Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #576 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
And I maintain again that GIO GONZALEZ WILL NOT WIN THE 2012 CY YOUNG.

Take off your obviously rose-colored glasses, this is just a blatant example of a homer.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #577 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
Ok, obviously this hasn't gotten through to everyone. No voters care what happened last year, 3 years ago, or 12 years ago. The Cy Young vote is about this year, and this year only. Hell, if it WERE about past years (Which it's not), I'd take Dickey because of the storybook season he has had coming out of nowhere, but once again, this is about 2012.

And if I were a betting man, I'd say when/if Gio doesn't win the Cy Young, we don't see these two homers on the boards until Gio gets is first win in 2013.
It's already starting...

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #578 (permalink)

No need to talk smack, I'll be the first to say Gio pitched terrible tonight.. He could have really separated himself from the pack with a good performance but he did not have it tonight. Even with the way he pitched tonight espn commentators saying he will win Cy Young this year. Regardless, bad outing, he needs to dominate in Milwaukee on Saturday to get back to get back on track. Still a two man race.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #579 (permalink)

Braves laid off so many good pitches from Gio, gotta give them credit tonight. Need Dickey to take a bad loss in his next start.

Last edited by Gio47; 09-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Gio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #580 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
No need to talk smack, I'll be the first to say Gio pitched terrible tonight.. He could have really separated himself from the pack with a good performance but he did not have it tonight. Even with the way he pitched tonight espn commentators saying he will win Cy Young this year. Regardless, bad outing, he needs to dominate in Milwaukee on Saturday to get back to get back on track. Still a two man race.
How are yuo so delusional that you think it is a two man race?! Stop being in love with your cousin bro.

Dickey: 30 G, 205 IP, 2.68 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 197 K
Kershaw: 30 G, 206.2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 206 K
Lohse: 30 G, 192 IP, 2.81 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 124 K
Cueto: 30 G, 197 IP, 2.92 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 1157 K
Matt Cain: 29 G, 199.1 IP, 2.93 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 177 K
Gio Gonzalez: 30 G, 186.1 IP, 2.95, 1.14 WHIP, 196 K
Cole Hamels: 28 G, 197.1 IP, 3.06 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 192 K

If it is a two man race, then your boy Gio certainly isn't in it, sorry. Heck, if Hamels goes out and pitches a gem in his next outing, he would be ahead of Gio in every category. lol @ your blindness to the obvious. My voting as of right now:

Dickey
Kershaw
Cain
Gonzalez
Hamels
Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #581 (permalink)

Quote:
How are yuo so delusional that you think it is a two man race?! Stop being in love with your cousin bro.

Dickey: 30 G, 205 IP, 2.68 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 197 K
Kershaw: 30 G, 206.2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 206 K
Lohse: 30 G, 192 IP, 2.81 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 124 K
Cueto: 30 G, 197 IP, 2.92 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 1157 K
Matt Cain: 29 G, 199.1 IP, 2.93 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 177 K
Gio Gonzalez: 30 G, 186.1 IP, 2.95, 1.14 WHIP, 196 K
Cole Hamels: 28 G, 197.1 IP, 3.06 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 192 K

If it is a two man race, then your boy Gio certainly isn't in it, sorry. Heck, if Hamels goes out and pitches a gem in his next outing, he would be ahead of Gio in every category. lol @ your blindness to the obvious. My voting as of right now:

Dickey
Kershaw
Cain
Gonzalez
Hamels

Good thing is your voting doesn't matter at all and neither does mine but because I think it is a two man race like EVERY person on ESPN also does, as a matter a fact they did a weekly poll on whether the public thought Gio would win Cy Young and Gio got 77% of the vote. The poll isn't really that important but the fact that they made one and all of the announcers were saying he deserves it holds some weight. I have been saying all along that Dickey has had the upper hand until recently and with Gio struggling last night they are neck and neck. Dickey has had a hell of a year.

"Your boy" Kershaw is out indefinitely, so you can count him out and Cain and Hamels will not win it. Not to say they might not deserve it but they will not win plain and simple. I see a lot of people taking Kershaw, Cain and Cueto but are scared to back up their pick financially. If you think it is such a wide open race feel free to make a wager like I have been suggesting with others and I will take Dickey and Gio (who I have been saying all along are involved in a two man race) while you can have the field and I will pay you 3 to 1 odds if you win. Mod can hold funds as an escrow as of today if you agree. If that isn't a great wager for a 5 horse race then I don't know what is. I mean, Gio should finish 4th... right?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #582 (permalink)

Quote:
Good thing is your voting doesn't matter at all and neither does mine but because I think it is a two man race like EVERY person on ESPN also does, as a matter a fact they did a weekly poll on whether the public thought Gio would win Cy Young and Gio got 77% of the vote. The poll isn't really that important but the fact that they made one and all of the announcers were saying he deserves it holds some weight. I have been saying all along that Dickey has had the upper hand until recently and with Gio struggling last night they are neck and neck. Dickey has had a hell of a year.

