Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who was the genius that decided to make the MLB playoffs this way???

First.. the second wild card was horrible. Teams barely above .500 took out teams that won 90 games in a 1 game winner take all.. how is that fair?

Now the team WITHOUT home field advantage gets games 1 and 2 at home?! What kind of BS is this? What's the point of winning more games if you have to be on the road for game 1 of a playoff series???

This format is horrible... Bud Selig should be ashamed of it.

EDIT: I thought the Cardinals only won around 83 games.. as pointed out they won 88.. still a low number for a playoff team, but more than I thought as well

Last edited by Imac7065; 10-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Imac7065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Winning the division gets you a bye now basically, so theres that. It could be improved, but they did it to get people more excited for September because more teams would be involved in the playoff race, which ultimately happened, so I have a feeling they won't change that until it stops working.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Winning the division gets you a bye now basically, so theres that. It could be improved, but they did it to get people more excited for September because more teams would be involved in the playoff race, which ultimately happened, so I have a feeling they won't change that until it stops working.
and the road team getting the first 2 games in the series....?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

It is this year only. Format changes next year.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

What teams barley above 500 took out a 90 plus game winner?

Cardinals (88-74) beat the Braves (94-68)

Orioles (93-69) beat the Rangers (93-69)

The cards and orioles are not subpar teams, so I'm not sure what you're referring too.
seancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancoyle View Post

The cards and orioles are not subpar teams, so I'm not sure what you're referring too.
Look at who the OP is and it explains a lot
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancoyle View Post

I thought the Cardinals only won 83 or so games.. so I apologize for that.. but imagine an 81-81 team playing a 93 or 94 win team for a 1 game playoff.. would that be fair? The Braves were in the playoffs for nearly a month.. then they get bounced in 1 game? (and I hate the Braves FYI lol)
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
I did say it could be improved, that would be something I was referring to.

We'd have the same problem with a potentially bad team getting in over a better team. There will always be an odd team out, that's how it works. Both the Rays and Angels this year had better records than the Tigers, yet the Tigers got in because they won their division, while the Angels and Rays placed third in very tough divisions.

Personally I'm in favor of two leagues of 15 teams each, and best 4-6 from each league get in, but I may be in the minority there.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.

Quote:
Less travel, quicker post season. The team with HTA would always have the ability to clinch at home.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

We'd have the same problem with a potentially bad team getting in over a better team. There will always be an odd team out, that's how it works. Both the Rays and Angels this year had better records than the Tigers, yet the Tigers got in because they won their division, while the Angels and Rays placed third in very tough divisions.

Personally I'm in favor of two leagues of 15 teams each, and best 4-6 from each league get in, but I may be in the minority there.
I've never had issues with divisions.. who's to say the rays or angels would still have that record if they played the same schedule as the tigers? Even in a 162 game season you can't have mirrored schedules... hence divisions are needed IMO...

I also like the wild card (the first one lol).. it allows a team to cancel out the your point of better records, and forces teams to go through 2 rounds of playoffs before getting to a championship.. both I think are good for the game.

Adding in ANOTHER wild card with this one game playoff though? Dumb IMO.. but will take time to see

the road team getting the first 2 games of a playoff series? Unexcusable lol
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't think you'll ever see two 15 team leagues just because of how difficult it would be to schedule. Unless interleague play becomes an "everyday" thing all season long.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Less travel, quicker post season. The team with HTA would always have the ability to clinch at home.
From Miami to Seattle it's about a 7 hour flight.. those are the 2 farthest teams in MLB (and they could only play in the World Series)... it's not 1950 anymore my friend.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
From Miami to Seattle it's about a 7 hour flight.. those are the 2 farthest teams in MLB (and they could only play in the World Series)... it's not 1950 anymore my friend.
It's one travel day instead of two in a 5 game series that's necessitated. They're not going to make someone fly across the country and play that night.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think you'll ever see two 15 team leagues just because of how difficult it would be to schedule. Unless interleague play becomes an "everyday" thing all season long.
Well then you must have missed this then

"With the Houston Astros moving to the AL West next year and creating two even 15-team leagues, interleague play will be an everyday necessity."

