Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Panini Vs. Everything Else

Since I have just began collecting baseball cards again (been out of it 20+ years) I have been reading alot of forums of what products are hot, good for prospecting etc...Out of curiousity and besides the whole non-licensing why are Panini brand cards not liked so much? And out of all there products which is the best as far as looks, value, checklist etc.....Prime cuts, limited cuts, cooperstown, donruss eee and what ever else there is of course.

Just curious because I received a free limited cuts box with a case purchase of Bowman and pulled a 1/1 Limited Cut Card that I think is pretty cool for a first time opening any pack of cards in the 21 century.
Cork&Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork&Fuzz View Post
Since I have just began collecting baseball cards again (been out of it 20+ years) I have been reading alot of forums of what products are hot, good for prospecting etc...Out of curiousity and besides the whole non-licensing why are Panini brand cards not liked so much? And out of all there products which is the best as far as looks, value, checklist etc.....Prime cuts, limited cuts, cooperstown, donruss eee and what ever else there is of course.

Just curious because I received a free limited cuts box with a case purchase of Bowman and pulled a 1/1 Limited Cut Card that I think is pretty cool for a first time opening any pack of cards in the 21 century.
I think what most people hate about panini is the product contents. Waaaay too many redemptions I think. A ton of no name prospects, poor quality control and even worse customer service from what I have read/heard. But I think the thing people hate most is the redemptions. I've heard a lot of people complain about the redemption program. (From what I have read here.) I've never actually bought an entire box of a Panini product. Just loose packs here and there. I've had pretty good luck but that's just me. My favorites to open have been Playoff Contenders and Donruss EEE. I've done fairly well with loose packs of these two. I think another thing people hate is the fact that they don't have an MLB license. So some of the products will not have an image of the player.
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Product content is boring. Their cards have horrible resale value. Their company has been dishonest by holding the best cards from a product aside and not putting them in packs. Im sure others will take the time to add to my list. Do yourself a favor and look in the opposite direction of Panini
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses....keep'um coming!
Cork&Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

One thing they've done that I haven't particularly appreciated is artificially raising the prices on their baseball sets by threatening to revoke their license with dealers if they didn't comply with their established pricing. If I recall correctly it was $100 for Extra Edition, and $140 for Contenders, both of which were completely absurd given how much high print run filler you were guaranteed to get in both. It says something that 2011 Extra Edition prices are bottoming out, while the similar 2011 Bowman Draft product, which is definitely a mid-range set, has been gradually on the rise. It's kinda funny seeing Bowman Draft, which I remember seeing on Blowout as low as $55, now staying put in the $80-90 range, while Contenders and Extra edition have been getting worse and worse. There's tremendous crossover in the big names in those sets, those names leading to increased popularity for Draft, but Extra Edition and Contenders are both so horribly configured that even the big names aren't saving it.

Good advice for any collector with their eye on Panini is to not buy any of it until well after the prices have gone down, sticking to buying individual cards if they're interested in prospecting. Their release prices are absolutely brutal.
hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Century Collection seems to be the only product of theirs I enjoyed and bought multiple boxes of. Actually had decent resale value when you could get them at around $75.00. Not sure what they are at now.

Bill

WHMCJR's Trading card site
chilly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundley View Post
One thing they've done that I haven't particularly appreciated is artificially raising the prices on their baseball sets by threatening to revoke their license with dealers if they didn't comply with their established pricing. If I recall correctly it was $100 for Extra Edition, and $140 for Contenders, both of which were completely absurd given how much high print run filler you were guaranteed to get in both. It says something that 2011 Extra Edition prices are bottoming out, while the similar 2011 Bowman Draft product, which is definitely a mid-range set, has been gradually on the rise. It's kinda funny seeing Bowman Draft, which I remember seeing on Blowout as low as $55, now staying put in the $80-90 range, while Contenders and Extra edition have been getting worse and worse. There's tremendous crossover in the big names in those sets, those names leading to increased popularity for Draft, but Extra Edition and Contenders are both so horribly configured that even the big names aren't saving it.

Good advice for any collector with their eye on Panini is to not buy any of it until well after the prices have gone down, sticking to buying individual cards if they're interested in prospecting. Their release prices are absolutely brutal.
Agreed and great post. Having said that I love donruss elite at current levels $67-70 a box. This product still has very good long term potential and is much better overall than contenders baseball for less $ the 2011 product is licensed by MLBPA.

Last edited by BOOMER7; 10-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.
BOOMER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Product content is boring. Their cards have horrible resale value. Their company has been dishonest by holding the best cards from a product aside and not putting them in packs. Im sure others will take the time to add to my list. Do yourself a favor and look in the opposite direction of Panini
-Ugly design
-Stickers, stickers, stickers
-No team licensing/players wearing wifebeaters
-MAPP artificially raising prices
etc, etc, etc
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Only Panini baseball product I like is EEE baseball

Rest of them, look like crap IMO

Last edited by ajscards101; 10-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Panini=Douchery.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Worst thing about panini and baseball

2011 they try to make baseball it is brutal for box price..

Now they are redoing there products for 2012 and saying there better this year and we will drop the prices

To me that is a slap in the face...

We know we screwed everyone in 2011 but come back and buy are 2012 products

IE Prime cuts...
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Waaaay too many redemptions I think. A ton of no name prospects, poor quality control and even worse customer service from what I have read/heard. But I think the thing people hate most is the redemptions. I've heard a lot of people complain about the redemption program.
after ignoring the first sentence, I coulda swore you were talking about Topps
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinar View Post
after ignoring the first sentence, I coulda swore you were talking about Topps
LOL. I guess this applies to them all!
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote