Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are card shows even worth it anymore?

Maybe it is just the card shows I go to but it seems like some dealers are asking outrageous prices.

Asked a guy about a Joe Terdoslavich auto he had, regular bowman platinum, sells for $2-$5 on ebay. I asked him the price and he said $20 then said he'd take $15. Another guy was asking $175 for a Heyward jersey auto that sells for $40-$50 on Ebay.

Another guy, who happens to be a friend of mine, is asking about $100 on cards that generally sell for $50 or so.

Maybe it's just me and the prices are warranted but it just seems a little odd. Anytime I buy stuff from a show I go and check the eBay prices when I get home and I can just about always buy them cheaper off of eBay (though not by much since I don't buy expensive cards).

Also, what are your thoughts/opinions on dealers that don't list prices? Personally, I hate having to ask about 5 or so cards I am interested in and then have to pass because their price is too high. I'd rather just be able to see it and pass lol.
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've been finding great deals on low end stuff at my shows, but the high end stuff is generally kinda expensive.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmcrushers View Post
Maybe it is just the card shows I go to but it seems like some dealers are asking outrageous prices.

Asked a guy about a Joe Terdoslavich auto he had, regular bowman platinum, sells for $2-$5 on ebay. I asked him the price and he said $20 then said he'd take $15. Another guy was asking $175 for a Heyward jersey auto that sells for $40-$50 on Ebay.

Another guy, who happens to be a friend of mine, is asking about $100 on cards that generally sell for $50 or so.

Maybe it's just me and the prices are warranted but it just seems a little odd. Anytime I buy stuff from a show I go and check the eBay prices when I get home and I can just about always buy them cheaper off of eBay (though not by much since I don't buy expensive cards).

Also, what are your thoughts/opinions on dealers that don't list prices? Personally, I hate having to ask about 5 or so cards I am interested in and then have to pass because their price is too high. I'd rather just be able to see it and pass lol.
Let me first start off by saying it's not just you. I have noticed this numerous amounts of times. The thing you have to understand though is this. There are table fees. Some sellers rip open so much wax they have to over price the cards they are selling and also you never know what the purchased the cards for.

There is always this one guy at the show I often go to that has his cards priced 2.5x's what the sell value is on Ebay. When he haggles he drop's the price to 2x's the sell value. I have mentioned what the cards sell for on Ebay and his response is "Don't like it, go buy on Ebay", as simple as that. It always boggled my mind to try and understand how they profit from the show's. I guess if they get a few people that don't know market values on a hot player/card they can get the asking price. Best bet is to just buy offline!
Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some sellers at shows aren't counting on you knowing the "ebay price". In my experience, most buyers don't know it. In the shows I've done, my listed price is usually a little higher than Ebay. However, one has to have room to give in negotiations.

The advantage to the buyer over Ebay is that you get the card right then, instead of having to wait a week for it to come in the mail.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do great both as a seller and a buyer at shows...
must be my area
celtics_fan_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Some have good prices. Good thing about buying cards at shows is you see the card first hand. I think vintage is a good buy at shows.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

They go by Book value. Most of these guys still carry a copy of the latest beckett like its the bible. They probably still think circuit city is around. Just walk away. Get what you want online like you can in any industry.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's hit or miss at these shows. I've been to few and had great deals, others not so much. The key is patience. If you pass on a deal, there always seems to be another at the next table.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

We have 2-3 a year in my area...

we had 200 people walk through...

Pretty fun

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's a no-win situation. I "retired" from doing shows in 2009 because I wasn't going to compete with ebay. Like someone above mentioned, I had $200 in expenses plus 33 hours of time when I did a mall show.

Meanwhile, a guy on ebay had none of these expenses. I couldn't compete and to be honest, didn't feel I had to. I still remember, way back in the day (2006 or 2007), a guy asked me the price of a football rookie auto (common player). I told him $7 or something like that. He said, " I can get that on ebay for $5." I said, "No problem, you can have it for $5 plus shipping which is $7." The one thing people don't think about is shipping when they quote ebay prices on low end cards.

Next time you want a card that sells at a show for $3 but can get it for $1 on ebay, ask yourself, "is it $1 delivered?" The odds are it is not.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Next time you want a card that sells at a show for $3 but can get it for $1 on ebay, ask yourself, "is it $1 delivered?" The odds are it is not.
Well said sir! Well said....
celtics_fan_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

As a seller at shows its worth every second

Straight cash homie
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

The thing I have noticed with shows that I go to, is that the newer stuff seems to be the stuff no one wants. I feel when someone opens a box of 2012 Bowman Chrome, if they get a big name auto, they get it on Ebay asap. I see a lot of lower end autos at shows in my area.

I do see a lot of over priced vintage too.

I have however come across some great deals at shows, well below ebay sales.

I do tell myself that if I feel its over priced, I can always turn to Ebay.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Gibraltor trade center show this weekend near me. Cecil Fielder 39.00 per autograph. Add 10.00 for the fat ass to inscribe it. Dennis Rodman 69.00 per and 25.00 for the psycho to inscribe. I'd love to take my kid and get him a Fielder auto but geez. I can buy one on ebay for under 20.00 Prices for signers have become ridiculous.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

[QUOTE=
Next time you want a card that sells at a show for $3 but can get it for $1 on ebay, ask yourself, "is it $1 delivered?" The odds are it is not.[/QUOTE]

I calculate that in mine. Like I said on the stuff I buy it isn't that bad. Usually buy the card at the show and find that the average sale plus shipping is only a few dollars cheaper.

It's the stuff I would like to buy usually mid -high end.

I find that some dealers have good/average prices and others have terrible.
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

i agree with you. i personally wasnt even able to find some cards to purchase at the National. THE NATIONAL!! and i pay fair-to-good prices on cards all the time on ebay, and above avg for rare/PC cards, but most dealers have them wayyy overpriced. it's discouraging to even try and negotiate a more fair price when the starting point is absurd IMO
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

For the most part, they haven't been worthwhile. I last time I went, I didn't spend a cent going through the card aisles. I went through the video game aisles for the first time and found a dealer with 90s wax. I was hoping to get a deal on something I couldn't afford when I was young but the guy wanted over ebay for stuff that has sat for so long there's a layer of dirt on all of it. He was telling me there's $1000 Gold Refractor Rookies in 1999 Finest football.

However, in extremely rare situations, I've also found my biggest steals at the same show. This is one of them:

It's more miss than hit, especially of late, but there may still be deals to be had.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

I love shows, almost more than anything in this hobby. Real interaction with collectors, buyers and other sellers is something I truly cherish. I have made so many friends from card shows that have been friends longer than 99.9% of my high school friends lasted. Networking is so important in this hobby/business. You can really h=only get so personal here on the boards without coming off as a total creep (I mean how many of you are going to give out your phone number to text another guy about cards to that you have never met).

As far as prices, you guys all have to know by now ebay is basically the bottom (other than people who try to rape you or quick sales). Ebay takes fees, card shows take fees, ect ect ect.

The bottom line is, I hope card shows stick around forever and hopefully end up getting bigger. Also, I can buy and sell with CASH like another member said. I don't have to worry about a certain percentage being taken out along with paypal watchdogging how much I "earn".
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

At a show you do have the ability to hold the card and really check it out before you buy, and that is a big plus for me. We don't have shows where I live and I really do miss them. I expect to pay more at a show and am willing to do so as long as it is not way out of line. A lot of the dealers do still go by book value, which has helped me on a lot of purchases. I found a bunch of star 1994 SP holo holoview dicuts in a $3 box at a show in Portland, OR and they sell for a good amount online. I guess you just have to know what you are willing to pay for an item. And one thing I will tell you, quoting EBay and searching items on your phone while in front of a dealers table will kill your negotiations.

Jeremy
hearseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

I set up at alot of shows and am promoting my own. Its worth it as long as your stuff is priced fairly.
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711 Cards View Post
They go by Book value. Most of these guys still carry a copy of the latest beckett like its the bible. They probably still think circuit city is around. Just walk away. Get what you want online like you can in any industry.
TVs, Computers, Cameras, GPS, Home Audio, Desktops, Laptops, Consumer Electronics, and More at CircuitCity.com
bwalter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Shows are great treasure hunts, even to this day!
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Coming strictly from a collector-only perspective, I get excited and look forward to upcoming shows (I've been counting down the days 'til Philly this weekend since mid-July). There are three here in Syracuse at the State Fairgrounds (January, April and October), and after I attended the '09 National in Cleveland, realized that the Syracuse shows didn't scratch the itch quite as hard anymore, so I started venturing out to Philly, Wilmington (MA) and this year, Edison (NJ). (We also went to the JP's Sports show in White Plains in May, but that show was AWFUL.) It's interesting to see the differing levels of how well each promotions company is able run their respective show.

I don't have an Ebay account, and love the fact that when I go to a show, I never know what I'll find. For me, all it takes for a show to be a success is to have at least one or two dealers with a monster box of $1-2 cert autos.

I love getting IP autos from the Syracuse Chiefs and their opponents, but after a long summer of getting burned out on Triple-A egos and attitudes, it's nice to relax, knowing that the fall card show "season" in the northeast is just starting up (along with Syracuse Crunch hockey and much friendlier AHL players!), with Philly this weekend, 'Cuse in 3 weeks, and Wilmington in 5 weeks.
Steve2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #24 (permalink)

We have a local show once a month on a Saturday. I hope to make the one in October to set up at a table w/ a friend. If I am lucky, I will sell enough to cover my half the table cost. Will there be buyers? dunno... but a lot of it for me is social. Just talking cards. Plus I will write down info and take phone numbers/emails and maybe drum up business I can do the rest of the month.

So I guess it depends on what your goals are? How far you have to drive? How much your time is worth? And these questions would be applicable to buyers AND sellers.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearseguy View Post
At a show you do have the ability to hold the card and really check it out before you buy, and that is a big plus for me. We don't have shows where I live and I really do miss them. I expect to pay more at a show and am willing to do so as long as it is not way out of line. A lot of the dealers do still go by book value, which has helped me on a lot of purchases. I found a bunch of star 1994 SP holo holoview dicuts in a $3 box at a show in Portland, OR and they sell for a good amount online. I guess you just have to know what you are willing to pay for an item. And one thing I will tell you, quoting EBay and searching items on your phone while in front of a dealers table will kill your negotiations.

Jeremy
Every single Show customer I have buys cards from me at the table for this reason. They describe having bad experiances online with cards being scratched or not as described. Several of my cards sell for less at a show than online, as well as the other way around. It's geographical really, but I will not get into that...Anyway I love doing shows on the east coast, and my customers love me doing shows...