Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Case to buy - Bowman Chrome or Bowman Draft

Working on getting some PayPal together to buy a case in Oct or Nov. I have a local kid drafted in this past years Draft who I'm wanting to collect as much of his cards as possible. I am 99% sure he'll be in the Bowman Draft, but not sure about Chrome. I have never bought either of these products so I'm curious as to what you guys suggest.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think most will tell you that there's more value to be found in Draft...although many believe this to be one of the weakest draft classes in years. Chrome should have some nice stuff, though. I believe Middlebrooks will have an auto (maybe?) and perhaps Billy Hamilton?

Who's the kid, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

There have been a couple discussions based on this the last few days/ weeks so I won't rehash everything.

Usually I'm sure most would say Draft but Draft case prices could fluctuate like crazy due to the limited allotment of jumbo cases. I would wait until after release as I'm sure a regular hobby case will drop in price- I'm sure any Jumbo case will be too expensive to be worth buying.

Many view the Draft class as weak though so the product might not hold value as before. It basically comes down to the checklist for both products which we will probably have to wait on until release and the prices of Draft cases.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Byron Buxton, and I actually just talked to him. He was at the local Dairy Queen when I was eating lunch. Said he was home till Wednesday then heading back to Fort Myers for fall ball.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugachip10 View Post
Byron Buxton, and I actually just talked to him. He was at the local Dairy Queen when I was eating lunch. Said he was home till Wednesday then heading back to Fort Myers for fall ball.
No kidding! That's a good guy to collect!! All I'll say is you'll have a bit of competition with myself
Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah......I was hoping he may fly under the radar a little. But he's a great kid, our families have been friends for many years. I think Zunino may be the HOT player in this years draft, but Buck is definitely the one I want to collect.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah......I was hoping he may fly under the radar a little. But he's a great kid, our families have been friends for many years. I think Zunino may be the HOT player in this years draft, but Buck is definitely the one I want to collect.
Very cool! He's definitely the guy I'm most excited for from this year's draft...I'm not at all surprised to hear he's a good kid. Pretty sweet name too
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

he's home for the weekend, as the high school baseball team is getting their State Championship rings tonight at the football game. I'll try to get a good pic and post it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
he's home for the weekend, as the high school baseball team is getting their State Championship rings tonight at the football game. I'll try to get a good pic and post it.
That'd be awesome! Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Woohoo, go M's!

And I like your non-chalant attitude about running into one of the top 3 draft picks of this year's draft.
tajikey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I say go for draft. I personally think it is really going to surprise people this year with how good it is going to be.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
I think most will tell you that there's more value to be found in Draft...although many believe this to be one of the weakest draft classes in years. Chrome should have some nice stuff, though. I believe Middlebrooks will have an auto (maybe?) and perhaps Billy Hamilton?

Ssshhhh...
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
Ssshhhh...
Yeah...what the hell am I saying...NOTHING TO SEE IN CHROME THIS YEAR PEOPLE! Draft all the way
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Woohoo, go M's!

And I like your non-chalant attitude about running into one of the top 3 draft picks of this year's draft.
we're from a very small town and he's a kid you saw come thru the rec. program and then high school and has made it big time. Everybody knows everybody, so he just chills when he is home. He actually lives about half a mile from my store and the "little" city we leave in put this up this week right across the road from my business.Best Case to buy - Bowman Chrome or Bowman Draft-photo.jpg
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
we're from a very small town and he's a kid you saw come thru the rec. program and then high school and has made it big time. Everybody knows everybody, so he just chills when he is home. He actually lives about half a mile from my store and the "little" city we leave in put this up this week right across the road from my business.Attachment 102806
Man, that is cool! A real hometown hero...it's great to see kids who never forget their roots.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

I do have a baseball that I bought at a FCA banquet that he autographed right before the draft. Being a "local kid", no one would bid on it, which I thought was stupid. So I bid on it and still no one would bid against me. So my wife bid against me and it was on......Had numerous people come up to me afterwards as say, "why'd you buy that, I could have got you one for free". Just have to SMH at some people.........
Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I do have a baseball that I bought at a FCA banquet that he autographed right before the draft. Being a "local kid", no one would bid on it, which I thought was stupid. So I bid on it and still no one would bid against me. So my wife bid against me and it was on......Had numerous people come up to me afterwards as say, "why'd you buy that, I could have got you one for free". Just have to SMH at some people.........
Heh...the less the masses know, the better for us
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Good luck! One of his unsigned Topps Under Armour cards was at $80+ when I checked it.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Working on getting some PayPal together to buy a case in Oct or Nov. I have a local kid drafted in this past years Draft who I'm wanting to collect as much of his cards as possible. I am 99% sure he'll be in the Bowman Draft, but not sure about Chrome. I have never bought either of these products so I'm curious as to what you guys suggest.
I'm actually thinking about Draft. I've been quietly reading the several posts on various boards as to why this years draft class is the weakest, etc, etc.

Well, compared to 2011, absolutely this might be the weakest in awhile - can't be as bad as 2008 though!

Actually, I'm on the lookout for Carlos Correa - not sure if he's in the checklist or not, but that's my big chaser for the year. I'm sure he's on the list of many collectors. This being my first year of true prospecting, I'm glad to say that I made out allright. I haven't sold anything major as of yet (will probably do so in mid-september) and rebuy in the offseason.

Work case scenario, if 2012 doesn't pan out, I'll opt out and buy a case of 2011 BDPP.
wickedliquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just checked - ended at $135.99
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmtampa View Post
Good luck! One of his unsigned Topps Under Armour cards was at $80+ when I checked it.
He has me a handful of these waiting, if that makes you cringe........
Old 09-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Harper, Darvish, Cespedes and the rest of the gang are going to have auto RCs in bowman chrome this year correct?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to slugger82685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
Harper, Darvish, Cespedes and the rest of the gang are going to have auto RCs in bowman chrome this year correct?
the sell sheet for draft has them on there too
slugger82685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
the sell sheet for draft has them on there too
Correct. The class might not be as strong and aside from a few potential hot prospects, Topps needs to milk this as much as they can. I can take wild guess this being the reason they are keeping BDPP a hobby only product and not retail.
wickedliquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

For BDPP can you rip-and-flip this product at release or is it more of an "investment" product where that wouldn't work. I'm locked in for 5 cases of BC but am considering doing the same with BDPP but that was the only question that has prevented me from pulling the trigger. I'm buying straight from a distributor if that helps any.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote