Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The 1320th post about the playoffs- Strasburg style

**I'm making this statement strictly on the ASSUMPTION that Strasburg is still working out and on some sort of throwing schedule for maintenance.**

If you're the Nationals GM and your team makes it out of the first round, do you go against everything you've said all year and reactivate Strasburg?

His arm will have had a few weeks off from game action, so he'll obviously be fresh. Even if you only use him for 2-4 games, it's still a boost to the pitching staff and it's a relatively low risk of anything happening to his million dollar elbow.

He's going to do nothing but make the team better, and obviously increases your WS chances big time.

What say you?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

No.

You shut him down. If you reactivate him and he gets hurt... oh man.

I wish they would have him at least in the BP, but I think there is no chance. 100% no strasburg. Too bad too since he is your best pitcher.
houdini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

WS, Game 7, yes, he's the starter...other than that, absolutely not.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

I'd start him game one of the NLDS. Then again, I'm not one of the morons who run the Nationals nor do I have Boras threatening me if I do choose to pitch him.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

You cant just ask Strasburg, because he's obviously going to say yes.

I think there's 2 thought processes to follow here:

1) The team really didnt miss a beat without him, so why risk the injury reactivating?
2) He's going to give you 2-4 starts (NLCS & WS). What would a maximum of 24 innings hurt (6 per start)?

Honestly, I can understand WHY they shut him down. But on the flip side, who's to say the Nats will be here next year? You've gotta get the W when you can...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3469 View Post
You cant just ask Strasburg, because he's obviously going to say yes.

I think there's 2 thought processes to follow here:

1) The team really didnt miss a beat without him, so why risk the injury reactivating?
2) He's going to give you 2-4 starts (NLCS & WS). What would a maximum of 24 innings hurt (6 per start)?

Honestly, I can understand WHY they shut him down. But on the flip side, who's to say the Nats will be here next year? You've gotta get the W when you can...
If the Nats dont pitch him, and they don't make and win the WS, IMO it may be something they regret for years. Having a good team on paper doesn't guarantee you #@#@#@#@ - see 2011 Red Sox, Phillies, etc.

There is no guarantee they get to a WS or even the playoffs next year. THIS YEAR, they have a great shot IMO with Strasburg.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
But on the flip side, who's to say the Nats will be here next year?
Definitely a valid point, but this team has all the ingredients of a perennial contender IMO. Young, rock-solid rotation in Strasburg, Gonzalez and Zimmermann (hell, throw Detwiler in there, he's been fantastic as well), great young, offensive talent and a few guys in the farm system who could play key roles in the near future. The Nats aren't going away anytime soon.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You've gotta get the W when you can...
I agree. I understand why they shut him down early and agree with it, but in professional sports you have to go all in when you have the chance to win it all.

As far as bringing him back for the playoffs, no way. He will try and help the team win so badly, then he will probably over do it and hurt him self again. I believe that's how he got hurt before.

He had a lot of hype and alot of money spent on signing him. The poor kid had alot of pressure on him and when you throw 98mph-100mph you can get hurt easily no matter who you are. He probably over did it trying to live up to everything and not let anyone down or him self down.

So imagine how he will feel if re-actived to pitch in the playoffs? No way let him do that.
matt6822 is offline   Reply With Quote