Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #251 (permalink)

Like I said I'm done arguing with you guys... Let me know if you need an Autograph or something.. See you in the playoffs Dickey... Whooopppsss
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #252 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
I find it funny how people hate in these forums.. Dickey is a GIMMICK, never done ANYTHING his entire career. All of the sudden he has a good season and he's elite? Same people must also think that Lincecum is a scrub because he's having an off year after having a great CAREER. Same with Cueto, been a bum his whole career, one lucky season with a good team and the best bullpen in the bigs and people think he is somebody. Prove it to me you can do it multiple times, until then I won't respect either of those guys. In the long run Gio will have had a 10x better career than either of those two and if you disagree with that you are down right brain dead. Atleast some of you got it right with Kershaw, kid is a stud and has proven himself, him I have no problem with.
If Cueto has been a bum his entire career, then I guess you feel the same about Gio, considering coming into this season those two players career statistics are virtually identical.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #253 (permalink)

Quote:
Some people just hate just to hate. You really have to a down right retard to say Gio is not in an elite category and Cueto and Dickey are... Talk to the people that have to face them everyday like I have, nobody wants to see Gio on the mound, nobody is scared of Dickey. All-Star Game this year in KC everybody saluting Gio, look at Dickey buried 4th in the rotation for that game behind Cain, Gio and Stras... and Cueto came in relief in the............. oh wait my bad
Not takeing side's on this as it's geting rowdy in here but to be fair to Dickey the one main reason Dickey didn't start is because Posey,or the Giants didn't want to catch for him so that left only Ruiz to catch him .
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #254 (permalink)

Quote:
Like I said I'm done arguing with you guys... Let me know if you need an Autograph or something.. See you in the playoffs Dickey... Whooopppsss
It seems like you are arguing with yourself...... the last 3 posts (before mine) are yours. It doesn't matter what a player has done in his career. IT IS ABOUT THE CURRENT SEASON! Who cares what Dickey has done before this year? He is a candidate and rightfully so.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #255 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
If Cueto has been a bum his entire career, then I guess you feel the same about Gio, considering coming into this season those two players career statistics are virtually identical.

Oh really? I didn't see any season before this that Cueto won 15+ games, pitched 200 innings or had even close to 200 strikeouts. This is gonna be Gio's 3rd full season in the bigs staring in 2010, in none of those has he posted an ERA over 3.23. This is gonna be Cueto's 5th season in which he starts 30 or close to thirty games and only the second time he has his ERA under 3.23.

You must be BLIND to think those two pitchers have similar stats starting off their careers. FULL seasons in the bigs its not even close.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #256 (permalink)

7 so per 9 is very pedestrian, Cy Young voters, like hobbyists prefer dominant strikeout pitchers.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #257 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgbasher View Post
Not takeing side's on this as it's geting rowdy in here but to be fair to Dickey the one main reason Dickey didn't start is because Posey,or the Giants didn't want to catch for him so that left only Ruiz to catch him .

You sure about that? They couldn't get him a bigger glove? They couldn't practice before? Or because they wanted the phenom Cain and Posey to start the all star game. Posey shouldn't have been starting in the game either it should have been Carlos Ruiz but hey La Russa will be La Russa and most of you won't know what I mean by that.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #258 (permalink)

Quote:
You sure about that? They couldn't get him a bigger glove? They couldn't practice before? Or because they wanted the phenom Cain and Posey to start the all star game. Posey shouldn't have been starting in the game either it should have been Carlos Ruiz but hey La Russa will be La Russa and most of you won't know what I mean by that.
You think everyone is racist don't you? I have to be honest ... until earlier today, I have never considered that Cy Young award winners would ever be chosen based on their skin color or heritage. I guess now I'll think about it every time. So, thanks for that.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #259 (permalink)

Quote:
TLR is a jack ass, and anyone who's been following baseball for the last 10-20 years knows that. He's a great manager, but he rubs just about everyone the wrong way. As far as the ASG is concerned there was some players left off (Cueto,Phillips) that should of been there, but I believe some of that was out of his control because the player votes didn't come in for those guys. The whole Cain starting over Dickey thing was a cop out as well, I believe Posey was voted in by all the Giants fans voting a billion times so he just used that as his excuse.
MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #260 (permalink)

