Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriontj View Post
My 2 cents...

I believe the card is real...
Thanks buddy! Glad you agree with me! Couldn't wait to show you this card! Thanks for checking it out!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #52 (permalink)

I would say this card is most likely real. I personally pulled a card somewhat similar. It can be viewed on the following link:

2009 TOPPS STERLING 5-BOX BREAK & 2009 ULTIMATE BASEBALL, STUPENDOUS MOJO!!! (BREAK 1 OF 3) - YouTube

Just skip to the 0:39 second mark.

Was really happy, I ending up getting over $800 for it on the Bay.

Also I used to know a Griffey Collector who had a few of those that you have (very similar patches), and many others that have INSANE patches. Overall I think your card is definitely 100% authentic.
Cisco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco69 View Post
I would say this card is most likely real. I personally pulled a card somewhat similar. It can be viewed on the following link:

2009 TOPPS STERLING 5-BOX BREAK & 2009 ULTIMATE BASEBALL, STUPENDOUS MOJO!!! (BREAK 1 OF 3) - YouTube

Just skip to the 0:39 second mark.

Was really happy, I ending up getting over $800 for it on the Bay.

Also I used to know a Griffey Collector who had a few of those that you have (very similar patches), and many others that have INSANE patches. Overall I think your card is definitely 100% authentic.
Thanks! I remember you pulling some sick Griffey patches similar to mine so we both know that UD came out with patches like these! Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpm2780 View Post
I don't have the card in hand yet but I'm still sticking with my guns that this card is the real deal. I have seen several other Griffey cards from this set that have logo patch pieces in it and know that UD used a lot of these sick types of patches in this product so I'm still very confident that its real. I wish that you guys would feel the same! Thanks!
Yes your right many others out there.

They are ALSO fake.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #55 (permalink)

I'm not going to say if it's real or fake because I don't know. But even if it is 100% real $1,000 seems a bit steep, doesn't it?
pootshwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Yes your right many others out there.

They are ALSO fake.
I have never seen any others from this set being faked. Just some from the Jumbo patch /35 set but those seem to be a lot easier to fake. I'm sure this one is the real deal and there would be signs of faking i'm sure. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post
I'm not going to say if it's real or fake because I don't know. But even if it is 100% real $1,000 seems a bit steep, doesn't it?
Yeah, it was more than I wanted to spend but I didn't want to let this card go and I have been wanting a card like this for my PC for a long time. Should be worth more in the future after Griffey gets into the HOF hopefully! Either way it was worth it to me and that's all that matters in the end! Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #57 (permalink)

I'm going to show this thread to a HUGE Griffey Collector and see what he says....
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
I have never seen any others from this set being faked. Just some from the Jumbo patch /35 set but those seem to be a lot easier to fake. I'm sure this one is the real deal and there would be signs of faking i'm sure. Thanks!

Yeah, it was more than I wanted to spend but I didn't want to let this card go and I have been wanting a card like this for my PC for a long time. Should be worth more in the future after Griffey gets into the HOF hopefully! Either way it was worth it to me and that's all that matters in the end! Thanks!
Stick to Silver coins bro
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Stick to Silver coins bro
That's my other hobby also, funny you mention that! I like both hobbies and that's why I have spent money on both for the enjoyment of each one. There is nothing wrong with sportscard collecting as I have been doing this since I was little. I'll never stop enjoying it. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #60 (permalink)

Arrow My thoughts...........

I don't know if you know who I am, prob not and no reason to, I'm not special but I do have one of the biggest Griffey Jr. collections around - I hear yours is also stellar. Anyway, I bid a few hundred on that same card in a whim but was assured by multiple sources it was NOT authentic. One individual said he saw the identical card pre-altering. I truly, REALLY hope its real because its beautiful and I know that set definitely has similar cards, not quite on that level but definitely similar. I realllllllllllllllllly hope you got a deal on an amazing centerpiece - just wanted to pass on what I was warned about...I was warned because hundreds of people know I'm a Griffey Supercollector and reached out to me BEFORE I bought it to let me know the truth before I got screwed.

If for whatever reason you are saying, "go screw yourself whoever you are thundering24" - I get it, I understand, I'm not hating but my collection speaks for itself...here is about 1/3 of it if you need some confirmation of my Griffey Collection and knowledge on his cards in general. I'm no "NOOB' I just usually don't post on this forum.

www.photobucket.com/kengriffeyjr

Again, I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the card, hope its real and shown off properly in your PC!!!

-Chad
Thundering24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #61 (permalink)

I have the Ripken 8/8 from that set and its even more impressive. If Vinnycards is the old man Vinny from the Ny vicinity shows that guy has some really nice stuff all the time. I think the Griffey card can be legit. Many of those patches in that set were extremely nice being the last baseball product they loaded it up. I have seen some very nice card from breaks and pulled in person. It sucks to have to debate the fact. For me I say legit. Those are not the easily faked patches out of /35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
I have witnessed crazy logo patches from that same set (of cal ripken jr) being pulled, so it is possible. here are examples I found (although neither of these is the card I saw pulled, they are very similar)...

edit: the above picture links are quirky, here are the worthpoint listings just in case they show up as broken links

2009 ULTIMATE CAL RIPKEN JR TRIPLE LOGO PATCH AUTO 1 (06/29/2011)...
CAL RIPKEN JR. 09 ULTIMATE COLLECTION AUTO PATCH # 2 (02/15/2011)...

