Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question for you prospectors

Not sure if many prospectors look at relief pitchers but what stats are the important ones. I'm not that big into prospecting but have been collecting a player I went to high school with and I want to see how he is doing. Besides stats like ERA, K/IP, and the "worthless" Wins and Saves, I don't know which stats are the most relevant for relief pitchers.

Any help is appreciated. The player in case you are wondering is Mike Nesseth in the Phillies organization.
mcdo0423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Prospectors and Relievers are two words don't belong together. We try to avoid relievers at all costs. Any hint a player is becoming a reliever, you dump all cards no matter how much of a loss you get.
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
Prospectors and Relievers are two words don't belong together. We try to avoid relievers at all costs. Any hint a player is becoming a reliever, you dump all cards no matter how much of a loss you get.
Yep, pretty much the curse of death for a pitching prospect (getting moved to the pen), at least in hopes of making any money. Another one of the dangers when prospecting pitchers, that and injuries make them a risky proposition.

I would say WHIP, % of stranding inherited runners and K/IP would be your most important stats as a reliever, to answer your question.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
The good news is I'm not prospecting, I'm just PC'ing him as we went to school together so I don't care about a loss. I was just thinking prospectors would be good people to ask about what stats to look at for minor leaguers.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdo0423 View Post
The good news is I'm not prospecting, I'm just PC'ing him as we went to school together so I don't care about a loss. I was just thinking prospectors would be good people to ask about what stats to look at for minor leaguers.
Right but once a player converts to being a reliever, we pretty much don't care anymore so I'm not sure what stats to look for!
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Right but once a player converts to being a reliever, we pretty much don't care anymore so I'm not sure what stats to look for!
Guess I will just have to go off the stats I know and see if they progress through the minors. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Guess I will just have to go off the stats I know and see if they progress through the minors. Thanks for your input.
The problem is stats in the minors are definitely contextual because competition across all the levels is very inconsistent. Not every team is loaded with prospects & there are fillers as well. As far as relievers go, it's tough get a grasp on "what stats are good" because even top relievers like Papelbon & Rivera are worth only an additional 2 Wins above replacement. Obviously you are PC'ing him because he went to your high school. Best to just keep going and see if he makes the majors.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

my best advice is to not buy anything higher end for a bit because right now people would see his cards and be a fan of a team and still think maybe he could be a starter one day, once it's obvious he won't be you can have all of the pretty color refractors, etc that you want for next to nothing

http://marketplace.beckett.com/thescoutscards_1260
thescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Right
I am so glad I dumped my Mariano 92 Bowmans.....no.
I am collecting such a player now

Old 07-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
Right
I am so glad I dumped my Mariano 92 Bowmans.....no.
I am collecting such a player now

Come on, you are seriously making this comparison? Rivera was a starting pitcher when he was first called up to the Yankees. He was getting rocked so they decided to try something else and put him in the bullpen. I seriously doubt anybody thought he wold become the best relief pitcher of all time. Furthermore, I would treat him as the exception as opposed to the rule. As for your picture of Pat Venditte, he is nothing more than a novelty act at this point. I cannot imagine he makes any sort of impact at the major league level.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

No
i am making a generlized remark in relation to the topic at hand :0
I mean, I can pull up Goose or Rollie if that works :P
Per venditte, numbers and an oddity make for more than a novelty.
2.77 ERA to date. Review his stats from the last 2 years. If you are going to be biased, 790, please widen it for me just a tid bit, a fellow forum banterer :P
Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
No
i am making a generlized remark in relation to the topic at hand :0
I mean, I can pull up Goose or Rollie if that works :P
Per venditte, numbers and an oddity make for more than a novelty.
2.77 ERA to date. Review his stats from the last 2 years.
If you are going to be biased, 790, please widen it for me just a tid bit, a fellow forum banterer :P
You can't just go by minor league numbers & stats, especially when there is repeating of levels (High A & Double A). Competition is so inconsistent at them & not every team is facing quality hitters/pitchers. Some are stacked & some are barren. Stuff & velocity says he's not going to contribute in a major way. Bias has nothing to do with it.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

At this point I'm pretty lucky since he has only been in 2010 elite so cards are very cheap. He has been used as both a reliever and a starter (faired much better as a reliever).
Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
You can't just go by minor league numbers & stats, especially when there is repeating of levels (High A & Double A). Competition is so inconsistent at them & not every team is facing quality hitters/pitchers. Some are stacked & some are barren. Stuff & velocity says he's not going to contribute in a major way. Bias has nothing to do with it.
yes, BUT
Consistency between A,AA and now AAA International league with the teams they are facing ?
Come on now...
Well,we shall see and i hope you eat your words
Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure if many prospectors look at relief pitchers but what stats are the important ones. I'm not that big into prospecting but have been collecting a player I went to high school with and I want to see how he is doing. Besides stats like ERA, K/IP, and the "worthless" Wins and Saves, I don't know which stats are the most relevant for relief pitchers.

Any help is appreciated. The player in case you are wondering is Mike Nesseth in the Phillies organization.
ok

IP
H
H/9
So/9
ERA

I could care less about whip, games played, games won,games lost. Those parts of the game do not apply,at least to me,to the person on the mound.

Sometimes I do look at ER....but only when I see High strike numbers with high ERA.

Your guy is middle of the road.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
yes, BUT
Consistency between A,AA and now AAA International league with the teams they are facing ?
Come on now...
Well,we shall see and i hope you eat your words
If he becomes an impact player, I will be the first to admit that I am wrong.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

go collect Castellanos