Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #76 (permalink)

My extra QL-700 is SOLD. Soon I will do a write-up on how to use these bad boys, really worth the money.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #77 (permalink)

Good man, thx
Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I'm really excited about the gold parallels ... will be curious to see how well they are collated. Hopefully not too many dupes.
It will be similar to the cognacs last year, which were collated well.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #79 (permalink)

Not to hijack the thread, but I have an unanswered question of whether the Brother Thermal Printers work properly on Mac computers. They claim to be compatible, but several people have claimed problems.

Have these problems been fixed?

Link to other thread:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...uld-i-buy.html
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #80 (permalink)

Just did a write-up of how to use the QL-700 here:

How to Use the Brother QL-700 Label Printer for USPS Shipping
Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I have an unanswered question of whether the Brother Thermal Printers work properly on Mac computers. They claim to be compatible, but several people have claimed problems.

Have these problems been fixed?

Link to other thread:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...uld-i-buy.html
I hope so man, the guy I sold it to has a Mac and was asking about it. I told him I wouldn't vouch for it but that the Brother site claims that it works.

EDIT: Several Amazon reviewers claim that it worked well on their Macbooks.

Last edited by calculusdork; 09-20-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #82 (permalink)

Really wish I would have got one of those label makers now- I purchased a cheap desktop printer in the summer when I started selling seriously and I already need to buy expensive ink. I also lose alot of time taping the labels securely for every package. I might just have to get one anyway. I didn't realize you could use for paypal/ebay shipping with the small label. Thanks for the great write up.

I am only going to be able to do 2 jumbo cases due to time constraints. Really wish I could do 5 as that seems like the magic number. I know I won't make as much as I should because I plan on chasing the gold set so I'll keep all of those. I'm not a huge set builder but I'm always attracted to challenging sets.

I was disappointed with Topps 2 but am doing well with inserts and even base I still had on COMC. Update looks much stronger so I think it will be pretty good.

Has anyone heard any updates on the odds of the Presidential cards?
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neahcrow View Post
I know I won't make as much as I should because I plan on selling all my gold parallels to calculusdork at an unbelievable price.
Fixed this for you
Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #84 (permalink)

I do not own a brother thermal printer, but Brother is one of the ONLY brands that is compatible with Macs across the board.

now, i heard you say macbook... does it have an Intel processor, or an IBM, like my 12" Powerbook.

Intel Processor macs will run (with a bit of tweaking) anything. PowerPC or IBM macs are insanely difficult to get to work with some peripheral devices.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neahcrow View Post
I am only going to be able to do 2 jumbo cases due to time constraints. Really wish I could do 5 as that seems like the magic number. I know I won't make as much as I should because I plan on chasing the gold set so I'll keep all of those. I'm not a huge set builder but I'm always attracted to challenging sets.
That's going to be a tough challenge. The set is 990 cards and you're only getting about 108-120 of them.
Hobby is the way to go, if you plan on actually putting together sets of the parallels. Last year with 3 hobby cases of Update, I put together 65% of the Cognac set and Gold should be inserted at the same rate this year. With Jumbo, you'd need 9 cases with absolute perfect collation to get close to a Gold Border set.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I'm excited ... actually taking off 10/4 and 10/5 to make sure I enjoy it and do a good job.
Your OP said that this was your first multi-case break, but have you done any single case breaks before? How did you calculate the time needed to rip and sort?
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
That's going to be a tough challenge. The set is 990 cards and you're only getting about 108-120 of them.
Hobby is the way to go, if you plan on actually putting together sets of the parallels. Last year with 3 hobby cases of Update, I put together 65% of the Cognac set and Gold should be inserted at the same rate this year. With Jumbo, you'd need 9 cases with absolute perfect collation to get close to a Gold Border set.
Thats okay with me. I'll buy lots or off COMC etc. I dont want a bunch of extra base and other inserts to worry about. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm working on the Museum Collection master set and Topps Chrome Sepia and Sepia auto set now. Intrigued with 2012 Bowman Sterling (due to how hard base cards will be to pull) although I like moving prospect cards when the value is good.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
You get 30 golds per jumbo box 10 from each series, 180 per case, 1080 in 6 cases. If collation was really good you could do it in 6 jumbo cases but I think it would take 7.
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Your OP said that this was your first multi-case break, but have you done any single case breaks before? How did you calculate the time needed to rip and sort?
Cases will be at my house when I get home from work Wednesday (10/3), and Monday (10/8) is a holiday, so I just decided to take off the two days in between.

I figured if Brent Williams can do a complete rip-and-flip of 60 cases working with two other people in 3 weeks , I can do 6 cases in 5 days working with my wife (who stays at home).
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #90 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Cases will be at my house when I get home from work Wednesday (10/3), and Monday (10/8) is a holiday, so I just decided to take off the two days in between.

I figured if Brent Williams can do a complete rip-and-flip of 60 cases working with two other people in 3 weeks , I can do 6 cases in 5 days working with my wife (who stays at home).
Too bad I didn't live closer to you, brother, I'd be more than willing to help you out para gratis!
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Too bad I didn't live closer to you, brother, I'd be more than willing to help you out para gratis!
(considers packing up the family and moving to California)

Not to get the cart before the horse, but I'm looking into doing these breaks regularly ... I've got a friend that needs a little money, and I was trying to work out a fair wage to pay him to sort sets. This would allow me to spend more time listing items and to get things up on eBay a bit more quickly, which definitely can impact the ROI (thereby justifying the add'l labor).

Unfortunately, he's going to be out of town for this break. So my wife will be helping to sort and package things. My boys will be helping to look for SP variations ... kids have an eye for that sort of thing.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #92 (permalink)

OP did you ever get the scanner? I think I remember yousaying your needed one.

Curious to see what you have and the quality since I too am looking for a scanner.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB81 View Post
OP did you ever get the scanner? I think I remember yousaying your needed one.

Curious to see what you have and the quality since I too am looking for a scanner.
Not yet, still trying to decide if I need it right now. I have a Dell AIO 926 at the moment (decent quality, takes about 1 minute to do a full scan). I am out of ink - this is part of the reason I could justify buying a new AIO - but I just found out Costco can refill my black/color cartridges for about $18 total.

I may very well get started with the break, realize my scanner is just taking too long, and go get another one. We'll see.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe the most valuable post of the thread. Right now, my eBay limits are 100 items and $5,000. If I split sales 70/30 across eBay/BO, I may be pushing it on the items. I have talked to an eBay rep, and he recommended I call back later this month and ask about raising the limits. He also said if I get denied then and find myself approaching the limits come first week of October, to give them another call ... looking at my account, he said I should have no issues then.

PayPal holds are not an issue for me, even 21 days.

Thanks for the insight. Sincerely appreciated.
Latest status: I called eBay on my way into work this morning, and was able to convince the guy to increase my limits to 250 items and $7,000 per month, after I was denied two weeks ago. Small victory for ol' c-dork, should get me through this break.

Thanks again to kat_nellie for bringing this to my attention.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #95 (permalink)

Counting down to the Update release, 6 days to go! I feel about 90% prepared for the break, both mentally and w/r/t materials acquired. I will be attempting to chronicle my experience as best as possible, from the perspective of a newb trying to rip-and-flip for profit (as opposed to just a leisurely breaker). Here is a quick summary of what I have learned thus far:

When buying bubble mailers, eBay is the way to go. I used seller "ecoswift" to purchase 500 #000 ($0.07 apiece) and 250 #00 bubble mailers ($0.11 apiece). Some have cited issues with the mailers not being very adhesive, and I have seen that on a couple of the #000 mailers, but a 6" piece of packing tape takes care of that.
Blowout is a cheap, reliable source for supplies. I haven't done too much investigation on this front, but I ordered all my baseball-specific supplies (cardboard boxes, top loaders, penny sleeves, and team bags) from BO, and received my order quickly with free shipping (just over $150). When I found myself in need of a different size of cardboard boxes earlier this week, turns out Blowout was the cheapest online source, even with the UPS Ground shipping charge.
A shipping label printer, specifically the Brother QL-700, is worth every penny. I have only used mine a few times so far, but it is awesome. Will come in very handy next week using PayPal "Multi-Order Shipipng" option.
BO user Tyler is the man when it comes to eBay and shipping questions. Don't need to say much, just read this thread. Also contains an excerpt on how to set up and use the QL-700.
And finally ... Brent Williams is an incredibly good guy. I would not be prepared for this break if it weren't for the honest and helpful articles he's written, and for the time he has taken to field my questions and provide one-on-one advice.

That's it for now ... if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help. Otherwise, stay tuned for pictures of my son pulling the Bryce Harper Solid Gold Futures card.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #96 (permalink)

Good luck to you! I am expecting this to be a pretty good ROI product. The sets are selling for less than usual, but I expect other items to be more than usual. I really expect the golds to bring a premium this year since they are all stuffed into one release. There will be an abundance of them, but with set collectors trying to do all 990 at one time the premium price should be there IMO. With a couple of nice hits thrown in, I think the ROI could be higher than some people expect.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
Good luck to you! I am expecting this to be a pretty good ROI product. The sets are selling for less than usual, but I expect other items to be more than usual. I really expect the golds to bring a premium this year since they are all stuffed into one release. There will be an abundance of them, but with set collectors trying to do all 990 at one time the premium price should be there IMO. With a couple of nice hits thrown in, I think the ROI could be higher than some people expect.
Your user name + your location/avatar = I know who you are now, lol. Good luck selling your sets, I am almost done so you can raise your price a little if you'd like

I hope you are right about the golds ... for my projections I have been very conservative, but that's the one area I could see things getting a little crazy.

If you have any needs (e.g. completing sets) after the break, feel free to hit me up.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #98 (permalink)

Brent tweeted Topps about releasing a checklist before Wednesday. Their response was we'll see what we can do.

Last edited by edclay; 09-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
Brent tweeted Topps about releasing a checklist before Wednesday. Their response was we'll see what we can do:rolleyes
Yeah, I saw that ... seems about par for the course.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #100 (permalink)

Just a purely hypothetical question ... what if my cases happen to arrive the day before the "official" release date?