Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
I'm 100% with you guys! Sure, there won;t be any base autos going for a couple hundred right off the bat, but this will be another year that people kick themselves for not buying early!! I'm all about this checklist!
buying early? you mean before spring training next season after it bottoms below 600 right? if youre suggesting bowman chrome will rise after release that would be a first. lets revisit this thread on black friday...
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
Major_League's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
buying early? you mean before spring training next season after it bottoms below 600 right? if youre suggesting bowman chrome will rise after release that would be a first. lets revisit this thread on black friday...
This....
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
Major_League's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horton View Post
I think Austin will sell for more then Hamilton I would put him in the top group.
Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox34 View Post
Only cards that interest me are the castellanos and the billy hamilton
I would avoid prospecting if this was my view of that list.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
pigeonsbaseball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 865
Default

It's fun to speculate and I'm always interested in reading everyone's opinions but while there's certainly some folks who are knowledgeable enough to handicap the young guys, no one really knows and it could be 2 or 3 years before this set takes off.

If all this was so easy to predict there would have been a lot more people sitting on cases of 2011 BDPP(and 2010, 2009, etc) instead of wishing they had bought them while they were cheap.

As we all know it only takes 1 or 2 guys to blow the prices through the roof....
__________________
Buying: Flawless Jumbo Patch Cards
Wanted: Greg Monroe Logoman, Bill Walton Flawless HOF
Eddie Rosario: 2012 Bowman Chrome Red Ref /5
2013 Bowman/5 Auto,2013 Tribute WBC Patch, All 1/1's.
pigeonsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #80 (permalink)
Member
 
Major_League's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
It's fun to speculate and I'm always interested in reading everyone's opinions but while there's certainly some folks who are knowledgeable enough to handicap the young guys, no one really knows and it could be 2 or 3 years before this set takes off.

If all this was so easy to predict there would have been a lot more people sitting on cases of 2011 BDPP(and 2010, 2009, etc) instead of wishing they had bought them while they were cheap.

As we all know it only takes 1 or 2 guys to blow the prices through the roof....
Very very true sir
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
If all this was so easy to predict there would have been a lot more people sitting on cases of 2011 BDPP
2011 bowman draft was hardly a secret, it had winner written all over it right from the start as did 2010.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #82 (permalink)
Member
 
Major_League's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
2011 bowman draft was hardly a secret, it had winner written all over it right from the start as did 2010.
You are so right. Problem is you were the only one with enough balls to bust iN huge qty at the right time. Good on you sir!

Last edited by Major_League; 09-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
You are so right. Problem is you were the only one with enough balls to bust iN huge qty at the right time. Good on you sir!
yah because i, like most others cant afford to sit on it long term. i'm sure there were a ton of people that knew 2011 dp was a monster before it shot up. however, most people either dont have the funds or patience to sit on cases
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #84 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Not a chance.



I would avoid prospecting if this was my view of that list.
But but but but but they are for my PC and they look cooooooooool
__________________
http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s409/dbottalico/Baseball%20Cards/

Instagram: WallStreetCards
Dbott1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
wesnilevirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
yah because i, like most others cant afford to sit on it long term. i'm sure there were a ton of people that knew 2011 dp was a monster before it shot up. however, most people either dont have the funds or patience to sit on cases
I bought 20 cases of this and busted them all...too bad I sold all my trouts so early for, in retrospect, pennies on the dollar

Don't regret it though, it was a blast ripping them, and I haven't sold any of the autos or prospect lots yet...that being said, I probably could have made 6 grand easy if I didn't break them!!!!
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #86 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,002
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

I would say Castellanos, Hamilton and Soler will be the highest $$$ sellers out of the gate. Castellanos is a huge name, with a good team - Hamilton had all the SB news around him all year so everyone knows his name, and Cubs fans are crazy for their prospects and Soler could be a stud, so I am guessing he will sell really well too.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #87 (permalink)
Member
 
VWBUS1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 5,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
I would say Castellanos, Hamilton and Soler will be the highest $$$ sellers out of the gate. Castellanos is a huge name, with a good team - Hamilton had all the SB news around him all year so everyone knows his name, and Cubs fans are crazy for their prospects and Soler could be a stud, so I am guessing he will sell really well too.
well, you will get to pick one of those guys for your #2 pick houdini's 10 caser.