"Your boy" Kershaw is out indefinitely, so you can count him out and Cain and Hamels will not win it. Not to say they might not deserve it but they will not win plain and simple. I see a lot of people taking Kershaw, Cain and Cueto but are scared to back up their pick financially. If you think it is such a wide open race feel free to make a wager like I have been suggesting with others and I will take Dickey and Gio (who I have been saying all along are involved in a two man race) while you can have the field and I will pay you 3 to 1 odds if you win. Mod can hold funds as an escrow as of today if you agree. If that isn't a great wager for a 5 horse race then I don't know what is. I mean, Gio should finish 4th... right?
Guys, enough with the betting already...I think what happened to Clayton is a great example of why these kinds of bets are so dumb. Also, if anyone can prove they knew Cueto would give up 14 runs in 15.1 innings of September ball three weeks ago, please fill me in because I could definitely find some usefulness in that source.

I'm just trying to call it as I see it. No one has been awarded the "kiss of death" yet. If nothing else, I would say Johnny is in the worst shape out of the bunch because he is so clearly trending downward (his ERA was 2.44 on August 18th!). Just because ESPN's CYA graphic didn't include Hamels, Cain or Lohse doesn't mean they're off the radar. Notice two out of the five guys they plugged (Gio and Kimbrel) were playing in last night's game...just saying.

You start to get the feeling that the stars are aligning for Dickey. His main competition in Kershaw just went down. Cueto has been catastrophic and Gio failed to make a big move last night. R.A. still has 4 more starts to solidify his case (or 4 more starts to f*** things up!), but even if he can just tread water, I think he probably takes it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #583 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Guys, enough with the betting already...I think what happened to Clayton is a great example of why these kinds of bets are so dumb. Also, if anyone can prove they knew Cueto would give up 14 runs in 15.1 innings of September ball three weeks ago, please fill me in because I could definitely find some usefulness in that source.

I'm just trying to call it as I see it. No one has been awarded the "kiss of death" yet. If nothing else, I would say Johnny is in the worst shape out of the bunch because he is so clearly trending downward (his ERA was 2.44 on August 18th!). Just because ESPN's CYA graphic didn't include Hamels, Cain or Lohse doesn't mean they're off the radar. Notice two out of the five guys they plugged (Gio and Kimbrel) were playing in last night's game...just saying.

You start to get the feeling that the stars are aligning for Dickey. His main competition in Kershaw just went down. Cueto has been catastrophic and Gio failed to make a big move last night. R.A. still has 4 more starts to solidify his case (or 4 more starts to f*** things up!), but even if he can just tread water, I think he probably takes it.

Sad but I think so too. If he pitches decent baseball from here on out I think he has it in the bag also. Gio's next two out of three starts will be against the Phillies, one of the hottest teams in baseball (before this past weekend where they faced the almighty Astros LOL) so we'll see how he fairs out. I think Gio needs to throw 3 games giving up 2-3 runs max in that span which is definitely not impossible but will be tough even though I expect Davey Johnson to limit his innings a bit heading into the playoffs.

Dickey has 4 starts left, one tonight vs the Phillies who hopefully will hit him hard and then he has the the Pirates and the Marlins twice so we'll see. Anyhow I think it will be a good race to the finish and has been fun to watch all season. Can't wait for the playoffs!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #584 (permalink)

LOL @ Kershaw finishing the season early and still going to finnish having more innings than Gio
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #585 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
LOL @ Kershaw finishing the season early and still going to finnish having more innings than Gio

What is the purpose of this comment? Are you at Dodgers fan? Oh wait never mind, look at your username..... "LOL @" the Mets being 23 games behind the Nationals in the standings and your season being cut short because your team sucks. Now your a Dodgers/Kershaw fan boy that the Mets are going no where? Cy Young or not Nationals have a chance to win the World Series this year and they are going to be riding Gio the whole way through the playoffs just like they have ALL season. Don't be a hater man its not good for your health.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #586 (permalink)

Quote:

I agree Kershaw won't win it, but I think even right now, he deserves it more than Gio. He pitched better throughout the year, plain and simple. You can't give an argument otherwise.

I also like how you don't give a reason why Cain or Hamels are so far behind Gio right now. It's basically biased ignorance really.

You want me to put my money where my mouth is? YOU do it. You take Gio, I will take the field. Since you are so amazingly confident, you get 1:1.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #587 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree Kershaw won't win it, but I think even right now, he deserves it more than Gio. He pitched better throughout the year, plain and simple. You can't give an argument otherwise.

I also like how you don't give a reason why Cain or Hamels are so far behind Gio right now. It's basically biased ignorance really.

You want me to put my money where my mouth is? YOU do it. You take Gio, I will take the field. Since you are so amazingly confident, you get 1:1.

