Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1201 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrankL View Post
CODEMASTER POSTED A COMMMENT ON THE BLOG:

From: First Point of Aries: The 2011 Ginter Code Story: Case Closed! How to solve the 2012 Allen & Ginter Code

Glad you guys had fun again. I'll be back at a later date with more complete thoughts--and if anyone reading this has any questions, please feel free to ask, though I may not be able to answer--but I did want to mention two things.

1 - I can't really get into the why, but the code this year was absolutely intentionally accelerated, and no one is more disappointed about that than I am.

2 - There was honestly no part of this code that I thought longer and harder about than the ellipsis in the netbook password. Reading reactions, I'm happy now I included it.

So there you go Please keep checking back because, it seems, our code master is going to happily oblige us the best he can. (and seriously-be nice! )
No doubt it was the situation in Colorado. Sad. Sad for everyone. Clearly that was tons more important and a nightmare for Topps. Just bad coincidence.
jmel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #1202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07 View Post
No doubt it was the situation in Colorado. Sad. Sad for everyone. Clearly that was tons more important and a nightmare for Topps. Just bad coincidence.
I wonder if the codemaster will ever share what the original plans were, if extensions would slowly be unlocked and be more buried, and if there was more to be added, or if it was all just sort of combined and thrown together. Maybe that's what the mini games are for, they were supposed to be all part of one thing that you needed to submit your evidence for all 6 parts, or submitting for one would get you a hint for the next step or something.
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #1203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
I wonder if the codemaster will ever share what the original plans were, if extensions would slowly be unlocked and be more buried, and if there was more to be added, or if it was all just sort of combined and thrown together. Maybe that's what the mini games are for, they were supposed to be all part of one thing that you needed to submit your evidence for all 6 parts, or submitting for one would get you a hint for the next step or something.

Maybe more of it would have been in real time, with characters moving around the DOS area, and you'd have to follow their posts to know where they'd be so you could interview for clues, much like the whole Gary Linderman thing. Just like a real investigation, you have to hunt people down.
kramerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1204 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
We'll likely never know, but I think it's pretty certain that they had to get rid of the entire murder plot and right quick.

I'm willing to give Topps a mulligan on this one. They were between a rock and a hard place. I don't think the mini games will make up for it, just because all the hoopla around being "the one" to crack it is gone, but I appreciate them putting something else out there and I look forward to the 2013 code.
jmel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #1205 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me the command to remove the piece of paper from the door at Burgers Fries Pop. It is killing me that I still can't figure it out I know it has to be something simple, I am just not thinking of.
playonbricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #1206 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playonbricks View Post
Can anyone tell me the command to remove the piece of paper from the door at Burgers Fries Pop. It is killing me that I still can't figure it out I know it has to be something simple, I am just not thinking of.
carefullyremove
Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #1207 (permalink)

Quote:
carefullyremove
Thanks. Was sure I tried that must of had a typo.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #1208 (permalink)

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find the info...

How did the winner submit the answer to win the contest? was there a form to fill out when you got to a certain point or did they have to tweet the answer?
worldwidebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #1209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidebrian View Post
I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find the info...

How did the winner submit the answer to win the contest? was there a form to fill out when you got to a certain point or did they have to tweet the answer?
Murder in Willow Cove!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #1210 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
Yes, it has been solved, and "quite lame" isn't quite how I'd put it, though I'm thinking many think that so far. I had fun, especially since the puzzle itself was zoned into skills I feel I have. The next one, in September, is likely to be better and hopefully will have more depth.
September of this year or next? Does that mean more Ginter will be released if this year?
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #1211 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
September of this year or next? Does that mean more Ginter will be released if this year?
September of this year...no more "new" ginter will be released. They are just going to continue the "Willow Cove" story arc, this time incorporating Joey Furts poker scheming into it. Should be a lot of fun
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #1212 (permalink)

I had a weird dream. Someone stole Joey Furts ‏poker hand when the lights went out, but he had all the other cards to prove his hand. When the storm of the century hit, all the cards had blown across Willow Cove in all types of random places. Joey decided to offer a reward to those who could locate the missing cards for him. Weird huh?

http://willowcovepokerclub.com/tomsp...-king-of-clubs
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #1213 (permalink)

No rest for the wicked!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #1214 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
September of this year...no more "new" ginter will be released. They are just going to continue the "Willow Cove" story arc, this time incorporating Joey Furts poker scheming into it. Should be a lot of fun
Will there be another prize associated with this one? Being that they give an auto set normally it would be sweet if they did a relic set with nothing but multi color patches!
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #1215 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
Will there be another prize associated with this one? Being that they give an auto set normally it would be sweet if they did a relic set with nothing but multi color patches!
There will be a prize I assume. Not a 1/1 set...but perhaps some cases or something? I do not know at this point.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #1216 (permalink)

So are we suppose to be able to do anything in murderinwillowcove.com or is he just setting it up like last time?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #1217 (permalink)

Quote:
So are we suppose to be able to do anything in murderinwillowcove.com or is he just setting it up like last time?
I would imagine we can just wait for further instructions. There are new tweets from Willow Cove though
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #1218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I would imagine we can just wait for further instructions. There are new tweets from Willow Cove though
Yeah that is what I mean the tweets point you to the Givens front door but I can't figure out how to break the lock to get in. Not sure if the codemaster has some of the website blocked like last time or if it is just hard to figure out.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #1219 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah that is what I mean the tweets point you to the Givens front door but I can't figure out how to break the lock to get in. Not sure if the codemaster has some of the website blocked like last time or if it is just hard to figure out.
I really don't think there's anything to be done. I'd imagine anything pertinent is blocked off right now.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #1220 (permalink)
MSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
If I didn't know any better, Jack is Trudy's son..or this could all be a mere sidestory to what happened,,
Damn, I was close, not bad for a blind guess though..
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #1221 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
From who? I didn't see any.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #1222 (permalink)

Quote:
From who? I didn't see any.
I think he is talking about the tweets from the 3rd. Danny, Trudy, and Bear
Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #1223 (permalink)

Thumbs down

This year was my first Ginter code attempt... Some thoughts from a new guy...

