Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #1151 (permalink)

[QUOTE=mnvikingstwins;3070602]Ginter Code ‏@TheGinterCode
The murder is solved, but Willow Cove lives on. Check back in September to crack Joey Furts' con. #thegintercode
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
QUOTE]

So Good Ole Lefty still has a chance to relevant is solving soemthing? Nice,,,lol

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic
Tommy12oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #1152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07 View Post
It's odd though, the codemaster himself stated that they tweaked the code last year so that it wouldn't end so fast and wouldn't favor those with means/money to get all the cards/scans . . . . but they had no issue with it ending really quick so long as everyone started at the same time?

What did you guys think of the "DOS game" set-up for this code? Scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Not At All Enjoyable and 10 was Very Enjoyable.

What did you think of the length of time and depth of the code? Scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Very Disappointed in the Length and 10 is Very Pleased with the length/depth.
8, 2. Way too short, and needed it to relate back to the cards.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #1153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
8, 2. Way too short, and needed it to relate back to the cards.
You still needed cards, just specific inserts...

Remember, this is the 5th installment of the Ginter Code, and they've already used the base and insert sets extensively (background colors, birthdays, words on the back), even the promo card; you cannot expect the same tricks to be used again. Besides, to quote Topps when announcing 2012 A&G:

"Be sure to keep an eye out for the Ginter Code. It will return, but in an all-new, surprising, engaging, and accessible format!"

Looking for: Nick Tropeano (Astros), Kyle Smith (Royals/Astros)
poppudaimadochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #1154 (permalink)

So is it over or we back in September? I noticed it didn't say cracked the first time
darkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1155 (permalink)

Quote:
What did you guys think of the "DOS game" set-up for this code? Scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Not At All Enjoyable and 10 was Very Enjoyable.

What did you think of the length of time and depth of the code? Scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Very Disappointed in the Length and 10 is Very Pleased with the length/depth.
"DOS game" setup -- 8. I really had a lot of fun with this. Slightly disappointed with the spelling/grammatical mistakes and a couple of glitches, but other than that it was a blast.

Length/depth of the code -- 5. While I do believe that the best man/team won (as evidenced by their win last year), I'm disappointed that it was truly a down-to-the-minute race at the end. I'll bet there were other teams that gathered all the evidence and were working on the email when Guillaume sent his submission in. That, to me, is not kosher with the traditional methods used to crack codes. To solve a murder mystery? Yes. But to crack a code? No. May seem like semantics to some, but the promo card says "be the first to crack the code". Last year's contest was a cryptographic problem. This year's, IMO, was not.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1156 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
"DOS game" setup -- 8. I really had a lot of fun with this. Slightly disappointed with the spelling/grammatical mistakes and a couple of glitches, but other than that it was a blast.

Length/depth of the code -- 5. While I do believe that the best man/team won (as evidenced by their win last year), I'm disappointed that it was truly a down-to-the-minute race at the end. I'll bet there were other teams that gathered all the evidence and were working on the email when Guillaume sent his submission in. That, to me, is not kosher with the traditional methods used to crack codes. To solve a murder mystery? Yes. But to crack a code? No. May seem like semantics to some, but the promo card says "be the first to crack the code". Last year's contest was a cryptographic problem. This year's, IMO, was not.

I think what we all need to keep in mind here is that Topps is trying something different compared to how they typically ran this contest in the past. Here is what we know:

The Murder in Willow Cove "mystery code" was extremely short. If you go back to the early pages of this thread, you will see that someone on this thread found the webpages that would eventually be used to crack the code right after release. Had those websites gone live RIGHT AFTER Lennie's murder, the mystery would have likely ended on July 20th or 21st.

The fact that Topps waited until July 30th to make those sites live lets me know that they were using their resources (the twitter characters as well as the blog) to help set up the race to catch the murderer, and also perhaps set up what else is to come this year.

Once the websites were live, the codemaster tweeted a semi-obvious hint as to what to do, and how to win. The fact that Topps was eager for this to finish tells us that there is more to come:

AND....Then the Codemaster mentions of Joey Furts' Con in September. This tells us a couple of things:

1.) There is at least one more "code" or "mystery" that can be solved this year. In my opinion, I think there will be even more than 2...something like 4 or 5 (one every 2 months or so). This is a brilliant idea by Topps if you think about it. What better way for Topps to keep attention and eyes on Allen & Ginter than to have a series of codes, rather than one big code that bores the hell out of everyone chasing after it (see last year)

2.) There is a possibility that the cards could come into play later this year

3.) If the Furts' code is the same way (online with twitter and blog with no cards) then code from this year going forward could be considered a "no purchase necessary" contest.

Any other thoughts? THis thread is becoming blowouts largest if I researched correctly. lol
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #1157 (permalink)

oh and for anyone researching card differences....bye bye 4 hours of my life

#1 Albert pujols-different photo
#45 Ewa Mataya- The cue stick is over, not under the trianlge
#57 Michael Pineda- different photo
#77 Chris Young- different photo
#247 Hank Aaron different photo
#270 Anthony Rizzo- different photo
#277 Jesus Montero- different photo
#280 Brandon Belt- different photo and alternate jersey color
#346 Good ole left is really Capt Norm Bartlett in the mini

also
#222 CC Sabathia and #135 Michael Morse its the same photo, but it more that recentered its very slanted in one and straight in the other. That could be nothing though

Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
I think what we all need to keep in mind here is that Topps is trying something different compared to how they typically ran this contest in the past. Here is what we know:

The Murder in Willow Cove "mystery code" was extremely short. If you go back to the early pages of this thread, you will see that someone on this thread found the webpages that would eventually be used to crack the code right after release. Had those websites gone live RIGHT AFTER Lennie's murder, the mystery would have likely ended on July 20th or 21st.

The fact that Topps waited until July 30th to make those sites live lets me know that they were using their resources (the twitter characters as well as the blog) to help set up the race to catch the murderer, and also perhaps set up what else is to come this year.

Once the websites were live, the codemaster tweeted a semi-obvious hint as to what to do, and how to win. The fact that Topps was eager for this to finish tells us that there is more to come:

AND....Then the Codemaster mentions of Joey Furts' Con in September. This tells us a couple of things:

1.) There is at least one more "code" or "mystery" that can be solved this year. In my opinion, I think there will be even more than 2...something like 4 or 5 (one every 2 months or so). This is a brilliant idea by Topps if you think about it. What better way for Topps to keep attention and eyes on Allen & Ginter than to have a series of codes, rather than one big code that bores the hell out of everyone chasing after it (see last year)

2.) There is a possibility that the cards could come into play later this year

3.) If the Furts' code is the same way (online with twitter and blog with no cards) then code from this year going forward could be considered a "no purchase necessary" contest.

Any other thoughts? THis thread is becoming blowouts largest if I researched correctly. lol
Not even close
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...y-19-spot.html
WWE Discussion thread- Raw/SD/PPV
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Old 08-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #1159 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ah, I see. I meant in the baseball forum. I see we have a ways to go
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #1160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
Ah, I see. I meant in the baseball forum. I see we have a ways to go
With at least 1 more contest to go, we should get these easy..if we keep this thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #1161 (permalink)

Quote:
It's odd though, the codemaster himself stated that they tweaked the code last year so that it wouldn't end so fast and wouldn't favor those with means/money to get all the cards/scans . . . . but they had no issue with it ending really quick so long as everyone started at the same time?

10 on game and 1 on how long it took
kpcubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #1162 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I know there is another mini-game or games to come, but I think I'd give the format a 5, and the depth a 3.

What this really came down to was guessing/hacking 6 passwords, and spending most of a 4-8 hour period exploring a small "video game".

I just felt lacking and substance-free. Did I love trying to guess passwords? No, not really. And I'm guessing that between trading and scripting, there wasn't a ton of effort outside of the netbook.

I guess the idea was to give everyone some little successes (figuring out the right keyword to use to get into the next page) so that you couldn't state it was "boring" or "too hard". I get that, and I can empathize with Topps after last year's debacle.

Perhaps if there had been a few more puzzles or messages to find, other than mindlessly collecting evidence.

It sounds like I'm really down on this, but I think that's only because Topps set a pretty high bar. There was some real intellectual strength used in the codes from 2008-2011, and this felt more like seeing who could run through the maze the quickest with a couple challenges.

Whoever surmised that a couple of groups likely found the submission page, and the Codemaster wanted to give everyone a shot across the bow to warn them last night, was probably right. Sets an interesting new precedent however.

While Topps likely doesn't have the development cycle to do something like Perplex City or The Beast, it would be cool to see more depth if they are going to go the alternate reality game route.

As everyone else said, this is no knock on the winners or close runners-ups, I just figured I'd give a small forum for Topps to get some feedback in case they wanted any.

I had fun in this thread with everyone. It sure was a nice way to pass the time.
jmel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #1163 (permalink)

I appreciated the sprint instead of the marathon this year. And my wife was happy about it too. For the record, I also liked the gated start and the minimal amount of cards required. Zero cards if you were on this thread (or could peak in on it from time to time to see how things were progressing for others).

