Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #101 (permalink)

I'm curios what you guys think about the RC auto's. I think a Bryce Harper first bowman RC is going to be the best selling card in the set? Am I wrong in thinking that?

Instagram: WallStreetCards
Dbott1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbott1234 View Post
I'm curios what you guys think about the RC auto's. I think a Bryce Harper first bowman RC is going to be the best selling card in the set? Am I wrong in thinking that?
Harper's chrome RC logo auto is on the sell sheet for BDPP, not Chrome.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #103 (permalink)

I'm telling you guys.....austin is a sleeper prospect. The kid has potential to put up BIG numbers, and he's got a good attitude as well.
TheManChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #104 (permalink)

Yeah the whole RC auto thing has me so confused. The announcements are so damn vague :

Topps Announces Bryce Harper Rookie Card Plans
Topps unveils rookie auto plans for Bauer, Middlebrooks

From the sell sheets, it looks like Draft is certainly getting them (or at least a version for Yu Darvish and Bryce Harper), meanwhile Bowman Chrome is a big question mark.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #105 (permalink)
Banned

I'll sell every Billy Hamilton I have the week he's called up and never regret it. They won't go any higher than that.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
I'll sell every Billy Hamilton I have the week he's called up and never regret it. They won't go any higher than that.
i'm with you on that one. the problem i face is: do i pick hamilton (in houdini's draft) just cause he will sell well immediately. or do i select castellanos because he has the power, but high K rate. or do i go Soler because of the team he is on, but has limited statistical data.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #107 (permalink)

100% with you on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #108 (permalink)

Any thoughts on Brad Miller? I started picking up a couple of his cards. Seems like a decent prospect with room to develop. I'll probably be picking up his auto from this product.
LINK FOR THAT IS TO THE LEFT and UNDER MY AVATAR
TakaTanakaGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaTanakaGiant View Post
Any thoughts on Brad Miller? I started picking up a couple of his cards. Seems like a decent prospect with room to develop. I'll probably be picking up his auto from this product.
Low risk but probably low reward. Will have a good shot at making the majors, he's got a great bat, but not flashy enough to really be a star, especially in the card community.

I'd say go for it, he'll be cheap and will have a chance to gain a bit of value when he approaches the big leagues, which should be pretty soon. But I'd never imagine him as a real top prospect.
pkscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Harper's chrome RC logo auto is on the sell sheet for BDPP, not Chrome.
hultzen is on a sell sheet for bowman chrome

pineda was on the front of 2011 bdpp

they didnt announce the rookie autos til late last year right??

i suspect the rookie autos will be ssp
greenjdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #111 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to trouts2

picture of a skaggs mockup from Bowman's Facebook page

trouts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
He has no ceiling? Keith Law and BA have him as the 27th best prospect in baseball.
So I really dont know what you are talking about, and Id like to see where Callis said hes gonna be useless because he steals.
first, where did I say callis said he was "useless", in one of his chats he just made a remark about how the company he was in in the minors for having 100+ steals wasn't really a group of guys that ever did much in the majors

second, i won't even go look at what keith law rated a guy, but baseball america had him as #48 in the 2012 top 100 and if you are referencing the "mid-season update" that doesn't include guys from the recent draft so that's not a real number, but let's just assume he really was #27, go look at the past guys ranked 27

Chris Archer, Brett Wallace, Matt Laporta, Chris Marrero, Jose Tabata, Felix Pie

that's the kind of list of investments that would cause a national financial crisis if that's what everyone put their money on

when I hear people talk about a guy and all they talk about is how fast he is I immediately think of joey gathright
Old 09-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #113 (permalink)

So, I want some opinions, we know that harper, middlebrooks, bauer will have BC rookie autos (Topps said BH in all products, and Middlebrooks and Bauer in BC earlier). I would also think a very high likelihood of Yu and Cespesdes having them as well, but I think the wild card is Trout. He has been in a lot of the new releases with auto's (TTT, TC, Finest, etc.). I think if we see that prospect class with Harper, Trout, Yu, Middlebrooks, Cespesdes, Bauer and a handful of other BC could be an absolute monster of a product.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
first, where did I say callis said he was "useless", in one of his chats he just made a remark about how the company he was in in the minors for having 100+ steals wasn't really a group of guys that ever did much in the majors

second, i won't even go look at what keith law rated a guy, but baseball america had him as #48 in the 2012 top 100 and if you are referencing the "mid-season update" that doesn't include guys from the recent draft so that's not a real number, but let's just assume he really was #27, go look at the past guys ranked 27

Chris Archer, Brett Wallace, Matt Laporta, Chris Marrero, Jose Tabata, Felix Pie

that's the kind of list of investments that would cause a national financial crisis if that's what everyone put their money on

when I hear people talk about a guy and all they talk about is how fast he is I immediately think of joey gathright
That is your argument? Where he was ranked and using other players ranked at 27? Come on, you can do better than that.

