Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please Help Me Here!!

I bought a sports collection of bbstuff08 on ebay for $3600 and received and its not close to item described and has some damage. I have case open with ebay but i have to prove to them its not as described how do i do that. I have proof in my email but they say they can only use ebay email. I also filed a charge back with credit card what do i do will credit card protect me?
brian12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default ....

I'm curious as to what you were expecting? After looking at the listing it contains next to no description other then "$30,000 bv and 9000 cards". What did you make of the line "AWESOME FOR BREAKING UP *INCLUDING SOME SAMPLE PICS OF THE NICE STUFF YOU WILL BE GETTING~~~~~~~~~THE PICS ARE A SAMPLE OF WHAT IS IN THE AUCTION , YOU WILL NOT GET THE EXACT CARDS THAT ARE PICTURED . YOU WILL GET CARDS OF THE ERA AND LIKE THIS"

It also lists conditions ranging from EX+ to NM. That was basically a $3600 blind leap of faith Is there more to the story? Do you know the seller etc.? I think this might be one of those thats hard to prove if he fights it, as there is basically no info listed as to what you are getting, specifics etc. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. Best of luck to ya.
D.J.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, uh, I think you're pretty well screwed if the seller disputes this claim. I hate to say it, but this may be a VERY expensive lesson to fully read and understand the item description. There is no way I would have ever bid on that.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Bars and Bar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Take pictures and attach them to your case.

Tell them the cards are not in the condition described, not worth the value described.

Refuse to settle for anything less than a full refund.

You will win it.

EDIT: Tell them the auction and especially the pictures are misleading. This line "THE PICS ARE A SAMPLE OF WHAT IS IN THE AUCTION , YOU WILL NOT GET THE EXACT CARDS THAT ARE PICTURED . YOU WILL GET CARDS OF THE ERA AND LIKE THIS" means jack. You will still win. Just do not accept the partial that you will inevitably be offered.

Last edited by houdini; 08-27-2012 at 10:06 PM.
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do u think i will win with ebay or credit card company?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
Do u think i will win with ebay or credit card company?
eBay.......
Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I hope your right if not will credit card have my back?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
I hope your right if not will credit card have my back?
I do not know your credit card, maybe. I do know eBay though.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default ...

I think you are lucky you paid via credit card, as its pretty easy to dispute going that route. Usually a phone call or two and they take care of it for you. Honestly though, without more info from you and pics etc., as to what you received... I don't see how ebay would side with you? You aren't a new seller/buyer as you have over 1000 feedback and should know better then to go for something so vague at that pricepoint. Seems to me the seller used a lot of misdirection and vague claims etc. I hope it works out for you, but again curious as to your reasoning for even buying this? Tons of decent lots on ebay with full listings and pics at that price. Hopefully not an expensive self-inflicted shot in the foot.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

is this a joke? if not, why cant u bid on my auctions
NJSPORTSMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well i have lots of emails via personal email and ebay email of what he says im getting compared to what i got he has changed his story several times. I have all these printed out in case credit card whats them Chase is my credit card.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default ...

Quote:
Well i have lots of emails via personal email and ebay email of what he says im getting compared to what i got he has changed his story several times. I have all these printed out in case credit card whats them Chase is my credit card.
Like I said I don't think you'll have any trouble disputing the charge with your CC statement. Its just hard to see things in your favor without posting pics/info of what you say you were promised vs. what you received etc. Comes across as a poor judgement call and now buyer's remorse. Never like to see someone taken advantage of, but purely from the listing I don't see how the seller would really be at fault here. Again provided you received 9000 cards w/ a bv of $30000, with at least 1 card from the 60s, a 1/1 card, some graded cards etc. Its really not to specific. Hopefully your emails and everything agreed to was done well ahead of you actually buying this lot? Really interested in seeing what the seller and ebay have to say.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

So does that mean credit card will refund me?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default ....

Quote:
So does that mean credit card will refund me?
Once you call them up and explain that you weren't happy with your purchase, wasn't what you wanted/expected etc. It shouldn't take your CC company long to start the chargeback process. Most use that knowledge as extra security when paying with a CC through paypal.

Honestly though I don't think it should work that way, and personally I think you just made a bad mistake. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but I think you'll be lucky in this case. Knowing paypal you'd probably win that to with the "item not as described" case as well, but you'll have backup with your CC no matter what. Again though I don't endorse this or think its right in cases like this but it is what it is
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Take pictures and attach them to your case.

Tell them the cards are not in the condition described, not worth the value described.

Refuse to settle for anything less than a full refund.

You will win it.

EDIT: Tell them the auction and especially the pictures are misleading. This line "THE PICS ARE A SAMPLE OF WHAT IS IN THE AUCTION , YOU WILL NOT GET THE EXACT CARDS THAT ARE PICTURED . YOU WILL GET CARDS OF THE ERA AND LIKE THIS" means jack. You will still win. Just do not accept the partial that you will inevitably be offered.
Given Houdini's experience with eBay, I suggest you listen to him and no one else. /thread.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

Did you get 30K BV worth of cards? If not its simple file an item not as described (he does have to meet that obligation at least. Send it back with sig confirmation and get a refund. He also has a 14 day return policy just take advantage of that. Still though if you got something similar and meets the BV requirements I say shame on you for buying such. I mean did he promise something else via email other than what he sent? That will go a long way with the CC company not far with ebay though. Still think its an easy return since he offers the return policy.
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
Given Houdini's experience with eBay, I suggest you listen to him and no one else. /thread.
No, the guy has good advice with the CC, but it won't get that far.

Your CC should tell you to go through the eBay dispute process first. That is what they told me years ago.

Again, you will win the eBay dispute unless you do something crazy. Once you get an eBay rep to look at that auction it should be pretty quick too.

I do disagree that this isn't the way it should be. The seller is clearly scamming (based on feedback and that auction). I am glad the safeguards are there. I do agree that the process can be abused, but in this situation it is great.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
Everything he said was true, but thats no guarantee he'll win the paypal case. Given their favoring and trying to protect buyers, it usually goes that way, but not always. Especially on items like this. The long he lets this go only works against him, in regards to the CC claim that is. And if you do lose the paypal case and then try to get a refund that route, the harder it'll be if they look into it more and contact paypal...the seller etc. Thats really all I was saying Do I think he'll lose the case? Probably not...but at the same time without more details to me doesn't seem so clear cut.

Oh and just for some credibility on my end so you don't think I'm talking out my ass... I've sold on ebay sense they first started with tens of thousands of positive feedbacks, and dealt with just about every CC scenario you can think of having owned 4 separate hobby shop locations over the past 20 years. Just prefer to lurk on here and do most things through pm Starting to post more as I get a kick out of it and like to help if i can.

Good luck to you either way.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Wow, that seller may live just down the road from me....
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
No, the guy has good advice with the CC, but it won't get that far.

Your CC should tell you to go through the eBay dispute process first. That is what they told me years ago.

Again, you will win the eBay dispute unless you do something crazy. Once you get an eBay rep to look at that auction it should be pretty quick too.

I do disagree that this isn't the way it should be. The seller is clearly scamming (based on feedback and that auction). I am glad the safeguards are there. I do agree that the process can be abused, but in this situation it is great.
Pretty much agree with this as well. Was just answering his questions about the CC route. I also think its good the safeguards are there, just that its unfortunate that they are used as an "out" to a deal that should really never have been done in the first place. In my opinion that is. I do agree the listing is pretty bad, but haven't seen anything that shows the seller faulted on his end. Now if OP comes back and says "I didn't get anything from the 60's , no GU or auto's, only 5000 cards" etc etc. It'd be a lot more clear cut.

As it is, can he get a refund ? Yes. Should he be able to going off of just what he provided us? Probably not...seems like buyers remorse. Not trying to be down on OP, just not something you'd expect from someone with 1000+ feedback etc.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Wow, that seller may live just down the road from me....
Should probably hit him up and learn those Jedi Mind Tricks he seems to employ to get people to dump thousands on what is basically a giant grab bag
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

I like how he tried to avoid liability with the line, "THE PICS ARE A SAMPLE OF WHAT IS IN THE AUCTION , YOU WILL NOT GET THE EXACT CARDS THAT ARE PICTURED . YOU WILL GET CARDS OF THE ERA AND LIKE THIS." Nice try, but not a chance.

First he says the pics are a sample of what is in the auction, meaning those cards are included. Then he backs off that with, "I said sample, but I didn't mean it that way. You won't get those cards."

You can't use those pictures and then bury the language that says you won't get those cards deep in the description in nondescript font. Especially when the language itself is contradictory from sentence to sentence.

I'm fairly confident that you'll be able to win at some level, whether it be eBay, credit card, or legal dispute.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.G. View Post
Pretty much agree with this as well. Was just answering his questions about the CC route. I also think its good the safeguards are there, just that its unfortunate that they are used as an "out" to a deal that should really never have been done in the first place. In my opinion that is. I do agree the listing is pretty bad, but haven't seen anything that shows the seller faulted on his end. Now if OP comes back and says "I didn't get anything from the 60's , no GU or auto's, only 5000 cards" etc etc. It'd be a lot more clear cut.

As it is, can he get a refund ? Yes. Should he be able to going off of just what he provided us? Probably not...seems like buyers remorse. Not trying to be down on OP, just not something you'd expect from someone with 1000+ feedback etc.
Yep, no disagreement here.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

58 mays

71 munson

54 berra

64 mays

59 mantle

58 williams

58 mays

57 mays

60 mays

62 ford

66 mays

62 koufax

56 mays

lots of 50's and 60 vintage stars and high numbers
Here is one email through ebay that he said i was getting that i didnt.