Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
Don't get me started on this.. I could rant on that all day. They have actually been keeping people lately though (Josh Johnson, Nolasco, etc etc)

They trade people they know they can replace.. like they did with Miguel Cabrera (I could rant on this forever) Dan Uggla and Cody Ross.. but they started keeping people around 2009.

They have already started talking about long term deals with Stanton even though they do not need to for about 3 years.
So they knew they could replace Miguel Cabrera? With who? Greg Dobbs, Wes Helms?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
So they knew they could replace Miguel Cabrera? With who? Greg Dobbs, Wes Helms?
sigh... Cabrera was traded in 2007.. long before dobbs ever played for the Marlins and I believe Helms left the team at the same time for the phillies

btw.. your homie Wilson Valdez came up with the Marlins

To answer the question.. they thought they would replace him with people like Jeremy Hermida (who they were waiting to bust out) Cameron Maybin (who they got in the trade) and others

What infuriates me about that deal to this day... they TURNED DOWN a dodgers offer of Matt Kemp, James Loney, Clayton Kershaw, and others..grrrrr
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
sigh... Cabrera was traded in 2007.. long before dobbs ever played for the Marlins and I believe Helms left the team at the same time for the phillies

btw.. your homie Wilson Valdez came up with the Marlins

To answer the question.. they thought they would replace him with people like Jeremy Hermida (who they were waiting to bust out) Cameron Maybin (who they got in the trade) and others

What infuriates me about that deal to this day... they TURNED DOWN a dodgers offer of Matt Kemp, James Loney, Clayton Kershaw, and others..grrrrr
Oh ok, so they THOUGHT they could replace him...not KNEW. Big difference there...because they clearly didn't know, judging by the results.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh ok, so they THOUGHT they could replace him...not KNEW. Big difference there...because they clearly didn't know, judging by the results.
Did you think I was defending them? I despise David Sampson on a personal, moral, and sports related level lol
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you think I was defending them? I despise David Sampson on a personal, moral, and sports related level lol
I don't know what you were doing, but your statement was based as if they factually knew they could replace Cabrera....which they clearly did not "know", based on the years following.

That's all...no more, no less.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know what you were doing, but your statement was based as if they factually knew they could replace Cabrera....which they clearly did not "know", based on the years following.

That's all...no more, no less.
you assumed wrong.. that's all.. no more, no less
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
you assumed wrong.. that's all.. no more, no less
My God...there was no assumption. Forget it...arguing logic with you is like arguing with a small child about the existence of Santa Claus.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
My God...there was no assumption. Forget it...arguing logic with you is like arguing with a small child about the existence of Santa Claus.
you lasted 4 posts only back handed trolling me before u came out of the closet.. a record?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #34 (permalink)

Miguel Cabrera was a 3B, still is actually, but you say the Marlins were gonna replace him with 2 outfielders?

How is that possible? Wilson Valdez listed 2 3B's and you mentioned 2 OF's.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Miguel Cabrera was a 3B, still is actually, but you say the Marlins were gonna replace him with 2 outfielders?

How is that possible? Wilson Valdez listed 2 3B's and you mentioned 2 OF's.
He played 3b in 2006-07.. he was a LF and RF before that. The Marlins had a guy named Mike Lowell before 06. I was also referring to his offensive out put not his defense.. he didn't have any defense lol
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
He played 3b in 2006-07.. he was a LF and RF before that. The Marlins had a guy named Mike Lowell before 06. I was also referring to his offensive out put not his defense.. he didn't have any defense lol
But WilsonValdez listed 3B who would replace Cabrera, but you listed OF's, and then started arguing with him. He played 2 full seasons at 3B before being traded, you cant say he was an OF anymore.

You never mentioned replacing him offensively, even though you misunderstood what he was saying you got mad at him?
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
But WilsonValdez listed 3B who would replace Cabrera, but you listed OF's, and then started arguing with him. He played 2 full seasons at 3B before being traded, you cant say he was an OF anymore.

You never mentioned replacing him offensively, even though you misunderstood what he was saying you got mad at him?
I didn't get mad at him.. he was trolling me.. he was baiting me to "start" with him so 5 more people could come in here and attack me for what I replied to him.. you are taking his bait lol
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Do you have a link? IIRC, Kershaw was untouchable. I never heard ANYTHING about that
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't get mad at him.. he was trolling me.. he was baiting me to "start" with him so 5 more people could come in here and attack me for what I replied to him.. you are taking his bait lol
Ughh...I just..I give up. It really is hopeless. Nowhere was anyone trolling you, I was trying to respond logically to your comment about another team in the MLB East, which I happen to follow.