So you dismiss Keith Law for whatever reason, make a silly comparison to BA because of Matt Laporta, and say the 2012 draftees werent included....well they were in Keith Laws (STILL 27) and even if they were added in BA, how far would be drop? 2-3 spots? IF that? What is wrong with Keith Law? Do you judge and work with prospects for a living like he does?

You obviously are bias here, you really have no reason to think he is gonna be Joey Gathright. I give you 2 major publications that say he is a top 30 prospect, and you cant defend it and cant even link me to what Jim Callis says?

He is a top 30 prospect in baseball, regardless of Vince Coleman or Joey Gathright or your off the wall group with Matt LaPorta. He is going to sell like crazy and be a solid major leaguer.

Feel free to look at BP, Minorleagueball and that stupid MLB.com list and see where Hamilton is as well.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #115 (permalink)

I don't understand the talk about Billy Hamilton "having a low ceiling" or being a bad investment. He is obviously not the next Rickey Henderson or Lou Brock. Everyone is looking at his stolen base record and thinking that is all he brings. You can't steal first base. This kid has gotten so much better with the bat since his first year and gets on base a lot. I think he has great potential and could a dangerous leadoff man for the Reds for years to come.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #116 (permalink)

Billy Hamilton at best is a Luis Castillo type
mwash1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #117 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwash1983 View Post
Billy Hamilton at best is a Luis Castillo type
Thank you future predictor.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #118 (permalink)

Do you think this at $735 a case is a better value than 2012 BDPP at $720?
hohlernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
Do you think this at $735 a case is a better value than 2012 BDPP at $720?
Without the auto checklist from draft it's hard to compare. But personally I prefer draft, I'm not big fan of all the veteran base you get in chrome.
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
That is your argument? Where he was ranked and using other players ranked at 27? Come on, you can do better than that.

So you dismiss Keith Law for whatever reason, make a silly comparison to BA because of Matt Laporta, and say the 2012 draftees werent included....well they were in Keith Laws (STILL 27) and even if they were added in BA, how far would be drop? 2-3 spots? IF that? What is wrong with Keith Law? Do you judge and work with prospects for a living like he does?

You obviously are bias here, you really have no reason to think he is gonna be Joey Gathright. I give you 2 major publications that say he is a top 30 prospect, and you cant defend it and cant even link me to what Jim Callis says?

He is a top 30 prospect in baseball, regardless of Vince Coleman or Joey Gathright or your off the wall group with Matt LaPorta. He is going to sell like crazy and be a solid major leaguer.

Feel free to look at BP, Minorleagueball and that stupid MLB.com list and see where Hamilton is as well.
I'm sorry, I'll start over, my argument is this:

Billy Hamilton is NOT going to be a good majorleague baseball player. There is no evidence to say he is, I couldn't even find a new list for law that didn't have hamilton 64 (after stealing 103 bases, hence proving even law thinks he's a gimmick). I bet someone thought Joey Gathright was going to be sweet too, don't feel too bad about your lack of ability to read a scouting report.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'll start over, my argument is this:

Billy Hamilton is NOT going to be a good majorleague baseball player. There is no evidence to say he is, I couldn't even find a new list for law that didn't have hamilton 64 (after stealing 103 bases, hence proving even law thinks he's a gimmick). I bet someone thought Joey Gathright was going to be sweet too, don't feel too bad about your lack of ability to read a scouting report.
He wont be a good baseball player, but you cant give me any evidence to say why not? I could post what Keith Law, Kevin Goldstein, Jim Callis and others say about him WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING, and you cant even tell me why he wont succeed?

You dont have an argument, it pointless just totally off. Also I dont think you know how to use the internet, here is the MIDSEASON list from Keith Law because the no one has done an season ending one yet, since the season ended last week, its funny you make a comment about me not being able to read yet you cant use Google?

Jurickson Profar of the Texas Rangers is the new No. 1 prospect in baseball - MLB - ESPN

This was done BEFORE he broke the record mind you.

This is what "gimmick" Keith Law said:

You saw the game-changing speed if you watched the Futures Game on Sunday, and you also saw why he might end up moving to second or, more likely, to center field. He looked stronger to me this year than he did last year, which will be key if he is going to keep his OBP up. The speed is great, but I'm trying not to overweigh it in these rankings. Michael Bourn stole 61 bases last year, yet added a bit more than seven runs of value on the bases, according to FanGraphs, so a reasonable expectation for Hamilton might be 9-10 runs a year, or about a win of value. He might be the most valuable fantasy prospect in the minors and is a very good prospect in the field, but there is a gap between those two values.

Silliest argument ever and YOU HAVE NO JUSITIFICATION ON WHY YOU THINK THIS! Joey Gathright! Matt LaPorta! Not being able to use Google.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
He wont be a good baseball player, but you cant give me any evidence to say why not? I could post what Keith Law, Kevin Goldstein, Jim Callis and others say about him WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING, and you cant even tell me why he wont succeed?

You dont have an argument, it pointless just totally off. Also I dont think you know how to use the internet, here is the MIDSEASON list from Keith Law because the no one has done an season ending one yet, since the season ended last week, its funny you make a comment about me not being able to read yet you cant use Google?