MLB releases 2013 schedule, now with year-round interleague play! | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
Cuddy Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Well interleague play every day will be starting next year already, scheduling wouldn't be that different I don't think. More traveling perhaps, that would be the only major road block.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddy Collector View Post
Well then you must have missed this then

"With the Houston Astros moving to the AL West next year and creating two even 15-team leagues, interleague play will be an everyday necessity."

MLB releases 2013 schedule, now with year-round interleague play! | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
Oh geez, I did forget about that. Well that'll be fine, it's worked for football forever.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I thought the Cardinals only won 83 or so games.. so I apologize for that.. but imagine an 81-81 team playing a 93 or 94 win team for a 1 game playoff.. would that be fair? The Braves were in the playoffs for nearly a month.. then they get bounced in 1 game? (and I hate the Braves FYI lol)
If the fifth best team in a league was 81-81, it wouldn't necessarily be mathematically correct unless there were a few insanely good 120 win teams trotting around out there.

Zero respect for the Cards, I see. Defending champs who've lost Allen Craig, Lance Berkman, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Matt Adams, and countless others for long stretches of time throughout the season who managed to win 88 games in spite of it all. With all of those guys, they surely project as a better club.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
If the fifth best team in a league was 81-81, it wouldn't necessarily be mathematically correct unless there were a few insanely good 120 win teams trotting around out there.

Zero respect for the Cards, I see. Defending champs who've lost Allen Craig, Lance Berkman, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Matt Adams, and countless others for long stretches of time throughout the season who managed to win 88 games in spite of it all. With all of those guys, they surely project as a better club.
They also play in one of the worst divisions in baseball, so congrats on backing into the playoffs for the 2nd straight year.
MVPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

The second Wild Card was supposed to be added next year but they decided to add it this year after the schedule was already done. They needed to cut a day off the divisional series so they went 2-3 starting at the lower seed (probably assuming that the home team would win the wild card games).

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the unbalanced schedule.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Because of the PLAY IN GAME, they lost a travel day.

Therefor, They had to 2-3 instead for 2-2-1.

They had to ensure both teams had at least 1 home game.

So it forced their hands on making the higher seed getting home field first.

Next year, they won't change the playoff format after the schedule comes out, so it will be corrected next year.

MLB is just lucky that there wasn't a play in game to get to the play in game. That would have screwed their entire plan up.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

I don't really understand all the hatred of the 2-3 series format. Sure, it makes more sense to do 2-2-1 or something like that, but they didn't have time for that this year because they changed the format so late, it will be back next year.

Anyways, take the Nats for example who had to go on the road for their first two games. All they need to do is win one road game and they're in the drivers seat. A good baseball team should be able to win one out of two on the road. Now they should be in good shape to win two out of three at home. Not sure how this is such a major disadvantage for the higher ranked team like people are playing it out to be...they still get more home games than away.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Oakland is getting swept tonight.

Cute story. They overachieved, but this now the playoffs and they aren't playing the Angels.

Blame the format, blame this blame that. Bottom line, Coco Crisp can't catch, and their bullpen made some bad errors as well.

Detroit just made fewer errors.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
It is this year only. Format changes next year.
You just mean the 2-3 game format right? They're still gonna keep the WC playoff game?
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPete View Post
They also play in one of the worst divisions in baseball, so congrats on backing into the playoffs for the 2nd straight year.
To back into the playoffs, you must end the season on a losing note. They won against the Astros in a complete game shutout by Chris Carpenter last season to secure a playoff berth. This season, the Cardinals clinched on a loss by the Dodgers and won the next day against the Reds to end the season on a winning note. Accordingly, they backed into the playoffs neither year.

Your knowledge of baseball is bad. It makes me sad when people don't understand things.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
You just mean the 2-3 game format right? They're still gonna keep the WC playoff game?
Correct.....
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote