Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ebay Buyer Disappears, Any Ideas on what I should do?

Back on July 16, auzzie1310 on ebay bought a Jason Heyward 08 BC Gold Refractor auto from me. He paid promptly and the card was shipped on the 18th. I just got it back in the mail because USPS says he never came to sign for it. It looks like he bought a bunch of Heyward golds in July, so I would think he was a legit buyer. Now I can not get a hold of him to find out if he changed addresses or wants it shipped somewhere else. I would refund his payment, but I'd still be on the hook for the seller fees unless he agrees to cancel. Does anyone know him? I am not really sure what to do with it, seems wierd that he would not notice never receiving a $450 card.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

In this case, I would contact eBay.
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

maybe he is the "cardcop" in disguise and cannot walk to the PO..

anything sent to him correctly with sig conf and ins. will be declined because then he can't scam you out of it.

contact ebay as NH says... they'll let you know what is up.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was really hoping someone here might know him
Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

you are a better person than most. A LOT of people would consider what happened to you like winning the lottery.

Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing.
slugger3469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

One thing I wouldn't do is send it to any address other than the one on his paypal account. That would be an expensive mistake as you're only covered if you ship to his address currently on the account. The best thing is you got the card back and can either wait to hear from him to refund or reship.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3469 View Post
you are a better person than most. A LOT of people would consider what happened to you like winning the lottery.

Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing.
I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind...

I'll try contacting ebay in a bit. I figure something has got to be wrong or he was trying to run a scam and it failed. It has been 42 days since the sale, I can't imagine paying $450 for a card and then not bothering to make sure I got it.

Last edited by ageofreason13; 08-27-2012 at 11:53 AM.
ageofreason13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ebay customer support says I did the right thing and if he doesn't get back to me within 72 hours (the 45th day) I am free to do what I want with it.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofreason13 View Post
Ebay customer support says I did the right thing and if he doesn't get back to me within 72 hours (the 45th day) I am free to do what I want with it.
Trade it to me.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Better get a written copy of that statement, just to be safe.
GoTribe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe!!! View Post
Better get a written copy of that statement, just to be safe.
Recorded it... I will call and confirm it again Friday. Still no response from him.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Recorded it... I will call and confirm it again Friday. Still no response from him.
Its illegal to record telephone conversations without the other party's consent....unless you are the govt of course.

Also, every major company will deny your request for consent.

So recording it doesn't do you a bit of good.
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

No need to record it buyers cannot open cases after 45 days so that's why they are saying after 45 days it's yours.
pay2play1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
XL5

Put the $450 aside as a contingency for about a month. You're probably out of the woods but better safe than sorry.

And of course if he does contact you after the time is up, you have a moral issue to deal with.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinar View Post
Its illegal to record telephone conversations without the other party's consent....unless you are the govt of course.

Also, every major company will deny your request for consent.

So recording it doesn't do you a bit of good.
Depends...

Federal Law permits the recording of a phone call with the consent of at least one party. However, federal law is not necessarily controlling in most situations. Federal law may apply, but not always, when the parties are in two different states.

The majority of states follow the federal line of reasoning and permit single party consent to tape a call. Thus you don't have to get the other person to agree. States which are believed to follow this rule include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, District Of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota,, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

A minority of states require both parties to consent to the recording of a phone call. If a person tapes in these states without two party consent, there can be both civil and criminal consequences. Those states are believed to be: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Washington

Taping to Submit as Evidence in Court
Even if only one party consent is required in a state, it is at the Judge's discretion whether a tape or transcript can be admitted into evidence.

Conclusion
Taping phone calls without consent can be a mixed bag. Anyone contemplating taping clandestinely should seek the advice of an attorney and not rely on the above information which is offered for educational purposes only.

OK, back to the topic at hand
Cuddy Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
zep

Sadly, the guy may have passed away or had some type of accident. Collectors don't just forget big money items are coming.

Maybe check news reports from his area between the date he purchased it and a few weeks after.

Has he left feedback for anyone or bid on anything in the last month?
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Does it look like he has bought/sold/left feedback recently? Maybe he's having personal problems/family emergency/etc, something that could easily make someone forget about cards.

Personally, if I didn't hear from him I would refund the entire amount minus shipping and PayPal/ebay fees. Doesn't seem right to keep both the card and the money, and the money would be the easiest thing to return. Like someone else said, it's whatever you think is morally right or wrong.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep View Post
Sadly, the guy may have passed away or had some type of accident. Collectors don't just forget big money items are coming.

Maybe check news reports from his area between the date he purchased it and a few weeks after.

Has he left feedback for anyone or bid on anything in the last month?
The customer service person at ebay actually spoke with the guy on Monday. He told the folks at ebay he would be responding to my messages and that he would be happy to pay for me to ship it again. He hasn't followed through on any of it. There is something very strange going on. He bought several gold Heywards, and I talked to another guy that sold one to him. The other seller said the cards went through just fine. I will just keep sending him messages.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Finally heard from him and he is sending money for me to ship again. He says he travels a lot for work.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hire a magician
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Wow, that whole thing was crazy. If you hadn't tried so hard to make the transaction right he would be out the card. Unbelievable that he basically didn't care about getting it.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

the most annoying thing as I'm reading all of this is I got a counter from ageofreason while I was literally shopping at the grocery store that would have gotten me this heyward along with 2 of his 3 other remaining golds for maybe $350ish value on the heyward (would have to check the pms) and I responded that I'd take a look at the price when I got home...got home like 45 minutes later and I re-countered like $25 less than his offer and this guy who doesn't even want the card had popped it on ebay at his BIN of 449.99 or whatever, made me want to cry, ha

good to hear the members on here care about doing the right thing!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
maybe he is the "cardcop" in disguise and cannot walk to the PO..

anything sent to him correctly with sig conf and ins. will be declined because then he can't scam you out of it.

contact ebay as NH says... they'll let you know what is up.
They took down CARDCOP's Lame rant and ramble thread.. That was quick.

Last edited by itsinthecards; 10-05-2012 at 10:26 AM.
itsinthecards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsinthecards View Post
They took down CARDCOP's Lame rant and ramble thread.. That was quick.
No its not he should have never been allowed to even join here.

And OP I hope this card finally made it to the the guy that bought the card from you
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

How long does the PO wait before they send a package back that isn't signed for? I also sold a card recently and the tracking has said "delivery status not updated" for weeks. I think my buyer did a similar thing and is no where to be found. thanks