This contest shouldn't be about who can afford the most variants and put them together, but about being able to work with the information provided. No one should be cut out because they can't afford to track down something they don't have. In fact, its strange that some here would think that given the whole POINT of this thread it seemed was to give away freely things thoughts to be pertinent information.

I did miss using the real set a bit, but ultimately I found this more fair which I always like. Level playing fields. and all...

And CrazyPaul was a nice guy to me on twitter, and he certainly didn't seem to "outdouche" half the posts on this thread (you know who you are), so I don't know why someone would say he was.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure the DLC in September isn't even the half of it. Lots of dangling threads out there...
TheRealFrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #1164 (permalink)

Quote:
I know there is another mini-game or games to come, but I think I'd give the format a 5, and the depth a 3.

What this really came down to was guessing/hacking 6 passwords, and spending most of a 4-8 hour period exploring a small "video game".

I just felt lacking and substance-free. Did I love trying to guess passwords? No, not really. And I'm guessing that between trading and scripting, there wasn't a ton of effort outside of the netbook.

I guess the idea was to give everyone some little successes (figuring out the right keyword to use to get into the next page) so that you couldn't state it was "boring" or "too hard". I get that, and I can empathize with Topps after last year's debacle.

Perhaps if there had been a few more puzzles or messages to find, other than mindlessly collecting evidence.

It sounds like I'm really down on this, but I think that's only because Topps set a pretty high bar. There was some real intellectual strength used in the codes from 2008-2011, and this felt more like seeing who could run through the maze the quickest with a couple challenges.

Whoever surmised that a couple of groups likely found the submission page, and the Codemaster wanted to give everyone a shot across the bow to warn them last night, was probably right. Sets an interesting new precedent however.

While Topps likely doesn't have the development cycle to do something like Perplex City or The Beast, it would be cool to see more depth if they are going to go the alternate reality game route.

As everyone else said, this is no knock on the winners or close runners-ups, I just figured I'd give a small forum for Topps to get some feedback in case they wanted any.

I had fun in this thread with everyone. It sure was a nice way to pass the time.
Those are very fair points. I think it could have been a bit more in depth too. Or another level after the first (which it looks like there is, but ultimately, unrelated to the big prize).

Also-this is Topps first real crack at this. The tweet about #2013 looks promising that if they keep going this direction it will get bigger and better.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #1165 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrankL View Post
And for the record, I'm pretty sure the DLC in September isn't even the half of it. Lots of dangling threads out there...
Agreed on your comments.

I think we all thought "why give us half the backstory and never fill in the gaps?".

You've got the mayor thing, thing joey furts thing, the land deal . . . . all sorts of stuff to work with for however long they want to do it.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1166 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:

This contest shouldn't be about who can afford the most variants and put them together, but about being able to work with the information provided. No one should be cut out because they can't afford to track down something they don't have. In fact, its strange that some here would think that given the whole POINT of this thread it seemed was to give away freely things thoughts to be pertinent information.
Specific to this point, there's also no reason that with Topps arsenal, that they couldn't put together a "code set" to be released online for all the would-be codebreakers. They already have the technology with the e-Topps stuff and this would give the same "gated start" that I think we can all agree is fair.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #1167 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Tommy12oz;3070863]
Quote:
Ginter Code ‏@TheGinterCode
The murder is solved, but Willow Cove lives on. Check back in September to crack Joey Furts' con. #thegintercode
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
QUOTE]

So Good Ole Lefty still has a chance to relevant is solving soemthing? Nice,,,lol
So they are going to have a little mini code?
Armystrong2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #1168 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed on your comments.

I think we all thought "why give us half the backstory and never fill in the gaps?".

You've got the mayor thing, thing joey furts thing, the land deal . . . . all sorts of stuff to work with for however long they want to do it.
I wonder if 2013 main code will also involve the same crew of Willow Cove, or back to using the cards. Maybe they'll use Tout instead of Twitter
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #1169 (permalink)

This was my first time trying to crack the Ginter Code and I have to say it was a lot of fun. I am more frustrated that they pick 10pm ET as that is when I have to leave for work. I pushed off leaving for as long as I could but couldn't get LennieBennieBear before I left and it was solved by the time I got to work.

The most frustrating thing was after finding this forum it took several days to get the approval to use it. I had everything except LBB and would have been happy to trade info.

I am excited to see what they have in store for Willow Cove
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #1170 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
This was my first time trying to crack the Ginter Code and I have to say it was a lot of fun. I am more frustrated that they pick 10pm ET as that is when I have to leave for work. I pushed off leaving for as long as I could but couldn't get LennieBennieBear before I left and it was solved by the time I got to work.