Last edited by jcmint; 08-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.
jcmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #62 (permalink)

with stuff like this happening all the time with the fake patches I am done buying patches. certified autos and rc's are it for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Last edited by luck15hope; 12-31-2012 at 03:44 AM.
luck15hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #64 (permalink)

As long as the owner is happy, I guess that's all that matters. People are always going to question the authenticity of that card though. Some things are just too suspicious.

I sold off just about all of my GU stuff. Don't trust it anymore unless I pull it myself or see it on video.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundering24 View Post
I don't know if you know who I am, prob not and no reason to, I'm not special but I do have one of the biggest Griffey Jr. collections around - I hear yours is also stellar. Anyway, I bid a few hundred on that same card in a whim but was assured by multiple sources it was NOT authentic. One individual said he saw the identical card pre-altering. I truly, REALLY hope its real because its beautiful and I know that set definitely has similar cards, not quite on that level but definitely similar. I realllllllllllllllllly hope you got a deal on an amazing centerpiece - just wanted to pass on what I was warned about...I was warned because hundreds of people know I'm a Griffey Supercollector and reached out to me BEFORE I bought it to let me know the truth before I got screwed.

If for whatever reason you are saying, "go screw yourself whoever you are thundering24" - I get it, I understand, I'm not hating but my collection speaks for itself...here is about 1/3 of it if you need some confirmation of my Griffey Collection and knowledge on his cards in general. I'm no "NOOB' I just usually don't post on this forum.

www.photobucket.com/kengriffeyjr

Again, I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the card, hope its real and shown off properly in your PC!!!

-Chad
Yeah, I've heard of you and have seen your Griffey photobucket! You definitely have a crazy collection! No doubts the card is real! Too many reasons to believe it is than not being real! Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard of you and have seen your Griffey photobucket! You definitely have a crazy collection! No doubts the card is real! Too many reasons to believe it is than not being real! Thanks!
well, fingers crossed - again, I was told it was pulled at the shop a friend of mine from youtube (of 6 years) watched live - he said it did not look like that when it was pulled, ONE of the 4 looked exactly like that. He said its the same card. For all of us in the collecting community and your sake specifically though I hope he messed up the numbering in his head somehow and that is just a nasty authentic card.

Also for those saying its not worth $1000, lol, I disagree, I've gone $3500 on a griffey card before so, yeah, 'eye of the beholder' - its a sick card. Too bad there are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many 'SICK' cards out there now though, hard to get every one of them lol.

**Off topic, you know the 07 exq. quad patch auto you have? I have the rainbow of that including the 1/1 version, it has never been on the open market, I saw the pull and got the card privately in Boston. It's in my bucket:
Actually I think you commented on it long ago, pretty sure...

1/1 patches tho...shrugs...wished they looked like the ones on that card you just got...

Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luck15hope View Post
Randy 2/4, sick...out of 4 it freakin better be! Bet that was a 'pretty penny'!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Last edited by luck15hope; 12-31-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #71 (permalink)

Oh my...I love this thread more and more...

Tpm,

Listen to thundering...he knows his stuff.

I wonder how long the seller had the card on eBay for? The only reason I ask is because if I faked that patch card, I would have let it go for cheaper knowing it was fake. Any idea how many previous offers he had on it?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
. . . .
Quote:
Pictures below . . . . .
Quote:
Randy 2/4, sick...out of 4 it freakin better be! Bet that was a 'pretty penny'!
You think that this proves that my Griffey card is legit by these pics? I think it definitely does. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #73 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Danyo

Quote:
How can you put a sticker AU on this beautiful card?
Photobucket: http://tinyurl.com/85kc7ez
Danyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #74 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Why are you people wasting the oxygen trying to tell OP it's fake?

If you were to show him a video of the card being altered he STILL would not believe it because as you can tell from his postings he can not admit that he might be wrong.

SGC graded the card and the autograph attached as authentic. Nothing to do with the patches as NO grading company can attest to the validity of any patch on any card.

People who make these cards prey on the stupid and Pleasure Principle people. And they sometimes do really well.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Why are you people wasting the oxygen trying to tell OP it's fake?

If you were to show him a video of the card being altered he STILL would not believe it because as you can tell from his postings he can not admit that he might be wrong.

SGC graded the card and the autograph attached as authentic. Nothing to do with the patches as NO grading company can attest to the validity of any patch on any card.

People who make these cards prey on the stupid and Pleasure Principle people. And they sometimes do really well.
Well, everyone! After receiving this Griffey 09 Quad Patch Auto /24 card in the mail today I am definitely suspicious now that the card has been faked! After seeing that the patches on the card are bubbly and have several loose threads I know for a fact that this is one thing to look for when trying to spot fake patches in a card. Also, I should have realized that the original person who sold this card on eBay, name disclosed, has been caught selling fake patch cards before. I should have never have bought this card because of that one reason. Anyways, I will be sending this card back to the seller in the mail tomorrow and will be getting a full refund for it! Case closed!