Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #176 (permalink)

Here are all the 50 fronts.

Thanks again to BrettandBecca for taking the time to scan these while breaking.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #177 (permalink)
MSD

Really 7,8 months???

Guess I won't bother with this..
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #178 (permalink)

if you think you crack the code, how are you suppose to let topps know?
GoA's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #179 (permalink)

Thanks @nikobaseball for posting these scans, and @brentandbecca for supplying them. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm still curious though to see how the subjects of the cards relate to their position within the article. Whether or not there might be some kind of pattern there to follow.
the1runt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoA's View Post
if you think you crack the code, how are you suppose to let topps know?
THe code tells you how to let them know... last year it was a twitter account that you log into and tweet a certain message...
Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #181 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cool2go View Post
THe code tells you how to let them know... last year it was a twitter account that you log into and tweet a certain message...
lol, that is crazy!
GoA's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #182 (permalink)

nikobaseball Thanks for sharing, awesome job!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #183 (permalink)

I have a couple GOUNDBREAKING IDEAS....
The paper has the date on the 18th of July 2012....so I was thinking to check back on the willow cove page.....I think it will be up at 8:00 am sharp like the article saws something about the time...
Also, when you solver the code... Maybe make a blog from this link...
http://ilovecovewatercooler.blogspot.com/
It says that website on the bottom left card of the newspaper...I have some more ideas....
I know the suspects have been figured out BUT it says mid 50s for the weather so maybe there are a few more "rare" suspects or suspect clues that will eliminate them down to 40...
I'll let you know further thoughts......
Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #184 (permalink)

When I scanned these I scanned them so the fronts matched the backs of them, so he may still have the original backs in the same order as the fronts

hope it helps you guys
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #185 (permalink)

Default The long game.

I'm sure most of you were coming here everyday last year (like I was) to try to get new info to "crack the code". Well, get ready for the long game.

Topps has created a truly amazing/entertaining/frustrating product. Their use of social media in conjunction with their discoverable set of instructions allows them to play this thing out as long as they like. Last year, the information necessary to crack the code wasn't available until a few hours before the code was cracked!

I'm equal parts excited and exasperated that the code is back. I shudder to think I'm going to be glued to my phone all summer, checking twitter multiple times per minute to dissect the latest tweets from the denizens of Willow Cove, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think it's going to be a long time before this one gets solved, but I'll be coming here everyday until it does.
Kennydeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #186 (permalink)

One thing to note is this paper is 8 pages. I'd Imagine another 7 pages could possibly be involved somehow?
gocubs1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #187 (permalink)
MSD

If you guys didn't notice. the word spacing in the newspaper is relatively inconsistent. If I'm guessing, there's probably some sort of algorithm in the paper based on one of the "important" numbers given(25 cents, Lane 17, July 18th, Weather). I'll convert it to a word document and put it in excel once I get some free time :/

*There's a good chance it means nothing
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
If you guys didn't notice. the word spacing in the newspaper is relatively inconsistent.
Feel like the word spacing is just trying to fit the words into the right column length.
gocubs1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennydeanz View Post
Last year, the information necessary to crack the code wasn't available until a few hours before the code was cracked!
That's not entirely true; all the relevant information was right under our eyes, but the Codemaster had to nudge us in the right direction and way to use that information.

It will probably be the same this year; they upped the level of madness a tad though, will all the "real time" theme!!