Jurickson Profar of the Texas Rangers is the new No. 1 prospect in baseball - MLB - ESPN

This was done BEFORE he broke the record mind you.

This is what "gimmick" Keith Law said:

You saw the game-changing speed if you watched the Futures Game on Sunday, and you also saw why he might end up moving to second or, more likely, to center field. He looked stronger to me this year than he did last year, which will be key if he is going to keep his OBP up. The speed is great, but I'm trying not to overweigh it in these rankings. Michael Bourn stole 61 bases last year, yet added a bit more than seven runs of value on the bases, according to FanGraphs, so a reasonable expectation for Hamilton might be 9-10 runs a year, or about a win of value. He might be the most valuable fantasy prospect in the minors and is a very good prospect in the field, but there is a gap between those two values.

Silliest argument ever and YOU HAVE NO JUSITIFICATION ON WHY YOU THINK THIS! Joey Gathright! Matt LaPorta! Not being able to use Google.

SO THE LINK YOU SENT ME, which as I said doesn't include guys who haven't signed from the draft, you read it? You read this scouting report that says he would be good for about one WIN above replacement for year according to fangraphs. WOW MAN, you are right he could be a huge stud, I'm not going to post his report because it's "insider" and I'd be breaking the law by pasting it, but go read his report and as I said, you don't know how to read a scouting report.

HE WON'T BE GOOD IN THE MAJORS, I don't need to make an argument, all the people you keep referencing as professionals already state it.

I just read where you said this was written before he broke the record, LMAO. You actually think him stealing 100 bases in A ball is impressive don't you? LOL "THE RECORD" LOL LOL
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
SO THE LINK YOU SENT ME, which as I said doesn't include guys who haven't signed from the draft, you read it? You read this scouting report that says he would be good for about one WIN above replacement for year according to fangraphs. WOW MAN, you are right he could be a huge stud, I'm not going to post his report because it's "insider" and I'd be breaking the law by pasting it, but go read his report and as I said, you don't know how to read a scouting report.

HE WON'T BE GOOD IN THE MAJORS, I don't need to make an argument, all the people you keep referencing as professionals already state it.

I just read where you said this was written before he broke the record, LMAO. You actually think him stealing 100 bases in A ball is impressive don't you? LOL "THE RECORD" LOL LOL
1. Show me where the professionals said he wont be good in the majors.
2. Even if it includes recent draftees, that drops Hamilton to MAYBE 30-35, and thats doubtful because the class isnt that strong.

You keep spouting off LIES saying people say hes gonna suck BUT YOU WONT GIVE ME ANY SOURCES! PROVIDE SOURCES!

I quoted Keith Law who is a professional WHO NEVER SAID HE WONT BE GOOD IN THE MAJORS, unless you can not read, he does not say it.

I think, and EVERYONE ELSE thinks what Billy Hamilton did was impressive.

This is all a moot point, I have provided links, details, reports from people who do this for a living and you cant even respond with anything of substance

I will let you use my Insider account and BA account if you want, no stealing there, but you gotta prove to me you know how to read, can you do that? So far I am not sure :/

If you can, you can use my accounts and actually get reports to what you are saying, but I got bad news for you....they are gonna side with me.

Again, Hamilton is gonna sell like crazy when this drops which was my original point, but crazy trolls continue to deviate.

Let me know how that reading goes, I will give you my account info when you let me know
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:

I love the fact that you can just say someone is not going to be good. Everything that people say on the internet is true though, right? Okay let me try. Dylan Bundy is not going to be good. No argument, but so and so said he would be a bust. I hate to say it, but you are an idiot.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #125 (permalink)

OK MAN I'LL ADMIT IT, Billy Hamilton is BETTER at baseball than me. I'm not sure what you are reading that makes you think he is good at the major league level. He has zero ceiling. He will never develop anything except absolutely bottom of the scale "power", he needs to find a position and might be better than average at center or wherever. He doesn't really get on base all that well, especially not for a lead-off hitter in the cal-league. He can steal bases IF he gets on base, but in the majors that will be a LOT harder to do. People were ALL OVER Dee Gordon and obviously the normal people that know how to read knew he couldn't get on base, therefore...

What is billy hamilton good at? Other than speed, what are his qualities that are going to make him good at playing baseball? The reason that I don't like Law is that he apparently doesn't read his own scouting reports. When I read Callis, Manuel, KG, I feel like their reports line up with personal rankings (granted with BA there are several editors opinions that go into the top 100), but Law clearly doesn't think Hamilton has anything special other than some stupid record that could only be set in the Cal-League where you get 6 ABs a game and still ranks him 27 tbd even though he sounds like a number 60.

Once again though, number 27 for a guy at this point in his career, however is NOT impressive as I've stated before. If he was a guy we knew nothing about, yeah top 50 is impressive, but I'm not impressed by a guy who has stolen 100 bases twice and still a couple years away from his cup of coffee. Maybe he can go try and steal some bases in the AFL.