Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpm2780 View Post
Well, everyone! After receiving this Griffey 09 Quad Patch Auto /24 card in the mail today I am definitely suspicious now that the card has been faked! After seeing that the patches on the card are bubbly and have several loose threads I know for a fact that this is one thing to look for when trying to spot fake patches in a card. Also, I should have realized that the original person who sold this card on eBay, name disclosed, has been caught selling fake patch cards before. I should have never have bought this card because of that one reason. Anyways, I will be sending this card back to the seller in the mail tomorrow and will be getting a full refund for it! Case closed!
Thank u for realizing. Good luck on your refund!
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Thank u for realizing. Good luck on your refund!
Thanks! It should be no problem at all! Seller opened up a case with eBay that will allow myself to get a refund as soon as the seller receives the card.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #78 (permalink)

Its not hard to spot if the card is in hand. There's tell tale signs too bad for you bud. It really didnt look bad either.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #79 (permalink)

Another thing to keep in mind for the future:
If a quad patch has no jersey behind it and the card features only part of the patch, then it is more likely to be faked. If you look at that Ripken and Johnson, there is jersey present behind the prime patches.
Cubsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmint View Post
Its not hard to spot if the card is in hand. There's tell tale signs too bad for you bud. It really didnt look bad either.
Yeah, I pretty much knew right away after getting the card in hand that something wasn't right with those patches having several loose threads and being bubbly. I don't have any other Griffey authentic patch cards with those problems so that was definitely a red flag! Also, being that the card was listed several months ago by a different seller who has been know to sell fake patch cards that wasn't a good sign either. Anyway, I'm still glad to be able to get a refund for this card and I will probably use that money for a Griffey 99 10th Anniversary 89 UD RC auto /99 card! That will be a nice addition for my already crazy collection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
Another thing to keep in mind for the future:
If a quad patch has no jersey behind it and the card features only part of the patch, then it is more likely to be faked. If you look at that Ripken and Johnson, there is jersey present behind the prime patches.
Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #81 (permalink)

Skip to :45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=F...&v=z0CTTM0Wbig

These card came with sick patches to begin with, not sure why someone would want to fake them.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:37 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriontj View Post
Oh my...I love this thread more and more...

Tpm,

Listen to thundering...he knows his stuff.

I wonder how long the seller had the card on eBay for? The only reason I ask is because if I faked that patch card, I would have let it go for cheaper knowing it was fake. Any idea how many previous offers he had on it?
GRACIAS
Thundering24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyo View Post
How can you put a sticker AU on this beautiful card?
I AGREE - I AGGGGGGREEE! Still a beauty tho eh?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, everyone! After receiving this Griffey 09 Quad Patch Auto /24 card in the mail today I am definitely suspicious now that the card has been faked! After seeing that the patches on the card are bubbly and have several loose threads I know for a fact that this is one thing to look for when trying to spot fake patches in a card. Also, I should have realized that the original person who sold this card on eBay, name disclosed, has been caught selling fake patch cards before. I should have never have bought this card because of that one reason. Anyways, I will be sending this card back to the seller in the mail tomorrow and will be getting a full refund for it! Case closed!

Sorry once again brother, got your PM, I didn't WANT to break that news to you but us TRUE collectors (especially of Griffey jr, woooooooo) have to look out for each other - I WANTED it to be real man, I'm not above spending $1000 on some cards for the PC, but I need to know damn certain its legit, and I want you and any other true and honest collector to be sure your stuff is 'legit' as real. Sorry about the hassle but I agree with you on getting that UD rookie auto buyback for similar money, especially since you already got the griffey/mantle dual auto. Mine was $1400, seems like they are down near $1000 for nr-mt, sweet.
Take care man.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #85 (permalink)

I figured a lot of people would be bashing OP for his hard headedness and "I can't be wrong" attitude but you guys are being pretty good about it even though the opportunity is there lol. I also see a lot of good opportunities for "I told you so" But it's all good I'm glad OP is getting refund.
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post

These card came with sick patches to begin with, not sure why someone would want to fake them.
Because it makes it worth more, I am not sure why anyone has to explain that. Not all where sick.
tonedef2oo8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundering24 View Post
Sorry once again brother, got your PM, I didn't WANT to break that news to you but us TRUE collectors (especially of Griffey jr, woooooooo) have to look out for each other - I WANTED it to be real man, I'm not above spending $1000 on some cards for the PC, but I need to know damn certain its legit, and I want you and any other true and honest collector to be sure your stuff is 'legit' as real. Sorry about the hassle but I agree with you on getting that UD rookie auto buyback for similar money, especially since you already got the griffey/mantle dual auto. Mine was $1400, seems like they are down near $1000 for nr-mt, sweet.
Take care man.
Yeah, that 1999 UD buyback card will be a great addition to my collection and for $1050 that seems to be to be a good deal. Like you said should go very nicely with the griffey/mantle dual auto! Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing at first and that is why I was determined it was real. BUT, after seeing the card in hand too many signs of faking especially with the bubbly patches and loose threads on the patches. Just seems too suspicious to me! In the end I am getting a very nice and rare 1999 UD 10th Anniversary Griffey 89 RC auto /100 card for $1050 so that should be a great addition for my PC!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Take care man.
Thanks man! Well, appreciated! Things became a LOT more clearer after seeing the card in hand! It was hard to determine if it was real or fake by just seeing a pic of the card online. Should have known though that the card was originally sold a few months back from a seller that has been caught selling fake patch cards! That should have rung a bell to me from the beginning. Anyways, all is good and just awaiting my refund after the seller receives the card back!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Because it makes it worth more, I am not sure why anyone has to explain that. Not all where sick.
You completely missed my point. I'm not an idiot. I would appreciate it if you would not respond to me like I am. Thank you.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luck15hope View Post
Are these from the same set, only the dual patch . . . . . Fake??
Too bad the OP found the card to be faked, certainly though to tell by the scan on eBay.

