Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #301 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Let me know what color underwear Gio wears before his next start...if it's my favorite color I'll put big money on the Nats...

Should be black... Put the house on it, Gio is going 8 with 11ks
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #302 (permalink)

You guys should bet with each other!

Seriously, if you're so gung ho for Gio, then don't hedge your bet with Dickey. That is such a stupid offer I don't even know where to start with it. If Dickey wins, you get my money, but what have you actually proved on the Gio front? Anything?

Maybe you need to go back through this thread and re-read everything we've gone over. Swingman, you and I agreed that it's not over yet and that a string of good fortune could give the Cy to any one of a number of guys. I still think Cueto is in the lead and Dickey is not far behind. I think that Kershaw is right up there, and then it's the Gio/Hamels/Cain/Miley crowd.

Are your intentions hear to sound smart or make money? You've already failed on one of those fronts.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #303 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post

Seriously, if you're so gung ho for Gio, then don't hedge your bet with Dickey. That is such a stupid offer I don't even know where to start with it. If Dickey wins, you get my money, but what have you actually proved on the Gio front? Anything?

Maybe you need to go back through this thread and re-read everything we've gone over. Swingman, you and I agreed that it's not over yet and that a string of good fortune could give the Cy to any one of a number of guys. I still think Cueto is in the lead and Dickey is not far behind. I think that Kershaw is right up there, and then it's the Gio/Hamels/Cain/Miley crowd.

Are your intentions hear to sound smart or make money? You've already failed on one of those fronts.

I agree with what you said... There is a lot of ball left, I don't think Cueto is in the lead however. I think it is Dickey's award to lose with Gio in a close second and Cueto third followed by Kershaw. I don't think Miley and Lohse are even being considered from what I am hearing.

Another thing I'd like to point out is how Dickey was supposed to face Gio today in which he complained of arm soreness and is now pitching on tuesday instead of today. I think old Dickey saw what Gio has been doing as of late and wanted no part of him although he has a very pissed of JZ to face who has been lit up as of late.

Like I said, lots of baseball left, hopefully Gio comes through with a stellar performance tonight and Dickey gets rocked by Harp, Beast, Zimm and the boys tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #304 (permalink)

Quote:

If you think Cueto is in the lead and you really don't give Gio a great chance, then why not take those 5 guys and make the wager?

According to you, I am getting the #2 and #4 in Cy Young right now in this wager and you are geting #1, #3, #5 and #6 and the rest of the NL Pitchers. Sounds like a no brainer bet according to your logic.

Last edited by Gio47; 09-10-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Gio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #305 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio47 View Post
If you think Cueto is in the lead and you really don't give Gio a great chance, then why not take those 5 guys and make the wager?
Please re-read:

Quote:
I still think Cueto is in the lead and Dickey is not far behind.
Might as well wager on a coin flip.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #306 (permalink)

Quote:
Please re-read:

Might as well wager on a coin flip.
Regardless you said he's ahead right now and I am giving you Kershaw who you think is #3 as well as the rest of the NL pitchers.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #307 (permalink)

Quote:
Regardless you said he's ahead right now and I am giving you Kershaw who you think is #3 as well as the rest of the NL pitchers.

You are getting 4 of the top 6 in your Cy Young list and I am getting 2.
Thanks, that's very kind of you.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #308 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, that's very kind of you.
It is so let's do it. Or are you afraid to take 4 of the top 6 (including your favorite) in your Cy Young and give me 2 (one of which you probably consider close to dead money in Gio)? Tell me amount and which reputable Blowout user to PayPal the money to.

Last edited by Gio47; 09-10-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #309 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
I agree with what you said... There is a lot of ball left, I don't think Cueto is in the lead however. I think it is Dickey's award to lose with Gio in a close second and Cueto third followed by Kershaw. I don't think Miley and Lohse are even being considered from what I am hearing.

Another thing I'd like to point out is how Dickey was supposed to face Gio today in which he complained of arm soreness and is now pitching on tuesday instead of today. I think old Dickey saw what Gio has been doing as of late and wanted no part of him although he has a very pissed of JZ to face who has been lit up as of late.

Like I said, lots of baseball left, hopefully Gio comes through with a stellar performance tonight and Dickey gets rocked by Harp, Beast, Zimm and the boys tomorrow.
I'm sorry but that is hilarious. Dickey shouldn't care who the opposing pitcher is. If they were facing the Astros tommorow. Maybe.
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #310 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
I'm sorry but that is hilarious. Dickey shouldn't care who the opposing pitcher is. If they were facing the Astros tommorow. Maybe.
It really isn't that crazy a thought though. The only importance left in the season for Dickey is the Cy Young. Staying away from Gio who has thrown 16 straight innings without giving up a run and is extremely good in September the last 3 years seems pretty smart if he wants to give himself the best chance to win the Cy Young.

Last edited by Gio47; 09-10-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #311 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed ...
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #312 (permalink)

Quote:
It is so let's do it. Or are you afraid to take 4 of the top 6 (including your favorite) in your Cy Young and give me 2 (one of which you probably consider close to dead money in Gio)? Tell me amount and which reputable Blowout user to PayPal the money to.
Come on now. If you think it's a two-man race between Dickey and Gio and I think it's a two-man race between Dickey and Cueto, how is it fair if you get your top two choices and I don't get mine? I'd have to kick my own ass if I took that bet.

