Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASEBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/)
-   -   Ebay Buyer Disappears, Any Ideas on what I should do? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/358576-ebay-buyer-disappears-any-ideas-what-i-should-do.html)

ageofreason13 08-27-2012 12:41 PM

Ebay Buyer Disappears, Any Ideas on what I should do?

Back on July 16, auzzie1310 on ebay bought a Jason Heyward 08 BC Gold Refractor auto from me. He paid promptly and the card was shipped on the 18th. I just got it back in the mail because USPS says he never came to sign for it. It looks like he bought a bunch of Heyward golds in July, so I would think he was a legit buyer. Now I can not get a hold of him to find out if he changed addresses or wants it shipped somewhere else. I would refund his payment, but I'd still be on the hook for the seller fees unless he agrees to cancel. Does anyone know him? I am not really sure what to do with it, seems wierd that he would not notice never receiving a $450 card.

nhsportsguy 08-27-2012 12:42 PM

In this case, I would contact eBay.

VWBUS1978 08-27-2012 12:46 PM

maybe he is the "cardcop" in disguise and cannot walk to the PO..

anything sent to him correctly with sig conf and ins. will be declined because then he can't scam you out of it.

contact ebay as NH says... they'll let you know what is up.

ageofreason13 08-27-2012 12:46 PM

I was really hoping someone here might know him

slugger3469 08-27-2012 12:47 PM

you are a better person than most. A LOT of people would consider what happened to you like winning the lottery.

Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing.

BAMBAM 08-27-2012 12:49 PM

One thing I wouldn't do is send it to any address other than the one on his paypal account. That would be an expensive mistake as you're only covered if you ship to his address currently on the account. The best thing is you got the card back and can either wait to hear from him to refund or reship.

ageofreason13 08-27-2012 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=slugger3469;3213833]you are a better person than most. A LOT of people would consider what happened to you like winning the lottery.

Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind...

I'll try contacting ebay in a bit. I figure something has got to be wrong or he was trying to run a scam and it failed. It has been 42 days since the sale, I can't imagine paying $450 for a card and then not bothering to make sure I got it.

ageofreason13 08-27-2012 01:55 PM

Ebay customer support says I did the right thing and if he doesn't get back to me within 72 hours (the 45th day) I am free to do what I want with it. :eek:

WCTYSON 08-27-2012 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=ageofreason13;3214051]Ebay customer support says I did the right thing and if he doesn't get back to me within 72 hours (the 45th day) I am free to do what I want with it. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Trade it to me. :devil:

GoTribe!!! 08-27-2012 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=ageofreason13;3214051]Ebay customer support says I did the right thing and if he doesn't get back to me within 72 hours (the 45th day) I am free to do what I want with it. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Better get a written copy of that statement, just to be safe.

ageofreason13 08-29-2012 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=GoTribe!!!;3215654]Better get a written copy of that statement, just to be safe.[/QUOTE]

Recorded it... I will call and confirm it again Friday. Still no response from him.

kinar 08-30-2012 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=ageofreason13;3228932]Recorded it... I will call and confirm it again Friday. Still no response from him.[/QUOTE]

Its illegal to record telephone conversations without the other party's consent....unless you are the govt of course.

Also, every major company will deny your request for consent.

So recording it doesn't do you a bit of good.

pay2play1983 08-30-2012 12:30 PM

No need to record it buyers cannot open cases after 45 days so that's why they are saying after 45 days it's yours.

XL5 08-30-2012 01:22 PM

Put the $450 aside as a contingency for about a month. You're probably out of the woods but better safe than sorry.

And of course if he does contact you after the time is up, you have a moral issue to deal with.

Cuddy Collector 08-30-2012 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=kinar;3230909]Its illegal to record telephone conversations without the other party's consent....unless you are the govt of course.

Also, every major company will deny your request for consent.

So recording it doesn't do you a bit of good.[/QUOTE]

Depends...

Federal Law permits the recording of a phone call with the consent of at least one party. However, federal law is not necessarily controlling in most situations. Federal law may apply, but not always, when the parties are in two different states.

The majority of states follow the federal line of reasoning and permit single party consent to tape a call. Thus you don't have to get the other person to agree. States which are believed to follow this rule include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, District Of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota,, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

A minority of states require both parties to consent to the recording of a phone call. If a person tapes in these states without two party consent, there can be both civil and criminal consequences. Those states are believed to be: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Washington

Taping to Submit as Evidence in Court
Even if only one party consent is required in a state, it is at the Judge's discretion whether a tape or transcript can be admitted into evidence.

Conclusion
Taping phone calls without consent can be a mixed bag. Anyone contemplating taping clandestinely should seek the advice of an attorney and not rely on the above information which is offered for educational purposes only.

OK, back to the topic at hand :)

zep 08-30-2012 05:27 PM

Sadly, the guy may have passed away or had some type of accident. Collectors don't just forget big money items are coming.

Maybe check news reports from his area between the date he purchased it and a few weeks after.

Has he left feedback for anyone or bid on anything in the last month?

t2554 08-30-2012 05:35 PM

Does it look like he has bought/sold/left feedback recently? Maybe he's having personal problems/family emergency/etc, something that could easily make someone forget about cards.

Personally, if I didn't hear from him I would refund the entire amount minus shipping and PayPal/ebay fees. Doesn't seem right to keep both the card and the money, and the money would be the easiest thing to return. Like someone else said, it's whatever you think is morally right or wrong.

ageofreason13 08-30-2012 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=zep;3232835]Sadly, the guy may have passed away or had some type of accident. Collectors don't just forget big money items are coming.

Maybe check news reports from his area between the date he purchased it and a few weeks after.

Has he left feedback for anyone or bid on anything in the last month?[/QUOTE]

The customer service person at ebay actually spoke with the guy on Monday. He told the folks at ebay he would be responding to my messages and that he would be happy to pay for me to ship it again. He hasn't followed through on any of it. There is something very strange going on. He bought several gold Heywards, and I talked to another guy that sold one to him. The other seller said the cards went through just fine. I will just keep sending him messages.

ageofreason13 09-01-2012 12:15 AM

Finally heard from him and he is sending money for me to ship again. He says he travels a lot for work.

Thommy 09-01-2012 12:16 AM

Hire a magician :D

dthimesch 09-01-2012 12:24 AM

Wow, that whole thing was crazy. If you hadn't tried so hard to make the transaction right he would be out the card. Unbelievable that he basically didn't care about getting it.

thescout 09-01-2012 12:46 AM

the most annoying thing as I'm reading all of this is I got a counter from ageofreason while I was literally shopping at the grocery store that would have gotten me this heyward along with 2 of his 3 other remaining golds for maybe $350ish value on the heyward (would have to check the pms) and I responded that I'd take a look at the price when I got home...got home like 45 minutes later and I re-countered like $25 less than his offer and this guy who doesn't even want the card had popped it on ebay at his BIN of 449.99 or whatever, made me want to cry, ha

good to hear the members on here care about doing the right thing!!!

itsinthecards 10-05-2012 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=VWBUS1978;3213826]maybe he is the "cardcop" in disguise and cannot walk to the PO..

anything sent to him correctly with sig conf and ins. will be declined because then he can't scam you out of it.

contact ebay as NH says... they'll let you know what is up.[/QUOTE]

They took down CARDCOP's Lame rant and ramble thread.. That was quick.

Pine Tar 10-05-2012 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=itsinthecards;3425206]They took down CARDCOP's Lame rant and ramble thread.. That was quick.[/QUOTE]

No its not he should have never been allowed to even join here.

And OP I hope this card finally made it to the the guy that bought the card from you

Anderdale 10-05-2012 05:23 PM

How long does the PO wait before they send a package back that isn't signed for? I also sold a card recently and the tracking has said "delivery status not updated" for weeks. I think my buyer did a similar thing and is no where to be found. thanks