Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What Should I Buy to Rip/Flip?

Hey guys just looking for input on what the best case is to satisfy the urge to open packs, get hits, and sell them to at least break even.

I did pretty well with a case of Platinum this year and want to open another case at some point. Are there any cases with fewer cards that are worth opening or should I stick with the large number of cards?

What are your favorite cases to open? Price range is probably 2000 or less for a case.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
ff26884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I think BDPP will provide your best chance at ripping and flipping, even at its current price point. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot...
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not the expert ... but from the research I've done, it's hard to go wrong with the Topps base products in terms of risk. I'm definitely doing a multi-case break of 2013 Topps Series 1, and considering doing a few cases of 2012 Topps Update (releases in about 4 weeks).
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bowman. Preorder as early as possible and sell factory sealed case right at release. Works every year.
romad97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad97 View Post
Bowman. Preorder as early as possible and sell factory sealed case right at release. Works every year.
What kind of ROI per case are we talking here?
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

03/04 Exquisite Basketball
ichirorox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
What kind of ROI per case are we talking here?
ALOT I am kicking myself so much for not flipping the three jumbo cases of Bowman I had. I got in late but got 3 for $900 each. They were selling on ebay over $1300 a week after release. I'm sure there are many who got in lower than 900.

I ripped.... them all because that was my first time ever getting a case and I love Bowman. The cases were horrible- no gold autos even in 3 cases, very few big names.

Anyway- To buy a case and then sell I would recommend high end products as they almost always go up sometimes in huge % and are usually cheaper to ship because they weigh alot less (insurance though). I bought 2 cases of Tier One and made a tidy profit on the 2nd that helped pay for the first case I ripped. 2012 Museum Collection was my favorite set ever but I wish I would have flipped or help and flipped as case prices have gone from $1000 to close to $2000.

I bought 2 cases of Five Star early- again one to rip and one to flip as I'm pretty confident the price will rise.

Otherwise, I would agree that base Bowman is the best one to flip- it always goes up every year significantly upon release even if the huge names aren't there.

To actually rip and flip it seems that base Topps is the safest although I struggled with Topps 2 (partly my fault). Ginter was pretty good this year but really its a crapshoot with most of the products released as they can vary year to year. I've only been able to do 1-3 cases with most products but I've heard from others that if you can do 5+ cases you usually do much better.

I wouldn't recommend ripping and flipping high end, Topps Chrome (learned my lesson), Finest, and Bowman Platinum.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad97 View Post
Bowman Jumbo ONLY!
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

If such a magical product existed it wouldn't be cheap and it would be long sold out.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Why not a group break of 2012 Topps Chrome? You could make out big if you get a lot of spots, just saying...
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote