Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to free2131

For my 15th birthday my mother bought me a Cal Ripken signed 8x10 and a Cal Ripken signed ball. Probably the WORST fakes I have ever seen. I didn't know that at the time, but obviously as I got more educated about what his signature looked like I did.

My mother loved me and wanted to me make my birthday extra special. She is very well educated (4 year college degree) and still was taken by the scumbag LCS (who is thankfully out of business now and working as a janitor). I would have loved it if someone in the know would have helped my mom out back then.
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddy Collector View Post
See above one post.
Show me where I am defending this seller.

See post #8

May not be defending a particular seller but it shows you stand up for them. Better analogy?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingJustin View Post
See post #8

May not be defending a particular seller but it shows you stand up for them. Better analogy?
So Im clear, me stating that I think its the buyers responsibility to do their research is me defending a seller? Wow

I still have yet to see proof of this Harper being a fake. Do I have my opinion whether it is real or not? Sure, but I havent stated my opinion because I havent proven it one way or another.
Cuddy Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Serious question here, below is what you will find on the majority of eBay Autograph Auctions. Why does the collecting community feel the need to warn of every Tom, Dick and Harry seller of potential "fake autographs" when eBay clearly lays out the below before you submit your bid?
If an item, as you have posted, is so fake, its the buyers fault for not doing the research (see below), and no one elses. Just my $.02 worth.
You're right, you're not defending the seller, just implying that these threads are pointless because if someone gets taken by a scammer, it's their fault for being stupid.

So, according to your POV, if a scammer wants to prey on people, we should let them and not warn others. How can a rational, logical person not see the ridiculousness of that post?
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
For my 15th birthday my mother bought me a Cal Ripken signed 8x10 and a Cal Ripken signed ball. Probably the WORST fakes I have ever seen. I didn't know that at the time, but obviously as I got more educated about what his signature looked like I did.

My mother loved me and wanted to me make my birthday extra special. She is very well educated (4 year college degree) and still was taken by the scumbag LCS (who is thankfully out of business now and working as a janitor). I would have loved it if someone in the know would have helped my mom out back then.
Sorry to hear that, I know that your mother was doing her best for a child she loves and cares about.

Serious question here to the bolded, how do you think your mother would find someone in the "know"? Would she know to come to blowout (or any other forum for that matter), make a user name, sign in, make a post, know to have taken a picture, upload it and know what questions to ask?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #31 (permalink)

Albert Pujols autograph photo | eBay

Albert Pujols hand signed photo | eBay

^fake pujols

2012 Topps Gypsy Queen Autographs Albert Pujols Auto BGS 9 "Pop 2" | eBay

^real pujols

no opinion needed.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #32 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Cuddy Collector;3309360]Sorry to hear that, I know that your mother was doing her best for a child she loves and cares about.

Serious question here to the bolded, how do you think your mother would find someone in the "know"? Would she know to come to blowout (or any other forum for that matter), make a user name, sign in, make a post, know to have taken a picture, upload it and know what questions to ask?[/
QUOTE]

serious question for the bolded part... are you serious?

his mother could have went to a reputable local card shop and had them purchase a ripken auto inserted by topps. or a 8x10 authenticated by PSA/DNA/JSA.

most mom's don't know these things... why would you expect them to?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #33 (permalink)

[QUOTE=VWBUS1978;3309398]
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, I know that your mother was doing her best for a child she loves and cares about.

Serious question here to the bolded, how do you think your mother would find someone in the "know"? Would she know to come to blowout (or any other forum for that matter), make a user name, sign in, make a post, know to have taken a picture, upload it and know what questions to ask?[/
QUOTE]

his mother could have went to a reputable local card shop and had them purchase a ripken auto inserted by topps. or a 8x10 authenticated by PSA/DNA/JSA.

And it's his mom's fault for being stupid enough to buy a fake auto...but it's ok for the person that took advantage of her...according to cuddy, that is!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
warn of every Tom, Dick and Harry seller of potential "fake autographs"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
You're right, you're not defending the seller, just implying that these threads are pointless because if someone gets taken by a scammer, it's their fault for being stupid.

So, according to your POV, if a scammer wants to prey on people, we should let them and not warn others. How can a rational, logical person not see the ridiculousness of that post?
You blew by the most important part of my quote, I have cleared all other nonsense out so you can see where I am coming from, maybe, maybe not.

I stated from the beginning, POTENTIAL "FAKE AUTOGRAPHS". 99.9% of the posters in this thread "believe" it to be fake. I have yet for one person to prove its a fake.

If there is proof that a seller is selling fake autos, then by all means out them. However, for this particular seller (Im sure I will be noted as defending them ), no one has shown proof they are fakes. People are saying they are reporting them, but what proof is there? Im not trying to be hard headed here, but that is like saying a person is guilty before they have gone to trial. You all call someone out before you have proof, that is unfair. If there was proof, I would be with you with pitchfork in hand. But without that proof, you are merely stating an opinion on a belief.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #35 (permalink)

[QUOTE=nhsportsguy;3309412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post

And it's his mom's fault for being stupid enough to buy a fake auto...but it's ok for the person that took advantage of her...according to cuddy, that is!
Because LCS and the internet are the same thing.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #36 (permalink)

So, who wants to buy one and send it into PSA to have the much needed "proof" that it is fake?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
exactly, it sounds like ole cuddy had an "issue" with something similar in his life before. maybe he learned the hard way? maybe he has the "autograph forger's stockholm syndrom" ?

i know when i start faking auto's, i hope cuddy is still here to get my back.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #38 (permalink)

Do you read entire posts before replying or just what suits your needs?

OP to my reply stated the following: "I would have loved it if someone in the know would have helped my mom out back then."

I asked their opinion to what they posted.

[QUOTE=VWBUS1978;3309398]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
So, who wants to buy one and send it into PSA to have the much needed "proof" that it is fake?
If you all want to be the hero here, just send it via quick opinion.
However that costs money and its cheaper to call someone out without proof than doing all of the fact finding first which costs money out of your pocket and what do you have to show for it in the end?

Not that this is a court room, but this case would have been thrown out from the get go as all anyone here is doing is stating opinions, not facts.

I will applaud anyone that proves these to be fakes, but until that time, those of you that are outting the seller are outting them without proof.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

so cuddy... did you blow by these posts????
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
So Im clear, me stating that I think its the buyers responsibility to do their research is me defending a seller? Wow

I still have yet to see proof of this Harper being a fake. Do I have my opinion whether it is real or not? Sure, but I havent stated my opinion because I havent proven it one way or another.
So let me get this straight before I really put the palm to my head, are you arguing that every autograph on ebay is real because they aren't proven to be fake? Well what about proof that its real? Uhh like a COA are those worth more? If so I have about a thousand Michael Jordan Autos with COA's for $100 each, you want in?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
However that costs money and its cheaper to call someone out without proof than doing all of the fact finding first which costs money out of your pocket and what do you have to show for it in the end?

Not that this is a court room, but this case would have been thrown out from the get go as all anyone here is doing is stating opinions, not facts.

I will applaud anyone that proves these to be fakes, but until that time, those of you that are outting the seller are outting them without proof.
why don't you pay for it... then let us know.

we ALREADY KNOW they are 100% FAKE
we all own auto's of these players, we have seen them 1000's of times.
you act like we are in 10th grade and know absolutely nothing about the cards and memorabilia we collect.

if they come back as authentice, i will applaud you for being correct. now run off and come back when you have proof they are real.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:

If this was a court room it wouldn't have been thrown out since they would have an actual reputable autograph authenticator, to prove if it is fake or not. So you'll applaud someone if they send it to PSA and it comes back as a fake?

So you think everyone should give this guy money, then spend more money on authentication? To find out it is a fake. I thought this was what we were trying to help other members avoid?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #44 (permalink)

In all honesty.. if someone really wants to stop that guy...

JSA sets up at the local card show I do every month.. I know Spence Jr and could get a rejection letter pretty easily..

Buy one of these.. ship it to me with $7.. and I will ship back the rejected item...

if you guys want to act on it
Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:

You truly are a one of a kind moron
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Is this guy Guy Really that DUMB??
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingJustin View Post
So let me get this straight before I really put the palm to my head, are you arguing that every autograph on ebay is real because they aren't proven to be fake? Well what about proof that its real? Uhh like a COA are those worth more? If so I have about a thousand Michael Jordan Autos with COA's for $100 each, you want in?
No a COA does not make it real, but a PSA Quick Opinion, WHICH IS OFFERED BY EBAY, is as close as one can get to stating it is real.

Again, people can call any IP type auto a fake without getting a PSA quick opinion.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
If this was a court room it wouldn't have been thrown out since they would have an actual reputable autograph authenticator, to prove if it is fake or not. So you'll applaud someone if they send it to PSA and it comes back as a fake?

So you think everyone should give this guy money, then spend more money on authentication? To find out it is a fake. I thought this was what we were trying to help other members avoid?
Jesus Christ, thats what eBay offers, PSA QUICK OPINION

My original post showed what eBay suggested to buyers, if not sure about an auto, they can use this service.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #49 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Cuddy Collector;3309451]
Quote:

Because LCS and the internet are the same thing.
Yes they are, really. It is just as against the law to sell an autograph you know is not real on the internet as it is at your LCS...
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Serious question here, below is what you will find on the majority of eBay Autograph Auctions. Why does the collecting community feel the need to warn of every Tom, Dick and Harry seller of potential "fake autographs" when eBay clearly lays out the below before you submit your bid?

If an item, as you have posted, is so fake, its the buyers fault for not doing the research (see below), and no one elses. Just my $.02 worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Autograph Buying Tips: eBay requires sellers who promote listings with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) to provide details about the certificate including the name of the issuing party. Listings that don’t comply are in violation of eBay policy and may not be covered by eBay services such as feedback and purchase protections.

Before you buy, use this checklist to help you get the autograph that you want!

# Read the listing carefully. Make sure you’re comfortable with the description and image of the item.

# Get an Expert opinion. Before you buy, use the "Quick Opinion" service to get the opinion of a qualified expert (for a nominal fee).

# Seek a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from a prominent authenticator. Some authenticators are considered more credible with the industry and collectors. At a minimum, make sure the COA issuer has a proven track record of experience and integrity.

# Check the seller's feedback rating and ask questions. Don’t hesitate to ask the seller about their reputation or how they came to possess an item.

# Be aware of "reprints". Sellers may sell reproductions of original autographs, but are required to disclose that they are reprints. Look for other reprint names like “print” or “copy” in the item description.

# Do your research. Find out what an athlete’s signature looks like and remember, “If it seems too good to be true,” it probably is.
Quote:
You must have skipped every single bullet point above, this one in particular, "Do your research. Find out what an athlete’s signature looks like and remember, “If it seems too good to be true,” it probably is."

If as a buyer you are "less informed" then you should not be shelling out your hard earned dollars, or mommy and daddys, without some sort of research. That sir is what is ridiculous.
Quote:
You blew by the most important part of my quote, I have cleared all other nonsense out so you can see where I am coming from, maybe, maybe not.

I stated from the beginning, POTENTIAL "FAKE AUTOGRAPHS". 99.9% of the posters in this thread "believe" it to be fake. I have yet for one person to prove its a fake.

If there is proof that a seller is selling fake autos, then by all means out them. However, for this particular seller (Im sure I will be noted as defending them ), no one has shown proof they are fakes. People are saying they are reporting them, but what proof is there? Im not trying to be hard headed here, but that is like saying a person is guilty before they have gone to trial. You all call someone out before you have proof, that is unfair. If there was proof, I would be with you with pitchfork in hand. But without that proof, you are merely stating an opinion on a belief.
Quote:
No a COA does not make it real, but a PSA Quick Opinion, WHICH IS OFFERED BY EBAY, is as close as one can get to stating it is real.

Again, people can call any IP type auto a fake without getting a PSA quick opinion.
Has anyone else noticed how Cuddy's opinion has gone from "all buyers that get taken are stupid, and it makes no sense to warn other community members of scamming," to "someone prove it's fake"?

Congratulations on deflecting everyone's initial point that if you feel as though community members shouldn't warn others of potential scams, you sir, should leave this thread, this board, this hobby. You have no place here.