Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #226 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
He is the Ace on the Nats, ask anybody in the clubhouse they know who the horse is there. Stras and JZ are beasts too though. Nats will be tough to beat this year even without Stras.
I'll have to agree with the pitching,but their offence has got to be more consitant .You cant win games unless you score ,and at times this year their offence has been shady . I mean look at the Phillies last year in the playoffs .
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
He is the Ace on the Nats, ask anybody in the clubhouse they know who the horse is there. Stras and JZ are beasts too though. Nats will be tough to beat this year even without Stras.
MVPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #228 (permalink)

Can anyone please tell me what pitcher is the hardest to get a hit against in the MLB, Who gives up the lowest average? Gio Gonzalez is #1 with opponents hitting at .208. Gio's ERA is not elite? It's under 3.

Last edited by Gio47; 09-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Gio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #229 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio47 View Post
Can anyone please tell me what pitcher is the hardest to get a hit against in the MLB? Who gives up the lowest average? Gio's ERA is not elite? It's under 3.
The same guy who's issued the 7th-most walks in the National League.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #230 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
The same guy who's issued the 7th-most walks in the National League.
EXACTLY. The guy gives up the 7th most walks yet he's at the top in every category and #1 in a lot of them. That shows how dominant he really is.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #231 (permalink)

Quote:
EXACTLY. The guy gives up the 7th most walks yet he's top 10 in nearly every category and #1 in a lot of them. That shows how dominant he really is.
Your logic ... it's ... hurting me ...
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #232 (permalink)

Quote:
EXACTLY. The guy gives up the 7th most walks yet he's top 10 in nearly every category and #1 in a lot of them. That shows how dominant he really is.
Eh...being top 10 in walks issued is not quite something to glaze over like that...
Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #233 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Your logic ... it's ... hurting me ...
Giving up walks is only a big problem when those walks are leading to runs. They aren't though. Gio has an elite ERA under 3.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #234 (permalink)

Quote:
Giving up walks is only a problem when those walks are leading to runs. They aren't though. Gio has an elite ERA under 3.
Um ... yes. Again, so does Kyle Lohse. Is he elite too?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #235 (permalink)

Quote:
Um ... yes. Again, so does Kyle Lohse. Is he elite too?
Lohse is not elite pitcher. His ERA is currently one of the best though, numbers don't lie.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #236 (permalink)

In Gio's career, his best month by far is September. He has the most wins, less losses, and lowest ERA in September. Last year, he was 5-1 with a 2.20 in September. He has now just thrown a complete game shutout and went 7 innings no runs yesterday. He could have easily thrown 9 yesterday to as he was in the low 90's pitch count. He will definitely end up either as the Cy Young or in second. Mark my words. All doubters will change their tune after he throws a gem against Dickey and gives him a loss in 4 days.

Last edited by Gio47; 09-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
In Gio's career, his best month by far is September. He has the most wins, less losses, and lowest ERA in September. He will definitely end up either as the Cy Young or in second. Mark my words.
I will mark your words. You are obviously biased though

And just so you know, when you say things like "by far", you should do the research. September is his 3rd-best month over his career.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
I will mark your words. You are obviously biased though

And just so you know, when you say things like "by far", you should do the research. September is his 3rd-best month over his career.
The last 3 years it's not even close. I do my research.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits...3/gio-gonzalez
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #239 (permalink)

Quote:
Can anyone please tell me what pitcher is the hardest to get a hit against in the MLB, Who gives up the lowest average? Gio Gonzalez is #1 with opponents hitting at .208. Gio's ERA is not elite? It's under 3.
Aroldis Chapman.

.132 BAA is smaller than .208 BAA

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #240 (permalink)

Quote:
Giving up walks is only a big problem when those walks are leading to runs. They aren't though. Gio has an elite ERA under 3.
...but they are! Gio doesn't give up hits or home runs, but people still score runs on him. How? Teams capitalize on the free passes to first!

Gio can miss bats, but he misses the strike zone a lot, too. We could run around in circles saying what would happen if he did put the ball over the plate more. Do his walks go down? Probably. Do the number of hits and home runs off him go up? That's likely too. There's no use in taking that route. Gio issues a lot of walks and that's how teams score on him.

Also, there's no need to qualify what an "elite" ERA is. Anything under 3 is of course very good...personally, I think "elite" is very low 2s, which no one this year has, of course. But the 0.4 he is trailing Cueto by at the moment is fairly substantial.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #241 (permalink)

Quote:
...but they are! Gio doesn't give up hits or home runs, but people still score runs on him. How? Teams capitalize on the free passes to first!

Gio can miss bats, but he misses the strike zone a lot, too. We could run around in circles saying what would happen if he did put the ball over the plate more. Do his walks go down? Probably. Do the number of hits and home runs off him go up? That's likely too. There's no use in taking that route. Gio issues a lot of walks and that's how teams score on him.

Also, there's no need to qualify what an "elite" ERA is. Anything under 3 is of course very good...personally, I think "elite" is very low 2s, which no one this year has, of course. But the 0.4 he is trailing Cueto by at the moment is fairly substantial.
Let's talk when Gio and the Nationals beat Dickey and the Mets in 4 nights. Your whole opinion on all of this will change. First to 20 wins is going to have a huge leg up on this race.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #242 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Aroldis Chapman.

.132 BAA is smaller than .208 BAA
I love when guys try to be smart asses and then look stupid. Obviously I was talking about starters. AND What is Huston Streets BAA? .094 BAA is smaller than .132.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #243 (permalink)

Quote:
Let's talk when Gio and the Nationals beat Dickey and the Mets in 4 nights. Your whole opinion on all of this will change. First to 20 wins is going to have a huge leg up on this race.
My opinion will not change because Johnny Cueto is not pitching in that game.

Please read this post and get back to me with that whole "wins" argument:

Quote:
Please guys, we need to get over this idea that wins are the end-all-be-all of pitching stats. Have a look at this: 2012 MLB Baseball Pitching Statistics and League Leaders - Major League Baseball - ESPN

This is a list of pitchers sorted by the average runs scored in support of them. Take a look at who's number 3.

Now take a look at where Cueto is. Take a look at where Kershaw is. Do my eyes deceive me? Nope. Neither of those guys is in the top 40 of run support in the National League.

18 wins looks very nice, indeed. But put Gio on the Mariners or the Astros and I don't think it's very likely he has the same success.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #244 (permalink)

Quote:
The last 3 years it's not even close. I do my research.

Gio Gonzalez Stats, Splits - Washington Nationals - ESPN
"for his career" and "last 3 years" are not the same thing. Maybe you do your research and just don't know how to vocalize your results.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #245 (permalink)

Quote:
Seriously ... if Gio had 15 wins but the lowest BB/9 in the majors, that's what you would be touting.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #246 (permalink)

Honestly if I was pitched a game in the MLB I don't think I would give up many hits and it's not cause I'm good, it is cause I couldn't hit the strike zone. Low baa is a result of high walks.
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #247 (permalink)

You guys have fun arguing with a guy named Gio47, I'm sure his judgement isn't biased or anything lol.
MVPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #248 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPete View Post
You guys have fun arguing with a guy named Gio47, I'm sure his judgement isn't biased or anything lol.
I've already argued with his cousin today...I'll argue with his #1 fan too
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #249 (permalink)

I find it funny how people hate in these forums.. Dickey is a GIMMICK, never done ANYTHING his entire career. All of the sudden he has a good season and he's elite? Same people must also think that Lincecum is a scrub because he's having an off year after having a great CAREER. Same with Cueto, been a bum his whole career, one lucky season with a good team and the best bullpen in the bigs and people think he is somebody. Prove it to me you can do it multiple times, until then I won't respect either of those guys. In the long run Gio will have had a 10x better career than either of those two and if you disagree with that you are down right brain dead. Atleast some of you got it right with Kershaw, kid is a stud and has proven himself, him I have no problem with.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #250 (permalink)

Some people just hate just to hate. You really have to a down right retard to say Gio is not in an elite category and Cueto and Dickey are... Talk to the people that have to face them everyday like I have, nobody wants to see Gio on the mound, nobody is scared of Dickey. All-Star Game this year in KC everybody saluting Gio, look at Dickey buried 4th in the rotation for that game behind Cain, Gio and Stras... and Cueto came in relief in the............. oh wait my bad