Again...nothing more, nothing less. Everything doesn't have to be some greater conspiracy against you.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
Do you have a link? IIRC, Kershaw was untouchable. I never heard ANYTHING about that
it was a "rumor" on MLB trade rumors back in the day... I'm not sure it was ever "confirmed" but David Sampson later admitted to having "discussions" with the dodgers

there was another one that was admitted by the angels.. Howie Kendrick, Kendrys Morales, Ervin Santana and Jered Weaver.. I believe this broke down because the Angels wouldn't take Dontrelle Willis and the Marlins wouldn't take Joe Saunders... but the angels were "dumbfounded" when the Tiger deal happened.

Last edited by Imac7065; 10-03-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Imac7065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Ughh...I just..I give up. It really is hopeless. Nowhere was anyone trolling you, I was trying to respond logically to your comment about another team in the MLB East, which I happen to follow.

Again...nothing more, nothing less. Everything doesn't have to be some greater conspiracy against you.
and im sure that signature (and the thread you wrote about it) had absolutely nothing to do with me either.. I'm just being paranoid lol
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Stanton is a straight monster.
bazinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Because you assumed they marlins were "doing it again" and dumping everyone.. they weren't.

Getting Jacob Turner was a STEAL.. that guy has Ace stuff and will be a very very nice pitcher in the future.. I think he has like a 3.6 something ERA right now.. and he hasn't even had a full season yet.

Trading Hanley should have been done back when Miggy was traded to the Tigers.. they invested in the wrong guy. David Sampson didn't personally like Cabrera (citing his drinking) and for whatever reason loved Hanley. I think it's one of the biggest mistakes in Marlins history.

As for JJ.. the Marlins purposely asked for too much as they had no intention of dealing him.
If Jacob Turner still had ace stuff, the Tigers wouldn't have traded him and a catching prospect for a middle of the rotation pitcher and a journeyman utility player. Jacob Turner used to have ace stuff coming out of HS, but he hasn't shown anything close to that in over a year. Basically, he looks like the second coming of Andrew Miller which is pretty apropos. That's why the Tigers were unable to get better ML talent in exchange for him when they were shopping him to several teams at the trade deadline. If Turner's stuff magically comes back and he goes on to become an all star, I'll gladly eat some crow.

Out of curiosity, how would pitching a full season improve Turner's ERA? I would think his ERA could just as easily go up as it could go down or is there something about pitching more than automatically means a pitcher's ERA will decrease?
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
If Jacob Turner still had ace stuff, the Tigers wouldn't have traded him and a catching prospect for a middle of the rotation pitcher and a journeyman utility player. Jacob Turner used to have ace stuff coming out of HS, but he hasn't shown anything close to that in over a year. Basically, he looks like the second coming of Andrew Miller which is pretty apropos. That's why the Tigers were unable to get better ML talent in exchange for him when they were shopping him to several teams at the trade deadline. If Turner's stuff magically comes back and he goes on to become an all star, I'll gladly eat some crow.

Out of curiosity, how would pitching a full season improve Turner's ERA? I would think his ERA could just as easily go up as it could go down or is there something about pitching more than automatically means a pitcher's ERA will decrease?
He pitched 8 scoreless innings last night lol

I think his ERA as a Marlin is 3.30 now.. pretty good for a defacto rookie IMO

As for your question.. I know you want to analyze everything I say so you can attack me on it but.... most pitchers improve with seasoning... pretty easy to follow and well known fact right there lol
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post

Exactly- I was born in Michigan so I grew up and still am a big Tiger fan (Just as big a Marlin fan, but the difference is I can't go to Tiger games reguarly). I hated Turner along with many other Tiger fans, and for some reason Marlin fans are blinded to see he isn't ace material. Sure he has pitched decent since he has been on Miami, but that'll change most likely. He doesn't dominate hitters like he did when he came out of HS, which is one thing an ace has to do. I dont care that he threw 7.2 scoreless yesterday, it was against a sorry Mets team and he only had 4 Ks. He almost never averages a K per inning like almost every ace, and seems to be having trouble with command with 5 walks in his last 2 starts.

That said I don't mind the trade for the fish, we got Brantly who the Tigers have no spot for and I think he'll be a good player. He has a reaaal nice stroke and hung around 300 in his 100 ABs this year (That makes him a rookie next year, right?). We weren't resigning Anibal, so it was basically Infante for Turner and Brantly. I think Turner can stick around as our #3 starter, maybe better if he can get some Velo back, and Brantly can permanently replace the lump behind the plate name John Buck.

Quote:
He pitched 8 scoreless innings last night lol

I think his ERA as a Marlin is 3.30 now.. pretty good for a defacto rookie IMO

As for your question.. I know you want to analyze everything I say so you can attack me on it but.... most pitchers improve with seasoning... pretty easy to follow and well known fact right there lol