
Joed25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

I plan on driving from Pittsburgh. I've never been to it or any other major show. I just got back into collecting a few months ago. So far I've bought a retail box of 2011 topps, hobby 2008 topps, and jumbo 2012 topps series 2. I am planning to buy a 2012 bowman platinum box to get the exclusive 25-card sequentially numbered 2012 Bowman Platinum Blue Foil Parallel set. I don't have much interest in rookies or prospects so I am not sure if that is a good idea. I only collect Nolan Ryan. The box and exclusive set would just be a gamble to sell or trade them for more packs I do like or Nolan Ryan cards. I have no idea what to expect. I'll bring a few of my best cards that someone might want to trade for packs/box and I'll only have about $100 to spend on a box :\
gf is up for it just to get on the beach and ocean... Do I leave her in the car with the window cracked to save $20
AceVanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysBench View Post
I live in Ellicott City, and hopefully will be buying a V.I.P ticket. I CANT WAIT!!!
I envy you. I'm in MD too, but in MoCo. 45 minute hike. I'd rather have your 10-15 minute hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVanquish View Post
I plan on driving from Pittsburgh. I've never been to it or any other major show. I just got back into collecting a few months ago. So far I've bought a retail box of 2011 topps, hobby 2008 topps, and jumbo 2012 topps series 2. I am planning to buy a 2012 bowman platinum box to get the exclusive 25-card sequentially numbered 2012 Bowman Platinum Blue Foil Parallel set. I don't have much interest in rookies or prospects so I am not sure if that is a good idea. I only collect Nolan Ryan. The box and exclusive set would just be a gamble to sell or trade them for more packs I do like or Nolan Ryan cards. I have no idea what to expect. I'll bring a few of my best cards that someone might want to trade for packs/box and I'll only have about $100 to spend on a box :\
gf is up for it just to get on the beach and ocean... Do I leave her in the car with the window cracked to save $20
You live on the east coast, so you know how HOT august is going to be. By the time your done, you gf might be 20 lbs lighter.

Welcome back to the hobby by the way. Let me be the first to tell you, the National is a card collectors Wonka Chocolate Factory. LOTS AND LOTS of stuff to see. I'm all about the thrill of breaking and monster pulls, so I spent most of my time near the Topps/Panini/UD/PressPass/Blowout area ripping cards in 2010. But if you are in to autographs, they will have a pretty extensive list. And as others have stated, lots of vintage and everything in between.

It's easy to just get lost in it all. My buddy and I went all 5 days last year and we kept forgetting to eat. By the end of the day, I was so partched from not drinking anything...but you just lose track of time and what's going on...so much to do and look at for a card collector. Even better when you have money to spend. As I said in my first post...START SAVING NOW. You will thank me for it later.

Just some pointers, last year, BO let you buy online and pickup from the show. So that would be cool. Also, if BO gets lucky this year, they will be right in the middle of things. There's almost no need to bring your own supplies because there will be people selling stuff there. Prices, from what I can tell on unopened wax, is on par with what is on the websites. Bring something to carry your stuff in. It's not unusual to see people rolling a suitcase or wearing a backpack. And wear comfortable shoes.

And just to comment on the earlier comment about angry people...just let it go. This is really a great show, don't ruin it for yourself and others to settle a score. I've had the occasional run in on these forums, but it's not worth it. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder the entire time. This is a great change to meet other collectors, make some trades, show off what you got. Just a GREAT time. I CAN'T WAIT!

Last edited by pakman916; 06-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
pakman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not going to buy any autos. I plan to go Saturday. Seems to be the best day for the lineup. I assume the players are in their own booth or something where people who did pay for autos will be able to see them. As I said before it's a nice drive weekend vacation for me and the gf. I like opening packs and look forward to good deals and variety. Anything above that is bonus. I'd like to see someone try to bring in a horse for one of the jockeys to sign, or get the horses autograph
AceVanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

im going in 2013,
Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

is there such a thing as a west coast national? if so, where is it being held this year?

AVG .280 4 HR 40 RBI
metsandweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
im going in 2013,
I'm also going in 2013...it's in Chicago right?
bhavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsandweezer View Post
is there such a thing as a west coast national? if so, where is it being held this year?
One of the best Nationals ever held was in Anaheim, CA.

New Project: 1955 Topps PSA 6 set. Let me know if you have any available.
tivy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavr View Post
I'm also going in 2013...it's in Chicago right?
yep then in cleveland is 2014
Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivy22 View Post
One of the best Nationals ever held was in Anaheim, CA.
I hope you're not talking about 1991? That was chaos!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
I hope you're not talking about 1991? That was chaos!
I don't think it was in 1991. But my friends that set up at it said they made more money there than they ever made at any other Nationals show.

New Project: 1955 Topps PSA 6 set. Let me know if you have any available.
tivy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

I just saw that Bobby Grich and Jack Morris will be signing for free on Wednesday, 8/1. I love me some free autographs!
gmarutiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

You guys definitely made me aware that this is THE SHOW to go to. I've never been to a National before and since it's only a 1 hour drive, I'm going to start saving my money now!!!
crow085723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivy22 View Post
I don't think it was in 1991. But my friends that set up at it said they made more money there than they ever made at any other Nationals show.
it probably was 1991. The height of the hobby craze. Each day we got up earlier and got in later. I think Saturday we we're in line by 6 am and got into the show by 11:30 for a 10 am opening. People were promo card drunk.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow085723 View Post
You guys definitely made me aware that this is THE SHOW to go to. I've never been to a National before and since it's only a 1 hour drive, I'm going to start saving my money now!!!
not just to buy, but to see the HOF worthy material the auction houses have like Reggie's 1 year O's jersey or Lou Gehrig's Tour of Japan uniform. Amazing stuff!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

What is the date of the national? I live within an hour of Baltimore.
shadymccoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote