Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Which Los Angeles Baseball Team Was a Bigger Disappointment This Year?
The Angels 29 80.56%
The Dodgers 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Two Teams from the City of Angels: Which Was the Bigger Disappointment This Year?

Your Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Los Angeles Dodgers have both missed the playoffs despite lofty preseason expectations, midseason transactions and September surges.

Here's a simple question: which Los Angeles team was a bigger disappointment this year?

In my humblest of humble opinions, you've gotta go with the Angels. They threw boatloads of money at Pujols and Hipster C.J. Wilson in the offseason and ended up leaning on a 20-year-old kid for most of the year.

I must say, however, that the Dodgers' futility on offense is remarkable in itself. I think the season is best summarized in a September 11th game against the Diamondbacks, which they lost by the score of one to nothing. Your 2-6 hitters that day were Victorino-Gonzalez-Kemp-Ramirez-Ethier, and Ian Kennedy -- in all his mediocrity and 4.21 ERA -- throws 7.1 shutout innings for the victory. Clayton Kershaw, arguably the best pitcher in the National League this year, takes the loss by giving up just that single run, which happened to be a direct result of a Hanley Ramirez throwing error.

There will be baseball in California this October -- just not in the City of Angels.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I agree with you that it's the Angels. They went over the top and spent all that money on Pujols and wilson and received mediocre numbers. The angels have 5 pitchers earning 10Million or more and the only pitchers that earned it were weaver and maybe greinke. santana ERA is in the 5's and haren is in the 4's. It's just not what you expect from a lineup thats costing over 50 million a year.

I dont orry about the dodgers to much. I think they threw a team together mid season and never were able to get in the swing of things. Look out for next year when this team gets in a groove.
Lastminute73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastminute73 View Post
I agree with you that it's the Angels. They went over the top and spent all that money on Pujols and wilson and received mediocre numbers. The angels have 5 pitchers earning 10Million or more and the only pitchers that earned it were weaver and maybe greinke. santana ERA is in the 5's and haren is in the 4's. It's just not what you expect from a lineup thats costing over 50 million a year.

I dont orry about the dodgers to much. I think they threw a team together mid season and never were able to get in the swing of things. Look out for next year when this team gets in a groove.
If they can resign some of the traded parts...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to slugger82685

gotta be the Angels by far....they had a ton of expectations right from the start of the season. The Dodgers werent really expected to do much and then they had a fast start to the season and it seemed like they could be contenders, but then they made those huge trades at the deadline and I actually think that hurt them because it just ruined their flow. Plus they needed pitching as well as hitting, what they should have done is just done the Hanley trade then looked for a starting pitcher instead of making that huge trade with the Red Sox. I think that trade is gonna hurt them more financially than they realize. I know they keep saying the money doesnt matter, just make the team better, but those contracts are gonna kill them for the next few years. They are business men, if they can't turn a profit because of that huge payroll then things will have to change and that luxury tax wont help them.
slugger82685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would go with the Angels. They were favorites right after they signed Pujols and C.J. Wilson and to have Trout come out of nowhere and produce like he did and still not make the playoffs? Grant it, the A's had an amazing season but the Angels never really looked strong during the season.

As for the Dodgers, no one expected them to contend this year (not even me) and when they started hot without Kemp it was minor league players doing it. After their trades, however, there were a ton of expectations on a very winable NL West race. It was clear though that they couldn't develop any chemistry. Kemp struggled, Gonzalez struggled, Victorino struggled, Ethier struggled and just couldn't produce the runs that they should have. I am hopeful that next season, after a full spring training together, things will be better but if 2013 is a repeat of 2012's 2nd the Dodgers are going to be the most disappointing team in L.A.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

For Dodgers fans...I'm curious if you folks ever got the feeling you were really going for it this year when Ramirez et al. came over?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not even close its the Angels, who thought the Dodgers were going to win the World Series? No one. EVERYONE picked the Angels.

Even after they acquired the Boston rejects they still werent picked to do much.

Angels should have at least made the wild card, epic disappoinment
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I dont understand the name... Why not just stick with LA Angels or Anaheim Angels?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think the Dodgers are preparing for next season (as for reasons w/all the trades) IMO.
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=300+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
For Dodgers fans...I'm curious if you folks ever got the feeling you were really going for it this year when Ramirez et al. came over?
I don't think they were going for this season. The trades were more to show the fans they were serious about winning and that they are willing to spend. With the guys we acquired (Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett, Ramirez) and the players we have signed (Kemp, Ethier) we have a good core of players for the next 2years with the outfield and Gonzalez signed through 2016 (I think). Kershaw should be the Dodgers next priority and I know that most people think Beckett/Crawford/Hanley/Gonzalez are on the decline, I still have hope that they can turn it around and become contenders next year and for years to come. *****Completely biased opinion!!!!!******

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2001 View Post
I dont understand the name... Why not just stick with LA Angels or Anaheim Angels?
It's so illogical. I know why Moreno made the change, I just dont' understand how MLB allowed him to do it. They're not even in the same county!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

neither disappointed, they did exactly what I wanted them to
CubsFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote