Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #1226 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CrazyCarl

I felt too new to say that, thank you Frank.

Last edited by CrazyCarl; 08-19-2012 at 11:53 PM.
CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #1227 (permalink)

It wasn't the Ginter Code, it was the Twitter Code.

That is all.
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #1228 (permalink)

To the winner...

Enjoy your "super awesome" prize. Regardless of who won, it was still "easy" compared to previous year codes. I have no doubt you're right you were minutes away from congratulating somebody else on their win. I never said people didn't work hard, so don't misunderstand.

As far as your "troll" comment, there's no need for personal attacks. I don't remember addressing my post to you.

Maybe you'll win the next several years in a row and push everyone else out of the game. Then it can be a series of Tweets between you and Topps on what "super awesome" prizes you want.

All said, I'm not going to waste my time on this nonsense game in the future. This experience was enlightening. Good luck to everyone else!
mrpivo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #1229 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post

That is all.
Actually.....I agree with this comment. +1 to that.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #1230 (permalink)

Quote:

That is all.
This much I agree with. It was very product lite.

@TheRealFrankL. Co-host of @Nationals101 and @BBillsMNY
TheRealFrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #1231 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpivo01 View Post
To the winner...

Enjoy your "super awesome" prize. Regardless of who won, it was still "easy" compared to previous year codes. I have no doubt you're right you were minutes away from congratulating somebody else on their win. I never said people didn't work hard, so don't misunderstand.

As far as your "troll" comment, there's no need for personal attacks. I don't remember addressing my post to you.

Maybe you'll win the next several years in a row and push everyone else out of the game. Then it can be a series of Tweets between you and Topps on what "super awesome" prizes you want.

All said, I'm not going to waste my time on this nonsense game in the future. This experience was enlightening. Good luck to everyone else!
Yeah, everything is easy when looking back at it; I'm sure I can crack the 2008 or 2010 codes in minutes now that I know the trick too....

And about challenging us to a game of Pong (which is where you mentioned us), I prefer Rock-Paper-Scissors, it's more noble.

The game was heavily centered around Twitter, that is true. It was kind of announced too. As I said before, I would be curious (seriously, I am) to hear fellow codebreakers' ideas on what would be a great code to crack; there are only so many ways baseball cards can be used to hide information, and last year showed that it was pushed to the extreme already...

If you feel you've had it with the Code, then I'm sorry you did not enjoy the experience; but don't make comments like "quitting your job", this is criticism on others who tried it too and found the Linderman trick.

Looking for: Nick Tropeano (Astros), Kyle Smith (Royals/Astros)
poppudaimadochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #1232 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrankL View Post
This much I agree with. It was very product lite.
See, to me that is why I feel like this years code really came up short. Aside from the obvious (Sprint pace versus the traditional marathon) this years code was unlike any other if you think about it. Absolutely no information derived from the cards in the set. None. Zip. Nada.

When G and I chatted hours before you guys (and us just a few minutes after ) Solved it, we both basically wondered the same thing: When do the cards come in? After all, that is the whole premise of the code, isnt it?

Well, we thought wrong of course.

Overall, my point is this didn't feel like something that was planned. Honestly, Topps could have created the promo and character cards, inserted them into packs, and made the twitter accounts/blog/website in a very short time period. The website basically boiled down to six passwords/codes and meeting Gary Linderman.

If you really consider the amount of time needed to solve the puzzle, you can begin to see my point. It is not that I wanted all of us to be kept stalled for 7 or 8 months...but I felt like 48 hours was such a short time period. After sitting back and digesting this whole experience over the past few days, I can begin to realize why there will be another "Mini Code" or "contest" in September: I know it was poorly planned, codebreakers as a whole know it was poorly planned, and even Topps knows it was poorly planned.

just my two cents yet again
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #1233 (permalink)

"Yeah, everything is easy when looking back at it; I'm sure I can crack the 2008 or 2010 codes in minutes now that I know the trick too...."

Maybe. To be honest, most people couldn't have cracked last year's code even after they looked back on the write-up. It was a terrific accomplishment for you to figure out last year's code by the way.

"And about challenging us to a game of Pong (which is where you mentioned us), I prefer Rock-Paper-Scissors, it's more noble."

Yes, Rock-Paper-Scissors is pretty noble, and no electronic glitches would make a more-even playing field. I was kidding, but maybe Topps will integrate you two as characters in next year's game...

"If you feel you've had it with the Code, then I'm sorry you did not enjoy the experience;"

To me, it was just very disappointing that they went from one extreme to another in terms of code complexity... There are a ton of smart and dedicated people on this forum as evidenced by posts throughout the contest. It was honestly like challenging a room full of Calculus professors to a basic subtraction problem.

It does bring up an interesting debate... Should code-breaking be more about speed, complexity, or a mixture of both? I like a bit of both, and I think they've missed the mark two years straight. Maybe they're starting to run out of new ideas.

By the way, don't take my opinion and attempt at humor to heart... I have a lot of respect for you guys beating it two years in a row.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #1234 (permalink)

As a past winner who lost the title to Frank and Guillaume, gents, congrats, again!

Guys - the code was different this year. That's all. When Tony K, Nick and I cracked it in 2010, the trick was actually getting the code from tops by emailing them. From there you had to break the key. That was product heavy as you needed all of the base cards.

Yes this code felt dragged out unnecessarily, but I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent talking to my buddies and to all of you on here. Would I rather have read a piece of literature or maybe enjoyed some time off instead? Actually, no. I can say that I truly enjoyed the experience and the thrill of the new tweets and the scrambling to figure out what came next.

See you in a month.

Baseball cards for breakfast...
Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #1235 (permalink)

As a first time player... I was disappointed it was over so soon... I don't want to say it was easy but I seem to be a lot farther then I would have expected to be.. That being said... It was definitely fun.. Looking forward to it in September!
darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #1236 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CrazyCarl

Ok, it's September 1, now what?
CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #1237 (permalink)

Stay glued to twitter I suppose...
Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #1238 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

That is all.
Which sucks for people who dont use Twitter, so it was an unfair contest to say the least. TOPPS....you suck!
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1239 (permalink)

Isn't a new Ginter Code supposed to start today?

Nothing is posted on the twitter account

Ginter Code (TheGinterCode) on Twitter
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #1240 (permalink)

Default Par for the Course

It wouldn't be a shock to me if the September version was already cracked and behind us after 24 hours.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #1241 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Isn't a new Ginter Code supposed to start today?

Nothing is posted on the twitter account

Ginter Code (TheGinterCode) on Twitter

He just said September, didn't say Sept 1. It'll come when it comes, we're in no danger of missing anything.....
kramerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #1242 (permalink)

Default Hmmm...

...On the other hand, we might be in danger of nothing happening. September is just about over. My guess is they canned the idea, which would fit this year's random theme.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #1243 (permalink)

3 days left
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #1244 (permalink)

John Allen ‏@TheAllenCode
My brother was always bad with a calendar. #thegintercode

Oh well.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #1245 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrankL View Post
John Allen ‏@TheAllenCode
My brother was always bad with a calendar. #thegintercode

Oh well.
LOL ... how long has that account been around? Some funny tweets there.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #1246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
LOL ... how long has that account been around? Some funny tweets there.
Started some time this year. I think it'll pick up again if they get more codes active.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #1247 (permalink)

Default October is here!

I can't get over how many unopened A&G boxes I've seen at all the card stores I frequent. Nobody is buying the product.

I'm sure there is a correlation between sales volume and how quickly the code is broken. Makes you wonder if their marketing department signs off on the game complexity or not...

I seriously doubt they'll start up another game on Twitter until the next set is released.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #1248 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpivo01 View Post
I can't get over how many unopened A&G boxes I've seen at all the card stores I frequent. Nobody is buying the product.

I'm sure there is a correlation between sales volume and how quickly the code is broken. Makes you wonder if their marketing department signs off on the game complexity or not...

I seriously doubt they'll start up another game on Twitter until the next set is released.
Good point; I wonder what the sales were like for the 2011 boxes, considering the code went on for 8-9 months...

Looking for: Nick Tropeano (Astros), Kyle Smith (Royals/Astros)
poppudaimadochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #1249 (permalink)

Default See you in September

My calendar reads October 8th..... It would have been nice to be updated by the good folks at Topps, but sometimes you find that the powerful don't mind alienating "common people". Glad I limited my 2012 A&G to two packs. Kept Erin Andrews & David Price and threw the rest in the garbage.
coconut giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #1250 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut giraffe View Post
My calendar reads October 8th..... It would have been nice to be updated by the good folks at Topps, but sometimes you find that the powerful don't mind alienating "common people". Glad I limited my 2012 A&G to two packs. Kept Erin Andrews & David Price and threw the rest in the garbage.
Wow. People like you ruin the hobby.
kpcubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote