Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Topps should worry about more important things, like their awful QC, customer service, and the fact that they hold back things like Harper red refractor autos.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Why doesnt topps stop calling people out and start packing advertised hits... or maybe find my 2012 Tribute Matt Kemp Tribute to the Stars auto they LOST!
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

why do they even go through distributors? why not just sell direct and contain full control like apple does?
foreverLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Brent said earlier this week that Topps had sent him some messages. To the point he has considered getting out of the business (he never said why - I am jumping to a conclusion).
They are beyond stupid if they don't realize the free advertising and interest Brent brings to their products. He probably single-handedly launched the Strasburg mini RC chase mania in 2010 A&G when he didn't get a single one in his 20 cases (or whatever it was).
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverLFC View Post
why do they even go through distributors? why not just sell direct and contain full control like apple does?
They probably prefer dealing with a relatively few vendors rather than thousands of card shops and big breakers.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
One of these days, Topps will finally realize that, if they don't want their customers to list their pulls earlier than the street date, the only feasible solution is to not ship product early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Bingo!!!
Really guys?

This is the same thing I got so pissed about with them in football and the kickoff redemption packs, they're not pissed at all, it was calculated, they'd be pissed if nobody sold them early.

It's marketing

By calling these places out it gets people talking about their product while at the same time making it look like they are looking out for the consumers.

They ship boxes all the time that arrive the day of or the day before releases, whenever they arrive so much more in advance it's done on purpose so they can "call out" these places that sell them early. It wouldn't shock me if they talked to TNT and asked them to do this, but at the same time I'm guessing they just bet that someone out there would do this anyways
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Really guys?

This is the same thing I got so pissed about with them in football and the kickoff redemption packs, they're not pissed at all, it was calculated, they'd be pissed if nobody sold them early.

It's marketing

By calling these places out it gets people talking about their product while at the same time making it look like they are looking out for the consumers.

They ship boxes all the time that arrive the day of or the day before releases, whenever they arrive so much more in advance it's done on purpose so they can "call out" these places that sell them early. It wouldn't shock me if they talked to TNT and asked them to do this, but at the same time I'm guessing they just bet that someone out there would do this anyways
I just don't see them being calculated enough to put this 'reverse psychology' strategy into practice.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Really guys?

It's marketing

Really Guy?

Don't agree with much of anything here...
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
One of these days, Topps will finally realize that, if they don't want their customers to list their pulls earlier than the street date, the only feasible solution is to not ship product early.
JP please take your logic and get the hell out of here!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I just don't see them being calculated enough to put this 'reverse psychology' strategy into practice.
Quote:
Really Guy?

Don't agree with much of anything here...
It's not that crazy of a thought, it was the very first thing I thought of when they first started calling people out for the kickoff packs

It's marketing, as simple as that

I went to school for four years at a great marketing school and have been working in it for a few years and it's the first thing I've thought of. Topps has WAY more experienced and smarter people than myself working in their marketing department, not even a little bit of a stretch to think they did this for that reason?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not that crazy of a thought, it was the very first thing I thought of when they first started calling people out for the kickoff packs

It's marketing, as simple as that

I went to school for four years at a great marketing school and have been working in it for a few years and it's the first thing I've thought of. Topps has WAY more experienced and smarter people than myself working in their marketing department, not even a little bit of a stretch to think they did this for that reason?
Topps pre-sells everything. They are sold out months before the product streets. So no stretch sorry.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Topps pre-sells everything. They are sold out months before the product streets. So no stretch sorry.
Per-selling had nothing to do with how early the product gets delivered in stores

99% of products arrive the day of or day before the street date, then a few random ones show up way early from Topps and they call people out for selling early

Why couldn't they ship those products the same way they and Panini and UD ship the rest of their products that arrive when they're supposed to?

Because its done on purpose.......
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Per-selling had nothing to do with how early the product gets delivered in stores

99% of products arrive the day of or day before the street date, then a few random ones show up way early from Topps and they call people out for selling early

Why couldn't they ship those products the same way they and Panini and UD ship the rest of their products that arrive when they're supposed to?

Topps doesn't need to do anything special to market Update--people will buy that every year, no matter what.

Not to mention that, like ML said, this isn't sold like a normal product.

I'm guessing some other LCS in that area who did what they were told complained to Topps about it. That's where the market dynamics come into play.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:

I think your degree has you looking for things that don't exist. Anyway, interesting take. We can agree to disagree
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Topps doesn't need to do anything special to market Update--people will buy that every year, no matter what.

Not to mention that, like ML said, this isn't sold like a normal product.

I'm guessing some other LCS in that area who did what they were told complained to Topps about it. That's where the market dynamics come into play.
Every product they make will sell every year

It's not that this will necessarily do anything for this specific product, it's all about brand awareness

Just like with the kickoff packs, they weren't even selling them, it's about getting people to talk about Topps in general, that's it

It really is a very simple marketing technique, not everything a company does is to increase the money they make on a specific product, it's about what it does for the company as a whole
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
I think your degree has you looking for things that don't exist. Anyway, interesting take. We can agree to disagree
LOL

You got it

I'm really not all that smart of a person, with my whole Cabrera arguments today, most if not all of it is personal opinion partially being swayed by my fandom

But this is something that I actually know and am very knowledgable about, there is a reason I went into marketing and a reason I'm good at it
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Every product they make will sell every year

It's not that this will necessarily do anything for this specific product, it's all about brand awareness

Just like with the kickoff packs, they weren't even selling them, it's about getting people to talk about Topps in general, that's it

It really is a very simple marketing technique, not everything a company does is to increase the money they make on a specific product, it's about what it does for the company as a whole
Yeah, I understand, but what does this ruse do for Topps brand awareness? Who is going to hear about this and didn't already know about Topps or Update?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Had to do it

Fitch McGee for the win!
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #44 (permalink)

Distributors and hobby shops, or anyone who buys direct from the manufacturers, typically get the products two business days before the release date. This is done on purpose so those resellers can get the product to collectors ON THE RELEASE DATE via UPS Ground or 2 Day Air. Some retailers are also lucky enough to get it early as well. (Blowout sometimes does)

Panini forces all case breakers to apply for "case breaker" status, they keep your name on file, your eBay store, and who you buy from. If a Panini case breaker sells before the release date, Panini can track down exactly where they got the product from, and prevent that distributor, or any distributor, from selling to that case breaker.

But Topps has traditionally let the market do whatever it wants. If they don't like what the market is doing then they can try to enforce rules in the same way Panini and UD do.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I understand, but what does this ruse do for Topps brand awareness? Who is going to hear about this and didn't already know about Topps or Update?
It has nothing to do with people who haven't heard of Topps or the specific product

Who hasn't heard of McDonalds or Coke?

Absolutely nobody

But they still do their marketing, they still do things that are built upon the purpose of solely driving discussions about their product/brand/industry, it's called brand awareness

This, right here, this is what Topps is trying to do, they're getting people to all about it, they're getting people to tweet about it, that is their end game with this.

Just because you know about Topps and/or their product doesn't mean it's top of mind for you, these type of marketing campaigns are meant to make them top of mind without looking like an active marketing campaign, which is why it absolutely kills me personally.

As someone in the hobby it pisses me off beyond belief

But as a marketer, it's an absolutely brilliant way of going about building brand awareness as it costs them literally nothing, not a single cent. All they do is ship a product they were already needing to ship a week early and then let things run their natural course
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #46 (permalink)

When you have an exclusive mlb license you do not need to market your product since you have essentially created a monopoly without competition. Nobody else can put out a similar product without the license.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #47 (permalink)

Or they can just keep selling 2011 Bowman retail boxes for $34.99 and people flip them all day for $59.99 on ebay...

Results for VM
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711 Cards View Post
When you have an exclusive mlb license you do not need to market your product since you have essentially created a monopoly without competition. Nobody else can put out a similar product without the license.
again, they're not marketing this product, they're building brand awareness and keeping it top of mind

they are WAAAAYYYY completely different things
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #49 (permalink)

i haven't seen any of these auction listings, but if they're auctions and not BIN/BO, maybe they could make the claim that they're not selling stuff early? If the auctions end after it streets tomorrow, no deals were ever consumated before the street date.

is it cool to list pulls before street? surely not, but i was just thinking out loud, if they wanted t play the semantics game.
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post

Panini forces all case breakers to apply for "case breaker" status, they keep your name on file, your eBay store, and who you buy from. If a Panini case breaker sells before the release date, Panini can track down exactly where they got the product from, and prevent that distributor, or any distributor, from selling to that case breaker.
I assume there is a minimum number of cases to qualify as a "case breaker"? I've never heard of this policy before and I know several locals who break Panini cases and sell on eBay. I've broken a few this year myself.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote