Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default what happens if there is a tie for the division?

I know if there is a tie for the wildcard there is a 1 game playoff to determine who gets the wildcard slot but what if there is a tie for the division lead.

In the past, if both teams would have made it in they went by head to head record to determine division winner vs wildcard but obviously the wildcard is a huge disadvantage now.

I assume they would have a 1 game playoff with the winner being the division champ and the loser getting the wildcard (if they both would be in the playoffs anyway) or in the case where it is division winner and going home, winner takes the division, loser goes home.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

From the ever-reputable Wikipedia:

Starting in 2012, with the new one-game play-in game for the two wild card teams in determining the #4 seed in playoffs, if two teams tie for a division title and would both be in the playoffs, a one-game playoff would be held because it would determine which team receives the bye in the playoff, and if the winning percentage of the losing team is still enough to be a #1 or #2 wild card, the loser would be the said wild card.

So it would appear that you are correct

Source: One-game playoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Playoffs are Cancelled
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'll never forget ... the 2008 season, I was in a really competitive roto baseball league. I was in the lead by 0.5 points at the end of the regular season, except for there was that "one-game playoff" between the tied-up White Sox and Twins. The guy behind me had John Danks, who pitched 8 shutout innings, which brought the guy's season ERA down just enough to gain another point, enough to pass me. I argued until I was blue in the face that the stats shouldn't have counted since this game was not part of the regular season ... turns out, I was wrong.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I'll never forget ... the 2008 season, I was in a really competitive roto baseball league. I was in the lead by 0.5 points at the end of the regular season, except for there was that "one-game playoff" between the tied-up White Sox and Twins. The guy behind me had John Danks, who pitched 8 shutout innings, which brought the guy's season ERA down just enough to gain another point, enough to pass me. I argued until I was blue in the face that the stats shouldn't have counted since this game was not part of the regular season ... turns out, I was wrong.
Holy smokes...that is brutal