Blowout Cards Forums
Save big on officially licensed NFL fan merchandise at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA
Default Weird group break calculations - did something change?

So, i've been scouring the site looking for a group break to jump into and have noticed some weird numbers from some of the group break threads.

its been a while so if something has changed, feel free to correct me, but I thought the breakers weren't "allowed" to make an exorbitant profit from these breaks. This was the reason why they had to be moderated in the first place.

but it looks like from some calculations, the system is failing at the members' cost.

ran some numbers and for one particular break it looks like one breaker will make about 1k on the break! wow!

I know the breaker should get "paid" for their time, but 1k? Seriously?

what happened?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

You probably made a mistake, either with looking at the cost of the product, spots, or not including fees/shipping/supplies, or something else.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
You probably made a mistake, either with looking at the cost of the product, spots, or not including fees/shipping/supplies, or something else.
Nope, his numbers are legit. I ran the numbers on the break he is talking about as well as a couple of others run by the same person and he is averaging between 700-1000 per break in profit.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Someone made this observation earlier when they misread the group break as being only 1 case and it was actually 2 cases so it looked like the breaker was making $900+ profit.

The calculations are pretty straight forward and posted in all the break threads, I think everyone knows what their money is going toward when they enter.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

possible that it's a multiple case break and you were only accounting for one case?

Other than that the only thing I can think of is in the breaks with ~400-500 slots where actual shipping tends to be less than the total paid but even 1k would surprise me on that front.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfatty View Post
possible that it's a multiple case break and you were only accounting for one case?

Other than that the only thing I can think of is in the breaks with ~400-500 slots where actual shipping tends to be less than the total paid but even 1k would surprise me on that front.
possible I made a mistake. im going to run the numbers again to see what I come up with...

UPS hit me up with your numbers so I can compare.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsbroker06 View Post
Nope, his numbers are legit. I ran the numbers on the break he is talking about as well as a couple of others run by the same person and he is averaging between 700-1000 per break in profit.
Can you PM me the link?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsbroker06 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the calculations as well - not that I care if breakers make profit but I am just curious what all was taken into account, for example multiple slots for same person combines shipping costs, and how those adjustments were made.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is the one you are referring to the one charging $1 per slot for supplies alone? I saw that one earlier and thought the math was way off. Almost $300 in supplies for a GB? Hahaha
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
possible I made a mistake. im going to run the numbers again to see what I come up with...

I just pmed you my calculations.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow...who approved that?

That alone is a gigantic red flag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Is the one you are referring to the one charging $1 per slot for supplies alone? I saw that one earlier and thought the math was way off. Almost $300 in supplies for a GB? Hahaha
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

Say it ain't so???!!!! j/k!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Supplies consist of: toploaders, penny sleeves, team bags, bubble mailers, tap, shipping labels, and ink (that everything off the top of my head). You also need to have more supplies than you really need in a break. You can get pretty close on what size top loaders and such but can you never get exact because you dont know what size cards are going to come out. Same with bags and sleeves, you have to get more than you need for the break.

Also, the supplies is really the only spot where you can put your "profit." Either way, the calculations are there so if you think the host is too high you dont have to join.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
Supplies consist of: toploaders, penny sleeves, team bags, bubble mailers, tap, shipping labels, and ink (that everything off the top of my head). You also need to have more supplies than you really need in a break. You can get pretty close on what size top loaders and such but can you never get exact because you dont know what size cards are going to come out. Same with bags and sleeves, you have to get more than you need for the break.

Also, the supplies is really the only spot where you can put your "profit." Either way, the calculations are there so if you think the host is too high you dont have to join.
but i dont have to stand by and let something go unnoticed either.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
but i dont have to stand by and let something go unnoticed either.
I would say that you should post the break you are talking about the tell us what you think it should be.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I would say that you should post the break you are talking about the tell us what you think it should be.
Agreed. There are a lot of group break participants and I think we should know.
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ruh roh CBO I think that you offended somebody.

Quote:
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I am sure most know who this person is but his nut huggers will come running to his defense.

Bunch of blind sheeple running to his breaks. The $1 per slot on supplies is an absolute joke!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Ruh roh CBO I think that you offended somebody.
Lol, I'm soooooo offended. I just think this conversation would be easier with an example and his opinion on how to fix it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

JohanSantana started these types of breaks and it was found that he was making thousands off these breaks.. This guy is too.. I have check my numbers with CBo and on the very very LOW end he is making $700 per break.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest." - E. Wiesel
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
ok. you pulled my chain hard enough.

I was looking at a few breaks but one stood out. lets look at the bowman chrome break.

His cost $8600/269 =$8600

He will be able to ship these in a bubble mailer 1st class mail for around $2.75 per player if everybody only got one slot but most get atleast two so he will use a small flat rate which is $5. Lets just say he has 60 people in this break he normally gets between 50 to 60 on any given draft break..

we will say average cost to ship is $4x60= $240

Now where the numbers get whacky. each slot is $1 per slot for supplies...
that is an extra $269 for him to pocket as there is no way in high hell he pays even close to that amount. If you have been in the breaker's breaks, all he uses is team bags to ship these cards with the larger hits in tops loaders and soft sleeves. so once again we will figure out his cost..

3 graded team bags of 100 count= $9
4 packs of top loaders 100= $8
4 pack of soft sleeves 400= $4
actual cost $21

so now we have a general idea of how much he makes if he over pays for supplies and shipping as I am sure pp shipping is cheaper..

His costs = $8,861

Now lets just say his average price per slot is $37 per slot with the discount for the extras...
269x37= $9,953

That leaves you just under $1,100 right there on one break..

but those are just rough calculations.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

I need to read through the calculations, but I know some members make money by buying BO credit from individuals at a reduced cost and using that, not that that's really unfair because at the end of the day they're supplying the product at the correct price and they do do a ton of work. I'll read through the calculations you posted though. Did you mention fees? Reading through it now.

Last edited by xbignick; 08-20-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Very interesting--thanks for posting your calculations
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm. what are the paypal fees?