Now that would no be a smart bet on part because I have said countless times Dickey is neck and neck with him. What I will bet YOU is that he will finish ahead of your candidates in Kershaw, Cain and Hamels since you think they are so far ahead and deserve it more than him.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #588 (permalink)

Quote:
Now that would no be a smart bet on part because I have said countless times Dickey is neck and neck with him. What I will bet YOU is that he will finish ahead of your candidates in Kershaw, Cain and Hamels since you think they are so far ahead and deserve it more than him.
So therefore you think it is 50/50 that Gio will win the Cy Young. 1:1 put your money where your mouth is.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #589 (permalink)

Quote:
So therefore you think it is 50/50 that Gio will win the Cy Young. 1:1 put your money where your mouth is.

You are taking the field of several players who could win the award. Whether what I think is reasonable or not, why would I take a 1:1 bet of something where my guy is not the favorite and you have a field of players who can win the award? I don't know what kind of suckers you get into gambling with you but I am sure not one of them pal.

You are the one saying your putting Cain, Hamels, Kershaw etc ahead of Gio, I am responding to you saying he will finish on top of all three of those players and I will put whatever kind of wager you want on that.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #590 (permalink)

Plain and simple. You said it was a two man race. I am offering you your guy in this "two man" race at even odds. Seems that you should think that is a neutral wager, yet you decline it. Please don't make any other offers of bets to anyone until you can put your money where your mouth and accept my bet, because you clearly aren't serious about it.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #591 (permalink)

I deserve an award for starting this thread
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #592 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSeiberlich View Post
I deserve an award for starting this thread
This is one of the good ones, for sure...we've got a little ways to go to reach this little dandy from a few weeks ago: Weird group break calculations - did something change?

Dickey's performance tonight should provide enough fodder to get us over the 625-post count or so. When's voting again, November?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #593 (permalink)

Quote:
Plain and simple. You said it was a two man race. I am offering you your guy in this "two man" race at even odds. Seems that you should think that is a neutral wager, yet you decline it. Please don't make any other offers of bets to anyone until you can put your money where your mouth and accept my bet, because you clearly aren't serious about it.
You are taking a field of players. No one or even two. Yes I am saying it is a two horse race, if you were taking ONE horse vs ONE horse then the odds would be 1:1. You are asking for a field of players and have said countless times that Cain, Hamels and Kershaw would finish ahead of Gio. When your ready to put a wager that they will finish ahead of Gio I will make the wager with you of who wins the actual award.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #594 (permalink)

Quote:
You are taking a field of players. No one or even two. Yes I am saying it is a two horse race, if you were taking ONE horse vs ONE horse then the odds would be 1:1. You are asking for a field of players and have said countless times that Cain, Hamels and Kershaw would finish ahead of Gio. When your ready to put a wager that they will finish ahead of Gio I will make the wager with you of who wins the actual award.
Fine, then do Dickey vs Gio. House takes it if anyone else wins. I'll hold the money.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #595 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think gio counts as a horse, maybe a pony.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #596 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Fine, then do Dickey vs Gio. House takes it if anyone else wins. I'll hold the money.

I am saying Dickey has a chance to win, lol he is saying that the other three guys will finish in front that is why I brought up a wager. Dickey has a chance to win that is something I wouldn't bet against. Cain, Hamels, Kershaw will not finish ahead of Gio, that I will wager on. Now all of the sudden he wants to do something different because he realizes he is wrong.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #597 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSeiberlich View Post
I don't think gio counts as a horse, maybe a pony.

Right....... I see your a Twins fan, I'm sure you guys have a lot of "horses" on your team huh? I don't know why you waste your time with you irrelevant comments. Go hate on someone else you joke.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #598 (permalink)

Quote:
Right....... I see your a Twins fan, I'm sure you guys have a lot of "horses" on your team huh? I don't know why you waste your time with you irrelevant comments. Go hate on someone else you joke.
When did we ever mention anything about twins pitchers or when did I ever say we had a horse? Mentioning the twins pitching staff was more irrelevant than anything I said...you joke

Last edited by ChaseSeib; 09-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.
ChaseSeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #599 (permalink)

Quote:
I am saying Dickey has a chance to win, lol he is saying that the other three guys will finish in front that is why I brought up a wager. Dickey has a chance to win that is something I wouldn't bet against. Cain, Hamels, Kershaw will not finish ahead of Gio, that I will wager on. Now all of the sudden he wants to do something different because he realizes he is wrong.
Not at all. I realize you are likely not going to comprehend this, because you have yet to show you can comprehend basic logic, but I will try anyways. You said it was a two-man race between Dickey and Gio. Therefore, it follows that naturally you think one of those two will win it. So taking the field versus Gio doesn't really amount to much, now does it? Well, it shouldn't, because you think it is between two pitchers only. Therefore, it is 50/50 that the Cy Young goes to Gio in your eyes. Hence why you get 1:1. You think it is because that I now think I am wrong; not true in the slightest actually. But if I can hedge my bet base don things you have said, then why would I not try and give myself more of an edge in a wager? That's common sense bud.

The offer stands as I proposed it; if you decline it, then say so and shut up about it already. We all know you won't take it because deep down you know that Gio will not win it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #600 (permalink)

I think we can all agree that the gio groupies are the biggest jokes on BO