I said it before and I'll say it again: for someone who's been tooting Gio's horn so much in this race, it's awfully fishy that you come to me with a bet that you hedge with Dickey. If you really wanted to put your money where your mouth is, you'd bet Gio flat out.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #313 (permalink)

Quote:
It really isn't that crazy a thought though. The only importance left in the season for Dickey is the Cy Young. Staying away from Gio who has thrown 16 straight innings without giving up a run and is extremely good in September the last 3 years seems pretty smart if he wants to give himself the best chance to win the Cy Young.
Skip Gio to face Zimmermann? To a lesser extent, that's like skipping Smoltz to face Maddux. There's no point -- just pick your poison.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #314 (permalink)

Quote:
You make the assumption that R.A. Dickey, a man who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro last year, has no competitive spirit whatsoever. Interesting.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to pitch against the other team's best pitcher. My best memories are the games that I won 1-0, 2-1, etc. And I'm not even that competitive.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #315 (permalink)

Quote:

Dickey has nothing to play for... Why face Gio who can out pitch him easily and risk a loss? Dickey could give up 1 run and lose. Now he faces Zimmerman who has not been on top of his game lately instead of facing Gio who is pitching lights out. If that doesn't make sense then I don't know what other way to put it.

JZ is a great pitcher but has had his struggles as of late, I mean he did miss a whole year of baseball, fatigue could be becoming a factor.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #316 (permalink)

Quote:
Please explain how who Dickey faces affects him. They only stat that might change is W-L and cy young voters do not care much about that.
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #317 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
You make the assumption that R.A. Dickey, a man who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro last year, has no competitive spirit whatsoever. Interesting.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to pitch against the other team's best pitcher. My best memories are the games that I won 1-0, 2-1, etc. And I'm not even that competitive.

There is a difference between being competitive and being intelligent. This was a smart move on Dickey's part if you ask me. Hopefully it doesn't backfire for his sake.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #318 (permalink)

Quote:
Please explain how who Dickey faces affects him. They only stat that might change is W-L and cy young voters do not care much about that.

It doesn't hurt to be the league leader in wins to make a push for Cy Young. Winner of Dickey vs. Gio barring there was a decision on both sides would have made one of the two top in the league and that much closer to 20. As much as you don't think it matters, it does.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #319 (permalink)

Quote:
It doesn't hurt to be the league leader in wins to make a push for Cy Young. Winner of Dickey vs. Gio barring there was a decision on both sides would have made one of the two top in the league and that much closer to 20. As much as you don't think it matters, it does.
Reverse the context. Wouldn't Dickey want the opportunity to keep Gio from being the first to 20?

You guys are making a ridiculous assumption here.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #320 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think it matters as much as you think it does...

Here are you American League leaders in wins from 2010:

1. Sabathia (NYY) 21
2. Lester (BOS) 19
Price (TBR) 19
4. Verlander (DET) 18
Cahill (OAK) 18
Hughes (NYY) 18
7. Buchholz (BOS) 17
Pavano (MIN) 17
Santana (LAA) 17
10. Cecil (TOR) 15
Wilson (TEX) 15
Gonzalez (OAK) 15
Danks (CHW) 15
Garza (TBR) 15

Now...from that list, find the Cy Young award winner!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #321 (permalink)

Quote:

1. Sabathia (NYY) 21
2. Lester (BOS) 19
Price (TBR) 19
4. Verlander (DET) 18
Cahill (OAK) 18
Hughes (NYY) 18
7. Buchholz (BOS) 17
Pavano (MIN) 17
Santana (LAA) 17
10. Cecil (TOR) 15
Wilson (TEX) 15
Gonzalez (OAK) 15
Danks (CHW) 15
Garza (TBR) 15

Sort of a cherry-picked example, but even I was fooled. Well done sir.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #322 (permalink)

Quote:
Reverse the context. Wouldn't Dickey want the opportunity to keep Gio from being the first to 20?

You guys are making a ridiculous assumption here.
Well, of course Dickey knows that 25-year-old-rookie-with-two-career-starts Collin McHugh will keep the Nats at bay and keep Gio from securing that ever-important 19th win
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #323 (permalink)

Quote:

1. Sabathia (NYY) 21
2. Lester (BOS) 19
Price (TBR) 19
4. Verlander (DET) 18
Cahill (OAK) 18
Hughes (NYY) 18
7. Buchholz (BOS) 17
Pavano (MIN) 17
Santana (LAA) 17
10. Cecil (TOR) 15
Wilson (TEX) 15
Gonzalez (OAK) 15
Danks (CHW) 15
Garza (TBR) 15

Your referring to AL once again.. Check the last couple of years in the NL, 1st in wins didn't win Cy Young all but 1 time that they gave it to Lincecum and he was 2nd in wins.

18 wins, 5 starts left, if Gio wins 22/23 your crazy to think he doesn't get Cy Young.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #324 (permalink)

Quote:
Sort of a cherry-picked example, but even I was fooled. Well done sir.
Definitely a cherry-picked example, but it was one of the more important Cy Young awards in recent memory because it showed how the voters are so much better than using just the Ws and the Ls. According to baseball-reference.com, Felix led in WAR by a mile that year (OK, it was just 1.4, LOL, but you get the point).
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #325 (permalink)

Quote:
Your referring to AL once again.. Check the last couple of years in the NL, 1st in wins didn't win Cy Young all but 1 time that they gave it to Lincecum and he was 2nd in wins.

18 wins, 5 starts left, if Gio wins 22/23 your crazy to think he doesn't get Cy Young.
Ian Kennedy, last year, 1st in wins, 4th in Cy Young award voting.