Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
I assume there is a minimum number of cases to qualify as a "case breaker"? I've never heard of this policy before and I know several locals who break Panini cases and sell on eBay. I've broken a few this year myself.
Actually there is no minimum number of cases that you have to break to qualify, at least that I notice. In fact I'm pretty sure anyone can qualify if you have a re-sell license. I applied a couple of months ago and all I had to do was send them a copy of my re-sell license as well as give them a statement with last years revenue.

I'm pretty sure if you buy from a distributor you have to apply and be accepted by Panini for case-breaker status or the distributor won't deal with you. At least that's what my distribution company told me when I originally applied.

Last edited by bmuelle21; 10-02-2012 at 11:52 PM.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
vwnut13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnick View Post
i haven't seen any of these auction listings, but if they're auctions and not BIN/BO, maybe they could make the claim that they're not selling stuff early? If the auctions end after it streets tomorrow, no deals were ever consumated before the street date.

is it cool to list pulls before street? surely not, but i was just thinking out loud, if they wanted t play the semantics game.
Give them a random ebay store name.
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
again, they're not marketing this product, they're building brand awareness and keeping it top of mind

they are WAAAAYYYY completely different things
A base Topps series needs brand awareness?

To who, starving peasants in Kenya?
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
A base Topps series needs brand awareness?

To who, starving peasants in Kenya?
I'm really not sure how many times I need to say this, it has absolutely nothing to do with this product, it has to do with Topps, not even Topps baseball, or Topps trading cards necessarily, just Topps.

And to who it would be towards even if it was for this product? It would be to exactly who buys it, those in the trading card hobby.

Everyone seems to think just because something is basic and something everyone should know about that they wouldn't market it. Do you not watch tv, or see billboards, or radio ads, or read magazines?

Everything is marketed, even if it's the most popular brand in it's industry, that's why you see ads for products like Coke and McDonalds, two of the most recognizable companies in the entire world, yet you still see ads for a Coca-Cola and a Big Mac.

But that's still not what this is about, it's about Brand Awareness and keeping them top of mind
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
CharlieHustle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
But that's still not what this is about, it's about Brand Awareness and keeping them top of mind
Topps having a Twitter account is "brand awareness".
Topps using that Twitter account to call out TNT is them publicly acknowledging that they are aware that someone is breaking one of their "rules".
In a sense, it's them saying "we know, we're working on it, now stop bothering us". It's definitely not a set-up stunt or whatever to drum up brand awareness. It's them saving face after making such a big deal of this last year.

Personally, if they are serious about enforcing this rule, I'd like to see them make an example out of TNT and fire a major warning shot.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
Topps having a Twitter account is "brand awareness".
Topps using that Twitter account to call out TNT is them publicly acknowledging that they are aware that someone is breaking one of their "rules".
In a sense, it's them saying "we know, we're working on it, now stop bothering us". It's definitely not a set-up stunt or whatever to drum up brand awareness. It's them saving face after making such a big deal of this last year.

Personally, if they are serious about enforcing this rule, I'd like to see them make an example out of TNT and fire a major warning shot.
But that's the whole point, the whole thing is to make them look good to those in the hobby, like they're protecting us and out to help us.

The Twitter account isn't brand awareness, it's one tool used to build their brand awareness, just like this whole ploy of theirs.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Win4Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,222
Default

__________________
Looking for DODGERS, Vin Scully, Hideo Nomo, and Yu Darvish autographs/memorabilia.
Win4Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
VWBUS1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 5,775
Default

the best part is, i was at my local wal-mart yesterday and guess what was stocked on the shelf ---- 10 blasters of update a dozen or so racks and a retail box (both already searched) i got a blaster and pulled a gold parallel from 6 out of 8 packs.
__________________
the fact that we exist, in a universe of sheer randomness, is scientific proof that there are aliens.
we are the aliens.
i can say that with 100% accuracy.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 17,754
Default

But how is this different then any of the people who list sets for sale before release its the same thing...but with TNT its funny they post their hits early but when it comes to shipping pre sale boxes it takes them a week...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
gamboooler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 4,168
Default

If you think Topps threatened brentandbecca to the point where he considered getting out of breaking cases for brand awareness, you are a simpleton. But good news, that probably makes you qualified to work for Topps.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
Can't "make" them unless they bought direct from Topps. These card companies are absolutely ridiculous. It's bad enough they either have a monopoly or semi-monopoly (depending on the sport) which allows them to control box prices while allowing them to ignore customer service, but they also want to restrict the actions of third-parties so that they align with their policies/strategies. It's fairly disgusting behavior.
This is no different than any other company that manufactures time sensitive products or promotions. Walmart cannot sell Black Friday deals on Wednesday (even if the shipment comes early) just like Target can't sell CDs on Monday when release is Tuesday; or movie theaters can't screen new movies on Thursdays; or an Apple store can't sell the iPhone 5 three days early and on and on. There is nothing "disgusting" about it.

Third party resellers must also abide. If I just so happen to know a shady Target employee who sells me new DVDs out the back door 5 days before release, you can bet the production companies would go after me to get to Target if they saw me publicly selling the DVDs on Saturday! They have every right to "make me" stop.

Running an eBay business, you take on the same responsibilities as a Target, Walmart, etc. I'm surprised Topps HASN'T already forced retail stores to stop putting product out early. I've taken advantage of early retail as much as the next guy, but I have no problem with Topps stepping up their enforcement. I would welcome a level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
If you think Topps threatened brentandbecca to the point where he considered getting out of breaking cases for brand awareness, you are a simpleton. But good news, that probably makes you qualified to work for Topps.
He was threatened because he opened a terrible case of Triple Threads and people flipped out about how bad TTT would be. Topps felt that Brent's case gave a false perception of the overall quality of the product. Brent only threatened to quit IF Topps didn't also enforce the rules with other breakers. TNT had to be called out this time...they were next in line anyway.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
FrankieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win4Vin View Post
LOL!!!
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
mainerunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
He was threatened because he opened a terrible case of Triple Threads and people flipped out about how bad TTT would be. Topps felt that Brent's case gave a false perception of the overall quality of the product. Brent only threatened to quit IF Topps didn't also enforce the rules with other breakers. TNT had to be called out this time...they were next in line anyway.


Wait, they threatened him for telling people what he got in his boxes? It is not his fault he got a horrible case. I dont even remotely see how that is on a similar level as selling before release date.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
gamboooler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 4,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
This is no different than any other company that manufactures time sensitive products or promotions. Walmart cannot sell Black Friday deals on Wednesday (even if the shipment comes early) just like Target can't sell CDs on Monday when release is Tuesday; or movie theaters can't screen new movies on Thursdays; or an Apple store can't sell the iPhone 5 three days early and on and on. There is nothing "disgusting" about it.

Third party resellers must also abide. If I just so happen to know a shady Target employee who sells me new DVDs out the back door 5 days before release, you can bet the production companies would go after me to get to Target if they saw me publicly selling the DVDs on Saturday! They have every right to "make me" stop.

Running an eBay business, you take on the same responsibilities as a Target, Walmart, etc. I'm surprised Topps HASN'T already forced retail stores to stop putting product out early. I've taken advantage of early retail as much as the next guy, but I have no problem with Topps stepping up their enforcement. I would welcome a level playing field.
It's not the same thing. Assuming TNT did not buy direct from Topps, TNT owes Topps nothing. There is no contract between TNT and Topps. Topps can go after the party that sold to TNT early (threatening to stop supplying them with product, fining them, etc.), but Topps can't make TNT remove their listings.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.