Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Run support doesn't matter unless you're using the horrible "Wins" metric to try and determine how good a pitcher is. Which you shouldn't be. So run support doesn't matter.
Man this guy
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
That would be awesome. I think Burnett is having an outstanding year.


Apparently we still have people that can't get over the fact there team sucks and doesn't deserve an award for not being great. You shouldn't win awards for being good on a #@#@#@#@ team.
Keep getting all your baseball news form Baseball Tonight and John Kruk buddy. It seems to be working out really well for you.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Man this guy
Wins are dumb. Again, you're making a player responsible for the success or failure of his teammates, of which he has no control.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Keep getting all your baseball news form Baseball Tonight and John Kruk buddy. It seems to be working out really well for you.
I'm sorry your team has been playing like S*** this year. Its not our fault man. Dickey is having a good season and is impressing a lot of people. However no matter how you put it he just doesnt deserve the award.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
katieneack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 53
Default

Cueto is pitching in one of the best (if not the best) hitters parks in the entire league. Dickey is pitching in a pitchers park. Yet his ERA is still almost half a run lower. Dickey has had a great year,and things could change, but Cueto has to be the leader right now.
__________________
Barry Larkin Collector!!
Always Looking to Buy any Barry Larkins I don't have
Currently Have: 2,642/3,557 Beckett Listings (74.3%)
Without 1/1's: 2,624/3,195 Beckett Listing (82.1%)
katieneack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Run support doesn't matter unless you're using the horrible "Wins" metric to try and determine how good a pitcher is. Which you shouldn't be. So run support doesn't matter.
Actually run support does matter if the two players other numbers are similar which in this case they are.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Wins are dumb. Again, you're making a player responsible for the success or failure of his teammates, of which he has no control.
Never said wins were a good stat? lol there ya go assuming things.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Actually run support does matter if the two players other numbers are similar which in this case they are.
Only if you're making your decisions based upon bad metrics.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nazareth, PA
Posts: 982
Default

Did everybody forget about Cole Hamels?

14 Wins, 2.94 ERA, 171.1 IP, 168 Ks, .235 AVG, 1.11 WHIP

All in 24 Games compared to Cueto and Dickeys 25
__________________
Bucket
http://s364.photobucket.com/home/maffman15/index
maffman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Metsfan1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: long island
Posts: 3,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
How can you be considered a valuable player when you can't help your team to the playoffs. That is a very strong argument and is used by most voters unless the play has an unbelievable season. (Which Dickey is having a very good season but not unbelievable.)
Only 3 of the last 10 cy young winners have made the playoffs the year they won.
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Only if you're making your decisions based upon bad metrics.
No, only in your mind since it doesn't favor your choice.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Also, for all the GABP vs. Citi arguments; WAR is park neutral.

Cueto pitching in GABP is probably the reason he is ahead in WAR right now, and he should get credit for that.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
No, only in your mind since it doesn't favor your choice.
The only thing run support affects are wins. Wins are not a good metric of how good a season a pitcher is having. This is pretty widely accepted, even upon "non-stats" folks.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Okay.

Dickey: 15-4 2.89 ERA, 16HRs Allowed, 1.04 WHIP Team is 57-63 17 GB First Place (Pitchers ballpark)
Cueto: 16-6 2.44 ERA, 9HRs Allowed, 1.13 WHIP Team is 73-48 First Place (Hitters Ballpark)

I'll take Cueto all day.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
btimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
That would be awesome. I think Burnett is having an outstanding year.


Apparently we still have people that can't get over the fact there team sucks and doesn't deserve an award for not being great. You shouldn't win awards for being good on a #@#@#@#@ team.
After reading your posts, I feel as if I lose at least a little of my intelligence.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
katieneack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Okay.

Dickey: 15-4 2.89 ERA, 16HRs Allowed, 1.04 WHIP Team is 57-63 17 GB First Place (Pitchers ballpark)
Cueto: 16-6 2.44 ERA, 9HRs Allowed, 1.13 WHIP Team is 73-48 First Place (Hitters Ballpark)

I'll take Cueto all day.
That's hard to argue against if you are being objective.
__________________
Barry Larkin Collector!!
Always Looking to Buy any Barry Larkins I don't have
Currently Have: 2,642/3,557 Beckett Listings (74.3%)
Without 1/1's: 2,624/3,195 Beckett Listing (82.1%)
katieneack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Okay.

Dickey: 15-4 2.89 ERA, 16HRs Allowed, 1.04 WHIP Team is 57-63 17 GB First Place (Pitchers ballpark)
Cueto: 16-6 2.44 ERA, 9HRs Allowed, 1.13 WHIP Team is 73-48 First Place (Hitters Ballpark)

I'll take Cueto all day.
I don't have any fault with your argument, it's how you're making it.

Dickey: 2.89ERA, 3.09 xFIP, 4.3 WAR, 9.36 K/9, 2.03 BB/9
Cueto: 2.44ERA, 3.63 xFIP, 3.9 WAR, 7.16 K/9, 1.96 BB/9

They're having very close seasons. Right now objectively I'd give a slight edge to Cueto, although again, it's very close.

And it has nothing to do with how good their teammates are, or how likely they are to make the playoffs.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
The only thing run support affects are wins. Wins are not a good metric of how good a season a pitcher is having. This is pretty widely accepted, even upon "non-stats" folks.
Nobody said that wins are, however when players' more meaningful stats like era, whip and baa are so similar run support is a big factor. We're not talking Jamie Moyer winning 15 games with a 5+ era while getting 7.5 runs a game in support here.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Did you look at Dickeys Home/Away Stats?

Home: ERA 2.66 Avg. .201 slg. .334
Away: ERA 3.10 AVG. .235 Slg .384

Dickey gets plenty of home help by that ballpark.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Nobody said that wins are, however when players' more meaningful stats like era, whip and baa are so similar run support is a big factor. We're not talking Jamie Moyer winning 15 games with a 5+ era while getting 7.5 runs a game in support here.
There are plenty of other meaningful stats to long at, that don't rely on things like run support, how good your teammates are, etc.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
As i made a thread before on this it will be:
Johnny Cueto or Aroldis Chapman. People thinking Dickey are waaayyyy off. Numbers arent close to Cueto
Yes he does.

Dickey: 168.1 IP, 2.89 ERA, 3.05 FIP, 3.09 xFIP, 3.17 tERA, 2.99 SIERA, 9.36 K/9, 2.03 BB/9, 3.9 fWAR.

Johnny Cueto: 169.2, 2.44 ERA, 3.04 FIP, 3.63 xFIP, 3.72 tERA, 3.60 SIERA, 7.16 K/9, 1.96 BB/9, 4.3 fWAR.

I typically like a mix, including SIERA because of how it's calculated, but even if you don't it's a one good game/one bad game swing and there's an inefficiency in measuring knuckleballers properly.
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
Current Non-Sports FS Thread including Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy and more! http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/786317-updated-fs-thread-sons-anarchy-walking-dead-game-thrones-breaking-bad-etc.html
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
I don't have any fault with your argument, it's how you're making it.

Dickey: 2.89ERA, 3.09 xFIP, 4.3 WAR, 9.36 K/9, 2.03 BB/9
Cueto: 2.44ERA, 3.63 xFIP, 3.9 WAR, 7.16 K/9, 1.96 BB/9

They're having very close seasons. Right now objectively I'd give a slight edge to Cueto, although again, it's very close.

And it has nothing to do with how good their teammates are, or how likely they are to make the playoffs.
Wait so you say Cueto has an edge? Why are you even arguing then if your arguing and agreeing...
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Did you look at Dickeys Home/Away Stats?

Home: ERA 2.66 Avg. .201 slg. .334
Away: ERA 3.10 AVG. .235 Slg .384

Dickey gets plenty of home help by that ballpark.
Again, WAR is park neutral. If you don't know what that means, please go read about it. It shows Cueto has the slight edge in value right now, which is what I've been saying. Another reason to use advanced sabrmetrics instead of stats like wins, and even worse your team's record.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Metsfan1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: long island
Posts: 3,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Nobody said that wins are, however when players' more meaningful stats like era, whip and baa are so similar run support is a big factor. We're not talking Jamie Moyer winning 15 games with a 5+ era while getting 7.5 runs a game in support here.
Please explain.
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Again, WAR is park neutral. If you don't know what that means, please go read about it. It shows Cueto has the slight edge in value right now, which is what I've been saying. Another reason to use advanced sabrmetrics instead of stats like wins, and even worse your team's record.
I know what WAR is buddy. And yes its 3.9 to 4.3 Cueto leading. So by that you are agreeing with everyone you've been arguing against. Wow smh
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.