can't wait until this break!
__________________
the fact that we exist, in a universe of sheer randomness, is scientific proof that there are aliens.
we are the aliens.
i can say that with 100% accuracy.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #88 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,002
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
well, you will get to pick one of those guys for your #2 pick houdini's 10 caser.

can't wait until this break!
Very true. Who to choose, who to choose
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #89 (permalink)
Member
 
CALVINXLIONSX81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,083
Default

Im excited for the Avisail and Castellanos,
__________________
Dream Card - Purchased!
Ziggy is the Ansah!
CALVINXLIONSX81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Regardless of Jaypers, list its a solid list. He wont even break it down for you and thats his prerogative, but you guys should form your own opinions not base it off of him especially without back up.

The main guys: Hamilton, Skaggs, Castellanos....some would put Soler and Marisnick in here. Maybe even Austin or Singleton but I would say the top 3 is set


Tier 1: Skaggs, Hamilton, Castellanos
Tier 2: Soler, Austin, Singelton, Marsincik, maybe Paxton, I would put Buckel here since I am a fan boy
Tier 3: Buckel, Santana, Campos, Guzman, Mazarra, May, Head, Villanueva, Cigrani, ODor

I mean Tier 3 is loaded cuz you got guys like Garcia and Ozuna too.
people really think highly of billy hamilton? I mean he isn't worthless, but he has zero ceiling and like callis stated, hardly any of the guys to steal that many bases in milb ever did anything in the majors, preseason campos was going to be the best guy price-wise (just because he's a yankee) and I bet people go crazy for soler thinking he will immediately be sweet just like cespedes, this is a darn good list for BC, it's got nothing on 2011 draft, nor will any list for 10 years probably, did someone say they have a 26+ percent of getting a junk auto in that set? really, who are they? the worst part of this list is all of the latino guys that we literally know nothing about, not really, they all probably have high ceilings, but many of them could be the next profar or the next angel villalona

at some point from the release and now, a huge portion of the low end autos could have been sold for $10, whether at or now that they've become more hyped, if you count michael fulmer, kyle crick, snell, stephenson, etc in that low end list then yeah I guess...
__________________
SET or PLAYER collectors? Check out my inventory:

http://marketplace.beckett.com/thescoutscards_1260
thescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnilevirus View Post
I bought 20 cases of this and busted them all...too bad I sold all my trouts so early for, in retrospect, pennies on the dollar

Don't regret it though, it was a blast ripping them, and I haven't sold any of the autos or prospect lots yet...that being said, I probably could have made 6 grand easy if I didn't break them!!!!
I "knew" that it was going to be one of the best sets in forever, I was absolutely "sure" of it. I bought 5 cases and you need to understand one year ago I wasn't really that into the card game either, but I dropped 3350 or whatever on 5 cases and sat on them for months, hid them in a closet and would think about how I didn't ever want to bust them. Finally after they kept DROPPING in price I just decided that apparently I had no idea what I was doing and in february I went to a card show and was able to sell the boxes until i got my money back, which was $3300 that I had invested so that's a lot of money and it was hurting my ability to buy any singles because I thought I'd have flipped it for a $1000 profit easy by then.

Well....I was right. It's a great set and I could have made several hundred a case, but the fact it took a lot of the no-name guys getting more hype in-season and guys like bauer going off to really jump the price makes me wonder if I'll ever want to wait 9 months to profit 30-40 percent on something like that again...IF it all works out. Obviously I'm not scoffing at the profit percentage.
__________________
SET or PLAYER collectors? Check out my inventory:

http://marketplace.beckett.com/thescoutscards_1260
thescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #92 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 285
Default

