Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg
Default A good story for the night crew.

So yesterday I was working a street fair with my LCS OWNER. I bust nearly 3/4 of a box of signature stars 2009. A little kid walks by and grabs one pack...he pulls a Bryce Harper relic/auto. Bummed, yes. Happy for him, sure. But I was quite worried when he just put it in his pocket and walked away...sigh, another expensive card lost to a careless kid.

That is my story, enjoy.
Sent from U.S Airways WiFi
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

HA! That's funny.
stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ha, hilarious. I made this picture a few months back for something but it seems to fit here also..

A good story for the night crew.-forum.jpg
kwalter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

So you saw what he pulled and neither you nor the LCS owner gave him a sleeve and toploader to put it in???

I call BS on this story...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I would think a sleeve and toploader would be in order for a pull like that.

As for cards lost to 'careless kids', it has always been that way, kids in the 60's were careless, kids in the '80's were careless. I was there once (anyone remember flipping cards on the playground? I always went home with more cards than I brought to school).

And even today, my 10 yr old collects. His cards are not pristine but if he pulls something decent, I sleeve it and put it in a toploader. The first thing he does when someone gives him a factory set is rip the wrapper off and actually go through them and look at them.

Like it or not, kids are the future of the hobby, without them, when you are old your cards will be worth nothing. (there is actually a theory that when the boomers retire and start selling their vintage the prices will collapse due to the market being flooded)
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
Yeah, I would think a sleeve and toploader would be in order for a pull like that.

As for cards lost to 'careless kids', it has always been that way, kids in the 60's were careless, kids in the '80's were careless. I was there once (anyone remember flipping cards on the playground? I always went home with more cards than I brought to school).

And even today, my 10 yr old collects. His cards are not pristine but if he pulls something decent, I sleeve it and put it in a toploader. The first thing he does when someone gives him a factory set is rip the wrapper off and actually go through them and look at them.

Like it or not, kids are the future of the hobby, without them, when you are old your cards will be worth nothing. (there is actually a theory that when the boomers retire and start selling their vintage the prices will collapse due to the market being flooded)
I don't know, I would say it depends on how each kid is taught. When I started collecting back when I was 8 I would sleeve all of my cards and put them into binders or put my favorites (Griffey, Jeter etc.) in top loaders. I got my sisters into collecting last year, they are only 10 now but they take care of their cards just as well as I did and they would know better if they hit something as valuable as Harper.
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
So you saw what he pulled and neither you nor the LCS owner gave him a sleeve and toploader to put it in???

I call BS on this story...
It was a street fair. You try to pack as light as you can for those. I didn't have anything except for $50 on me. My lcs owner offered him a top loader, but it was too thin. He then offered him a team bag, and the kid declined....i wouldn't make a story up for no reason.
Sent from U.S Airways WiFi
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

there was a kid at a local card show that pulled an Michael Jordan auto from a retail box and brought it to school, he then brought it to the show and it was completly bent in half.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

did the kid pull any konerkos

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
did the kid pull any konerkos
nbk, please read my location.

.264 AVG 4 HR 45 RBI
metsandweezer is offline   Reply With Quote