Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default New PC = New Pickups

I am really unsure what caused me to do this, but a few days ago I was thinking about WHY I collected what I collected (Carlos Santana and Clayton Kershaw primarily). I am an Indians fan and writer in my spare time, so the Santana aspect made sense. I also really liked Clayton Kershaw, and think he has the chance to have a Hall of Fame career; however, once I said "Hall of Fame" in my head, I sort of started thinking...Why collect these guys? I should be collecting the guys who will last.

With that being said, I sort of turned my collection over in 4 days. Sold every Kershaw autograph I had, as well as most of my Santana stuff (My 2012 Museum Collection rainbow can still be had for 40 OBO if you like haha!). I wanted to collect who mattered in the course of baseball history.

So, where do I start might you ask? Well, I decided to go for some of the Topps Sterling autos /10. I chose this product because of the high # of Hall of Famers who signed for it, as well as the cool look of the cards. I plan on picking up as many Hall of Famers as possible in the coming weeks/months, but here are 3 that I have picked up so far:

Joe Morgan

New PC = New Pickups-img120.jpg

Bob Gibson

New PC = New Pickups-img121.jpg

Whitey Ford

New PC = New Pickups-img122.jpg

If anyone has any HOF autos /10 from this set and would like to trade/sell, please let me know, as I will probably be very interested. I will update as I get a few more in. Thanks for looking, and I hope you find these as cool as I do!
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sweet! Good luck with the new interest!

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Those are some gorgeous looking autos. Excellent product to chase as well.
Good luck with your new collection!
LINK FOR THAT IS TO THE LEFT and UNDER MY AVATAR
TakaTanakaGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good start to a great idea for a PC! I always liked the look of Sterling. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also collect 99.9 percent hall of fame stuff
cooldude1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosdesserts View Post
Sweet! Good luck with the new interest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaTanakaGiant View Post
Those are some gorgeous looking autos. Excellent product to chase as well.
Good luck with your new collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eposk23 View Post
Good start to a great idea for a PC! I always liked the look of Sterling. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I have always liked the look of Topps Sterling for some reason. I also like the vintage pinstripes of the Ford jersey, as well as the old feel of the Gibson. Pretty good cards to start with in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1245 View Post
I also collect 99.9 percent hall of fame stuff
I think its interesting that Bryce Harper autos are worth more than autos of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, etc. Why people feel the need to pay hand over fist for those guys (who by the time its all said and done will have MILLIONS of autographs in all of topps products) is something I dont understand.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
Thanks guys. I have always liked the look of Topps Sterling for some reason. I also like the vintage pinstripes of the Ford jersey, as well as the old feel of the Gibson. Pretty good cards to start with in my opinion

I think its interesting that Bryce Harper autos are worth more than autos of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, etc. Why people feel the need to pay hand over fist for those guys (who by the time its all said and done will have MILLIONS of autographs in all of topps products) is something I dont understand.
God bless! Finally someone who doesn't spend 4000 dollars for a superfractor of a so called (prospect) who will most likely have a ok career while one in four hundred big prospects will ever get close to the hall. Also, there are so many versions of each prospect they will be worth nothing soon. I could get 3 sandy Koufax signed balls for that 4000!
cooldude1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1245 View Post
God bless! Finally someone who doesn't spend 4000 dollars for a superfractor of a so called (prospect) who will most likely have a ok career while one in four hundred big prospects will ever get close to the hall. Also, there are so many versions of each prospect they will be worth nothing soon. I could get 3 sandy Koufax signed balls for that 4000!
I would love to pickup a Koufax soon! He was not in Topps Sterling, as Topps did not bring him on to sign until 2011 I believe, so I will have to resort to 2012 Museum Collection or Tribute.

Yeah, I do buy prospect stuff from time to time (I collect Tyler Naquin, the 2012 Indians first round pick), but I think you need to collect items that will LAST a lifetime.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

i love that gibson.... do u mind me asking how much it costed you?
chiefsncards275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good choice and good luck
$100box$20cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Default Round 2

Just thought I would update with a couple new pieces. I decided to not limit myself to just one product or company. Whenever possible, I hope to pick up patch autographs of HOF's. Although the Musial is not a patch auto, I thought the card and price was too good to pass up. I will update again in a couple days; I have a Fisk on its way, and maybe a Bench or Jim Palmer too.

Tony Gwynn - 2012 Topps Tier One patch auto

New PC = New Pickups-img162.jpg

Stan Musial- 2010 Topps National Chicle Auto

New PC = New Pickups-img163.jpg

Thanks for looking guys
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Default Carlton Fisk has arrived...

I really like the look of the Topps Museum Collection as well, and this Fisk patch auto caught my eye. I love the red and blue in the right window, and the autograph of his for this card is super clean.

New PC = New Pickups-img164.jpg
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I really like the look of the Topps Museum Collection as well, and this Fisk patch auto caught my eye. I love the red and blue in the right window, and the autograph of his for this card is super clean.

Attachment 102808
Beautiful card...wrong team!
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
Beautiful card...wrong team!
bahahaha, I keep forgetting youre a sox fan, my fault
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hmmm.... now you got me thinking about my Cueto collection. Not that I think he is Hall worthy, but I'm wondering if I should unload especially since he is having a Cy Young year and start refocusing my collection.
mikecamp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecamp99 View Post
Hmmm.... now you got me thinking about my Cueto collection. Not that I think he is Hall worthy, but I'm wondering if I should unload especially since he is having a Cy Young year and start refocusing my collection.
I mean, everyone has their own guy they collect you know? If it makes you feel any better I still have my David Price auto nameplate (P-R-I-C-E) from 2009 Topps Finest. I am tempted to sell now too since he is having a heck of a year, but it took me a while to build that set so I would like to keep it together.

I guess it just sort of hit me one day- Guys here mainly collect prospects in order to flip for high profits...no one is really looking to collect Bryce Harper stuff for the next 10-20 years. It should be about guys who have had great careers who are already in the hall, you know?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
XL5

2011 Marquee had some great HOF autos.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
2011 Marquee had some great HOF autos.

Are you trying to tempt me here or what? hahaha. very nice. Always wanted one of those!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Great cards!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Are you trying to tempt me here or what? hahaha. very nice. Always wanted one of those!
Nah, it's PC'd right now. But if you ever have a shot at one, they're really nice. There's a Koufax on eBay right now.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Nah, it's PC'd right now. But if you ever have a shot at one, they're really nice. There's a Koufax on eBay right now.
Yeah, I just saw the Koufax one on ebay now. The guy wants an arm, leg, and testicle for it. Hmm.....