I think if the Reds have a strong post season, Billy Hamilton's auto could do even better than some people expect. I know this could be said for any prospect that belongs to a team in the postseason. But I think there could be untapped juice behind the hype Billy Hamilton has already created. And I'm fully aware he isn't with the big league club this season. However, I can see his name thrown around during post season broadcast quit a bit. I'm sure there is some sponsors paying for his name to be mentioned as much as possible.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
people really think highly of billy hamilton? I mean he isn't worthless, but he has zero ceiling and like callis stated, hardly any of the guys to steal that many bases in milb ever did anything in the majors, preseason campos was going to be the best guy price-wise (just because he's a yankee) and I bet people go crazy for soler thinking he will immediately be sweet just like cespedes, this is a darn good list for BC, it's got nothing on 2011 draft, nor will any list for 10 years probably, did someone say they have a 26+ percent of getting a junk auto in that set? really, who are they? the worst part of this list is all of the latino guys that we literally know nothing about, not really, they all probably have high ceilings, but many of them could be the next profar or the next angel villalona

at some point from the release and now, a huge portion of the low end autos could have been sold for $10, whether at or now that they've become more hyped, if you count michael fulmer, kyle crick, snell, stephenson, etc in that low end list then yeah I guess...
He has no ceiling? Keith Law and BA have him as the 27th best prospect in baseball.
So I really dont know what you are talking about, and Id like to see where Callis said hes gonna be useless because he steals.
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #94 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,002
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Billy Hamilton will sell well because of the hype he received during this year - it doesnt matter how good of a prospect he actually is.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Billy Hamilton will sell well because of the hype he received during this year - it doesnt matter how good of a prospect he actually is.
Which is what I meant, you break records, you sell.

But hes a good prospect, a top 30 one for that matter. Who is also the fastest baseball player on the planet.
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #96 (permalink)
Member
 
greenjdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,898
Default

Billy will sell well, probably not the best investment though... i think thats the point....

i agree, this is a deep class and a prospectors wet dream...

but riddle me this bat man.... if you are waiting to buy up all the bowman chrome on black friday....where are you gonna have the flow to buy bdpp the day BEFORE Thanksgiving... decisions, decisions, decisions
__________________
BDPP spots Dave/Houdini
129,162, 184, 199, 279, looking to move top 10 with pp
SCB bdpp pick 200 and 280
greenjdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #97 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 741
Default

Hamilton could be decent, but I dont see Rickey Henderson or Lou Brock. He is probably going to the outfield. When I see Hamilton, I think Vince Coleman (whose record he broke). Even back in the day,living in Saint Louis, never did I want to spend any money on Coleman's cards. I do like a bunch of other names on the list now that it is filled.
StlScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #98 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Regardless of Jaypers, list its a solid list. He wont even break it down for you and thats his prerogative, but you guys should form your own opinions not base it off of him especially without back up.

The main guys: Hamilton, Skaggs, Castellanos....some would put Soler and Marisnick in here. Maybe even Austin or Singleton but I would say the top 3 is set


Tier 1: Skaggs, Hamilton, Castellanos
Tier 2: Soler, Austin, Singelton, Marsincik, maybe Paxton, I would put Buckel here since I am a fan boy
Tier 3: Buckel, Santana, Campos, Guzman, Mazarra, May, Head, Villanueva, Cigrani, ODor

I mean Tier 3 is loaded cuz you got guys like Garcia and Ozuna too.

That's the beauty of this. Most of us can understand the tier concept. The challenge is to find guys other than tier one who will pay later like tier one! Also, avoid everyone's tier one who you think will bomb. I love prospecting... Nice list by the way...
StlScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #99 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsmoot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 5,060
Default

Hamilton is a good prospect, but speed doesn't sell baseball cards, chicks dig the long ball.

Signed,
Dee Gordon

I do think he will sell well due to the news around him, but there are others that when all is said and done could be the best seller in the set.
__________________
FAN OF: CHICAGO CUBS & DENVER BRONCOS

Last edited by bigsmoot2; 09-27-2012 at 08:50 PM.
bigsmoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
pkscards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Farmington, CT
Posts: 1,004
Default

I actually am really digging this checklist, though there maybe are a few too many 2* or 1* guys.

Castellanos, Skaggs, Hamilton, Austin, Soler, Singleton, Buckel, Cingrani, Paxton, Villanueva, Mazara, Garcia, Campos, Marisnick, Odor, Rutledge, May all pretty nice...

That being said, I'm a Red Sox fan...Boss Moanaroa and Williams Jerez??? Really? They could've gotten Keury de la Cruz or Brandon Workman or Henry Owens. Those guys stink.
__________________
Boston Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions!
pkscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.