Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
some issues with cards like the blacks is that the set builders of those all buy direct offline now because a couple years back they got into bidding wars
commons were going $50-$150 each sometimes as only ones listed, it was nuts, so us case breakers kinda hurt ourselves by selling those or complete gold sets offline as then there is less bids and less shown completed sold auctions which can help without a doubt

BUT you do right by starting at $5 each, helps so much and they are limited so no rush to sell, I have seen blacks go up after a couple weeks when even more scarce, and free listings

I do agree with not-so-op going fixed
and you did well on the harper BUT have seen it go the other way too, where a FP sits there and sits there while market drops too fast
Yea I was only going to keep that Harper up for a day, would have been a 1 day auction after I got some exposure, or got no good offers.

Will probably do the same thing for chrome FB, colors will NOT be being started at .99 unless its one of the top rookies, or perhaps someone like tebow or a veteran who sells way too well.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
I do agree with not-so-op going fixed
and you did well on the harper BUT have seen it go the other way too, where a FP sits there and sits there while market drops too fast
Plan was to list as BIN/BO until 9pm, then cancel and list as 1-day if I didn't get what I wanted. Feel like that is a solid method, especially when breaking/listing on a Wednesday. I got the $225 offer almost immediately.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #103 (permalink)

I got the rest of my base sets out this morning (13 total), double-checked each one. Feels really nice to have those out of the way. Now I get to focus on completing my sparkle and gold sets. And selling giveaway cards. And selling the rest of my singles and inserts. And putting together a few more base sets if possible. And ... and ...

Brent, when you told me not to be surprised if it took me a full two weeks to complete a release ... that might have been an underestimation.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #104 (permalink)

Awesome thread. Good luck on the gold and gold sparkle sets.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Listed the big hits as BIN/BO on Wednesday ... all sold same day.

I listed all black parallels, silks, and autos on Thursday night as 3-day auctions, sold about 30% of everything and did well on prices. Relisted everything else as 3-day last night.
Interesting - how did you come up with values for the big hits to list as BIN/BO out of the gate? What % hit your full BIN price?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
I got the rest of my base sets out this morning (13 total), double-checked each one. Feels really nice to have those out of the way. Now I get to focus on completing my sparkle and gold sets. And selling giveaway cards. And selling the rest of my singles and inserts. And putting together a few more base sets if possible. And ... and ...

Brent, when you told me not to be surprised if it took me a full two weeks to complete a release ... that might have been an underestimation.
I must be fast then All I have left is to ship out the sets and list by last 10 hits or so....I usually shoot for a week, sometimes it becomes 10 days...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
I must be fast then All I have left is to ship out the sets and list by last 10 hits or so....I usually shoot for a week, sometimes it becomes 10 days...
You don't have a wife with needs and three kids. Yet.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't have a wife with needs and three kids. Yet.
True Didn't think about that, but usually the sets are the last thing I get done, just seems to happen that way, I hate sorting.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Interesting - how did you come up with values for the big hits to list as BIN/BO out of the gate? What % hit your full BIN price?
Good question. None hit the full BIN price, but all met/exceeded my expectations. For the Harper, I saw that the first one was listed on Tuesday as a 1-day auction for $350, and received one bid. That was my starting point. (There was another 1-day auction going, sitting at $110 with about 6 hours left.) So I set a BIN of $300, operating under the assumption that the first one went for way too much, and told myself I would accept $250. I got an offer of $225, and had to either accept or counter and risk it. Talked with my wife, she said she thought it seemed like a good price so I accepted. Turns out she was very right.

For the Mantle, I initially set a VERY high BIN ($500), then brought it down to $300 as there were already a couple other 1-day auctions going. I got a $210 offer and I pinged Brent immediately. He said those type cards usually sold for $175-$225 out the gate, so $210 was a good price.

For the Youk SSP, I listed for $200 BIN (setting expectations below "Rally Squirrel" prices), and it sat there for a while, and soon enough it was about one of 8 on eBay. First one sold for $50, so the market on those was already saturated. I also had the Adrian Gonzalez SSP, and it was literally the only one on eBay for 24 hours (listed at $300 BIN and kept it there). This gave me reason to believe it was a shorter print than the Youkilis, (and I'm still not entirely convinced otherwise). So when I received an offer for $40 for the Youk, I sent a message to the prospective buyer and let him know I also had the Gonzalez, "only one on eBay for 24 hours". Told him I could accept $230 for the pair, and he agreed.

I may not have done things entirely the "right way", and I might have been a little lucky, but everything seemed to work out.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #110 (permalink)

This may be a naive question, so bear with me. But I am more interested in breaking cases for fun and keeping what I want out of them, and then unloading stuff I don't want or need. I am a real big Heritage collector, so I want to buy a 2013 case for around what BO has it at presell ~725. If I keep a master set and just sold off any extra base sets, sp's and hits, how much would I expect to recoup? Obviously not trying to profit since I want to keep some stuff, but I think it would be cool to start doing cases if I can recoup say 50-60% each time.

I was thinking about Update but I bought a set from Calculus so the only reason to buy now would be to unload stuff, so its not worth it.

Also, is there any real market for Heritage Minors, those case seems cheap and since I like Heritage why not fulfill my OCD set making desire, I was wondering if there was any recouping of any kind of $$ after keep a set there as well??
Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlittle1981 View Post
This may be a naive question, so bear with me. But I am more interested in breaking cases for fun and keeping what I want out of them, and then unloading stuff I don't want or need. I am a real big Heritage collector, so I want to buy a 2013 case for around what BO has it at presell ~725. If I keep a master set and just sold off any extra base sets, sp's and hits, how much would I expect to recoup? Obviously not trying to profit since I want to keep some stuff, but I think it would be cool to start doing cases if I can recoup say 50-60% each time.

I was thinking about Update but I bought a set from Calculus so the only reason to buy now would be to unload stuff, so its not worth it.

Also, is there any real market for Heritage Minors, those case seems cheap and since I like Heritage why not fulfill my OCD set making desire, I was wondering if there was any recouping of any kind of $$ after keep a set there as well??
Not a naive question at all. I plan to hold back a couple of base sets for my boys when it's all over (I will actually have to procure a little extra base due to Topps lame printing errors).

For Heritage, as I understand it the master sets sell really well, and thus are a major source of profit from busting those cases. I expect others will chime in, but I would estimate you could probably get yourself a free master set if you busted 3 cases of Heritage. But again, it requires a lot of patience and diligence in selling everything else off. Just takes time.

Thanks again for buying a set. I had some issues early on with buyers saying they were missing cards, so I actually triple-checked yours.

PS - I love the Heritage Minors stuff, but it just does not sell. Saw a complete set with all 25 SPs (which are hard to come by), sold for like $150 I think. On the plus side, Keith Olbermann bought it, so you've always got that. (I initially said it included variations, but I was wrong. Actually, $150 is not bad, so you might be able to just ignore everything I'm saying. Even this.)

Last edited by calculusdork; 10-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Not a naive question at all. I plan to hold back a couple of base sets for my boys when it's all over (I will actually have to procure a little extra base due to Topps lame printing errors).

For Heritage, as I understand it the master sets sell really well, and thus are a major source of profit from busting those cases. I expect others will chime in, but I would estimate you could probably get yourself a free master set if you busted 3 cases of Heritage. But again, it requires a lot of patience and diligence in selling everything else off. Just takes time.

Thanks again for buying a set. I had some issues early on with buyers saying they were missing cards, so I actually triple-checked yours.

PS - I love the Heritage Minors stuff, but it just does not sell. Saw a complete set with all 25 SPs (which are hard to come by), sold for like $150 I think. On the plus side, Keith Olbermann bought it, so you've always got that. (I initially said it included variations, but I was wrong. Actually, $150 is not bad, so you might be able to just ignore everything I'm saying. Even this.)
Well since I am kind of doing this for fun, 3 cases, may be a tall order. Dont know if I wanted to tie up $2200. But I really think I will at least get a case and go from there, we will see what I can recoup.

Don't worry about the set, even if there was a problem, I'm pretty easygoing.

I may pull the trigger on Minors, but I think those SP's are like 1:6 odds and if that trues I may not make my own master set from a 12 box case. Oh well at the very least, I'm in for a 2013 Heritage case.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlittle1981 View Post
Well since I am kind of doing this for fun, 3 cases, may be a tall order. Dont know if I wanted to tie up $2200. But I really think I will at least get a case and go from there, we will see what I can recoup.

Don't worry about the set, even if there was a problem, I'm pretty easygoing.

I may pull the trigger on Minors, but I think those SP's are like 1:6 odds and if that trues I may not make my own master set from a 12 box case. Oh well at the very least, I'm in for a 2013 Heritage case.

Thanks again!!
Correct, 1:6, and chances are you would probably be 1-2 cards short ... but you'd also be just a few cards short of another set. You could pick up a few singles and build / sell off an additional master set.

All depends on what you like to do. Less than $50 per box is pretty sweet.

I believe my next break will be Heritage as well. I just think I'm going to stay away from 2013 S1. Just seems like a perfect storm for anyone trying to make a profit of any kind. And no offense to you guys who have time and are happy breaking even and doing it just for fun ... but if I'm going to take time off work and away from my family, I at least want to make a little something.

Last edited by calculusdork; 10-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #114 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
no, that is too dependent on getting a hit
except maybe high end, then you are better off doing 0 or 1 as to opposed to 4

I know earlier in the thread you mentioned a good number for breaks is 4-6 cases to possibly make money or at least minimize the loss. My question is have you found that the more you open the less variance you encounter? Obviously this will not be the case on products that are just losers from the start but you do your diligence so within the products you break I guess is what I am wondering about.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I know earlier in the thread you mentioned a good number for breaks is 4-6 cases to possibly make money or at least minimize the loss. My question is have you found that the more you open the less variance you encounter? Obviously this will not be the case on products that are just losers from the start but you do your diligence so within the products you break I guess is what I am wondering about.
That should be true statistically, right? If the expected return on a case is X, then the average return per case will collapse toward the expectation as your number of cases increases. Ceteris paribus, that is ... we are assuming distribution of cards, packs, boxes, and cases is completely random, and there is no collusion anywhere in the process (cue the eye roll if you'd like).

Ah, but I guess the big variable in this is would be that prices are decreasing over time. So, somewhere in there, there ought to be a sweet-spot for number of cases to maximize average return. Very interesting.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
my goal even if a 60 case break is to have every card listed by Friday except a few more common extra hits like my 15th or 20th auto of some guy, but all singles listed by friday/saturday, then I sell leftover sets and lots for about a week...I like all singles (which is close to 2,000 usually) shipped no later than first Monday or Tuesday after break, then plan is to have everything sorted AND shipped and all sets/lots within 14-18 days depending on size of break.
I have kids too, wish they could help, lol, they HATE cards
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
my goal even if a 60 case break is to have every card listed by Friday except a few more common extra hits like my 15th or 20th auto of some guy, but all singles listed by friday/saturday, then I sell leftover sets and lots for about a week...I like all singles (which is close to 2,000 usually) shipped no later than first Monday or Tuesday after break, then plan is to have everything sorted AND shipped and all sets/lots within 14-18 days depending on size of break.
I have kids too, wish they could help, lol, they HATE cards
Wait, are you saying that for a typical Wednesday release (which you usually get Tuesday, not sure how you accomplish that ) you have all hits listed by the following Friday? Two days? Impossible. How is that possible. 2000 cards in 3 days? Scan & list? How? You must be, the One. And we live in the card matrix....
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Wait, are you saying that for a typical Wednesday release (which you usually get Tuesday, not sure how you accomplish that ) you have all hits listed by the following Friday? Two days? Impossible. How is that possible. 2000 cards in 3 days? Scan & list? How? You must be, the One. And we live in the card matrix....
Somewhere, on an island, Houdini and Brent are together, and they are laughing at all of us. And none of this is real.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
it does take out some of the luck, and less dependent on big hits, at least for lower end products
BUT each product has a sweet spot, as after a certain number of cases your sets are worth up to 50% less and your $10 autos are now $1 autos, etc... so more does not equal better...
example would be, if you did 10 cases of update and made $300 per case profit (just throwing out numbers), then that is $3k, but if you opened 20, and your profits fell to $200 per case, now you are at $4k, and it goes down per case from there

I do not like opening the qty I do, I do simply to fulfill set orders and take out some of the 'luck' involved; it is easier for me to predict the possible returns over a larger break

But just because case breaker A turns $X profit does not mean case breaker B will even turn a profit, I see it lots where many breakers who only sell on ebay and not diversify or don't have good contacts or a place for cases can lose $1000s and easily

most have no clue how much work is involved and how fast and prepared you must be, and they fail, especially when real work and life are involved
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
I get my cases on Wednesday not Tuesday.
I have detailed my process out numerous times here and in my articles, and I don't want to give all tips away, but I prefill TL with the checklist running an excel marco which takes 10 minutes to populate listings. All I have to do is add scans, which takes FOREVER, but in a 60 case break you have 80% doubles, triples, quads, etc... so after 1st 2 days it is just resubmitting the same listings, but you can see on my ebay that all my update was listed and sold already except some sets & lots, and all shipped yesterday...near 1,800 items
brentandbecca | eBay
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #121 (permalink)

anyhow, starting to say too much here, lol
going to be getting into things that took me years to learn thru countless research, experience, and $ losses, lol
I had 0 help, lol, I was one of like 2 guys when I started, so everyone else should go thru same failings so we can learn what is best for us all, lol
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
I get my cases on Wednesday not Tuesday.
I have detailed my process out numerous times here and in my articles, and I don't want to give all tips away, but I prefill TL with the checklist running an excel marco which takes 10 minutes to populate listings. All I have to do is add scans, which takes FOREVER, but in a 60 case break you have 80% doubles, triples, quads, etc... so after 1st 2 days it is just resubmitting the same listings, but you can see on my ebay that all my update was listed and sold already except some sets & lots, and all shipped yesterday...near 1,800 items
brentandbecca | eBay
Yeah, it's cool, I was more just trying to give you smug praise, really. You've got an amazing system down, I've looked over your completed many many times. It's just astounding. It helps not to have to scan every card. Using duplicate scans for the same (not identical) cards.

I still scan every card, front and back, because I still fear those buyers that will ding me for getting a card that isn't the IDENTICAL one in the scan. Trying to hold onto my TRS status. But then, I only busting 4-6 cases in basketball. I really don't feel like busting 40-60 cases. I'd have to quit my real full time job. I've got a nice groove going with NBA 4-6 case load, will keep this pace unless the market changes, in which case I hope I'm astute enough to change with it...
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #123 (permalink)

Without going into what has worked for me, what has resulted in better sales/profit I will say this:

SETS, SETS, SETS!!! I sell lots of them for a good price and even though I hate sorting (just reminded myself to buy the wife something nice for her help with sorting) it is worth the effort.

Do not underestimate the power of single players lots- even if they are not stars. I don't try and understand why collectors collect who they do I just try and sell the cards.

I put together large lots of refractors, base inserts and "left over stuff" and they sell.

Team lots/sets sell but only certain teams do well.

I soft sleeve keys cards of a set and if it is a really nice card I also place it in a top loader and team bag.

I also do some other nice things with my sets that bring back my cutomers even though I my sets are slightly above the avg price.

I apologize if I seem like I have some "trade secreats" that I am not sharing but I learned through trial/error how to make my sales go up.
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, it's cool, I was more just trying to give you smug praise, really. You've got an amazing system down, I've looked over your completed many many times. It's just astounding. It helps not to have to scan every card. Using duplicate scans for the same (not identical) cards.

I still scan every card, front and back, because I still fear those buyers that will ding me for getting a card that isn't the IDENTICAL one in the scan. Trying to hold onto my TRS status. But then, I only busting 4-6 cases in basketball. I really don't feel like busting 40-60 cases. I'd have to quit my real full time job. I've got a nice groove going with NBA 4-6 case load, will keep this pace unless the market changes, in which case I hope I'm astute enough to change with it...

I have never once had a buyer return, ding me, or complain about not getting card in scan. I did start putting in the description that I use stock photos on the auto cards just in case. I am usually TRS but sometimes get dinged for shipping time, but my stars have always been 5.0 and 4.9 and 100% fdbk. Unless folks are graded not sure it matters to most especially on common, lower end autos
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&M Sports Memorabil View Post
Without going into what has worked for me, what has resulted in better sales/profit I will say this:

SETS, SETS, SETS!!! I sell lots of them for a good price and even though I hate sorting (just reminded myself to buy the wife something nice for her help with sorting) it is worth the effort.

Do not underestimate the power of single players lots- even if they are not stars. I don't try and understand why collectors collect who they do I just try and sell the cards.

I put together large lots of refractors, base inserts and "left over stuff" and they sell.

Team lots/sets sell but only certain teams do well.

I soft sleeve keys cards of a set and if it is a really nice card I also place it in a top loader and team bag.

I also do some other nice things with my sets that bring back my cutomers even though I my sets are slightly above the avg price.

I apologize if I seem like I have some "trade secreats" that I am not sharing but I learned through trial/error how to make my sales go up.

There are many tips (maybe no secrets) that could be shared but it is different for everyone, and this is a small marketplace, when it gets overfilled it sucks for everyone. Right now we are at that point in BB where losses are starting to occur more often than not for case breakers and many are slowing down and not doing that many releases.

On the sleeve note, I have never sleeved cards in a set or team set, but team lots and player lots, etc can be another way to list....there are dozens of ways. I try to mix it up, BUT only because I have huge qty to move and if I only sold 1 way I could not move it as fast or reach as many buyers. It is easier to sell thru faster by offering a variety of listings, plus repeat & combined buyers that way.