The most frustrating thing was after finding this forum it took several days to get the approval to use it. I had everything except LBB and would have been happy to trade info.

I am excited to see what they have in store for Willow Cove
As someone else said, it's amazing how different people think so differently. I got lenniebenniebear on the very first try. But I would have never thought to talk to Gary Linderman by the blankets.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #1171 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Part of me now thinks the reason for the 10pm hint last night was due to all the trading of information going on, and the spilling of information on here (which I have no strong feelings about - if you are going to make the code hinge on 6 pieces of tradeable information, that's a design flaw).

The codemaster could have decided that he wanted someone he perceived to already have all the evidence and was just trying to hit the url to win. That's now my leading hypothesis. And I wouldn't blame him for that.

I think the issue is, there was such a culture of trading info last year around the fake code - the clovers and symbols and such - that people had already perfected that trade for this year. So when it came to "I've got this, you need that, let's deal" it was quick for everyone to do.

The issue is the information eventually filters out to everyone, so you might as well have one person just post all the information right in the open.

I know this is why I preferred the earlier codes that relied on some sort of lateral thinking to make your way through. And, in fact, if this code would have had all this information gathering, as I like to call it, as a step 1, and a real "code" as a step 2, it probably would have been more interesting.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #1172 (permalink)

Quote:

And CrazyPaul was a nice guy to me on twitter, and he certainly didn't seem to "outdouche" half the posts on this thread (you know who you are), so I don't know why someone would say he was.

Yeah he kisses your butt, you got friendly with him on twitter...chatting with a previous winner gave him a big head and he then tweeted and ridiculed the people on this thread that were trying to crack the code in a very condescending manner.

Okay enough with that, let's all be happy

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #1173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy12oz View Post
Yeah he kisses your butt, you got friendly with him on twitter...chatting with a previous winner gave him a big head and he then tweeted and ridiculed the people on this thread that were trying to crack the code in a very condescending manner.

Okay enough with that, let's all be happy
I wouldn't characterize my interactions with Paul as butt kissing at all. As I was the one having them, I'm pretty confident in that assessment.

As to everything else, I seem to remember a saying about opinions and everyone having one, so obviously won't argue that you can't have your own assessment.

Anyway, he doesn't need me to defend him. Mostly I post this because I think it mischaracterizes his interaction with me. That is all.

Record straight, carry on.

@TheRealFrankL. Co-host of @Nationals101 and @BBillsMNY
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #1174 (permalink)

Quote:
Part of me now thinks the reason for the 10pm hint last night was due to all the trading of information going on, and the spilling of information on here (which I have no strong feelings about - if you are going to make the code hinge on 6 pieces of tradeable information, that's a design flaw).

The codemaster could have decided that he wanted someone he perceived to already have all the evidence and was just trying to hit the url to win. That's now my leading hypothesis. And I wouldn't blame him for that.

I think the issue is, there was such a culture of trading info last year around the fake code - the clovers and symbols and such - that people had already perfected that trade for this year. So when it came to "I've got this, you need that, let's deal" it was quick for everyone to do.

The issue is the information eventually filters out to everyone, so you might as well have one person just post all the information right in the open.

I know this is why I preferred the earlier codes that relied on some sort of lateral thinking to make your way through. And, in fact, if this code would have had all this information gathering, as I like to call it, as a step 1, and a real "code" as a step 2, it probably would have been more interesting.
Another good and fair criticism. You do have a point.

As to Topps, etc. hinging last night's clue on the trading of info-that's possible. I do remember (and you can look at our blog post from solving it last year) that the code master admitted to keeping track of tweets and such to get a temperature of how the code was going. It was a double edged sword, you'd admit you were further behind by tweeting about it maybe, but you were more likely to get more clues.

My best guess, tho, wasn't so much the forum chatter as the MIWC site. They almost certainly knew (based on hit counts, etc.) how quickly pieces were being found, and how many folks got into the netbook, talked to Linderman etc. It could be as simple as looking at the web stats and saying "Okay it looks like x number of people are within 2 clues of having it all but no one has found the last page yet. Let's finish this up."

That of course would be a byproduct, at least in part, of the sharing that went on here.

@TheRealFrankL. Co-host of @Nationals101 and @BBillsMNY
Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #1175 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't characterize my interactions with Paul as butt kissing at all. As I was the one having them, I'm pretty confident in that assessment.

As to everything else, I seem to remember a saying about opinions and everyone having one, so obviously won't argue that you can't have your own assessment.

Anyway, he doesn't need me to defend him. Mostly I post this because I think it mischaracterizes his interaction with me. That is all.

Record straight, carry on.