Looking for: Nick Tropeano (Astros), Kyle Smith (Royals/Astros)
poppudaimadochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
If you guys didn't notice. the word spacing in the newspaper is relatively inconsistent. If I'm guessing, there's probably some sort of algorithm in the paper based on one of the "important" numbers given(25 cents, Lane 17, July 18th, Weather). I'll convert it to a word document and put it in excel once I get some free time :/

*There's a good chance it means nothing
It looks the same as a normal paper, just the aligning to the center.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #191 (permalink)

For whatever reason, I have a feeling that the "Vol. 125 No. 171" will have some significance...possibly the cards in the set? Ben Revere and Stephen Strasburg, for what it's worth.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #192 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmadeofsteel View Post
I have a couple GOUNDBREAKING IDEAS....
The paper has the date on the 18th of July 2012....so I was thinking to check back on the willow cove page.....I think it will be up at 8:00 am sharp like the article saws something about the time...
Also, when you solver the code... Maybe make a blog from this link...
http://ilovecovewatercooler.blogspot.com/
It says that website on the bottom left card of the newspaper...I have some more ideas....
I know the suspects have been figured out BUT it says mid 50s for the weather so maybe there are a few more "rare" suspects or suspect clues that will eliminate them down to 40...
I'll let you know further thoughts......
It's The Willow Cove Water Cooler, it's the blog page for the newspaper. Though I believe you are correct in that we are going to need to interact with this site, and possibly with the characters on twitter. You can sign up on the blogspot page to receive notifications of new activity.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #193 (permalink)

Did you just find the site or did you find it with the help of me? Also, I don't have twitter so it will be awfully hard to crack for me personally....cool if I helped so far....
Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #194 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
For whatever reason, I have a feeling that the "Vol. 125 No. 171" will have some significance...possibly the cards in the set? Ben Revere and Stephen Strasburg, for what it's worth.
Probably a stretch, but I suppose could be something. I'm not sure yet how the murder mystery will connect to the rest or give you anything for letters for a code. There'd have to be more steps than putting in the murder combo into the murderinwillowcove.com site, or an account to the ftp site, that'd be too simple. The "What's in a Name" set could matter, but there don't seem to be any suspect names that are odd and would give out information, besides Guttman=gutters. Turning Points in History could be good if there's a turning point in the clues, but probably another stretch.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you just find the site or did you find it with the help of me? Also, I don't have twitter so it will be awfully hard to crack for me personally....cool if I helped so far....
That's a tough one to fix...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Noticed it monday when I got the code card that had the main part of the link listed.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #197 (permalink)

Check, Gary Linderman's connection with Lennie. It's odd. I've never heard of a transient, local or otherwise, having a house. Unless the "house" the card is referring to is a make shift cardboard or crate house.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #198 (permalink)

Okay so here is what popped out at me as I read the article....take it for what it's worth...

First,

-Gloria blatt is suspect number one. She discovered the body.

-The dead body was drug onto a fresh "oiled" lane. Footprints? Any other objects or places have oil on them?

-The town meeting section will be a live discussion for Q&A for the public (us). It will be at 7:00 sharp and will only accept questions related to the death. Do not miss this date and time. This is where the blog water cooler link comes into play. Check it out.

-The last paragraph of " sheriffs department short-handed" gives a clue what to take into account. The term "boots on the ground" may lead to the oil I mentioned above.

-17 appears several times in the article. Vol. 171. Lane 17. Guttmans son jack aged 17....

-They listed the age of lennie guttman. If my math is correct he is 36 years old. He had jack when he was only 19 years old.

-The article said there are 20 lanes in the bowling alley however the name " guttmans" In e picture is over lane 17. You would think it would be centered over lane 10 to give it some balance.

Again I'm just thinking Out loud to get the juices flowing for everyone.....thoughts?

Last edited by lauriontj; 07-12-2012 at 12:40 AM.
lauriontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #199 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriontj View Post
The article said there are 20 lanes in the bowling alley however the name " guttmans" In e picture is over lane 17. You would think it would be centered over lane 10 to give it some balance.
Or maybe they wanted to show the lane where the body was found, like in other "regular" murder mystery articles

Looking for: Nick Tropeano (Astros), Kyle Smith (Royals/Astros)
poppudaimadochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppudaimadochi View Post
Or maybe they wanted to show the lane where the body was found, like in other "regular" murder mystery articles

Very true...I was just pointing out some odd stuff...