Thumbs up

__Player____________IP H R ER BB SO W L WAR WHIP ERA
Johnny Cueto ______ 188.2 171 58 54 41 149 17 7 6.0 1.12 2.58
R.A. Dickey ________ 198.0 158 64 58 45 195 18 4 5.0 1.03 2.64
Clayton Kershaw ____ 199.2 154 67 62 50 201 12 8 4.5 1.02 2.79
Stephen Strasburg __ 156.1 130 57 51 45 195 15 6 3.0 1.12 2.94
Gio Gonzalez _______ 175.1 133 61 58 63 185 18 7 3.7 1.12 2.98

Gio is having a great season, but if the season ended now hes not the CY. With 4-5 starts left anything can happen though. I'd much prefer to see him over Cueto as I think Cueto is trash and having a fluke-ish year. I think Kershaw deserves a little more credit then hes been getting as well. He might not be having the year he had last year but hes still one of the best in the game.
stormshadow815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #261 (permalink)

Career Statistics coming into the 2012 season:

Johnny Cueto: 116 games, 687 IP, 41-37 record, 4 CG, 2 ShO, 3.83 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, SO/BB Ratio 2.29

Gio Gonzalez: 95 games, 535.1 IP, 38-32 record, 1 CG, 0 ShO, 3.93 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, SO/BB Ratio 1.94

Obviously, when considering their careers before this year, Cueto was a bum and Gonzalez was elite. Obviously.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #262 (permalink)

Quote:

Johnny Cueto: 116 games, 687 IP, 41-37 record, 4 CG, 2 ShO, 3.83 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, SO/BB Ratio 2.29

Gio Gonzalez: 95 games, 535.1 IP, 38-32 record, 1 CG, 0 ShO, 3.93 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, SO/BB Ratio 1.94

Obviously, when considering their careers before this year, Cueto was a bum and Gonzalez was elite. Obviously.
The problem is that people want to say "for their careers" and then say "oh, actually I just meant over the last 3 years", or whatever fits their argument.

Cueto is no bum folks. Much like Gonzalez, his numbers are clearly trending towards a very promising career.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #263 (permalink)

Quote:

Say it ain't so!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #264 (permalink)

Quote:

Cueto pitches in a big time hitters park as well. W/e argument people have about his low strikeouts should look at his walks as well. He may not be striking people out as much as the top guys but he's still making the hitters earn it.

This thread went to complete crap with all the homers as well. People need to take their teams hat off once in awhile to have a good conversation.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #265 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah im sure im not takeing side's.As far as everything regarding the all star game it's just a popalarity contest in my eyes .And as far as Ruiz when people vote Phillies they see guy's like Howard and Utley, no surprise that Ruiz didn't start he's not a popular house hold name .
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #266 (permalink)

Greg Maddux didn't strike out a ton either over hi career, guess he sucked.
btimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #267 (permalink)

Quote:
The only thing your completely all-over the place argument proved, was that you are a complete douche. That's nice that Gio's your cousin, and I've been following Gio ever since he was a Phils prospect...but you have successfully made me dislike him now. So congrats! Gio for HOF 2020!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #268 (permalink)

As for the race comments, 25% of the MLB is Hispanic and 6 of the last 26 winners were hispanic ( almost 25%).
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #269 (permalink)

This is probably the only thread anywhere on the internet where 2 guys actually believe Gio Gonzalez is a better pitcher than Justin Verlander. Good times.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #270 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
This is probably the only thread anywhere on the internet where 2 guys actually believe Gio Gonzalez is a better pitcher than Justin Verlander. Good times.
Haha so true. All logic and reason has been thrown out in this thread because one guy is a distant cousin or something.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #271 (permalink)

Funny to get a laugh out of you guys, its all in fun and games. Hope nobody is seriously mad cause I'm not.. You could say Gio is the worst pitcher of all time and I wouldn't care but I will defend him when need be. Should be an interesting race down the stretch, GL!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #272 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPete View Post
Haha so true. All logic and reason has been thrown out in this thread because one guy is a distant cousin or something.
Actually first but I'm sure you know better than I do.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #273 (permalink)

Who is Gio Gonzalez?
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #274 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Who is Gio Gonzalez?
This guy's first cousin.

Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #275 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Who is Gio Gonzalez?
Apparently, the ace of the Nationals staff and the best pitcher in the league...