1) The subject material was absolutely a horrible concept. Murder is a sensitive issue in this world climate (even prior to the Colorado tragedy). I'm honestly not overly sensitive to the subject, but come on man, does anyone think it's a great idea for young kids to find cards of bloody evidence and ransom notes in their pack of baseball cards? I support the freedom of speech, but I also believe in common sense and tact.

2) The fact a simple script could be written to hack any of the passwords is ridiculous. Maybe Topps realized the blunder in 1) and made it extra easy on purpose. Or maybe they just didn't think through the fact most people know how to write code cracking scripts in their sleep. In my opinion, all the passwords should have been derived from text (or association with the base set + inserts), which would have made it a ton more difficult. Look at all the open frustration over the Netbook password if you disagree...

3) I think it was a bit ridiculous that some of the game was time-based. I guess next time, I'll just quit my regular job so I can sit up past midnight to talk to a fictional character in an alley.

4) I can't believe such an awesome prize could be achieved for such an easy game. They could have just drawn names out of a hat instead. Or perhaps provided a Twitter link to a Pong interface, so we could challenge last year's winners to decide who gets the prize?

Otherwise, I guess it wasted enough time to be fun... For what it's worth, I couldn't figure out the Netbook password like everyone else... So starting now I'll just add three stupid dots to the end of every sentence I type, even though my English professor said never to do this...
mrpivo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #1224 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpivo01 View Post
This year was my first Ginter code attempt... Some thoughts from a new guy...

1) The subject material was absolutely a horrible concept. Murder is a sensitive issue in this world climate (even prior to the Colorado tragedy). I'm honestly not overly sensitive to the subject, but come on man, does anyone think it's a great idea for young kids to find cards of bloody evidence and ransom notes in their pack of baseball cards? I support the freedom of speech, but I also believe in common sense and tact.

2) The fact a simple script could be written to hack any of the passwords is ridiculous. Maybe Topps realized the blunder in 1) and made it extra easy on purpose. Or maybe they just didn't think through the fact most people know how to write code cracking scripts in their sleep. In my opinion, all the passwords should have been derived from text (or association with the base set + inserts), which would have made it a ton more difficult. Look at all the open frustration over the Netbook password if you disagree...

3) I think it was a bit ridiculous that some of the game was time-based. I guess next time, I'll just quit my regular job so I can sit up past midnight to talk to a fictional character in an alley.

4) I can't believe such an awesome prize could be achieved for such an easy game. They could have just drawn names out of a hat instead. Or perhaps provided a Twitter link to a Pong interface, so we could challenge last year's winners to decide who gets the prize?

Otherwise, I guess it wasted enough time to be fun... For what it's worth, I couldn't figure out the Netbook password like everyone else... So starting now I'll just add three stupid dots to the end of every sentence I type, even though my English professor said never to do this...

1. Thankfully we dont' live in China and kids, for the most part, can handle fictional murders. Lord knows I wouldn't hand them the first issue of Spider-Man, let them watch The Lion King, or read the Bible...

2. All the passwords were derived from the text. a "simple script" wasn't going to get the word passwords, and only the passcodes, which is why all the script writters couldn't come up with it in their sleep.

3. It's true. G and I quit our jobs each July and retreat to a cave with Internet access to do this. Our regular day jobs make it real hard to stay up to midnight once a week to check something out in the event of winning a pretty awesome prize. Hopefully we'll be able to get our jobs back now. You can't eat baseball cards, after all.

4. Yes. Super Easy. Apart from the passwords you didn't get and not wanting to stay up til midnight, you had it buddy. Thankfully, for us, you just didn't feel like seeing it through, or we would have been cooked. Of course, one day, when you design your own code and it has a super awesome prize, no one will ever get it. And if they do get it, it will be the one time in the history of the Internet that everyone was satisifed with the outcome because, yes, you, the one person who can do things perfectly will have done this code.

You know this wasn't a marathon this year, but it was a sprint-and that's just as hard to win, albeit in a different way.

I don't take offense so much on my behalf, but there are a lot of people on here who worked really hard on this and didn't get. I, for one, am keenly aware that we were with in minutes, if not seconds, of having to congratulate another team on its fine work. You might say it's a bit easy to say this from where I sit, but you wouldn't have heard me complain about someone else winning this or it being "easy." Because in that case, it can't have been that easy, can it?

And you have the balls to sit there and say it was "so easy" as to be dismissive of the whole thing? Maybe next time if you find money lying in the street you should bother to bend over and pick it up rather than walk by it and complain when someone else picks it up. By all means, don't hold back next time if this such child's play for you. Write your scripts. Take a nap and get up at midnight. Take a personal day if you have to, I'm sure your boss will understand.

Troll.

@TheRealFrankL. Co-host of @Nationals101 and @BBillsMNY
TheRealFrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #1225 (permalink)

Stands. Starts slow clap.

Bravo.