However, the card quoted above is mine, and I will tell you that the patches aren't completely "smooth" to the card...HOWEVER if you look closely you will notice that Griffeys signature went off the card a tad and onto the right patch....being as I can see ink on the patch, tells me it isn't fake. Unless of course someone used blue ink and matched up the signature flow perfectly on the patch they inserted.....

Either way, glad that you were able to return it for a refund, since being comfortable with it is the most important. I've seen too many nice patches from this set and Griffey even, to have thought that card would be fake, but sometimes that can bite you in the rear I guess.
jpcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcz View Post
Too bad the OP found the card to be faked, certainly though to tell by the scan on eBay.

However, the card quoted above is mine, and I will tell you that the patches aren't completely "smooth" to the card...HOWEVER if you look closely you will notice that Griffeys signature went off the card a tad and onto the right patch....being as I can see ink on the patch, tells me it isn't fake. Unless of course someone used blue ink and matched up the signature flow perfectly on the patch they inserted.....

Either way, glad that you were able to return it for a refund, since being comfortable with it is the most important. I've seen too many nice patches from this set and Griffey even, to have thought that card would be fake, but sometimes that can bite you in the rear I guess.
Yeah, it's a shame but in the end I still have one heck of a Griffey collection! As an alternative card for the fake I ended up buying a very nice 2011 Prime Cuts Notable Nicknames JUNIOR Auto /10 card! That card is sweet just got it in the mail today! I now have both his immortal inscriptions JUNIOR Auto /99 card and that card so very special to me to have two of those very rare cards! Thanks!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #93 (permalink)

Yes, the inscriptions are awesome! Need one of the prime cuts myself...but now that you have those, you need these!

jpcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #94 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Danyo

Quote:
I AGREE - I AGGGGGGREEE! Still a beauty tho eh?
Definitely! Just an awesome card!
Photobucket: http://tinyurl.com/85kc7ez
Danyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #95 (permalink)

first, this seller is a proven scammer, sells hundreds of fake patches every year, has many for sale at this time, that should be the first sign
second, all the counterfeit cards he sells should be another sign
third, his fake buybacks are another
need more reasons?
did you look through all the logo patches he has for sale now? dozens of fakes
sgc is a worthless authenticator for modern cards,
no authenticator authenticates patches, that is a lie some scammers use to fool noobs

some he makes himself, others he gets from his scamming partners
just like we have this forum here, and many others
scammers have their own forums, they share and trade, etc... they know each other, they work together sometimes, shill bid on each other, etc... wake up
do you still have the card? you should have made a video and show why it is a fake, warn his future victims, he is a scammer and needs to be boycotted
also, if you do not mind, pm me his current mailing details, he has moved since i have been tracking him

http://www.youtube.com/JOEMLM
JOEMLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEMLM View Post
first, this seller is a proven scammer, sells hundreds of fake patches every year, has many for sale at this time, that should be the first sign
second, all the counterfeit cards he sells should be another sign
third, his fake buybacks are another
need more reasons?
did you look through all the logo patches he has for sale now? dozens of fakes
sgc is a worthless authenticator for modern cards,
no authenticator authenticates patches, that is a lie some scammers use to fool noobs

some he makes himself, others he gets from his scamming partners
just like we have this forum here, and many others
scammers have their own forums, they share and trade, etc... they know each other, they work together sometimes, shill bid on each other, etc... wake up
do you still have the card? you should have made a video and show why it is a fake, warn his future victims, he is a scammer and needs to be boycotted
also, if you do not mind, pm me his current mailing details, he has moved since i have been tracking him

I don't have the card anymore and have sent it back to the seller for a refund. This seller isn't the original scammer seller that sold this card several months ago but he probably knows him somehow. He agreed that he would refund my money for the card and has opened a cancel transaction case on eBay for myself. The card arrived at his local post office in New Jersey and he is going to sign for it in the next day or so. Shouldn't be any problems from there on out. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #97 (permalink)

Is this Vinny the same old guy who sets up at the big shows on the east coast. That guy is old not older but old. There is no way that guy is faking cards purely on the fact that I dont think he can see all that good. Might be a different guy. He deals in very highend cards though. Anyone know the old vinny from the shows. If this his ebay ID
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmint View Post
Is this Vinny the same old guy who sets up at the big shows on the east coast. That guy is old not older but old. There is no way that guy is faking cards purely on the fact that I dont think he can see all that good. Might be a different guy. He deals in very highend cards though. Anyone know the old vinny from the shows. If this his ebay ID
It is AVSPORTS888 that is his eBay user id. I don't think that he faked the card at all but he told me that he got the card from a customer who probably got it from the guy who originally faked the card. That is the info that I am going by. He was very surprised that I thought it was fake so I figured he didn't fake the card himself. Hope this helps! Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
It is AVSPORTS888 that is his eBay user id. I don't think that he faked the card at all but he told me that he got the card from a customer who probably got it from the guy who originally faked the card. That is the info that I am going by. He was very surprised that I thought it was fake so I figured he didn't fake the card himself. Hope this helps! Thanks!

Hahahahahahaha.
W_Raoul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #100 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Danyo

The saga continues...

KEN GRIFFEY JR ULTIMAT AUTO QUAD PATCHES LOGO /24 NICEST GRIFFEY PATCHES LOGO | eBay
Photobucket: http://tinyurl.com/85kc7ez
Danyo is offline   Reply With Quote